Music Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Music Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 46
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 339862 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »
« edited: August 13, 2010, 02:02:14 PM by Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker »

Muse are one of the most atrocious bands around at the moment.

Anyway, trying to steer the conversation away from metal for at least some of us Tongue What's you guys opinion of folk?

But there were five posts in a row that had nothing to do with metal right before my last post. Tongue

I like American Folk, particularly guys like Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, & Arlo Guthrie. The music itself is pretty boring, but the way those guys have with words really appeals to me. If they were poets, I would still be a big fan of theirs. Smiley

I do not have much experience with non-American folk, though I do have the album Santiago by the Irish folk band Chieftains, which is largely their take on Galician folk music, due to the historical tie between Ireland & Galicia. It's a pretty good album, particularly Pilgrimage To Santiago: Dum Paterfamilias / Ad Honorem, Galician Overture & Tears Of Stone. As a point of interest, those are also some of the least Latin-sounding songs on the album.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »

I like American Folk, particularly guys like Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, & Arlo Guthrie.

And Megadeath & Testament.    You do like a wide variety Wink

Cool new screen name by the way.   When does the  iT drop from your name Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »

I like American Folk, particularly guys like Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, & Arlo Guthrie.

And Megadeath & Testament.    You do like a wide variety Wink

Cool new screen name by the way.   When does the  iT drop from your name Wink

I am, how shall I say, multi-dimensional in my tastes. Wink

In 11.5 years when I earn my Ph.D. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »

Oh sh**t I might be dead by then. Tongue

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »

Anyway, trying to steer the conversation away from metal for at least some of us Tongue What's you guys opinion of folk?

Folk's alright, I'm not too much into it though.  I find it boring to listen to though.  It's also hard for me to find out anything about foreign folk (or foreign anything in general).

That reminds me; I found S&M to be quite a dreadful album. I thought the orchestral arrangements ruined quite a few of their better songs (particularly Battery), the guitars were too quiet, & James Hetfield's vocals were terrible. The complete lack of songs from Kill 'Em All, such as The Four Horsemen or Seek And Destroy, is also quite troubling.

I didn't think it was that bad.  Sure, the arrangements were a little ****ed up but overall it turned out to be a listenable product.  Human and No Leaf Clover (the two written for the specific concert) are actually pretty good imo.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »

Folk's alright, I'm not too much into it though.  I find it boring to listen to though.  It's also hard for me to find out anything about foreign folk (or foreign anything in general).

That reminds me; I found S&M to be quite a dreadful album. I thought the orchestral arrangements ruined quite a few of their better songs (particularly Battery), the guitars were too quiet, & James Hetfield's vocals were terrible. The complete lack of songs from Kill 'Em All, such as The Four Horsemen or Seek And Destroy, is also quite troubling.

I didn't think it was that bad.  Sure, the arrangements were a little ****ed up but overall it turned out to be a listenable product.  Human and No Leaf Clover (the two written for the specific concert) are actually pretty good imo.

It wasn't horrible, I'll admit, but I didn't see any reason to listen to a messed-up live version of Battery or Master Of Puppets when one could listen to the studio versions of those songs. I suppose my complaints about S&M are emblematic of my more general distaste for live albums.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2010, 12:38:08 AM by MK ULTRA »

K.

I can think of a handful of artists way worse obviously. Wink
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 12:59:28 AM »

Wow, check out this trippy interactive video from Broken Bells (aka the lead singer from The Shins and Danger Mouse): http://www.brokenbells.com/october/

Pretty cool.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2010, 04:41:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Pftl5CUgs&feature=related

What do you think of this, guys?

I've been investigating 'punk jazz' lately Tongue
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Pftl5CUgs&feature=related

What do you think of this, guys?

I've been investigating 'punk jazz' lately Tongue

Sounds like it would make a good addition to a soundtrack.  Otherwise, I don't like to listen to songs that 7 minutes of random noises with no discernible melody casually.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:15 PM »

John Zorn's pretty good. I do agree with King, though, that it seems more suited to a movie soundtrack.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »

Would you have ever guessed that one of the vocalists in this band is a girl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrW81uQK4WM
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2010, 06:22:34 PM »

Would you have ever guessed that one of the vocalists in this band is a girl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrW81uQK4WM

Yeah, it's actually kind of obvious.Tongue

I think it's harder to tell this is a girl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOIGi7VTgzk
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2010, 01:02:07 AM »

My mind was totally blown upon discovering that Rites of Spring live footage exists on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf_ucq-NwTo
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2010, 05:59:56 AM »

My mind was totally blown upon discovering that Rites of Spring live footage exists on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf_ucq-NwTo

You seriously just figured this out? lol.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 02:48:38 AM »

I love this group's music:

http://www.last.fm/music/Dried+Out

Their songs are all free to download, though there seem to be some that haven't been uploaded yet.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 10:24:29 AM »

My $.02.  Prog rock is the greatest thing to ever happen to rock music and is truly one of the great art forms...

care to comment? 
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2010, 12:02:41 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2010, 12:06:52 PM by Northeast Representative Morgan »

My $.02.  Prog rock is the greatest thing to ever happen to rock music and is truly one of the great art forms...

care to comment?  

What the derp is "progressive rock"?  Musical genres make absolutely no sense.  I mean, I have yet to figure out what "industrial" is, and I'm not going to even bother figuring out what the derp "house" is supposed to be.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »

My $.02.  Prog rock is the greatest thing to ever happen to rock music and is truly one of the great art forms...

care to comment?  

What the derp is "progressive rock"?

Prog rock is pretty much "Look, I'm a smartass" rock.  Which makes it awesome.Cheesy
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »

care to comment?  

Prog rock is pretty much "Look, I'm a smartass" rock.  Which makes it awesome.Cheesy

Ah, hence progressive.

On the subject of musical genres, I hate how "indie" is taken to be some sort of style of music.  Indie music is music that is produced either independently, or by independent record labels.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »

care to comment?  

Ah, hence progressive.

On the subject of musical genres, I hate how "indie" is taken to be some sort of style of music.  Indie music is music that is produced either independently, or by independent record labels.

Well it's become a style of music because at the time most indie labels produced this poppy alternative-rock sound.  Thus, indie.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2010, 01:35:11 PM »

Prog rock is stuff like Pink Floyd. Long songs, lots of guitar solos etc. Tongue
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »

care to comment?  

Ah, hence progressive.

Well it's become a style of music because at the time most indie labels produced this poppy alternative-rock sound.  Thus, indie.

There's another derpy music genre name, alternative.  "Yeah, I listen to alternative."  Alternative to what?  That's the kind of thing one of those artsy people who make a big deal about being "non-conformist" would say they listen to.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »

care to comment?  

What the derp is "progressive rock"?  Musical genres make absolutely no sense.  I mean, I have yet to figure out what "industrial" is, and I'm not going to even bother figuring out what the derp "house" is supposed to be.

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good definition of progressive rock. 

Yes, early Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ELP, Jethro Tull, Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Coheed And Cambria and to an extent Muse are considered progressive rock bands.  It's all artsy, conceptual, long-winded, and often very difficult to play. 

Basically everything the early punks hated.... which makes it great, of course. 
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »

care to comment?  

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good definition of progressive rock. 

Yes, early Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ELP, Jethro Tull, Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Coheed And Cambria and to an extent Muse are considered progressive rock bands.  It's all artsy, conceptual, long-winded, and often very difficult to play. 

Basically everything the early punks hated.... which makes it great, of course. 

Well now Punks at least have a sense of recognition for such great music.Cheesy

care to comment?  

Ah, hence progressive.

There's another derpy music genre name, alternative.  "Yeah, I listen to alternative."  Alternative to what?  That's the kind of thing one of those artsy people who make a big deal about being "non-conformist" would say they listen to.

It used to be non-conformist, now it is conformist.Tongue

Name still applies though, it pretty much means mainstream now (well alternative to the real mainstream, which is post-grunge, pop, etc.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies