Which Republican 2010 Candidates are Potential 2016 Contenders? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:42:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which Republican 2010 Candidates are Potential 2016 Contenders? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Republican 2010 Candidates are Potential 2016 Contenders?  (Read 6550 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 09, 2010, 07:07:53 AM »

Sitting governors so rarely run for president anymore.  Richardson was the only one who did it in either 2004 or 2008.  Daniels might do it in 2012, but he'd be in the last year of his second term.  Though I guess it's possible you could get someone like Romney....serve one term as governor, then opt out of a second term so you can focus on appealing to the GOP base and setting up a run for prez.  Not sure who that would be though.  Rick Snyder?  Bill Brady?

As for senators, Ayotte doesn't seem like the type to run for president after just one term.  Might be a contender for VP though.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »

Sitting governors so rarely run for president anymore.  Richardson was the only one who did it in either 2004 or 2008.  Daniels might do it in 2012, but he'd be in the last year of his second term.  Though I guess it's possible you could get someone like Romney....serve one term as governor, then opt out of a second term so you can focus on appealing to the GOP base and setting up a run for prez.  Not sure who that would be though.  Rick Snyder?  Bill Brady?

To be fair, Clinton and Bush Jr. ran for President as incumbent Governors. 1992 and 2000 was kinda recent.

Not "recent" as I'm defining them.  In the past two election cycles, the campaign has started earlier than ever before, with most candidates entering the race by January of the year before the election and primary debates being held in April of the year before the election.  Contrast that to 2000, when the debates didn't even begin until October.  It's tough to get sworn in for your second term as governor and then, two seconds later say "I'm going to spend the next two years running for president".  Much tougher now than it was when the "invisible primary" didn't last so long.  This isn't as big a deal for senators, since it's easier to be MIA as a senator.  Being MIA as a chief executive looks much worse.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies