Egypt opens its border with Palestine, breaking the siege of Gaza
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 08:45:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Egypt opens its border with Palestine, breaking the siege of Gaza
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Egypt opens its border with Palestine, breaking the siege of Gaza  (Read 6992 times)
Liberté
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »
« edited: May 25, 2011, 09:02:17 PM by Liberté »

so, the conflict doesnt represent the true feelings of the citizens on either side?!

The political process is not a mirror reflection of the public will even in the most liberal of Western democracies, let alone illiberal and undemocratic states like the PLO and Israel.

In the United States, for example, the two main parties get a sense of the direction the public winds are blowing, figure out how to best satisfy the desires of their corporate and ideological sponsors, and call the result of the two 'ideology'. In the Palestinian-Israel conflict, the leaders (acting semi-independently, mind; I'm not suggesting a conspiracy) treat minor victories or defeats as major advances or setbacks in order to rile up the populace, only then to break the bad news that that isn't the end of the conflict and that both sides have to entrench even more deeply. That's the way politics works in all societies today, both 'modern' and 'semi-modern'. Public sentiment is only a base upon which an entire superstructure of political interests are built, wrapped up in political ritual.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2011, 09:11:05 PM »

Lets just hope the Gazans have grown up in the last couple of years.  They only fired 127 rockets randomly at civilians last year, (killing 1) with the blockade in full effect which is the lowest year for random Gaza rocket attacks on civilians since 2002.

Yes, clearly it's the Gazans who need to "grow up."

Yep....a lot fewer of them would die if the violent minority stopped committing terrorist acts.
Liberté
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »

Yep....a lot fewer of them would die if the violent minority stopped committing terrorist acts.

The problem is that they have no reason to believe they would be anything but second-class citizens if they didn't commit terrorist attacks. Recall that they themselves were the victims of such assaults before 1948, and were treated as second-class citizens in the peace that followed. They're in the 'moral' wrong for engaging in such behavior, but you can't say they don't have damned good reason to do it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »

Yeah, they suffer today because their parents and grand parents were giant racist dicks and then lost the genocidal war they started.  If they'd take a more Gandhi or MLK Jr approach they'd be MUCH further along today.  They can make the change whenever they want to.  In the meantime, we can all agree on one thing.  The status quo works better for your average Israeli than it does for your average Pali.  We can come up with reasons for the fact and they'd likely differ.  Mine would mostly blame the Palestinians and their "allies" while occasionally acknowledging that Israel has made mistakes as well, you and your side will do the exact opposite.  But when it's all said and done, nothing will change as long as asshats keeping committing terrorist acts.  It doesn't matter what you, I or they think is giving them the excuse to commit these acts of terror.  It only matters that they are continuing and the fact that continuing them will keep us in the status quo.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »

as everyone can see from this argument, the only thing that is going to result is war, war, and more war.  and the more we attempt to push these opposing sides together, the faster the next war is going to manifest itself.

sometimes it's simply better to allow sleeping dogs to simply sleep (and wounded dogs to die)...yeah, they're going to wake up eventually and bite your ass, but why hasten that moment.  enjoy peace while you have it, because there is always going to come a time for war
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2011, 11:46:35 PM »

do you think the majority of Palestinians believe Israel has a right to exist?!  heck, even a majority of Arab-Israelis dont believe that:

Why wouldn't you try making this symmetric. Many, if not most Israelis don't even believe Palestinians exist: they think it's an anti-semitic plot. And the don't make any exception for Christian Palestinians - I am surprised you care so little for your own brethren in Jesus Smiley)))
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 12:04:46 AM »

do you think the majority of Palestinians believe Israel has a right to exist?!  heck, even a majority of Arab-Israelis dont believe that:

Why wouldn't you try making this symmetric. Many, if not most Israelis don't even believe Palestinians exist: they think it's an anti-semitic plot. And the don't make any exception for Christian Palestinians - I am surprised you care so little for your own brethren in Jesus Smiley)))

I think I covered this topic already in the last day or two:

Yeah, actually jmfcst, why do you hate your Christian brethren in Palestina?

it's not that I hate them, rather it is that they are misguided and are taking a stand against God's promises to the Jewish nation, which are IRREVOCABLE (Rom 11:29).  And I am not willing to disobey God and bring judgment on myself simply to help these ME Christians destroy themselves.

Gen 12:3 "I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”

I view them no differently that any other misguided Christian.

---

on a side note:  have I offended you in some way, you seem kinda tense?
Liberté
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »

Do you at least understand that those of us who do not believe that Yahweh ever made that promise - those of us who do not believe that Yahweh ever existed - are not inclined to accept that perspective when approaching a foreign policy question rising before us twenty centuries and three millenia after those passages were respectively written?

Also, to play on your terms, I'll note that Yahweh punished Israel constantly in the New Testament. Why should we assume they haven't merited His wrath, should He exist?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2011, 12:19:22 AM »

Do you at least understand that those of us who do not believe that Yahweh ever made that promise - those of us who do not believe that Yahweh ever existed - are not inclined to accept that perspective when approaching a foreign policy question rising before us twenty centuries and three millenia after those passages were respectively written?

Also, to play on your terms, I'll note that Yahweh punished Israel constantly in the New Testament. Why should we assume they haven't merited His wrath, should He exist?
the question was regarding why I dont favor Palestinian Christians over Israel in the land dispute....so I explained that I believe those Christians are on the wrong side of scripture in this dispute...but, with you, I've been making a secular argument for the support of Israel...so let's not you and I mingle the two arguments

(though I do find it odd that you were attempting to categorize my Godhead beliefs when it sounds like you're basically saying you're a nonbeliever...that would be like me attempting to classify a cricket player when I'm not even a fan of the game.)
Liberté
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 12:23:55 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2011, 12:30:25 AM by Liberté »

the question was regarding why I dont favor Palestinian Christians over Israel in the land dispute....so I explained that I believe those Christians are on the wrong side of scripture in this dispute...but, with you, I've been making a secular argument for the support of Israel...so let's not you and I mingle the two arguments

I know that's what you were responding you. I posted my response to it because it seems to be part and parcel of your Zionism: that Israel is a Jewish homeland, ordained by God, from the day of His Covenant with Abraham until now. That seems, to me, to underlie your entire position on the issue; it likewise seems - and I fully admit the possibility I'm wrong - that geostrategic concerns are wholly secondary, and that you'd support Israel regardless of where it was located. If that's so, I was simply asking if you see why those of us who don't believe in the Biblical narrative have such widely differing views on the matter.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When I was a boy, about six or seven, I attended a Southern Baptist Church with my grandparents every Sunday. I was enrolled in their Sunday School and attended every day it was held. I read the Bible constantly and consistently, and was in their junior program for early training to become a preacher until the age of twelve.

That's largely why I no longer believe, though I've certainly self-educated myself on the subject more since then.
danny
Israel

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 12:25:32 AM »

I'm not sure if you knew this, but Gaddafi was "Israel's enemy", not the rebels now fighting against him (presumably that's what you're referring to; it's very difficult for me to follow whatever line of 'reason' you're using). Frankly, I think we could get a better deal selling a few tanks to the Palestinians to even up the score. I'm not saying we should, but it beats sticking our necks out for a country that only exists because of the United Nations.

I know I'm bumping something from a couple of pages ago but I was reading through this thread and I laughed when I got to this point because it's just so far from the truth. Israel exists because it won a war for its independence, not because of any UN resolution that isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Liberté
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 12:26:15 AM »

I'm not sure if you knew this, but Gaddafi was "Israel's enemy", not the rebels now fighting against him (presumably that's what you're referring to; it's very difficult for me to follow whatever line of 'reason' you're using). Frankly, I think we could get a better deal selling a few tanks to the Palestinians to even up the score. I'm not saying we should, but it beats sticking our necks out for a country that only exists because of the United Nations.

I know I'm bumping something from a couple of pages ago but I was reading through this thread and I laughed when I got to this point because it's just so far from the truth. Israel exists because it won a war for its independence, not because of any UN resolution that isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Without the Mandate, Britain would have stomped you flat, and there were elements in the British political establishment that were already inclined to do that even with it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2011, 12:26:50 AM »

(though I do find it odd that you were attempting to categorize my Godhead beliefs when it sounds like you're basically saying you're a nonbeliever...that would be like me attempting to classify a cricket player when I'm not even a fan of the game.)

Do you realize, that by failing to delete the name in quoting Liberte, you've committed, from an orthodox Jewish standpoint, a crime, for which there can be only one punishment: death by stoning? The learned rabbis would grant it, that under current circumstances it might be impractical to execute you, but they are in agreement that you should be?

Though, of course, the very fact that you celebrate Sabbath, while being Christian, is grounds for the same punishment.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »

Poor jmfsct. From the standpoint of most Christians, he is a sworn enemy of Christianity. From the standpoint of pretty much all Jews, he is a sworn enemy of the Jews. And he is trying so hard to be nice to both Smiley))
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 12:34:28 AM »

Do you realize, that by failing to delete the name in quoting Liberte, you've committed, from an orthodox Jewish standpoint, a crime, for which there can be only one punishment: death by stoning? The learned rabbis would grant it, that under current circumstances it might be impractical to execute you, but they are in agreement that you should be?
why would I care?

---

Though, of course, the very fact that you celebrate Sabbath, while being Christian, is grounds for the same punishment.
i dont observe the 7th day sabbath, unless i am witnessing to someone who does, as I did with my wife over the 18 month period I was dating her
Liberté
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 12:37:10 AM »

Again, I ask:

Also, to play on your terms, I'll note that Yahweh punished Israel constantly in the Old Testament. Why should we assume they haven't merited His wrath, should He exist?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 12:37:57 AM »

i dont observe the 7th day sabbath, unless i am witnessing to someone who does, as I did with my wife over the 18 month period I was dating her

Ah, ok. As long as you work on Sundays you are fine Smiley) But then, those 18 months.... tough. Still, it pales in comparison with the obvious fact that you didn't delete the name Smiley))))
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2011, 12:39:37 AM »

Again, I ask:

Also, to play on your terms, I'll note that Yahweh punished Israel constantly in the Old Testament. Why should we assume they haven't merited His wrath, should He exist?

He thinks the rapture's nigh Smiley)))
danny
Israel

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2011, 12:44:20 AM »

Without the Mandate, Britain would have stomped you flat, and there were elements in the British political establishment that were already inclined to do that even with it.
1)It was official British policy dating back to the Balfour declaration that Jews should get a country
2)The British were trying to stop the Jewish underground for years and didn't have much success in stomping anyone.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2011, 12:47:13 AM »

Poor jmfsct. From the standpoint of most Christians, he is a sworn enemy of Christianity. From the standpoint of pretty much all Jews, he is a sworn enemy of the Jews. And he is trying so hard to be nice to both Smiley))

well, that's no surprise since for about 1500 years beginning from around 325 AD, I would have been executed as a heretic by both Catholics and Protestants (at least by John Calvin) alike.  But who is the bigger heretic, someone who disagrees with a single word of a man made creed, or someone who believes Christ gave them the authority to kill those who didnt agree with every single word of a man made creed?

and you might was well stop trying to shake me up, I'm shake proof.  and I have been dragged before panel of religious people who thought I was undermining their unique authority to interpret scripture....so, there isnt an argument that is going to catch me off guard or toss me to and fro.  but, I am always willing to listen.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2011, 12:51:13 AM »

Again, I ask:

dude, if you've ever read scripture, you would know that every nation God has sent against Israel to punish her, God has later destroyed that same nation....so, from a religious standpoint, why would I want to raise a hand against God's anointed, even if they are being disobedient?
Liberté
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2011, 12:51:48 AM »

1)It was official British policy dating back to the Balfour declaration that Jews should get a country

It's also officially stated American policy to attempt to level out the social disparity between Shi'a and Sunni in Afghanistan. What we have actually been doing is giving the Sunni a happy taste of revenge for the decades of repression they suffered under Saddam.

The Balfour Declaration was enormously controversial in England, and was fought tooth-and-nail by such British luminaries as Edwin Montagu, the (half-Jewish) Liberal Secretary of State for India. Balfour's opponents wanted to crush you, and had they been free to do so, they would have.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They never put the full weight of their force against you.
Liberté
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 12:52:50 AM »

Again, I ask:

dude, if you've ever read scripture, you would know that every nation God has sent against Israel to punish her, God has later destroyed that same nation....so, from a religious standpoint, why would I want to raise a hand against God's anointed, even if they are being disobedient?

Who are you to raise a hand against those Yahweh has anointed to punish Israel, if the possibility exists that's what their actions ultimately are from a theological perspective? Shouldn't that be left to God?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2011, 12:55:29 AM »

Ah, ok. As long as you work on Sundays you are fine Smiley) But then, those 18 months....

Sunday?  first, my girlfriend was observing the Jewish Sabbath from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday....and I've never considered Sunday a Sabbath..

---

tough. Still, it pales in comparison with the obvious fact that you didn't delete the name Smiley))))
  why would I care, what's your point?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2011, 12:55:51 AM »

and you might was well stop trying to shake me up, I'm shake proof.  

My dear jmfsct Smiley) I am not trying to shake you up - I am just mightily amused Smiley))

Though, of course, it is a useful point to make that from the Israeli standpoint you are a tribal enemy, but a useful fool at the same time. Just so that you understand Israelis better, when you encounter them.

I know, you don't care - you do this because of your Faith. Since I am a non-believer, I am quite ok w/ that, as you can imagine Smiley)))))) In fact, if anything, I prefer your godly selflessness to Israeli tribalism. But the way you go about this is still mightily amusing Smiley))))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies