Nullification Amendment to the Constitution -would you vote for it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:34:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Nullification Amendment to the Constitution -would you vote for it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you vote for a proposed constitutional amendment that would enable states to repeal any act of Congress they deem unconstitutional?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Democrat: Undecided

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

Republican: Undecided

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

independent/third party: Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Nullification Amendment to the Constitution -would you vote for it?  (Read 8306 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2010, 11:12:34 PM »

I personally haven't yet made up my mind on whether or not I would vote for such an amendment if it were put to a vote here in Virginia:

Amendment Would Enable States to Repeal Federal Law

By KATE ZERNIKE
Published: December 19, 2010

The same people driving the lawsuits that seek to dismantle the Obama administration’s health care overhaul have set their sights on an even bigger target: a constitutional amendment that would allow a vote of the states to overturn any act of Congress.

Under the proposed “repeal amendment,” any federal law or regulation could be repealed if the legislatures of two-thirds of the states voted to do so.

The idea has been propelled by the wave of Republican victories in the midterm elections. First promoted by Virginia lawmakers and Tea Party groups, it has the support of legislative leaders in 12 states. It also won the backing of the incoming House majority leader, Representative Eric Cantor, when it was introduced this month in Congress.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 11:41:34 PM »

No. Horrible, horrible idea. If anything, we should be encouraging the ability to nullify state law--where most of the really irresponsible legislation actually happens because no one is paying attention--rather than the other way around.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:00:40 AM »

No thanks, I'm okay without slaves.

This would only be a good idea if county governments could nullify state laws, municipal governments could nulify county laws, and families could nullify municipal laws.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:55:16 AM »

If anything, we should be pushing for amendments to reduce states to geographical distinctions rather than what status they have as political entities.  They're an archaic relic.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 04:15:37 AM »

No. Horrible, horrible idea. If anything, we should be encouraging the ability to nullify state law--where most of the really irresponsible legislation actually happens because no one is paying attention--rather than the other way around.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 04:16:14 AM »

If anything, we should be pushing for amendments to reduce states to geographical distinctions rather than what status they have as political entities.  They're an archaic relic.

Good luck trying to get three-fourths of the states to ratify their own power away.  You'd have to come up with some major canard to make people support that.

Oh well, you could always get the Supreme Court to decide that the word "state" in the Constitution refers to ice cream trucks.  Why even bother with amendments?  It's a "living document" after all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:29:13 AM »

I would want my state to nullify such an amendment.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 06:31:43 AM »

Awful idea, and very counterproductive to the rule of law.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »

I support it, if you can get 2/3rds of the states to agree on anything, let 'em.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:20:32 AM »

No, they way it is now is fine.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 11:04:44 AM »

I feel a bit ill just reading that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 03:59:29 PM »

Morgan, I didn't seriously mean that anyone would go along with that.  That's just a step towards my ideal answer: a unitary, unicameral Parliamentary democracy with the abolition of separate executive and judicial branches (we can have a Law Lords equivalent in Parliament, and lower courts appointed by them).

In all seriousness, what we really need is a new Constitution every 50-75 years.  It's really absurd to watch people venerate this 225+ year old document like illiterate Medieval peasants hoping that a long-dead Saint's bones will cure their myopia.  The dead should serve the living, not vice versa, and the form of government the dead chose for themselves should expire with them.  Rather than argue about original intent like a passage out of the Mishnah ("Rabbi Jefferson of Monticello added this, but Reb Washington disagreed"), let's bury them and their government and make one that's truly our own, and let's give posterity the right to bury our form with us.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 04:27:07 PM »

I'd rather not give people in the rest of the country a bigger say in the law. A lot of them are idiots.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 06:20:40 PM »

Morgan, I didn't seriously mean that anyone would go along with that.  That's just a step towards my ideal answer: a unitary, unicameral Parliamentary democracy with the abolition of separate executive and judicial branches (we can have a Law Lords equivalent in Parliament, and lower courts appointed by them).

I can't see how such concentration of power would be a good thing, especially in a nation as big as the United States.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 07:03:06 PM »

If subordinate states can nullify federal law, what's the point of even having a nation?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »

If subordinate states can nullify federal law, what's the point of even having a nation?

Well technically, the federal government is supposed to be subordinate to the states -- not the other way around.  But, there's no reason why subnational entities cannot check the power of the national government.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 08:33:03 PM »

It would be a lot simpler to just repeal the Seventeenth Amendment.  The Senate was the branch of Congress originally intended to be beholden to the State legislatures.  Worse, under this amendment, it would be possible for States with less than one-third of the total population to repeal a Federal law.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »

It would be a lot simpler to just repeal the Seventeenth Amendment.  The Senate was the branch of Congress originally intended to be beholden to the State legislatures.  Worse, under this amendment, it would be possible for States with less than one-third of the total population to repeal a Federal law.

Repealing the Seventeenth Amendment certainly would give the state legislatures the veto power over acts of Congress that this amendment seeks.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 11:21:26 PM »

In all seriousness, what we really need is a new Constitution every 50-75 years.  It's really absurd to watch people venerate this 225+ year old document like illiterate Medieval peasants hoping that a long-dead Saint's bones will cure their myopia.

The one big advantage of having an unwritten constitution (or a reasonably flexible written one, for that matter) is that you don't have this particular problem.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 12:06:38 AM »

but then you get worse problems
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 12:23:10 AM »

Repealing the Seventeenth Amendment certainly would give the state legislatures the veto power over acts of Congress that this amendment seeks.

I don't know if there's enough state legislatures that disagree with any act of Congress at any one time to get 51 seats in the Senate against any act.    At least, they can't get any more dissent than direct election already provides.

Plus, as mediocre as I find my Senate representation, I cringe at the thought of who the New Mexico legislature would elect.

Although, in the modern age, it could give state legislatures a more parliamentary feel (the Senate elections in each state would have "party leaders" who would be elected Senator if that party is voted for in the legislature races) and inspire more interest in them.  Interest leads to more populist policy I'd imagine.

I'm torn on this issue.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 12:28:43 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2010, 12:30:44 AM by Verily »

Morgan, I didn't seriously mean that anyone would go along with that.  That's just a step towards my ideal answer: a unitary, unicameral Parliamentary democracy with the abolition of separate executive and judicial branches (we can have a Law Lords equivalent in Parliament, and lower courts appointed by them).

I can't see how such concentration of power would be a good thing, especially in a nation as big as the United States.

There is no such thing as a concentration of power in a legislature.

Anyway, basically agree with Mikado, although I like independent courts and would keep them around. Also, common law is an excellent way around legislative inertia and very important to the functioning and vivacity of a legal system.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 01:11:30 AM »

Morgan, I didn't seriously mean that anyone would go along with that.  That's just a step towards my ideal answer: a unitary, unicameral Parliamentary democracy with the abolition of separate executive and judicial branches (we can have a Law Lords equivalent in Parliament, and lower courts appointed by them).

There is no such thing as a concentration of power in a legislature.

There is, when you eliminate the power of any subnational entity, and give all the power to the national government.  That is what I mean when I say concentration of power.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 01:20:22 AM »

The only reasons why anybody would support such concentration of power seems to just boil down to "because the states do things I disagree with."  Why else would you want to completely dissolve the government of Idaho or Oklahoma, and concentrate all power into an entity that you can influence?  These reasons the more astute of the twenty-something new agey liberals give are just canards for what is nothing more than political absolutism.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 08:34:36 AM »

If it increases the odds of the United States fracturing into multiple countries, then probably. Of course it would fail, so it doesn't really matter what I think of it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies