Deficit Reduction and Emergency War Spending Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 04:14:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Deficit Reduction and Emergency War Spending Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Deficit Reduction and Emergency War Spending Bill  (Read 6553 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2004, 04:31:54 PM »

I hereby open debate on this bill.

(Note I am opening the debating time in order of appearance on the boards, next will be the Marijuana legalisation bill)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2004, 04:41:26 PM »

I echo my statement to the Senate:

After looking at the IrishDemocrat proposal more closely and analyzing the data it is a WORTHLESS tax hike. It raises taxes by at 3-8% accross the board and puts absolutely no dent into the deficit because fof the large increase in military spending.

If we moved government funded programs like NASA, AMTRAK, and USPS into regulated private industries we could save a projected $0.98 trillion over the next decade with no need for a tax hike. Not to mention the fanfare these independment entities will gain on Wall Street.

I also suggest a Senator motion to open the voting  on this bill.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2004, 09:02:26 PM »

As I have not yet said anything really official about this bill yet (my previous comments were not, technically speaking, part of the debate on this bill), I will reiterate my main points now.

This bill represents IrishDemocrat's best efforts to force a significant tax increase through the senate.  He has wrapped his tax increase in the aestheticly pleasing package of hawkishness and machisimo, but don't be fooled, folks, this bill isn't really about supporting our troops.  It's about stealing more money from the hard-working people of America as they struggle to make ends meet.  If IrishDemocrat would really like to give the troops a raise in pay, he could look into spending cuts to fund such increases in military benefits.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2004, 10:22:35 PM »

As I have not yet said anything really official about this bill yet (my previous comments were not, technically speaking, part of the debate on this bill), I will reiterate my main points now.

This bill represents IrishDemocrat's best efforts to force a significant tax increase through the senate.  He has wrapped his tax increase in the aestheticly pleasing package of hawkishness and machisimo, but don't be fooled, folks, this bill isn't really about supporting our troops.  It's about stealing more money from the hard-working people of America as they struggle to make ends meet.  If IrishDemocrat would really like to give the troops a raise in pay, he could look into spending cuts to fund such increases in military benefits.

You mkae it sound so ahrsh.  No, I don't want Atlasia indebtted.  We are at war and need an increase in taxes. What is there to cut?  I am trying to cut welfare as we speak.It's only for people that make over $154,700 per year and I will add that:

Clause 1:  Repeal of 2003 tax cuts on income brackets over $154,700 per year.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2004, 11:08:48 PM »

He doesn't mkae sound like anything, especially ahrsh or indebtted.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2004, 11:33:01 PM »

So we improve our nation's future by cutting education spending?

We do want our soldiers to come home to a nation that can point out where the soldiers were on a map, don't we?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2004, 12:08:13 AM »

We do want our soldiers to come home to a nation that can point out where the soldiers were on a map, don't we?

Well, all the money we're currently spending on education hasn't really helped in that department anyway, so it's not like shaving a few million dollars from the department of Education's budget is really going to make much of a difference.

Expensive sh**t is still sh**t.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2004, 07:01:26 AM »

Well, all the money we're currently spending on education hasn't really helped in that department anyway, so it's not like shaving a few million dollars from the department of Education's budget is really going to make much of a difference.

Those millions of dollars being shaved off all go somewhere. You have just brushed aside the educational needs of hundreds, probably thousands of students with that statement.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2004, 11:42:26 AM »

Those millions of dollars being shaved off all go somewhere. You have just brushed aside the educational needs of hundreds, probably thousands of students with that statement.

Fine lets just privatize social security. Tongue :s That creates a $1 trillion surplus.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2004, 07:54:59 PM »

Back to the issue at hand.  I ask my fellow Senator from District 1 what provisions the bill has concerning small businesses.  Should we partially roll back the Bush tax cuts for the rich?  I believe we should.  However, small businesses must be considered in such a bill. After all, while we should be rolling back tax cuts for the richest Americans,  we should not in the process penalize the backbone of the American economy, small businesses.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2004, 01:04:50 AM »

Back to the issue at hand.  I ask my fellow Senator from District 1 what provisions the bill has concerning small businesses.  Should we partially roll back the Bush tax cuts for the rich?  I believe we should.  However, small businesses must be considered in such a bill. After all, while we should be rolling back tax cuts for the richest Americans,  we should not in the process penalize the backbone of the American economy, small businesses.

The cuts will not affect small businesses.  Expenses such as salaries and wages are decuted from a 1040 Schedule C before you get taxable income.  <off the Atlasia record>...  I know Pres. Bush loves to make opposition to his tax cuts seem like that, but he is really full of it.  If you are hiring employees, your taxable income goes down anyway.  Anything taxed are the pure profits of the business.  One thing I am in favor of is separating retained earnings from "take home" income for tax purposes.  I would make retained earnings a flat tax of 15% for income over $100,000 on corporate returns and any dividends, etc. would be on the individual's marginal rate.  <on the record>....  Hmm, that maybe a new bill later I would consider!
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2004, 02:11:17 AM »

There are a full 400,000 small businesses that are taxed under the personal income tax code.  No matter how you spin it, those small businesses will be crippled by your tax increases.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2004, 01:02:29 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2004, 06:54:11 PM by Senator Texasgurl »

I have decided to oppose this bill.
JFK summed it up excellently.
"I echo the sentiments of Senator Stevennick, this is merely a tax hike passed off as a boost for the troops."
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2004, 02:43:03 AM »

There are a full 400,000 small businesses that are taxed under the personal income tax code.  No matter how you spin it, those small businesses will be crippled by your tax increases.

These are less than Clinton Administration taxes.  Did they crush businesses?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 04:48:40 AM »

Give it up, this doesn't have a snowball chance in hell. Withdraw this, it is taking space needed for more important debate.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2004, 07:31:52 PM »

Motion to suspend debate and move right into a vote on this.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2004, 07:42:57 PM »

Motion to suspend debate and move right into a vote on this.

Seconded.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2004, 07:44:29 PM »

As simple advice to the Senate:

You must acquire a total of five Senators support before a bill can be brought to premature vote.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2004, 08:31:27 PM »

I concur with the motion to suspend.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2004, 02:36:36 AM »

Let's put this to a vote.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2004, 02:48:33 AM »

I concur the motion.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2004, 08:05:46 PM »

As five senators have now spoken in favor of bringing the bill to a vote, we can start voting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2004, 08:35:18 PM »

Due to Senator JFK's absence, I will excercise my powers as President of the Senate by opening the vote on this Bill. All those in favor signify by voting Yea, all those opposed signify by voting Nay. Voting will end at 11:59 PM on Saturday December 4.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2004, 09:42:28 PM »

Nay.
StevenNick