Opinion of opebo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 08:42:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of opebo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Opinion of opebo  (Read 16973 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 01:03:19 AM »

So, it's ok to like/defend a murderous bigot, as long as he agrees with you on a couple of other topics that are important to you?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 01:07:19 AM »

It's not like he has any real power does he? He posts on the internet. He proposed feeding Christians to lions before, and I am a Christian. Who cares. And he is quite hilarious.

I love the time he said he wears a "Death Cab For Cutey" shirt that he found in Thailand for a buck even though he's never heard their music. The way he mispelled the band name makes it even better. I laugh my ass off at the thought of this guy in a Death Cab For Cutie shirt visiting a Thai brothel. It was the main thing I thought about in my thread about which actor should play him in a movie.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 01:08:29 AM »

Gustaf I don't get why you think I should be horrified that opebo has *gasp* hired hookers. I've even technically hired a prostitute before myself, though they never did anything except with their hands (erotic massage you know), and they never appeared to be impoverished, drug addicted and were clearly not immigrants, clearly just some massage students looking for some extra money. So why do you expect that I think that just because someone has hired a hooker before that I will instantly hate them and consider them irreedemable trash and consider every single person who has ever hired a prostitute a far right poor hater?

If you're this thick, I'm not sure what to say. I'm not horrified that he's hired hookers. I'm not your 90-year old grandma. And I'm sure you get white thrash prostitutes instead of Russian or Thai ones in North Dakota.

And, as I said, those exploiting the poor always delude themselves that the people they exploit are enjoying it and doing it as their free choice. This is, amusingly, Opebo's favourite point to make - except when it comes to his own behaviour.

If you are unaware of the link between prostitution and poverty, prostitution and being abused as a child, prostitution and drug addiction and so on, well, good for you. But next time someone says all poor people are just lazy and want to cheat off on welfare, I won't expect you to complain. After all, I've met a poor lazy person once so I clearly know what I'm talking about.

I know a girl who worked briefly as a stripper. I know there are exceptions to all the rules. But I'm also well aware that even sexually very liberal people (of whom there are a lot in Sweden) tend not to work as prostitutes, as long as they're sufficiently rich and educated. I'd like to see you explain why prostitutes tend to be poor, abused drug addicts from Eastern Europe if it really is such a great line of work? Is it because poor people from Eastern Europe are so much more liberal than educated people in Sweden? Because I'd like to see the statistics backing that up.

I'm not horrified that he wants to hire hookers. I'm horrified that he has actively sought out the closest place to the nineteenth century (his stated ideal society) that he could find so that he could enjoy living as an aristocrat, abusing the poor. I'm horrified that he actively wants to shoot down who oppose oppressive rule, whether in Thailand or Egypt. He's a cold-blooded fascist who wants to kill people who wish for freedom of expression or economic redistribution to alleviate their poverty. He is a white man exploiting coloured people and wanting to kill them if they protest. He wants to return to the white imperialism of the 1800s. You apparently think white colonialism is fun (the African women first exposed to the missionary position probably loved it too, don't you think?) but I don't.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 01:09:09 AM »

I apologize to Opebo, and wish to clarify that his posts occasionally have some relevance, and aren't as mindlessly doctrinaire as this of Torie.

This is so weird.

Well, opinions that you agree with are informed and insightful, and those with which you disagree are "mindlessly doctrinaire." Got it?  Tongue

While I disagree with your opinions, its your trying to pass yourself off as a 'moderate,' that I find dishonest.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 01:17:25 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2011, 01:20:59 AM by I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both »

Gustaf I don't get why you think I should be horrified that opebo has *gasp* hired hookers. I've even technically hired a prostitute before myself, though they never did anything except with their hands (erotic massage you know), and they never appeared to be impoverished, drug addicted and were clearly not immigrants, clearly just some massage students looking for some extra money. So why do you expect that I think that just because someone has hired a hooker before that I will instantly hate them and consider them irreedemable trash and consider every single person who has ever hired a prostitute a far right poor hater?

If you're this thick, I'm not sure what to say. I'm not horrified that he's hired hookers. I'm not your 90-year old grandma. And I'm sure you get white thrash prostitutes instead of Russian or Thai ones in North Dakota.

And, as I said, those exploiting the poor always delude themselves that the people they exploit are enjoying it and doing it as their free choice. This is, amusingly, Opebo's favourite point to make - except when it comes to his own behaviour.

If you are unaware of the link between prostitution and poverty, prostitution and being abused as a child, prostitution and drug addiction and so on, well, good for you. But next time someone says all poor people are just lazy and want to cheat off on welfare, I won't expect you to complain. After all, I've met a poor lazy person once so I clearly know what I'm talking about.

I know a girl who worked briefly as a stripper. I know there are exceptions to all the rules. But I'm also well aware that even sexually very liberal people (of whom there are a lot in Sweden) tend not to work as prostitutes, as long as they're sufficiently rich and educated. I'd like to see you explain why prostitutes tend to be poor, abused drug addicts from Eastern Europe if it really is such a great line of work? Is it because poor people from Eastern Europe are so much more liberal than educated people in Sweden? Because I'd like to see the statistics backing that up.

I'm not horrified that he wants to hire hookers. I'm horrified that he has actively sought out the closest place to the nineteenth century (his stated ideal society) that he could find so that he could enjoy living as an aristocrat, abusing the poor. I'm horrified that he actively wants to shoot down who oppose oppressive rule, whether in Thailand or Egypt. He's a cold-blooded fascist who wants to kill people who wish for freedom of expression or economic redistribution to alleviate their poverty. He is a white man exploiting coloured people and wanting to kill them if they protest. He wants to return to the white imperialism of the 1800s. You apparently think white colonialism is fun (the African women first exposed to the missionary position probably loved it too, don't you think?) but I don't.

LOL, I've never been to a "massage parlor" in North Dakota. The girls at the parlors in Minneapolis (you know, where I live now) aren't white trash or Eastern European immigrants either, they're not much different from your typical urban young. I don't think trafficked Eastern Europeans tend to wear Modest Mouse shirts or talk about Call of Duty games or the Uptown bars they're going to once they finish their shift but meh whatever. BTW whoever writes this blog doesn't strike me as some abused, impoverished girl, she strikes me as rather intelligent: http://happyendingz.blogspot.com

Anyone who has ever bought food at the supermarket in the US (and probably Sweden too), has bought the product of people working degrading work that affluent educated people don't. It's not just California, even here way up north most of the giant corporate farms are staffed by uneducated and often illegal Mexicans, I can point out tons of spots of high levels of Hispanics and poverty in rural Minnesota. I suppose everyone should just go to being a subsistence farmer then.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 01:18:33 AM »

It's not like he has any real power does he? He posts on the internet. He proposed feeding Christians to lions before, and I am a Christian. Who cares. And he is quite hilarious.

I love the time he said he wears a "Death Cab For Cutey" shirt that he found in Thailand for a buck even though he's never heard their music. The way he mispelled the band name makes it even better. I laugh my ass off at the thought of this guy in a Death Cab For Cutie shirt visiting a Thai brothel. It was the main thing I thought about in my thread about which actor should play him in a movie.

So, powerless evil person are freedom fighters now? You're making a lot less sense than usual. You should love Hamilton then, he's extremely powerless.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 01:20:22 AM »

Hamilton was a completely useless and unamusing troll with clear signs of sociopathic tendencies (seriously I have no doubt this guy was a bully in middle school, something I am sure someone as polite and well-mannered as opebo would never be.) who had some extremely creepy obsessions and if he remained could've actually done some real damage or even ended up breaking the law.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2011, 01:21:41 AM »

BTW I recommend that anyone read that blog, it's very very interesting even if you have no desire to ever visit a massage parlor anyway. And if you do there's a lot of great tips. Just an all around interesting read.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2011, 01:24:05 AM »

ahhh, the old "he's just a powerless bigot and a clown", now I'm starting to get it.

dance little opebo dance!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 01:26:07 AM »

hmm.. I don't think he's an HP... but not necessarily an FF either.  I'd say slight lean FF.

He can be humorous... but I have a feeling we'd not get along very well if we were to meet in real life. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2011, 01:29:38 AM »

ahhh, the old "he's just a powerless bigot and a clown", now I'm starting to get it.

dance little opebo dance!

Uh, not exactly. He's really intelligent. Read this for example and then ask yourself if BushOklahoma would be better or worse off if he took opebo's advice.

No, no, no.  If you are a poor, and you have a job at the Electric Company, you stay there, and say 'yes sir' and 'no sir, and just batten down the hatches and wait.  It will all be over soon enough.  No need to rush it by getting conned up the a**s by some Kiwi b******s and ending up living under a bridge.

Seriously, I know poors who work at the Power Company (true they're from the previous unionized generations so they made $70,000/year, but still), and they survived.  Every one of them - and they will get to die in hospitals with medical treatments.  Yes, Public Utilities are not government jobs, but they're the next best thing.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2011, 01:38:03 AM »

There are a lot of intelligent and witty bigots, BRTD.  I also find it revealing that you used a "he doesn't like Muslims" to his defense. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2011, 01:38:14 AM »

yeah yeah....he's a bigot and hates poor people, yet many on the left like him.  You can spin it that he's powerless and does silly things for your amusement.  You can spin it that he's smart enough to suggest "poors" keep their steady job and not chase after magic brass rings, but none of it is going to change the fact that he is a bigot and hates poor people.  Something the left likes to rally against.  It's very confusing to those of us on the outside.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2011, 01:46:18 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2011, 01:48:37 AM by I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both »

If opebo hates poors why is he so against welfare reform? Note this (thread: Re: what is your biggest problem with the welfare reform law?)

That it reduced welfare, of course.  There was soooooooo little even before!

That vicious Darwinian poor-hater also said this:

It is absurd to pay for childcare so persons can go be exploited at some minimum wage job.  Just give these women a generous dole and leave them alone.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2011, 01:47:46 AM »

Massive HP, mainly for the reasons mentioned already.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2011, 02:17:02 AM »

If opebo hates poors why is he so against welfare reform? Note this (thread: Re: what is your biggest problem with the welfare reform law?)

That it reduced welfare, of course.  There was soooooooo little even before!

That vicious Darwinian poor-hater also said this:

It is absurd to pay for childcare so persons can go be exploited at some minimum wage job.  Just give these women a generous dole and leave them alone.

Because it is easy to aloofly support something intellectually and at a distance. However, threaten his own minor position of privilege and he advocates lining the plebes up against the wall.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »

LOL, I've never been to a "massage parlor" in North Dakota. The girls at the parlors in Minneapolis (you know, where I live now) aren't white trash or Eastern European immigrants either, they're not much different from your typical urban young. I don't think trafficked Eastern Europeans tend to wear Modest Mouse shirts or talk about Call of Duty games or the Uptown bars they're going to once they finish their shift but meh whatever. BTW whoever writes this blog doesn't strike me as some abused, impoverished girl, she strikes me as rather intelligent: http://happyendingz.blogspot.com

Anyone who has ever bought food at the supermarket in the US (and probably Sweden too), has bought the product of people working degrading work that affluent educated people don't. It's not just California, even here way up north most of the giant corporate farms are staffed by uneducated and often illegal Mexicans, I can point out tons of spots of high levels of Hispanics and poverty in rural Minnesota. I suppose everyone should just go to being a subsistence farmer then.

Buying food at the supermarket is different from buying a hooker. As you point out, the former is pretty unavoidable, while the latter kind of is. But I do find it interesting how you're doing a reverse-Opebo, becoming a libertarian who supports poor people doing degrading jobs. I didn't know that about you.

The rest of your post just reminds me of how pointless it is to discuss with you.

I'll just ask whether you agree with Opebo that an absolute monarchy like the European ones in the nineteenth century is the ideal society?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2011, 01:54:26 PM »

The amusing part about Gustaf's little obsession is that he 1) thinks people are better off under 'democratic' capitalism, and 2) he thinks having sex for money is worse than all the other jobs. 

I don't want to mow down the poors because they'll be any less exploited under democracy Gustaf (they won't be).   I just want to mow them down to prevent them from imposing their prudery.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »

Gustaf's view of prostitution sort of bordering on mine regarding gambling kind of surprises me really. Interesting. I wonder if something more is out there that might explain it, sort of like with BRTD and Catholicism. But that would be none of my business. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »

Gustaf's view of prostitution sort of bordering on mine regarding gambling kind of surprises me really. Interesting. I wonder if something more is out there that might explain it, sort of like with BRTD and Catholicism. But that would be none of my business. 

I think american's stereotype of Swedeland is inaccurate - its actually a very prudish place.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2011, 02:51:01 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2011, 02:57:55 PM by William Cutting for Pres 2012 »

Even if you disagree with his views (and why would you do that?) he's certainly one of the most entertaining posters and has a distinct and interesting style of writing.

For once I actually agree with Lief on something (except that I find it very logical to disagree with some of opebo's views).

I just love how seriously you guys take opebo.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »

The amusing part about Gustaf's little obsession is that he 1) thinks people are better off under 'democratic' capitalism, and 2) he thinks having sex for money is worse than all the other jobs. 

I don't want to mow down the poors because they'll be any less exploited under democracy Gustaf (they won't be).   I just want to mow them down to prevent them from imposing their prudery.

1. Yes, like most people.
2. No, not really. I do think there is a reason why its almost exclusively pursued by the most impoverished and emotionally damaged people in society. I realize your bigotry won't be affected by facts though.

Torie: I'm not sure what you mean exactly, so you'll have to elaborate.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »

I knew this thread is a great idea.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2011, 07:11:46 PM »

2. No, not really. I do think there is a reason why its almost exclusively pursued by the most impoverished and emotionally damaged people in society. I realize your bigotry won't be affected by facts though.

BRTD had certain personal experiences that he candidly admitted (one thing I admire about BRTD is his candor), colored his views about Catholicism. Not that any of that applies to you. Maybe your views on prostitution were fashioned solely as an abstract intellectual matter, and have nothing to do with any personal experiences, religious or otherwise.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »

BRTD had certain personal experiences that he candidly admitted (one thing I admire about BRTD is his candor), colored his views about Catholicism. Not that any of that applies to you. Maybe your views on prostitution were fashioned solely as an abstract intellectual matter, and have nothing to do with any personal experiences, religious or otherwise.

Eh. I don't have any personal experience of prostitution, no. I'm a white middle class male who can get sex for free, living in a country where it's illegal and shunned by polite society. Why would I have any experience of it?

I do have this little thing called empathy where I can feel outrage on behalf of other people, you got me there. The concept of prostitution is one of an archaic, unequal society, based on sexism, racism and classism. I'm not really adamant about outlawing prostitution (I don't care much for making things illegal, as a general rule) but I don't find rich white guys buying poor coloured women particularly cool.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies