Music Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:17:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Music Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 339435 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 07, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »

I used to be completely ignorant about music. I listened to virtually nothing that wasn't in a video game & could not begin to describe the differences between Abba & Black Sabbath. I really started getting into music when I was 16.

I was turned onto rock & folk by my mother, who was a big fan of the Rolling Stones & Bob Dylan back in the day. I learned about jazz from playing in my school's band class, which was instructed by a free jazz enthusiast. I began listening to country because my ex-girlfriend is a huge devotee of it. As for metal, I decided one day that I wanted to listen to something post-1975 & came across Metallica. I am also starting to get into classical now, particularly Wagner.

I do not have any genuine dislikes (besides Brokencyde), though I do admit to shy away from pretension in music. With that said, I don't really care about pretension if I find the music to be enjoyable enough.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A - I have a 47 minute long song on my iTunes Tongue
B - Define metal Smiley
A- if you play that don't expect me to be awake. Tongue
B- Things Pit likes, for example Metallica, etc. yuck!

So, thrash?  Or just loud, headbanging music?
Yes, both.

Berkeley hates you now.Tongue
[/quote]

HAHAHA i don't like them either. They took my ex. they cant be that great. UC Davis all the way. Wink[/quote]

Meh, Davis bores me.  The surrounding area is too....quiet.  But my aunt is a professor there so I guess I have to like it a little.

well it doesn't matter what it 'is' it should make me ears bleed and me cry for how horrid it is. who called this music anyways? My boss says it is a joke. and then people who take the joke seriously are not getting that it is a joke.

Geez, that's a lot of anger for some music.  Did something happen when you were little?  Were you traumatized by an electric guitar?Tongue
[/quote]
no, I actually have an electric guitar. Tongue But I was also born an opera baby so to me music has to flow and be smooth for me to think it is music. Also metal physically hurts my head.

As for Davis being 'boring' I love that. I am quite tired of the bust hustle of the city. I have always loved living in rural areas. I have preferred it to the city. But the suburbs is a good compromise if i ever have to.
[/quote]

Ah, all in upbringing I guess.  Metal used to give me headaches, but I warmed up to it by listening to songs that became heavier and heavier.

Well you've lived in SF for your life, I've lived in the East Bay Suburbs.  It bores me.  I mean, it's interesting from time to time, but other than the weekend getaway, I really can't see myself living in a rural area.  Although it has always made me wonder as to what would've happened if I grew up in such an environment.
[/quote]
wow. that was smart. never thought of that before.

and no i have moved most of my life. i have done the whole city, suburbs and rural.
[/quote]

That's what I did too (listening to metal, not moving Tongue). I remember that after I started listening to Metallica, I wanted to listen to other thrash metal bands, so I checked out Angel Of Death by Slayer. Needless to say, my ears were quickly routed by the intense sonic assault. I decided to try something else & checked out Skeletons Of Society, which I found quite listenable. Over time, I was then able to get into their heavier songs, as well as heavier bands.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 03:42:23 PM »

That's what I did too (listening to metal, not moving Tongue). I remember that after I started listening to Metallica, I wanted to listen to other thrash metal bands, so I checked out Angel Of Death by Slayer. Needless to say, my ears were quickly routed by the intense sonic assault. I decided to try something else & checked out Skeletons Of Society, which I found quite listenable. Over time, I was then able to get into their heavier songs, as well as heavier bands.

It also helps if you've heard heavier stuff already.  I heard Master of Puppets and Dream Theatre before I listened to No Leaf Clover, so it wasn't such a big deal.

Opeth though....hard to get past the Death Metal voice.

I've never listened to death metal much. I'd say Immolation is probably the heaviest death metal band I've found. Now, doom metal is where the heaviest stuff is. At least, if you know what bands to listen to.

B - Define metal Smiley

So, thrash?  Or just loud, headbanging music?
Yes, both.

HAHAHA i don't like them either. They took my ex. they cant be that great. UC Davis all the way. Wink

Meh, Davis bores me.  The surrounding area is too....quiet.  But my aunt is a professor there so I guess I have to like it a little.

well it doesn't matter what it 'is' it should make me ears bleed and me cry for how horrid it is. who called this music anyways? My boss says it is a joke. and then people who take the joke seriously are not getting that it is a joke.

Geez, that's a lot of anger for some music.  Did something happen when you were little?  Were you traumatized by an electric guitar?Tongue
[/quote]
no, I actually have an electric guitar. Tongue But I was also born an opera baby so to me music has to flow and be smooth for me to think it is music. Also metal physically hurts my head.

As for Davis being 'boring' I love that. I am quite tired of the bust hustle of the city. I have always loved living in rural areas. I have preferred it to the city. But the suburbs is a good compromise if i ever have to.
[/quote]

Ah, all in upbringing I guess.  Metal used to give me headaches, but I warmed up to it by listening to songs that became heavier and heavier.

Well you've lived in SF for your life, I've lived in the East Bay Suburbs.  It bores me.  I mean, it's interesting from time to time, but other than the weekend getaway, I really can't see myself living in a rural area.  Although it has always made me wonder as to what would've happened if I grew up in such an environment.
[/quote]

and no i have moved most of my life. i have done the whole city, suburbs and rural.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Oh ok. it still isn't music though. you know what is funny. my ears don't care when our fire alarm goes off but metal hurts like sh**t.
[/quote]

I can't stand fire alarms, they're so freaking loud. It's like having a Boris concert in your house.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »

It also helps if you've heard heavier stuff already.  I heard Master of Puppets and Dream Theatre before I listened to No Leaf Clover, so it wasn't such a big deal.

Opeth though....hard to get past the Death Metal voice.

I've never listened to death metal much. I'd say Immolation is probably the heaviest death metal band I've found. Now, doom metal is where the heaviest stuff is. At least, if you know what bands to listen to.

B - Define metal Smiley

So, thrash?  Or just loud, headbanging music?
Yes, both.

HAHAHA i don't like them either. They took my ex. they cant be that great. UC Davis all the way. Wink

Meh, Davis bores me.  The surrounding area is too....quiet.  But my aunt is a professor there so I guess I have to like it a little.

Geez, that's a lot of anger for some music.  Did something happen when you were little?  Were you traumatized by an electric guitar?Tongue

Ah, all in upbringing I guess.  Metal used to give me headaches, but I warmed up to it by listening to songs that became heavier and heavier.

Well you've lived in SF for your life, I've lived in the East Bay Suburbs.  It bores me.  I mean, it's interesting from time to time, but other than the weekend getaway, I really can't see myself living in a rural area.  Although it has always made me wonder as to what would've happened if I grew up in such an environment.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Oh ok. it still isn't music though. you know what is funny. my ears don't care when our fire alarm goes off but metal hurts like sh**t.
[/quote]

I can't stand fire alarms, they're so freaking loud. It's like having a Boris concert in your house.
[/quote]

I'd prefer to stay in my happy Prog/Thrash metal zone.Tongue  Opeth was enough of a stretch considering it's Prog Death Metal.

And yes, fire alarms suck.  It's not that they're loud, they're just...annoying...
[/quote]

Only prog metal band I really like is Mastodon. Even then, it took me months to be able to enjoy Leviathan or Blood Mountain. On the other hand, I liked Crack The Skye from the first time I heard it, though some of the songs on that album annoy the hell out of me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2010, 05:09:17 PM by Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker »

Only prog metal band I really like is Mastodon. Even then, it took me months to be able to enjoy Leviathan or Blood Mountain. On the other hand, I liked Crack The Skye from the first time I heard it, though some of the songs on that album annoy the hell out of me.

Porcupine Tree is good Prog band (they switch between metal and rock).  Some of my favourite songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTvsGkQdJc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1fRU2wX4Q

I checked out Fear Of A Blank Planet (the first 1:45, at least, since my computer is slow). I wouldn't consider it metal at all, though it's pretty good as far as prog rock goes. My ideal rock band would sound like AC/DC, but have the progressive song structures of early Queen (though I suppose that would inevitably be categorized as progressive metal). Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:33:33 AM »

That reminds me; I found S&M to be quite a dreadful album. I thought the orchestral arrangements ruined quite a few of their better songs (particularly Battery), the guitars were too quiet, & James Hetfield's vocals were terrible. The complete lack of songs from Kill 'Em All, such as The Four Horsemen or Seek And Destroy, is also quite troubling.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2010, 02:02:14 PM by Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker »

Muse are one of the most atrocious bands around at the moment.

Anyway, trying to steer the conversation away from metal for at least some of us Tongue What's you guys opinion of folk?

But there were five posts in a row that had nothing to do with metal right before my last post. Tongue

I like American Folk, particularly guys like Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, & Arlo Guthrie. The music itself is pretty boring, but the way those guys have with words really appeals to me. If they were poets, I would still be a big fan of theirs. Smiley

I do not have much experience with non-American folk, though I do have the album Santiago by the Irish folk band Chieftains, which is largely their take on Galician folk music, due to the historical tie between Ireland & Galicia. It's a pretty good album, particularly Pilgrimage To Santiago: Dum Paterfamilias / Ad Honorem, Galician Overture & Tears Of Stone. As a point of interest, those are also some of the least Latin-sounding songs on the album.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »

I like American Folk, particularly guys like Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, & Arlo Guthrie.

And Megadeath & Testament.    You do like a wide variety Wink

Cool new screen name by the way.   When does the  iT drop from your name Wink

I am, how shall I say, multi-dimensional in my tastes. Wink

In 11.5 years when I earn my Ph.D. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »

Muse are one of the most atrocious bands around at the moment.

Anyway, trying to steer the conversation away from metal for at least some of us Tongue What's you guys opinion of folk?

Folk's alright, I'm not too much into it though.  I find it boring to listen to though.  It's also hard for me to find out anything about foreign folk (or foreign anything in general).

That reminds me; I found S&M to be quite a dreadful album. I thought the orchestral arrangements ruined quite a few of their better songs (particularly Battery), the guitars were too quiet, & James Hetfield's vocals were terrible. The complete lack of songs from Kill 'Em All, such as The Four Horsemen or Seek And Destroy, is also quite troubling.

I didn't think it was that bad.  Sure, the arrangements were a little ****ed up but overall it turned out to be a listenable product.  Human and No Leaf Clover (the two written for the specific concert) are actually pretty good imo.

It wasn't horrible, I'll admit, but I didn't see any reason to listen to a messed-up live version of Battery or Master Of Puppets when one could listen to the studio versions of those songs. I suppose my complaints about S&M are emblematic of my more general distaste for live albums.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:15 PM »

John Zorn's pretty good. I do agree with King, though, that it seems more suited to a movie soundtrack.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 11:06:01 PM »

I'm sort of meh on progressive rock. Being able to play one's instrument well is very important to me, but I find a great deal of progressive rock to be too light to be really enjoyable. I'd usually rather have some meat & potatoes than a candy bar, if that makes sense. I recall enjoying Dark Side Of The Moon, though.... Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »

Metallica doesn't seem to be a serious band anymore. To be fair, I only listened to a combined total of four songs off those two albums. All Nightmare Long was the only one of those songs that was actually any good, faux badass title aside.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »

Unpopular Winston Disraeli Music Opinion .2 - A Tribute to Jack Johnson is better than Bitches Brew (Miles Davis)

I don't know anything about this tribute, though I actually find Bitches Brew to be kind of overrated. I prefer In A Silent Way, to be honest.

Metallica doesn't seem to be a serious band anymore. To be fair, I only listened to a combined total of four songs off those two albums. All Nightmare Long was the only one of those songs that was actually any good, faux badass title aside.

That seems to happen to groups that have been around for a while.  The quality of their music tends to decay.  That is, if they started out with good music.  Lady GaGa and other pop stars will always have bad music, because their music has never been good.

I think major record labels have something to do with it.

The labels have something to do with it yes.  Of course, that mostly goes into "we have to write music that will sell and make us rich/safe from bankruptcy". 

And yeah sure, groups that age tend to lose their artistic spirit as we've seen before, groups that age tend to turn more and more to pop.

Yeah, most bands age poorly. I'm trying to think of older bands that have released an album recently that really outclassed the rest of their discography. Some have had pretty good recent albums, but I don't know of any that have really matched the best of their older material.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »

That seems to happen to groups that have been around for a while.  The quality of their music tends to decay.  That is, if they started out with good music.  Lady GaGa and other pop stars will always have bad music, because their music has never been good.

I think major record labels have something to do with it.

The labels have something to do with it yes.  Of course, that mostly goes into "we have to write music that will sell and make us rich/safe from bankruptcy". 

And yeah sure, groups that age tend to lose their artistic spirit as we've seen before, groups that age tend to turn more and more to pop.

Yeah, most bands age poorly. I'm trying to think of older bands that have released an album recently that really outclassed the rest of their discography. Some have had pretty good recent albums, but I don't know of any that have really matched the best of their older material.

I would say that there are almost no bands that have aged over the years that have kept up to a high level of artistic quality (though the Foo Fighters, being 15 years old came out with a pretty damn good album in 07).  A lot of bands seemed to make comebacks around the late 00s though.

Nevertheless, of bands that stayed and aged (however they've broken up) and reached their artistic high point is probably the Beatles (mainly because they quit at their peak).  While other bands start artistic and turn to pop, the Beatles are the archetypal opposite of that (pop to, from what I could gather on Abbey Road and the White Album, a more complex, heavier, prog-like sound)

Yeah, it seems like rock bands usually either possess a coherent artistic vision from the start or they never possess one. Jazz groups seem to follow the opposite tack & become more experimental over time. There is strong stigma against this in metal, & you see humorous things, like Megadeth becoming more pop over the course of the 1990s & then returning to an older style in the early 2000s.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 01:07:25 AM »

There is strong stigma against this in metal, & you see humorous things, like Megadeth becoming more pop over the course of the 1990s & then returning to an older style in the early 2000s.

I think it's justified, certainly. Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Anthrax, Cryptopsy, all turned into commercial oriented bands, and the music definitely suffered.

On the other hand, a band like Gorguts cemented their legacy by going into a completely different direction, and rupturing eardrums by going more extreme than any death metal act before.

Well I don't think anybody ever innovated by becoming more commercially-oriented. The wider listening public prefers sounds & structures that are familiar. Doing the same old stuff as everyone else may get you more admirers, but it won't influence anyone. Metallica is much more popular than Slayer, but Slayer has probably had a far bigger impact on other metal bands.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:33:32 PM »

There is strong stigma against this in metal, & you see humorous things, like Megadeth becoming more pop over the course of the 1990s & then returning to an older style in the early 2000s.

I think it's justified, certainly. Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Anthrax, Cryptopsy, all turned into commercial oriented bands, and the music definitely suffered.

On the other hand, a band like Gorguts cemented their legacy by going into a completely different direction, and rupturing eardrums by going more extreme than any death metal act before.

Well I don't think anybody ever innovated by becoming more commercially-oriented. The wider listening public prefers sounds & structures that are familiar. Doing the same old stuff as everyone else may get you more admirers, but it won't influence anyone. Metallica is much more popular than Slayer, but Slayer has probably had a far bigger impact on other metal bands.

Nevertheless, in the future Megadeth and Metallica are probably going to influence bands more as they were in the mainstream.  Bands of the next generation tend to do such things, even if the past generation's bands sold out or turned to pop; they keep their reverence for said band and consequentially the band is given a better opinion through history.

But my point is that bands that go pop have less capacity to influence others because they aren't doing much that is different from anyone else (of course they might have innovated plenty prior to going pop; it really depends on the band).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2010, 10:46:43 PM by Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker »

I've only listened to Kind Of Blue & In A Silent Way off that list. They're both great albums, though I am not terribly familiar with Kind Of Blue.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 10:37:30 PM »

It took you that long to figure that out? Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2010, 08:42:21 PM by Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker »

I'm checking out the first track now. It sort of reminds me of The Gift by The Velvet Underground, what with the seven to eight minute length & the spoken word vocals laid over a dense thicket of instrumentation. Not bad, though not really my cup of tea either.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »

I just got the album Giant Steps. John Coltrane's ability as a saxophonist was frightening.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 09:34:04 PM »

I am slightly bored, so I decided to rank the Beatles albums from best to worst:

Abbey Road
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The White Album
Magical Mystery Tour
Let It Be
Beatles For Sale
Revolver
Help!
A Hard Day's Night
With The Beatles
Please Please Me
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 02:35:41 AM »

Now for CCR. This should be a somewhat easier list to make.

Cosmo's Factory
Green River
Willy And The Poorboys
Bayou Country
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Pendulum
Mardi Gras
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 03:27:18 PM »

Yeah, I only plan to do it for bands I've heard every album from, which means that the only one left is Slayer. That one will be very difficult, so I have to give it some thought first.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 02:08:26 PM »

Here it goes:

Reign In Blood
God Hates Us All
Seasons In The Abyss
World Painted Blood
South Of Heaven
Hell Awaits
Divine Intervention
Show No Mercy
Christ Illusion
Diabolus In Musica
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »

The only time I enjoyed Slayer was the sample from Angel of Death used in She Watch Channel Zero  by Public Enemy Tongue

What part of the song was it sampled from? I am guessing the lighter section from 1:39 to 3:35, largely because the rest of the song is too good to be sampled. Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies