Which Republican 2010 Candidates are Potential 2016 Contenders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:31:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which Republican 2010 Candidates are Potential 2016 Contenders?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Republican 2010 Candidates are Potential 2016 Contenders?  (Read 6549 times)
pragmatic liberal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »

Here on the Atlas forum, it's never too early to make ridiculously premature predictions about future elections!

This will probably be more appropriate after November, once we see which candidates actually win - but which Republican candidates for governor or senator strike people as solid potential 2016 presidential contenders?

(Yes, obviously, their 2016 chances would depend on Obama winning reelection; should he lose, the calendar may pass them by.)

Rick Snyder in Michigan would seem to be an obvious contender. Provided that the Michigan economy picks up over the next few years and provided that he can keep the social cons happy without alienating moderates, he could be a very solid 2016 nominee, as the governor of a large, Democratic-leaning swing state.

Bill Haslam in Tennessee is another good prospect. Susan Martinez in NM and Brian Sandoval in NV would seem like solid prospects too, although more likely as VP than president. Maybe Kelly Ayotte in NH Senate, though she still has to win what may be a close race, and her speaking style is somewhat weak. I'm skeptical about Nikki Haley, given the allegations against her, though they could well be seen as discredited and old news by 2016. And of course, Marco Rubio in FL, though he looks set to lose to Crist unless he really shakes the race up.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:52:32 PM »

Hickenlooper and Bernero might be appealing candidates (especially for VP) if they win. I don't think Sandoval would be a good candidate for either Prez or VP due to his position on abortion.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »

Hickenlooper and Bernero might be appealing candidates (especially for VP) if they win. I don't think Sandoval would be a good candidate for either Prez or VP due to his position on abortion.

Well Hickenlooper and Bernero are Democrats and the thread was about Republicans. But yes, Hickenlooper could be a potential contender. Andrew Cuomo will obviously run unless his implodes ala Spitzer.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:07:53 AM »

Sitting governors so rarely run for president anymore.  Richardson was the only one who did it in either 2004 or 2008.  Daniels might do it in 2012, but he'd be in the last year of his second term.  Though I guess it's possible you could get someone like Romney....serve one term as governor, then opt out of a second term so you can focus on appealing to the GOP base and setting up a run for prez.  Not sure who that would be though.  Rick Snyder?  Bill Brady?

As for senators, Ayotte doesn't seem like the type to run for president after just one term.  Might be a contender for VP though.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 02:57:11 PM »

Sitting governors so rarely run for president anymore.  Richardson was the only one who did it in either 2004 or 2008.  Daniels might do it in 2012, but he'd be in the last year of his second term.  Though I guess it's possible you could get someone like Romney....serve one term as governor, then opt out of a second term so you can focus on appealing to the GOP base and setting up a run for prez.  Not sure who that would be though.  Rick Snyder?  Bill Brady?

To be fair, Clinton and Bush Jr. ran for President as incumbent Governors. 1992 and 2000 was kinda recent.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »

To be fair, Clinton and Bush Jr. ran for President as incumbent Governors. 1992 and 2000 was kinda recent.

Not "recent" as I'm defining them.  In the past two election cycles, the campaign has started earlier than ever before, with most candidates entering the race by January of the year before the election and primary debates being held in April of the year before the election.  Contrast that to 2000, when the debates didn't even begin until October.  It's tough to get sworn in for your second term as governor and then, two seconds later say "I'm going to spend the next two years running for president".  Much tougher now than it was when the "invisible primary" didn't last so long.  This isn't as big a deal for senators, since it's easier to be MIA as a senator.  Being MIA as a chief executive looks much worse.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »

I could see Snyder making a run down the line, if he proves to be a decent governor. Though his biggest hinderance in the primaries would be his support of embryonic stem cell research.

Ayotte has crossed my mind as well.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »

There are a whole host of candidates who could be potential presidents in 2016. The obvious choices for the Republicans are probably Marco Rubio (He's already a superstar and hasn't even won the office yet), and John Thune (Already elected, but still a 2010 candidate).

I can also see Meg Whitman running for office provided she is elected this year. She has the money, the ambition, and would be a default "establishment" choice, coming from a large blue state. Other choices may include Brian Sandoval, Bill Brady, Bill Haslam, Scott Brown (provided he wins re-election and manages to continue walking the tightrope), and Rick Snyder.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies