The Gay Empire State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:41:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Gay Empire State
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15
Author Topic: The Gay Empire State  (Read 30191 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: June 25, 2011, 10:42:29 PM »

This is the best NYT story I've read all year, lots of sources basically directly connected to Cuomo, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/nyregion/the-road-to-gay-marriage-in-new-york.html
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #326 on: June 25, 2011, 10:44:17 PM »

This is the best NYT story I've read all year, lots of sources basically directly connected to Cuomo, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/nyregion/the-road-to-gay-marriage-in-new-york.html

Was just reading that a few minutes ago. Fascinating story behind it all and Cuomo gets mad props for being so determined to get this done.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »

Was just reading that a few minutes ago. Fascinating story behind it all and Cuomo gets mad props for being so determined to get this done.

Cuomo took the ball and ran with this one, he deserves enormous amount of credit in getting this done.  His reception at the Parade tomorrow is going to be nuts.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #328 on: June 25, 2011, 11:10:40 PM »

Hmmmm, too bad Cuomo's not in the Senate, he'd be a better leader than Harry Reid.

Gay marriage benefits the economy so it's logical for Wall Street types to back it. New York will get an economic boon as a result.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #329 on: June 26, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »

Cuomo obviously leaked the story, fwiw.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #330 on: June 26, 2011, 08:05:03 PM »

I have to say, it's nice to have an issue where I have complete moral clarity in my stance.  Most political issues, I end up playing the "on the one hand, on the other hand, on the other other hand" so much that when I have a position, I immediately end up arguing with myself. 

For example, I really do get what the Ryan Plan is trying to do (although it would be more intellectually honest if it paired its Draconian spending cuts with ending the Bush tax cuts...raising revenue and decreasing spending).  I think the Ryan Plan is definitely too harsh and is not something I'd get behind, but I understand it.  I cannot mentally figure out a way to justify forbidding gay marriage besides "it's always been this way" (response: "so?") and "Because God" which doesn't work for me because I don't buy into that premise.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #331 on: June 26, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »

I have to say, it's nice to have an issue where I have complete moral clarity in my stance.  Most political issues, I end up playing the "on the one hand, on the other hand, on the other other hand" so much that when I have a position, I immediately end up arguing with myself. 

For example, I really do get what the Ryan Plan is trying to do (although it would be more intellectually honest if it paired its Draconian spending cuts with ending the Bush tax cuts...raising revenue and decreasing spending).  I think the Ryan Plan is definitely too harsh and is not something I'd get behind, but I understand it.  I cannot mentally figure out a way to justify forbidding gay marriage besides "it's always been this way" (response: "so?") and "Because God" which doesn't work for me because I don't buy into that premise.
Wow, that sounds almost exactly like what I do on most issues. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #332 on: June 26, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »

If you are all so glad for gays being allowed marriage
Then loosen the draconian gun laws.

Hate to go back to such an old post, but I saw it in BRTD's sig...

What laws against guns did they have in 7th century BC Athens?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #333 on: June 27, 2011, 09:13:34 AM »

If you are all so glad for gays being allowed marriage
Then loosen the draconian gun laws.

Hate to go back to such an old post, but I saw it in BRTD's sig...

What laws against guns did they have in 7th century BC Athens?

None, like what we should have.  Cheesy
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #334 on: June 27, 2011, 09:54:27 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2011, 09:58:07 AM by Badger »

What would you consider a fundie denomination. Name them. I'll give you the LDS because of certain things they deny about Jesus.

Any denomination that has as a member a nut job like you.

Do
You want to throw Elvis Presley, Gov. Sarah Palin, the Jonas Brothers, Kris Allen, AttGen John Aschroft under the bus too? Because if you you throw me you
would throw them under it too.

Yes.

Hell yes!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #335 on: June 27, 2011, 09:59:26 AM »

I raise a glass to you, Governor Cuomo, for being one of the rare politicians to show true leadership on a politically dangerous topic.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #336 on: June 27, 2011, 06:14:41 PM »

I have the EXACT same position and need to explain it to friends who wonder why I'm so passionate about certain issues like gay marriage. Most issues I admit I could be wrong on, but not this.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #337 on: June 27, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »

Good for New York. It appears this won't have to be decided by the voters (though a ban referendum would likely fail in NY).

Does anyone have a map of the vote (or breakdown by Obama performance)?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #338 on: June 27, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »

Good for New York. It appears this won't have to be decided by the voters (though a ban referendum would likely fail in NY).

I don't have either of these exactly, but:

All of Long Island (non-NYC) is GOP/No.

NYC is all Dem except two GOP districts, one in south Brooklyn and the other on Staten Island. All voted on party lines except Rubén Diaz who is the only Dem No and represents an obviously extremely Obama district in the South Bronx.

The three innermost north suburban districts are Dem, one in Rockland and two in Westchester, all Yes.

Upstate there are just three Dems, one in each of Albany, Syracuse & Buffalo, all Yes. Of the remaining Republicans, the four Yes votes are: a Hudson Valley district; a district east of Albany (sort of the old Gillibrand territory); a suburban Rochester district; and a district in Buffalo that only went GOP due to the incumbent's major corruption problems.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #339 on: June 27, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »

I have the EXACT same position and need to explain it to friends who wonder why I'm so passionate about certain issues like gay marriage. Most issues I admit I could be wrong on, but not this.

I dunno guys, it seems like we're basically hedging our bets based upon our empirical experiences. I mean, what if the Bible or the Koran are literally true?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #340 on: June 27, 2011, 08:50:41 PM »

NYC is all Dem except two GOP districts, one in south Brooklyn and the other on Staten Island. All voted on party lines except Rubén Diaz who is the only Dem No and represents an obviously extremely Obama district in the South Bronx.

The three innermost north suburban districts are Dem, one in Rockland and two in Westchester, all Yes.

Upstate there are just three Dems, one in each of Albany, Syracuse & Buffalo, all Yes. Of the remaining Republicans, the four Yes votes are: a Hudson Valley district; a district east of Albany (sort of the old Gillibrand territory); a suburban Rochester district; and a district in Buffalo that only went GOP due to the incumbent's major corruption problems.

Pretty sure Alesi represents a big chunk of Rochester proper as well. Not as much as Robach does, though (not sure how Robach wins reelection; his seat has to be >60% Obama).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #341 on: June 27, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »

So is Robach f**ked now?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #342 on: June 27, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »

Pretty sure Alesi represents a big chunk of Rochester proper as well. Not as much as Robach does, though (not sure how Robach wins reelection; his seat has to be >60% Obama).

http://www.nysenate.gov/district/55

There are a few neighborhoods on the edges of the city, but it's mostly a suburban district.

Robach, on the other hand...

http://www.nysenate.gov/district/56

The thing is, he should have been f**cked already, but it's not really the sort of district where voting against gay marriage will make the situation all that much worse.

Part of the issue is, I think, the demographics of the D primary aren't great for winning in the general. In 2008 he narrowly beat a very liberal black challenger, presumably through really running up the numbers in Greece.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #343 on: June 27, 2011, 09:22:58 PM »

Robach's district is 66-33 Obama. He must have quite a bit of personal popularity in the district; he was a Democratic Assemblyman until he switched parties to run for the Senate in 2002; he won easily that year, and the only close race he's had since was in 2008.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #344 on: June 28, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »

Congratulations. Your 1000+ useless comment enters you into the select group of only about 3 other forumites I have on ignore. If you even occasionally made comments that were (intentionally) humorous or in some way insightful, I'd be happy to read 99 posts of drivel to find the rare gem of a 100th post that was lucid. However, sir, your posts are uniformly a waste of bandwidth.

Please go away and I hope to forgive whatever friend/associate/search engine that led you to be inflicted upon the Forum.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #345 on: June 28, 2011, 02:18:12 PM »

For example, I really do get what the Ryan Plan is trying to do (although it would be more intellectually honest if it paired its Draconian spending cuts with ending the Bush tax cuts...raising revenue and decreasing spending).  I think the Ryan Plan is definitely too harsh and is not something I'd get behind, but I understand it. 

if you're expecting intellectual honesty from the Ryan budget you're not understanding it for what it is: class warfare.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #346 on: June 28, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »

Cuomo 2016 Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #347 on: June 28, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »

fwiw he has totally pissed off his progressive base in NY with his attacks on education spending and public unions.  he is more popular with Republicans than Democrats per one of the Quinnipiac polls.  I personally would beware of falling into the same cultural issue trap that all of those white working class voters supposedly did in 2004.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #348 on: June 28, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »

fwiw he has totally pissed off his progressive base in NY with his attacks on education spending and public unions.  he is more popular with Republicans than Democrats per one of the Quinnipiac polls.  I personally would beware of falling into the same cultural issue trap that all of those white working class voters supposedly did in 2004.

Yeah, I'm still registered a Republican and generally conservative on many/most issues.  To anecdotally support you, Ive been hugely surprised and happy at how Cuomo has governed.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #349 on: June 28, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »

In a crowded field, it doesn't necessarily hurt to have some distinguishing characteristics, as long as they make sense in terms of his overall brand.

In this hypothetical, he'd argue that budget realities and the desire to not raise taxes constrained his progressive goals, but that he's an economic pragmatist.  He's raise plenty of money as a result too, so he'd stay competitive.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies