Junkie Concession Speech-- Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:15:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Junkie Concession Speech-- Again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Junkie Concession Speech-- Again  (Read 5674 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 10:41:23 PM »

Considering that HappyWarrior has expressed that he is rooting for the Packers, this completely changes my thoughts on the race. I'm just not sure how comfortable I feel electing a Steelers fan...

Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2011, 05:13:57 AM »

I of course hope that this leads to a series of serious questions, but also that we continue the tradition from "my name is Junkie..." of having several responses in at least 5 different languages.

Ti accontento subito. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »

Junkie, how many girls you already did in your lifetime?
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2011, 09:06:40 AM »

Junkie, how many girls you already did in your lifetime?

Why? You looking for tips?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »

Junkie, would you vote for the Progressive Taxation Act if you were currently in the Senate?
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 06:04:21 PM »

I just wanted to take some time to address the recent "Reality or Nothing" bill passed by the Senate.  What happened was a tragedy.  No one in their right mind would condone the killing of innocent people, no matter the cause or beliefs behind it.  Terrorism is a criminal act, pure and simple.

That being said, I find the recent actions of the Senate a little troubling.  In the first part, the bill labels the group a "terrorist group."  The second part authorizes the government to use "whatever reasonable and lawful means they can to stop Reality or Nothing from committing any further acts of terrorism."

Exactly what does this mean? I assume this is meant to tell the government to investigate the group and try to prevent future acts of terror.  Unless I am mistaken as to Atlasian law, the government already has that power.  Blowing up buildings and killing people is against the law.  Law Enforcement is empowered to investigate crimes and arrest those that committed those crimes.  So, best case scenario, this law tells police and federal authorities to do what they should already be doing.

What troubles me is the precedent.  This statute could lead to "labeling" of organizations and the people that are members.  Members of Reality or Nothing piss me off, but unless they commit crimes, assist those who commit crimes, or solicit others to commit those crimes, what have they done wrong other than be A**holes?

I have been prosecuting violent street gangs for the last five years.  Wisconsin currently does not have a statute that outlaws gangs or gang membership.  Unlike many of coworkers, I think that is for the best.  I hate gangs, but simply being in one should not be a crime, commiting a crime is.

I just get scared when governments start labeling organizations and criminalizing what is either "motive" or "association."

Thak You.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2011, 05:24:38 PM »

I just wanted to take some time to address the recent "Reality or Nothing" bill passed by the Senate.  What happened was a tragedy.  No one in their right mind would condone the killing of innocent people, no matter the cause or beliefs behind it.  Terrorism is a criminal act, pure and simple.

That being said, I find the recent actions of the Senate a little troubling.  In the first part, the bill labels the group a "terrorist group."  The second part authorizes the government to use "whatever reasonable and lawful means they can to stop Reality or Nothing from committing any further acts of terrorism."

Exactly what does this mean? I assume this is meant to tell the government to investigate the group and try to prevent future acts of terror.  Unless I am mistaken as to Atlasian law, the government already has that power.  Blowing up buildings and killing people is against the law.  Law Enforcement is empowered to investigate crimes and arrest those that committed those crimes.  So, best case scenario, this law tells police and federal authorities to do what they should already be doing.

What troubles me is the precedent.  This statute could lead to "labeling" of organizations and the people that are members.  Members of Reality or Nothing piss me off, but unless they commit crimes, assist those who commit crimes, or solicit others to commit those crimes, what have they done wrong other than be A**holes?

I have been prosecuting violent street gangs for the last five years.  Wisconsin currently does not have a statute that outlaws gangs or gang membership.  Unlike many of coworkers, I think that is for the best.  I hate gangs, but simply being in one should not be a crime, commiting a crime is.

I just get scared when governments start labeling organizations and criminalizing what is either "motive" or "association."

Thak You.

I thought it interesting the bill passed without any query as to what evidence, if any, was then available showing RON was actually responsible....
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 06:48:01 PM »

Thak You.

I thought it interesting the bill passed without any query as to what evidence, if any, was then available showing RON was actually responsible....

If I recall correctly they claimed responsibility correct?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »

Thak You.

If I recall correctly they claimed responsibility correct?

An unidentified caller before and after the bombing did. That's all.

Since then, charged bombing suspect Colin Hart Nickell has allegedly admitted association with RON.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »

It's election time, and not a moment too soon.  First, I want to thank HappyWarrior.  Our campaign may not have been as exciting as some others, but it is exactly what I wanted.  We have discussed our agreements and our disagreements, and I am proud to have been your opponent in this election. 

To everyone else, go out an vote.  Happy and I are clearly both moderates, but come to that from different areas of the spectrum.  I hope that you agree with me and believe that I would be a benefit to the Senate.  If elected, I will consider every issue, work with anyone of any party to accomplish what is needed, but in the end, will always do what I believe in my heart to be right.

So go out an vote.

Thank you,

Junkie
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »

I can honestly say this was one of the most melancholy and chivalrous campaigns ever Cheesy
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2011, 07:11:54 PM »

Well, the results are in and they are about what you would expect when you go up against a respected and active Senator such as HappyWarrior.  You lose.

First, to my supporters.  You were great and always there for me.  I owe you my thanks.  I apologize that I could not reward your support and efforts with a victory.  That is my fault, I should have worked harder.  It's not bad to lose to someone like Happy, it just feels terrible when people support you and you can't lead them to victory.  Again I am sorry, but I am sure the Mideast will be represented by a very able Senator. 

Senator HappyWarrior, you have been a class act this entire time.  It appears your concerns were pre-mature.  We do disagree on several issues, but I know you will work hard and do what you think is right.  I thank you for making this election such an enjoyable experience for me.

Lastly, I want to congratulate all the other winners: Bgwah, Yank, Kal, Rowan and closer to my heart Tmth and Dallas.  I have known Dallas longer than most and am glad.  Tmth, you are one of my closest friends here and I am really happy for you.  I look forward to all the great things I know you will accomplish.

Well, that makes two defeats in a row.  This has been a great experience, so I do not know what the future holds.  If nothing else I will get back to work on the history of Atlasia.

Again, thanks to everyone.  And once again, congrats Happy.

Junkie
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2011, 07:12:24 PM »

Best luck in future adventures, dude.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »

You put up a respectable challenge, Junkie. It was a great race; both candidates were very good.

Oh, and:

Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »

Smiley  Ditto
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2011, 07:29:28 PM »

I really wish both you and HW could have won, you'd both be excellent senators. Don't worry though, you'll have a good future, and I'm sure we'll see you in a high office before you know it. Best of luck.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »

Aww Junkie. Sad Good luck to you in the future. One day, you'll be able to grace the Senate with your presence. I just know it.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »

Nice try.  You know, you might consider moving to another region.  The southeast would love to have you Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »

Junkie, congratulations on a well fought campaign. The pressure I put myself under was quite enormous when I realized that my vote was the kingmaker. In fact, I didn't reach a decision until a couple of minutes before polls closed.

It was really tough to vote against either of you. In the end, it was probably the incumbent's advantage, in a sense, as I simply couldn't find a good reason to vote Happy out of office.

That said, I encourage you to seek office again in the future. I've voted for you once before....and I'd love to have the opportunity to do it again sometime Smiley

Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »

Thanks everyone.  It takes the sting out of losing.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2011, 11:25:13 PM »

Junkie for Attorney General!  Smiley
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2011, 11:27:30 PM »

Junkie for Attorney General Northeast Lt. Governor!  Smiley

Come on over, Rover Tongue
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2011, 07:36:48 AM »

Don't listen to either of them. You should run in the at-large by-election to fill Dallasfan's seat.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2011, 07:41:37 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2011, 08:05:19 AM »

Congratulations to Junkie and HW for this beautiful race. I'm sorry you lost, even though your opponent was equally good, and of course stay sure you have a brilliant future in Atlasia. Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies