CA: Rasmussen: Boxer narrowly leads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:43:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  CA: Rasmussen: Boxer narrowly leads
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CA: Rasmussen: Boxer narrowly leads  (Read 3765 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »

New Poll: California Senator by Rasmussen on 2010-10-21

Summary: D: 48%, R: 46%, I: 3%, U: 3%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Whacker77

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »

I guess until Boxer clears 50%, this one is worth watching.  This race could hinge on the early races.  If there is a big wave in the early time zones, it might affect a few votes.  I think that's stretch though.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »

California votes heavily absentee. Even if Fiorina can pull into the lead sometime late next week that may be too late.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »

I know it's become popular these days to point out that Boxer can't hit 50, but the fact is that she doesn't need to hit 50 to win. If minor candidates got up to 4% of the vote in the senate race and up to 6-8% in the governor's race, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »

Hey, not bad.  I'm still weary of Carly's odds in the end, but this is encouraging.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 04:35:23 PM »

I know it's become popular these days to point out that Boxer can't hit 50, but the fact is that she doesn't need to hit 50 to win. If minor candidates got up to 4% of the vote in the senate race and up to 6-8% in the governor's race, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

It's never good for an incumbent to be below 50 consistently this late in the game.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »

It's never good for an incumbent to be below 50 consistently this late in the game.

Not good, no....but assuming that third parties take a good deal of the vote.....the "safe" minimum that Boxer needs is definitely under 50.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »

Boxer being under 50 isn't that much of a problem, a lead is a lead and she's maintaining a consistent one. And as I've stated before, Fiorina's support is not moving at all.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 04:49:53 PM »

I have a felling that the control of the Senate will be up in the air until after midnight.

I'd still predict that the Democrats hold it, however.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »

I don't know if anyone noticed it or not, but Boxer is under 50%.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 04:58:37 PM »

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 05:00:51 PM »

I have a felling that the control of the Senate will be up in the air until after midnight.

Sounds like your 1.5% margin in Pennsylvania 2 years ago...Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »

Isn't there an old "rule of thumb" that undecideds break 2-1 against the incumbent? If that is so, then Carly may have a chance after all.

Not that I think she will win. My money is on Boxer wins by a margin of two points, and laughably, Carly will probably do better then Megasaur.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 05:19:05 PM »

So what? There are also 4 minor party candidates on the ballot.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »

Isn't there an old "rule of thumb" that undecideds break 2-1 against the incumbent? If that is so, then Carly may have a chance after all.

The "undecideds break 2-1 against the incumbent" rule, along with the "incumbent under 50% is in trouble" rule, is arbitrary and silly. I'd like to see quantitative data on either.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 05:56:59 PM »

The "undecideds break 2-1 against the incumbent" rule, along with the "incumbent under 50% is in trouble" rule, is arbitrary and silly. I'd like to see quantitative data on either.

If that rule was true, Bruce Lunsford, Ronnie Musgrove, Tom Strickland and Jim Martin would all be in the Senate today. 
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 06:17:55 PM »

If that rule was true, Bruce Lunsford, Ronnie Musgrove, Tom Strickland and Jim Martin would all be in the Senate today. 

Ah, I see. It's just something I heard recently... In any case, I say Boxer wins.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 06:22:36 PM »

Minor party candidates are always overrepresented in polling. And they are very likely to vote anti-incumbent these people that say they'll vote minor but don't. Plus undecidedes will break to anti-incumbent and the momentum for the last month is on Fiorina's side IMO. And republicans are more active in non-presidential years, plus huge fall in democratic young voters this time around, plus a few empty ballots in this race or all races coming from democrats...

This race will probably be 49.5-48.5 ish for Fiorina.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 06:54:07 PM »

CA's 3rd parties usually get at least 2-3% points and normally, they are a liberal party that would siphon support from the democrats.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »

48% is 50% in California. Lots of third party strength here and I expect it to be even stronger this year.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »

CA's 3rd parties usually get at least 2-3% points and normally, they are a liberal party that would siphon support from the democrats.

They can get a fair amount more than that. For example, they got 8.4% in the 1994 Senate race, despite that being a close race.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »

Boxer is under 50%.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 07:58:34 PM »

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »

Sounds like your 1.5% margin in Pennsylvania 2 years ago...Smiley

Two races on the west coast, CA, WA, and I'm predicting an eight seat gain in the Senate.

Nine possible seats east of the Rockies, PA, WV, IN, IL, AR, WI, NE, CO, NV.

Late night Senate determination isn't too much of a stretch.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »

a "rule of thumb" is not a hard and fast rule. it seems to hold true often enough that it is plausible to consider among other indicators.
http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spot/250399/embattled-incumbents-those-final-poll-numbers-are-often-painfully-accurate

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies