What political trends you don't like about your state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:37:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What political trends you don't like about your state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What political trends you don't like about your state?  (Read 8900 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:10:18 PM »

In this thread, mention which way your state is trending and explain why you don't like it.
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -0.87

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »

NY is trending democratic, and in particular the left wing of the democrats. We're already over-regulated, over-taxed and have little prospect of this changing anytime soon. The only good part of it is legalization of gay marriage.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2011, 09:32:46 PM by MagneticFree »

CO is trending DEM, everything is getting expensive, too many transplants from the west coast and east coast. Lack of good jobs anymore.

All I can say is if you're moving here, enjoy it while it lasts. Four seasons, nice but can get old after living here since 1988. The snow sucks, CDOT doesn't take care of the roads.
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:32:44 PM »

Colorado is still trending Democratic even after what we've seen so far in Obama's term?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2011, 09:36:13 PM by MagneticFree »

Colorado is still trending Democratic even after what we've seen so far in Obama's term?
Look at the 2010 elections and you can see for yourself. Senator Bennet BARELY won, but polls suggested he would of lost to Buck. CD-7 is 'competitive' but Ed Permutter won without a sweat.

CO is overated, sad to say
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »

Look at the 2010 elections and you can see for yourself. Senator Bennet BARELY won, but polls suggested he would of lost to Buck. CD-7 is 'competitive' but Ed Permutter won without a sweat.
How unfortunate. The only silver lining, is that I think the economic trouble that is slowly starting to creep up on us will have a decent chance of changing that.

One question though. Presuming Obama gets reelected narrowly and has a second term much like how his first has gone so far, which way do you think CO would trend?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:40:31 PM »

It would be trending DEM. Why would CO vote for Obama 2nd term if the economy is in the tank and lack of decent paying jobs(not talking about fastfood or grey collar service jobs). I can understand the Hispanic migration to Denver suburbs and their voting habits.

I just don't like how people moving from other liberal states (CA, WA, IL, NY)and having to change CO the way it once was.
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »

The trends of people moving from other liberal states and open borders with Mexico   probably won't change anytime soon, so I fear we'll just have to get used to it. It's unfortunate but such is life. It could be worse, though. Instead of being in Colorado you could be in a deep blue area like I am.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »

My state was trending pretty Dem back in 2005-2009. Specifically since the NOVA suburbs where I live was and still is becoming increasingly urbanized and diverse(especially Fairfax County which has basically become an extension of Alexandra/Arlington).  

However, it looks like for now the Dem's long march has been halted due to the decrease in Obama's approval's since 2009(Bob McDonnell's popular, the Dem's lost 3 House seat's in 2010, and it looks increasingly like the Democrats will also take a beating in the local/state elections later this year). In matter of fact to expand on my last point, the Democrats have had trouble even finding candidates to run in my county and many other parts of NOVA as well this November. Also to add, many voters around here who turned on the Republicans in the time frame I mentioned earlier in my post seem increasingly likely to do the same overall here in November to the Dems, with the previously mentioned party looking like it will lose it's foothold and control of many offices in my county.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »

Mississippi is trending GOP at the state level, which kind of upsets me for some reason.  Pretty son there'll be no more Dixiecrats, no more "good ol' boy" network, no more Billy McCoy!   Mississippi politics are about to enter a new era of Republican dominance at the state level, and nostalgia for the golden days is setting in!
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:46 PM »

Mississippi is trending GOP at the state level, which kind of upsets me for some reason.  Pretty son there'll be no more Dixiecrats, no more "good ol' boy" network, no more Billy McCoy!   Mississippi politics are about to enter a new era of Republican dominance at the state level, and nostalgia for the golden days is setting in!
How is this a bad thing? The "good ol' boy network" produced decades of corruption and poverty.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »

California isn't really trending one way or the other. It will continue to be a state that is democrat at every level of government, which it has been for 50 years and was obscured by landslides in the 70s and 80s.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »

California isn't really trending one way or the other. It will continue to be a state that is democrat at every level of government, which it has been for 50 years and was obscured by landslides in the 70s and 80s.

Well, California is trending more towards being a Hispanic-Democrat state.  Currently the State Democratic party is basically run out of a San Francisco Starbucks (figuratively speaking), but increasing Hispanic growth means that's probably not going to be sustainable in the future.  Consider the Central-valley water dispute as an example of how the two groups might wind up against each other.

I wonder what the racial breakdown of the CA Democratic primary electorate actually is.  Hispanics have lower participation rates, but whites are much more evenly spread between Democrats and Republicans.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 03:04:25 AM »

Not trending D enough.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2011, 09:45:38 AM by Anonymous Irish Alcoholic »

Well my state has been trending R long enough.
Oklahoma used to be somewhat in the opposite direction with Dixiecrats dominating in most places outside of the Tulsa area and maybe the northwestern part of the state.  Granted those Democrats were a lot more conservative than the average Democrat so it's not like much has changed anyway............
Not saying I would prefer blue state domination but a liberal or two would make things interesting.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 12:28:54 PM »

How is this a bad thing? The "good ol' boy network" produced decades of corruption and poverty.

It'll be something that my children and grandchildren have to read about in history books instead of actually experiencing...
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »

What do you like about Dixiecrats?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 09:28:17 PM »

What do you like about Dixiecrats?

Two Words:  States' Rights
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 12:29:50 AM »

I don't like how Columbus is trending Democratic after long being a bastion of conservatism. I don't like how Ohio is in economic ruin, particularly northern Ohio where I have lived for my entire life.

I do like how Ohio is (very) slowly trending toward the GOP. I sort of feel like we're frozen in time watching the nation move to the left. The classical Democratic bastions in Ohio are the sort of blue-collar heavily Catholic rust belt towns the Republicans are actually gaining ground in.

Too bad that if the trends continue the way they are currently, the entire state will live in Columbus in 100 years.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »

I'd like to see Western PA go back to the Democrats (Mondale won 9 PA counties that Obama lost) as opposed to being swing-lean D. Actually, I'd be willing nationwide to trade rich Philadelphia/California suburbs to get back the Rustbelt in eastern Ohio, Western PA, WV, etc. I want to bring about a new New Deal Coalition, of the white working class, college students, ethnic minorities, liberal intellectuals, union members (sort of connected with the first one) with a Democratic party closer to Bernie Sanders and Sherrod Brown than Barack Obama and Tim Kaine.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »

Washington.... hm. I guess as a whole the state is still (barely) trending democratic. What bother's me more is the politics on the Eastern side of the state which basically amounts to Idaho V 2.0.

The worst trend in the state is a movement towards direct democracy. Idiots like Tim Eyeman propose measures every single year to limit the state government, and of course once in a blue moon they actually succeed. I wish there was a limit of times you could vote on measures that were basically the same thing (for example look at Seattle's failed monorail project).
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »

I don't like the fact that my state have been trending towards the Democrats since Prescott Bush was in office.
Hopefully parts of the state (like Lichtfield County) will become more competitive in the future, as it really has no business being a Democratic One-Party state.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »

I don't like the fact that my state have been trending towards the Democrats since Prescott Bush was in office.
Hopefully parts of the state (like Lichtfield County) will become more competitive in the future, as it really has no business being a Democratic One-Party state.

Hey now, you Republicans got 16 years as Governor and almost won in 2010. You also go to elect Joe Lieberman to the US Senate.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 05:17:49 PM »

I'm a Republican in NY.  Need I say more?
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »

I'm a Republican in NY.  Need I say more?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies