Opinion of opebo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 05:54:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of opebo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Opinion of opebo  (Read 16967 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 10:52:46 AM »

Even if you disagree with his views (and why would you do that?) he's certainly one of the most entertaining posters and has a distinct and interesting style of writing.

Well, one might believe in human rights, even for those who are poor and non-white. Not everyone does though.

He's a fascist bigot and the most reactionary poster on the site. His view of an ideal society is one where the rich and powerful do not have to bother with the poor. He's the only person on here I know of who supports killing people who want democracy.

Since he has a red avatar that apparently makes him cool and adorable in the eyes of the forum left. Since I actually think human beings deserve a little bit of respect even if they happen to have the misfortune of being born in a poor, oppressive society I can't think of him as anything other than an HP. 

This.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »

Thanks for sharing!  Tongue  Am I really that humorless?  Sad

In any event, it is not nice to insult Opebo in that way Carl.  You know, he's a human being and has feeling too. 

Well, Torie, you're not humorless at all, but until we have Torie-speak, the way we do opebo-speak, you're a second class citizen, bro.  Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 11:30:14 AM »

Well, not like...

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 11:37:22 AM »

Uh, he's probably the most freedom-loving Atlasian. He fled The Bad Place over repression.

Eh? He moved to Thailand to allow him to oppress people! The reason he likes Thailand is that it isn't a democracy and has a sufficient supply of poor people for him to exploit. He obviously doesn't like America because it was founded by people running away from societies like Thailand.

Uh, Thailand has had free elections and certainly did when he started going there.

Let's imagine he went to the Netherlands instead. Then would he be oppressing people?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »

Thanks for sharing!  Tongue  Am I really that humorless?  Sad

In any event, it is not nice to insult Opebo in that way Carl.  You know, he's a human being and has feeling too. 

True, Opebo has his funny posts for entertainment.

I apologize to Opebo, and wish to clarify that his posts occasionally have some relevance, and aren't as mindlessly doctrinaire as this of Torie.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »

I apologize to Opebo, and wish to clarify that his posts occasionally have some relevance, and aren't as mindlessly doctrinaire as this of Torie.

This is so weird.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »

This is so weird.

Well, opinions that you agree with are informed and insightful, and those with which you disagree are "mindlessly doctrinaire." Got it?  Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »

...I actually think human beings deserve a little bit of respect even if they happen to have the misfortune of being born in a poor, oppressive society

The Gini Co-efficient is worse in the oppressive USA than in Thailand, Gustaf. 

Or, rather, ones where the rich and powerful assist the poor out of some kind noblesse oblige, sort of the way the plantation owners of the Old South used to give a ham to their old mammies every Christmastime, just before he sold off her grandchildren.

Ha yes, at least noblesse oblige recognizes the real nature of wealth and power, and doesn't give the poor an earful of pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps Horatio Alger nonsense like neo-liberalism does. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »

Uh, he's probably the most freedom-loving Atlasian. He fled The Bad Place over repression.

Eh? He moved to Thailand to allow him to oppress people! The reason he likes Thailand is that it isn't a democracy and has a sufficient supply of poor people for him to exploit. He obviously doesn't like America because it was founded by people running away from societies like Thailand.

Uh, Thailand has had free elections and certainly did when he started going there.

Let's imagine he went to the Netherlands instead. Then would he be oppressing people?

They outlawed the party which won the elections because they promised to redistribute too much wealth and then shot down people who protested. It is a serious crime to say anything critical of the king who rules the country.

And before you tell me that the king and nobility had to step in to fight the corruption - yeah, that's what KKK said in the 1860s as well.

The Netherlands is completely irrelevant. Have you no ability to read between the lines? Opebo likes Thailand because it is a poor country with great class differences, which means that he can be king there and buy poor people who do not have better choices. In the Netherlands it is the same thing, but the Eastern European girls they import aren't as cheap as the Thai hookers because their countries aren't as sh**tty.

I know you think it is really awesome how he sticks it to the poor gooks, showing them that this can still be a white man's world where you have to bend over and be grateful you can catch a piece of bread afterwards, but I don't. I don't see anything cool about an undemocratic, sexist oppressive society at all and those of you sitting here snickering about the misfortunes of others from your comfortable homes actually ought to be ashamed of yourselves for it.

I should perhaps add that it is possible that Opebo is a fake in some way. Partly for that reason I don't care so much for the evil of the Opebo-persona. It does worry me though that so many people on here choose to idolize someone who represents a form of evil that plauged the world for almost all of history until the left of the French revolution and onwards finally rooted it out to a large extent in our society.

I'm very happy to live in a society where it is allowed to criticize, mock and make fun of the rich and powerful and where most people aren't so poor and desperate that they have to enslave themselves to others. I guess that makes me a prude.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 01:46:03 PM »

...I actually think human beings deserve a little bit of respect even if they happen to have the misfortune of being born in a poor, oppressive society

The Gini Co-efficient is worse in the oppressive USA than in Thailand, Gustaf. 

Or, rather, ones where the rich and powerful assist the poor out of some kind noblesse oblige, sort of the way the plantation owners of the Old South used to give a ham to their old mammies every Christmastime, just before he sold off her grandchildren.

Ha yes, at least noblesse oblige recognizes the real nature of wealth and power, and doesn't give the poor an earful of pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps Horatio Alger nonsense like neo-liberalism does. 

But people in the US aren't as poor and that matters a hell of a lot more. And it's a stretch anyway. The UN ranks Thailand as having a higher Gini, for instance.

Sweden has a really low Gini. Unfortunately, you can't shoot or buy poor people here so I guess we still won't be seeing much of you, huh?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »

Pretty much a far-right reactionary.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2011, 03:45:04 PM by opebo »

But people in the US aren't as poor and that matters a hell of a lot more. And it's a stretch anyway. The UN ranks Thailand as having a higher Gini, for instance.

Sweden has a really low Gini. Unfortunately, you can't shoot or buy poor people here so I guess we still won't be seeing much of you, huh?

Actually no, relative inequality is what matters, though Thailand is also not very poor in absolute terms either - generally speaking the poor in america are worse off than the poor in Thailand.  Dire poverty has little to do with prostitution - people go into the work in Thailand so they can have relatively easy, luxurious lives (for example, high-end mobile phones, jewelry, motorbikes, sometimes even tens of thousands saved or even cars purchased.  I know one girl who makes more than my teacher colleagues do, working 3 hours per night 5 nights a week, and she's very typical).  If they just want to eat three good meals a day and have a roof over their heads they can do dozens of other jobs.

Lastly, why must you use the inaccurate and tiresome term 'buy'?  Do you say 'buy' when you use the services of a waiter, a tree-trimmer, or a shoe-repairman for an hour?  No, you're just a prude who sees sex as different somehow, a frightful taboo.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »

Lastly, why must you use the inaccurate and tiresome term 'buy'?  Do you say 'buy' when you use the services of a waiter, a tree-trimmer, or a shoe-repairman for an hour?  No, you're just a prude who sees sex as different somehow, a frightful taboo.

The gratuity is included, the waiter said nervously.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 05:43:06 PM »

Actually no, relative inequality is what matters, though Thailand is also not very poor in absolute terms either - generally speaking the poor in america are worse off than the poor in Thailand.  Dire poverty has little to do with prostitution - people go into the work in Thailand so they can have relatively easy, luxurious lives (for example, high-end mobile phones, jewelry, motorbikes, sometimes even tens of thousands saved or even cars purchased.  I know one girl who makes more than my teacher colleagues do, working 3 hours per night 5 nights a week, and she's very typical).  If they just want to eat three good meals a day and have a roof over their heads they can do dozens of other jobs.

Yes, yes and the slaves were better off being taken care of by their owners too, I'm sure.

Being a prude isn't really the issue. Believe it or not, I don't think a society filled with shoe-shiners or gladiators is a good one either.

But, since people from rich classes and especially in rich countries rarely become prostitutes it must follow from your logic that the poor, especially in poor countries, are a lot more socially liberal than rich people in rich countries? If only this was borne out by actual facts and not be so obviously ludicrous. Ah, well.

I get why it makes you sleep better to uphold this delusion that poor people want to be your servants, but I don't see why so many people on here cheer it on.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »

I do think it's strange that he moves to an even more corrupt country to get away.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »

Mexino Vote
OKUSA
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »

HP because of his negative opinion of America. And his borderline pedophillia.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »

Unchanged since 2005...   
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 11:28:53 PM »

Unchanged since 2003. He really isn't any different, he just decided in his Machiavellian fashion that he was better off advocating for the other side.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 11:48:17 PM »

Gustaf I don't get why you think I should be horrified that opebo has *gasp* hired hookers. I've even technically hired a prostitute before myself, though they never did anything except with their hands (erotic massage you know), and they never appeared to be impoverished, drug addicted and were clearly not immigrants, clearly just some massage students looking for some extra money. So why do you expect that I think that just because someone has hired a hooker before that I will instantly hate them and consider them irreedemable trash and consider every single person who has ever hired a prostitute a far right poor hater?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 12:36:23 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2011, 12:38:31 AM by dead0man »

Why do his defenders always focus on the whores and ignore the part where he really really hates poor people...errr "poors".  Do you ignore him when he posts about wanting to kill tens of thousands just to keep horrible people in power?
You're not a crank, except that the solution isn't democracy, its simply to get Mubarak and friends to mow them down.  Mow them down by the tens of thousands, with bunker busters going off in urban centers.  Get serious.

edit-I do appreciate the fact that he is one of the best at making the left look stupid (I can't think of anyone better) and for that, I thank you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »

He doesn't like Muslims.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 12:42:29 AM »

He doesn't like any religious people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »

Maybe, but I think there is more to it than that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 12:58:36 AM »

A couple years ago he said something like "I wish Saddam was still in power so he could put those nasty Shi'ites in their place." so it's clear what his views on Muslims and religion are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies