Deficit Reduction and Emergency War Spending Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:15:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Deficit Reduction and Emergency War Spending Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Deficit Reduction and Emergency War Spending Bill  (Read 6478 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2004, 10:44:25 PM »

Clause 1.  Repeal of 2003 Federal Tax Cuts

Clause 2.  Military pay will be increased by 5 percent across the board.

a.  Combat Zone personnel shall receive $3000 extra for every 3 months on active duty in such a dangerous zone.

Clause 3.  Any extra revenue from the increased military spending shall be used to pay down the federal budget deficit.

Come on we need this to get increased pay for our troops.  We also can't be servitude to foreign nations in our borrowing.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 11:00:02 PM »

Instead of proposing half a dozen new bills, perhaps you should concentrate on actually giving the Senate the power to do these things?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 11:04:37 PM »

I would like to echo the CJs sentiments. You have in fact contributed the sum total of 31 words to the debate on the Senate Powers Amendment - it would be good if Senators could get involved in this so that the process is expedited.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 11:23:28 PM »

I would like to echo the CJs sentiments. You have in fact contributed the sum total of 31 words to the debate on the Senate Powers Amendment - it would be good if Senators could get involved in this so that the process is expedited.

Allright already.  I would just like to get some bills passed ehre.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 03:17:32 AM »

Now y'all start to agree with me.

Anyways, this is never going to pass. Wven if it goes through the senate, it will surely be vetoed.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 04:06:41 PM »

This bill is simply a tax increase being passed off as a support our troops measure.  If we're want to give our troops a pay raise, why don't we do it with the money we're currently spending on the National Endowment for the Arts, farm subsidies, No Child Left Behind, federal funding for Planned Parenthood, AMTRAK, etc.  Cut spending elsewhere and then we can talk about spending new money, but for God's sake, don't ever propose a tax increase!!
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 05:55:16 PM »

Well, naturally you don't care about AMTRAK, StevenNick, for all intensive purposes it is a Boston-Washington thing, which makes up a lot of IrishDemocrat's District, so I can understand why he wouldn't want to cut funding for it.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 06:24:54 PM »

Well, naturally you don't care about AMTRAK, StevenNick, for all intensive purposes it is a Boston-Washington thing, which makes up a lot of IrishDemocrat's District, so I can understand why he wouldn't want to cut funding for it.

I want to cut funding for it because it's a failure.  It has been mismanaged from its conception and it has never once yielded a profit.  AMTRAK may well win the prize for the most poorly executed government program in U.S. history and that's really saying something.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 11:03:07 PM »

Well let's get out of the hypothetics and get back to the matter at hand.
I'm not totally sure about this bill.  Perhaps the author could explain his reasoning?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 03:57:39 AM »

I want to cut funding for it because it's a failure.  It has been mismanaged from its conception and it has never once yielded a profit.  AMTRAK may well win the prize for the most poorly executed government program in U.S. history and that's really saying something.

AMTRAK is vital to the economy of my Senate District.  There is no way in hell it would ever be shut down.  I will never cut education spending and the many other programs as well.  I would favor closing some corporate loopholes to finance some projects. 

When there is a time of war, taxes shall NEVER be decreased especially if they go largely towards the wealthier brackets. 
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 01:46:05 PM »

Can anyone say piggybagging?
Needless to say, I pledged to vote against every tax hike, so I'll vote against this.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 03:04:42 PM »

AMTRAK is vital to the economy of my Senate District.  There is no way in hell it would ever be shut down.  I will never cut education spending and the many other programs as well.  I would favor closing some corporate loopholes to finance some projects. 

When there is a time of war, taxes shall NEVER be decreased especially if they go largely towards the wealthier brackets. 

Blah, blah, blah.

You people are thieves.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 10:38:55 AM »

IrishDem, your actions are too veigh. Make a bill that actually does something specific instead of repealing the "2003 Federal Tax Cuts" which could mean anything.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 04:00:19 PM »

I wouldn't just kill AMTRAK and leave it dead.  I would sell it to the highest bidder, privatize it.  There's a very significant difference.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 03:30:09 AM »

This in its most basic terms will cut the deficit by $1.1 trillion over 10 years. Thats just too much too soon, however, if you just rollback the 2003 tax cut for just those making over $154,000 it will be just $525 billion over 10 years which is liveable.

Our deficit is about $7 trillion right now.  I recommend this proposal, but if it were jsut those making over $154,000, I could live with it if mroe would vote for it.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 11:49:53 AM »

This in its most basic terms will cut the deficit by $1.1 trillion over 10 years. Thats just too much too soon, however, if you just rollback the 2003 tax cut for just those making over $154,000 it will be just $525 billion over 10 years which is liveable.

Our deficit is about $7 trillion right now.  I recommend this proposal, but if it were jsut those making over $154,000, I could live with it if mroe would vote for it.
How do you get that number IrishDem? The highest numbers that I have seen are about 2 trillion USD.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2004, 09:33:42 PM »

How do you get that number IrishDem? The highest numbers that I have seen are about 2 trillion USD.

Duh, the Howard Dean Democrat's Almanac
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 09:56:41 PM »

Duh, the Howard Dean Democrat's Almanac

I'm a proud subscriber Smiley
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 05:19:21 AM »

This bill is simply a tax increase being passed off as a support our troops measure.  If we're want to give our troops a pay raise, why don't we do it with the money we're currently spending on the National Endowment for the Arts, farm subsidies, No Child Left Behind, federal funding for Planned Parenthood, AMTRAK, etc.  Cut spending elsewhere and then we can talk about spending new money, but for God's sake, don't ever propose a tax increase!!

I echo the sentiments of Senator Stevennick, this is merely a tax hike passed off as a boost for the troops.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 01:24:59 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2004, 01:35:31 PM by King »

After looking at the IrishDemocrat proposal more closely and analyzing the data it is a WORTHLESS tax hike. It raises taxes by at 3-8% accross the board and puts absolutely no dent into the deficit because fof the large increase in military spending.

If we moved government funded programs like NASA, AMTRAK, and USPS into regulated private industries we could save a projected $0.98 trillion over the next decade with no need for a tax hike. Not to mention the fanfare these independment entities will gain on Wall Street.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 02:35:42 PM »

I am going to oppose this bill; although it has good intention, a huge tax raise should only be enacted for crucial things, and the bill's author hasn't convinced me that it's crucial.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 03:40:46 PM »

If we moved government funded programs like NASA, AMTRAK, and USPS into regulated private industries we could save a projected $0.98 trillion over the next decade with no need for a tax hike. Not to mention the fanfare these independment entities will gain on Wall Street.

Not a good idea at all...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 04:00:13 PM »

NASA, AMTRAK, and USPS employees are also open to more unionization since their are members of independent corporations.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 04:19:56 PM »

NASA, AMTRAK, and USPS employees are also open to more unionization since their are members of independent corporations.

My father is a USPS worker.  There is NO WAY I would privatize them.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2004, 04:55:15 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2004, 04:59:08 PM by King »

My father is a USPS worker.  There is NO WAY I would privatize them.

My grandfather is a retired USPS worker and he says the government is running it into the ground. A an independent USPS Corporation will bring in a breath of fresh air and it will likely become more competitive with other indy shippers like UPS and FedEx.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies