What political trends you don't like about your state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:36:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What political trends you don't like about your state?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What political trends you don't like about your state?  (Read 8772 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »

You had Pataki for 12 years.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 11:20:27 PM »

Is that supposed to make me feel better?
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -0.87

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 12:01:55 AM »

Outside of deep blue areas, Pataki would be clearly to the left of most democrats, much less non-NY republicans.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 04:25:12 AM »

I don't like the fact that my state have been trending towards the Democrats since Prescott Bush was in office.
Hopefully parts of the state (like Lichtfield County) will become more competitive in the future, as it really has no business being a Democratic One-Party state.

Hey now, you Republicans got 16 years as Governor and almost won in 2010. You also go to elect Joe Lieberman to the US Senate.

Indeed we did, but that is chickensh**t compared to having full controll of the state legislature and the Congressional delegation, as the Democrats have today.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 07:35:59 AM »

I was speaking solely about Federal politics (and being from NY), but Ok Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:04 AM »

I don't like the fact that my state have been trending towards the Democrats since Prescott Bush was in office.
Hopefully parts of the state (like Lichtfield County) will become more competitive in the future, as it really has no business being a Democratic One-Party state.

Hey now, you Republicans got 16 years as Governor and almost won in 2010. You also go to elect Joe Lieberman to the US Senate.

Indeed we did, but that is chickensh**t compared to having full controll of the state legislature and the Congressional delegation, as the Democrats have today.

You did have a majority of US Representatives until 2006.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »

Don't you mean "horsesh*t"?  Cos Chickensh**t means being ascared.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »

I'd like to see Western PA go back to the Democrats (Mondale won 9 PA counties that Obama lost) as opposed to being swing-lean D. Actually, I'd be willing nationwide to trade rich Philadelphia/California suburbs to get back the Rustbelt in eastern Ohio, Western PA, WV, etc. I want to bring about a new New Deal Coalition, of the white working class, college students, ethnic minorities, liberal intellectuals, union members (sort of connected with the first one) with a Democratic party closer to Bernie Sanders and Sherrod Brown than Barack Obama and Tim Kaine.

Impossible. There simply aren't enough working class whites in good paying jobs (industry, auto-manufacturing). The old UAW workers are now living in the suburbs, and vote based on cultural issues. Today's union members are mostly hispanic and black service employees who don't make very much money and rely heavily on the state, rather than on the company.

I used to agree with your basic attitudes, in that I was a big supporter of the NDC and believed that it could be duplicated in today's climate. But then I read more about it and came to this conclusion: Every political generation has it's own coalitions, but they can't remain stagnant. The New Deal coalition served it's purpose in the 1930, 40s, and 50s. There was a general post-war consensus within the Democratic Party that government intervention into the economy generated jobs and growth for everyone. That was largely because we weren't competing with anyone as they had all gotten the sh**t bombed out of them. Our economy was thriving, revenue came pouring in, and we could afford a heavily involved government. Then social issues cropped up, leading Southern whites and later the WWC to vote for Republicans like Nixon and Reagan. At the same time, the Democrats began to do better among women, young people, and eventually suburbanites. However with folks like McGovern and Mondale, we clung to the old New Deal mantra. In the economy of post-1960s America, that was simply untenable. Competing with Germany, Japan, China, and the developing world, we can't believe that more government will solve our problems. Clinton recognized that, creating a New Democratic coalition based on the suburbs, minorities, and women. They supported less government intervention in the economy, were socially liberal, and wanted to change the way the welfare state functioned. Obama has built on this.

In short, we can't have the NDC back, nor should we want it. The protectionism of Sherrod Brown and Bernie Sanders hurts many more Americans than it helps. Sure, what's left of our paltry manufacturing base will benefit. But what about consumers, farmers, and tech workers? They have to pay more and sell less of their products. In today's economy, we can't pander to the old wwc which no longer exists in the way it used to. The New Democratic Party needs to be based around smart education, energy, and investment. Not big government.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »

In France ? Almost everything : growing populism, politicians who care only about their image, ideological blindness or cowardice making it impossible to seriously change things...

In Italy, the trend is rather positive in these times.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 04:00:23 PM »

You did have a majority of US Representatives until 2006.

Yes, but how many of those districts are competitive as of today? Probably only the 4th and the 5th, but we failed there in 2010.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »

Impossible. There simply aren't enough working class whites in good paying jobs (industry, auto-manufacturing). The old UAW workers are now living in the suburbs, and vote based on cultural issues. Today's union members are mostly hispanic and black service employees who don't make very much money and rely heavily on the state, rather than on the company.

I used to agree with your basic attitudes, in that I was a big supporter of the NDC and believed that it could be duplicated in today's climate. But then I read more about it and came to this conclusion: Every political generation has it's own coalitions, but they can't remain stagnant. The New Deal coalition served it's purpose in the 1930, 40s, and 50s. There was a general post-war consensus within the Democratic Party that government intervention into the economy generated jobs and growth for everyone. That was largely because we weren't competing with anyone as they had all gotten the sh**t bombed out of them. Our economy was thriving, revenue came pouring in, and we could afford a heavily involved government. Then social issues cropped up, leading Southern whites and later the WWC to vote for Republicans like Nixon and Reagan. At the same time, the Democrats began to do better among women, young people, and eventually suburbanites. However with folks like McGovern and Mondale, we clung to the old New Deal mantra. In the economy of post-1960s America, that was simply untenable. Competing with Germany, Japan, China, and the developing world, we can't believe that more government will solve our problems. Clinton recognized that, creating a New Democratic coalition based on the suburbs, minorities, and women. They supported less government intervention in the economy, were socially liberal, and wanted to change the way the welfare state functioned. Obama has built on this.

In short, we can't have the NDC back, nor should we want it. The protectionism of Sherrod Brown and Bernie Sanders hurts many more Americans than it helps. Sure, what's left of our paltry manufacturing base will benefit. But what about consumers, farmers, and tech workers? They have to pay more and sell less of their products. In today's economy, we can't pander to the old wwc which no longer exists in the way it used to. The New Democratic Party needs to be based around smart education, energy, and investment. Not big government.

The same Democratic party which continuously compromises the welfare of the people to support the rich base, and puts gay marriage above infrastructure? Don't get me wrong, I'm socially liberal. However, the fact is that, under successive administrations of corporate shills, inequality has grown, the rich have gotten richer even under these economic times, and Big Money has been shown to be far more potent than Big Government. Just like we needed a New Deal after the destructive Republican 1920s, today we need a New Deal. With crumbling infrastructure, decaying bridges, and thousands of jobs going overseas, how can we not need an intervention? Thanks to Republicans like Saint Emperor Reagan and Republican-lites like Obama, we are entering the worst time to be in the working class since the Gilded Era. That industry is leaving because we're quite literally paying corporations to ship those jobs to China. And you know what? Just for you, a fiscally conservative solution; tax credits for companies who stay in America, combined with tariffs on Chinese goods, as well as limiting free trade policies to developed countries with the same labor standards. Though we'll never see anything again like in the mid-20th century, we can put more focus into industry, and not just automobiles but other technologies; imagine the potential of a factory in Michigan to focus on the creation of wind turbines.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »

Hcallega's post is spot on! Snowstalker, the protectionist beliefs you hold is macroeconomic and corporate affirmative action. America wont succeed if we have to rely on the government to maintain not only the public sector, but the private sector. The modern economy will have to compete globally in the long term and the modern party needs to adjust accordingly.

Also, I'd rather have socially liberal suburbanites than the socially conservative white working class.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2011, 04:45:08 PM by Assemblyman Snowstalker »

Maybe my solutions wouldn't be necessary if companies cared more about helping the U.S. economy at large than their own personal finances. Neoliberalism simply takes advantage of foreign labor and takes that labor from higher-paid American workers; in addition, both Democrats and Republicans seem more willing to spend money on Libya than East St. Louis. The New Democrats' squishiness on fiscal policy has allowed the most dangerous political party since the NSDAP to continually hook more strings onto the government, hoisted by those same corporate elites you idolize. And all the while, the party with a supposed duty to stand up for the working class people of all races willingly gives up health care and living wage rights for the far right to consider raising the top tax rate from 36% to 39%. Why not 50%, as it was under Reagan Christ?

If you truly do prefer winning the Kardashian vote to winning in Michigan, or Missouri, or Pennsylvania, go ahead. You're not welcome among what once was the party that stood up for true justice and equality, not just based on who you sleep with.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2011, 06:24:57 PM by Anonymous Irish Alcoholic »

Maybe my solutions wouldn't be necessary if companies cared more about helping the U.S. economy at large than their own personal finances. Neoliberalism simply takes advantage of foreign labor and takes that labor from higher-paid American workers; in addition, both Democrats and Republicans seem more willing to spend money on Libya than East St. Louis. The New Democrats' squishiness on fiscal policy has allowed the most dangerous political party since the NSDAP to continually hook more strings onto the government, hoisted by those same corporate elites you idolize. And all the while, the party with a supposed duty to stand up for the working class people of all races willingly gives up health care and living wage rights for the far right to consider raising the top tax rate from 36% to 39%. Why not 50%, as it was under Reagan Christ?

If you truly do prefer winning the Kardashian vote to winning in Michigan, or Missouri, or Pennsylvania, go ahead. You're not welcome among what once was the party that stood up for true justice and equality, not just based on who you sleep with.

So winning at least 250 (270 to win) Electoral Votes in every election since 1992 is the Democrats writing off voters and "winning the Kardashian vote"?
Since the hell when?
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 07:01:47 PM »

I don't like how Missouri is "trending R," as is conventional wisdom on here. We lost our beloved bellwether status in 2008, which I think in large part was attributed to racism in the heavily Dixiecratic Bootheel. Census results indicate that we are losing population in the heavily Democratic areas in and around St. Louis and Kansas City, and that the biggest population booms occurred in the heavily GOP areas: St. Charles County and the Springfield suburbs (Christian and Taney counties).

Another thing I don't like is how the crackers in the rural areas are being blinded by the Republican/Tea Party into voting with their Bibles over their pocketbooks. Most people who live in the rural areas here are more concerned about electing pro-life and anti-gay candidates than they are about electing candidates who will give them some economic security and bring jobs to the area.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »

I don't like how all the Dixiecrats are jumping ship.
DS0816
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 04:43:34 AM »

In Michigan, I don't like that it has an established pattern where the voters tend to elect a governor opposite the White House party. Every election since 1978, with exception of 1990. Numerous states as well. And it's really stemming from midterm elections. If more states held their gubernatorials in leap years, as with the case in electing the president, I don't think this would hold.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 12:41:18 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

yeah but the same could be same of the california republican party being run out of a newport beach country club.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 10:44:47 AM »

California's GOP is trending towards irrelevance.

Seriously, a one-party state is never good.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »

California's GOP is trending towards irrelevance.

Seriously, a one-party state is never good.

in this case it is good. California has 55 Electoral Votes to bail the democrats out.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »

Ontario is, for the time being, becoming increasingly conservative and not in the Blue Machine Red Tory sense which is fine, but in the 'retarded no-brain cell fraudulent populist' sense. Harper, Rob Ford, Tim Hudak and so forth. It seems as if Ontarians are becoming stupid teabaggers who just want low taxes without bothering about the deficit. I mean, Tim Hudak is probably going to win on a retarded platform promising to lower taxes before balancing the books which is one of the most inane, retarded things I've heard out of Canadian Conservatives (which is hard considering that they sprout inanities every minute). Additionally, a Hudak government would probably be just as evil and terrifyingly awful as the Harris government was in the 90s. I suppose the quality of healthcare and education would go down the sh**tter again in the name of that failed neoliberal dogma. I wonder how many people would die this time around.

Hopefully it all dies out soon as the browns in Brampton realize that they voted like turkeys voting for Christmas by going for Harpo, and the Torontonians wake up like Ottawa did after experiencing an incompetent far-right populist mayor for a term. But everything in this country depresses me.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 03:55:59 AM »

I guess the thing I don't like is that on the right the old but not dangerous libertarians are either being replaced with or converted to tea party types. This means instead of the state government not doing much beyond maintaining the lack of state income tax perpetually and basically nothing else, they're actually trying to tear apart what little liberal laws and rules we have. So instead of nothing happening when Republicans win the state house, stuff I really don't agree with happens.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »

Ontario is, for the time being, becoming increasingly conservative and not in the Blue Machine Red Tory sense which is fine, but in the 'retarded no-brain cell fraudulent populist' sense. Harper, Rob Ford, Tim Hudak and so forth. It seems as if Ontarians are becoming stupid teabaggers who just want low taxes without bothering about the deficit. I mean, Tim Hudak is probably going to win on a retarded platform promising to lower taxes before balancing the books which is one of the most inane, retarded things I've heard out of Canadian Conservatives (which is hard considering that they sprout inanities every minute). Additionally, a Hudak government would probably be just as evil and terrifyingly awful as the Harris government was in the 90s. I suppose the quality of healthcare and education would go down the sh**tter again in the name of that failed neoliberal dogma. I wonder how many people would die this time around.

Hopefully it all dies out soon as the browns in Brampton realize that they voted like turkeys voting for Christmas by going for Harpo, and the Torontonians wake up like Ottawa did after experiencing an incompetent far-right populist mayor for a term. But everything in this country depresses me.

Maybe fried chicken, collard greens and sweet iced tea will become more popular in the land to the north.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »

Maybe fried chicken, collard greens and sweet iced tea will become more popular in the land to the north.

Wouldn't change much from Anglo-Canadian culinary arts as it stands.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2011, 07:43:16 AM »

Wouldn't change much from Anglo-Canadian culinary arts as it stands.

What about North Carolina-style  barbeque?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies