Junkie Concession Speech-- Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:20:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Junkie Concession Speech-- Again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Junkie Concession Speech-- Again  (Read 5680 times)
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:44:20 PM »
« edited: February 20, 2011, 07:00:07 PM by Junkie »

It is a busy night.  So all I will say is that I am running for Mideast Assembly.  More later.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:46:51 PM »

I, as an opponent in the upcoming election, would like to humbly wish you good luck.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:56:21 PM »

While I at times disagree with your overly rigid interpretation of the constitution, you can expect a preference from me. You have a brilliant legal mind, and besides we need more prosecutors in Atlasia! Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »

In the spirit of my opponent Ogis (who's already posted here), I too, humbly wish you good luck.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »

Endorsed!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 05:12:01 PM »

Hey! Angry

If you're gonna withdraw your endorsement, you might want to talk to the person!
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 05:15:48 PM »

Hey! Angry

If you're gonna withdraw your endorsement, you might want to talk to the person!

You get 5 votes. I've endorsed 3 candidates now Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 05:16:36 PM »

OK. Sorry. I was mistaken.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 07:42:08 PM »

Everyone thanks for the kind words.  I am working on a presentation for this weekend.  In the meantime, if anyone has any questions -- shoot.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »

For those of you that don't know me, I was just recently appointed to the Mideast Assembly by our Governor.  I am now running for election to a term in my own right.

I joined Atlasia earlier this year and was a member of the DA before joining the RPP.  Before my appointment, my main occupation was as editor of the Atlasian Law Journal.  There I concentrated on understanding the Constitution and the roles of the branches of Government.  I think it is quite clear that I believe the powers of the Government are limited to only what is expressly written in the Constitution.

Thus, I think it is fair to say I believe in checks and balances, a limited Federal Government, and strong Regional Government. 

Beyond that I am a strong believer in a balanced budget.  I also am in favor of tax cuts to spur economic growth, but only when they are accompanied by spending cuts so as to keep a balanced budget and start paying down the debt.  These principals applied when I supported our Governor's recent education proposal.

I am also a strong supporter of law enforcement.  The two bills I have authored in the Assembly, while they have not been voted on, have concentrated in this area.  First, I authored the DUI bill to fix holes in our drunk driving laws and increase punishment for aggravated situations.  Second, I have authored a firearms safety bill to keep guns out of the hands of convicted felons and protect law enforcement officers from individuals with concealed weapons.

Socially, I am pro-choice, in favor of gay marriage and adoption.

I had not originally thought about talking about unions.  After seeing the discussion on one of my opponents threads, I feel the need to weight in on the issue.  I am currently a member of a public employees union.  It quite frankly is useless.  It protects the interests of only a few and does not concentrate on actually making government work.  I do not believe in government employee unions and would favor a civil service merit pay progression over collective bargaining.

Any other questions, let me know.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 02:47:45 PM »

Were you appointed by Tmthforu?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »

Yes. He's been the only Governor since the summer.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »

California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 10:25:48 PM »

Congrats on the DUI bill and all your hard work!
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 07:54:05 PM »

Endorsed !
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »

Thanks to everyone who voted for me.  It appeared a very close race in the end there.  Now that I have been elected in my own right, I plan to continue doing the job the best I can.  Again thank you and congrats to everyone else who won.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »

Congrats on your victory.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 11:26:08 PM »

Congrats, can't wait to work with you through the next assembly
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »

Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »

I originally did not intend to run for the At-Large Senate seat.  I was recently appointed and then elected in my own right to the Mideast Assembly.  Quite frankly, working with my fellow assembly members and Governor has been better than I ever imagined.

However, the tone of Atlasia has become quite untenable.  Be it in front of the Supreme Court, in presidential campaign threads, in the Senate, the situation has gotten out of hand.  We have gone beyond bitter partisanship (which was bad enough) into downright childish name-calling.

Do we elect Senators just to make waves or to deny a rival party a seat, or are we trying to send the best we have to offer to actually accomplish the tasks in front of us?  I wish and hope for the latter, and that is why I am running.

I am not so vain to think that I am the answer to this problem.  Ben has also announced for similar reasons.  After reading his announcement, I decided that someone else needed to run to try and help restore civility to the process.  If for no other reason than to prove that these races will not won by who can scream the loudest

We may not always agree, but we can disagree and work together to accomplish what we are elected to do.  In the Mideast Assembly, Inks A-Bob and I have worked together with our Governor on firearms restrictions,  the raising of the min. wage, and combating drunk driving.  We may all be from the same party, but all of us are on different parts of the spectrum.  Our disagreements were real, but civil, and were worked out to accomplish what we needed to be done.

If elected Senator, I will do what I feel is the right thing to do.  But I will do it respectfully and will the aim of furthering the goals of Atlasia.

More to follow
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »

Endorsed.  As of now, you are my 2nd preference.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »

I'm extremely proud to endorse you and offer you my first preference. Smiley The federal government needs more open-minded, bi-partisan individuals like you. Though this is bittersweet, as I may lose you in the Assembly. Sad
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 05:43:45 PM »

Endorsed. Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »

Endorsed for sure.

I would also like to ask you the same question I asked Ben and Libertas.

How would you have voted on the recent "Make PS Happy in his retirement Amendment"
?
Do you think that maintaining an effective activity standard for Senators is important and do you think an expulsion vote would be as effective as the current system of 21 days of innactivity leading to a vacancy?
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »

Endorsed for sure.

I would also like to ask you the same question I asked Ben and Libertas.

How would you have voted on the recent "Make PS Happy in his retirement Amendment"
?
Do you think that maintaining an effective activity standard for Senators is important and do you think an expulsion vote would be as effective as the current system of 21 days of innactivity leading to a vacancy?

Thanks for the endorsement.  And thanks to everyone else for their kind words.

Now in response to your question.  I believe that maintaining activity for Senators is clearly important for the Senate (to get the work done) and for the game (keeping it fun and relevant).  As far as an expulsion vote vs. 21 days of inactivity leading to a vacancy, I am actually in favor the 21 days of inactivity.  Here's why:

Why I understand Purple State's concerns in terms of the Constitution, I do not believe that the current standard is in effect an expulsion.  This admittedly confusion viewpoint is based upon the unique nature of the game.  What 21 days of inactivity is in effect saying is that Senator is gone, almost as though they died. 

A case I cited earlier during this discussion places the power to regulate the Senate solely in the hands of the Senate, so long as it does not interfere with the Constitution.  As I do not believe inactivity is the same as expulsion, I thus believe that the Constitution does not prevent a declaration of inactivity.

Now the situation with BK does my view a disservice because BK came back (whether in time or not I will not get into).  But what if he had not?  What if he never logged on again?  If he leaves the game, he is in effect leaving this world.  Does it really make sense to have to vote to expel a Senator that is no longer with us?  In my opinion it does not. 

As I believe the old system was constitutionally valid, I see no reason for the amendment.  That being said, my reasoning is my strict legal view and I do believe that others concerns, while not correct in my view, are worth taking note.  Thus I would have voted for the amendment.

I hope that answers your questions.  Anyone else have any?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies