Music Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:04:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Music Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 339445 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »

This is the place for discussion of music, reviews of albums/EPs/singles, top album/EP/single/whatever lists, concert discussions, current events... everything except for polls and the song you're listening to right now, for which we already have a thread Tongue I will write up my first review soon.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2010, 12:44:49 PM by pretty girls and the burning men »

First off, it might be good if we discussed our music tastes in general.

I first got into music by listening to punk, believe it or not... old Sex Pistols, Ramones, X-Ray Spex etc. songs. From there my tastes panned outwards to include New Wave and other 80s music as well as classic and progressive rock later on when I started listening to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. I also went through a godawful phase of liking musichall. I know. Not good Tongue

Anyway, my current tastes are largely based on my own explorations rather than being based on my parents. My favourite genres of music are jazz, early indie, industrial, folk, grunge, art rock etc. Jazz especially is one of my recent acquisitions - both my parents hate it. In fact, all my relatives are either indifferent or hate it. My stepmum is the only exception to that. But I listened to Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and have been hooked ever since.

By indie, I mean the Smiths, the Stone Roses, Neutral Milk Hotel, Verve, Pulp, Oasis... all older bands. I cannot be doing with Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend etc. Tongue

My dislikes are country, metal, pop, gangsta rap and a lot of dance music (That said, I love bands such as Orbital and Leftfield)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »

I used to be completely ignorant about music. I listened to virtually nothing that wasn't in a video game & could not begin to describe the differences between Abba & Black Sabbath. I really started getting into music when I was 16.

I was turned onto rock & folk by my mother, who was a big fan of the Rolling Stones & Bob Dylan back in the day. I learned about jazz from playing in my school's band class, which was instructed by a free jazz enthusiast. I began listening to country because my ex-girlfriend is a huge devotee of it. As for metal, I decided one day that I wanted to listen to something post-1975 & came across Metallica. I am also starting to get into classical now, particularly Wagner.

I do not have any genuine dislikes (besides Brokencyde), though I do admit to shy away from pretension in music. With that said, I don't really care about pretension if I find the music to be enjoyable enough.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2010, 08:46:55 PM by HardJump »

Well I love love love country. I listen to it so much the when me and my mom go to a resturaunt and I order they ask am I visiting from the south. Tongue I love old fashioned songs like "end of the world" by Skeeter Davis or "Rose Garden" by Lynne Anderson the everly brothers etc. Then there is the newer country. Chris young, "game on", " Honky Tonk Badonkadonk"  and "Ladies love country boys"trace Atkins,"If you are going through hell" and "watching you and farmer daughter" Rodney Adkins. Reba McEntire, Carrie Underwood etc. Most of the greatest country songs are so morally bad. I of course can go on and on with country but I shall halt.

Then we hit Mo Town. The Shirelles, the Crystals and the four tops.  "Will you love me tomorrow", "Then he kissed me", and Lesley Gore. She is something. "It's my party" and the follow up song, "Its Judy's turn to cry" and a song with a tad of a movement going on, "You don't own me". And don't forget  "Be my baby" by the Ronettes.

And I adore Edith Piaf. I like "Milord" and "Non, je Ne Regrette Rien" There is also Charles Aznavour. I actually acquired him through my mom. "La Boheme" and "Emmenez-Moi" are my favorite.

Then there is anything in between. I really love any kind of song as long as it is not a) boring and it over 5 min generally. If it is over 5min I have to be doing something. B) it can not, CAN NOT be metal.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:44:02 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2010, 11:47:47 PM by You were once a gentleman »

This thread needs some Dudefest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWSaQ1phHZ8

My musical tastes consist of punk, indie and hardcore (and emo but that's kind of redundant since all emo falls into at least one of the three preceding categories.)
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 02:01:47 AM »

When I was younger, if it wasn't classical then it wasn't music.

Now I don't listen to much music at all. I've heard all that I've liked and I just prefer the silence.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 06:08:20 AM »

Stuff I've Discovered - 1:

I've been getting back into my grunge stuff lately and I've come to the conclusion that Nirvana are, while still being a great band, probably the worst of the grunge four (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden). Listening to Facelift by Alice in Chains and Superunknown by Soundgarden made me realise they're underrated compared to the other two. I think it may be due to the more metal based sound of both bands, especially AiC.

At the same time, I've been looking at some of the stuff by lesser known grunge bands. I downloaded Temple of the Dog's self-titled album and it was a pretty well made record - sort of like a less angsty Pearl Jam.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 11:49:21 AM »

And I adore Edith Piaf. I like "Milord" and "Non, je Ne Regrette Rien" There is also Charles Aznavour. I actually acquired him through my mom. "La Boheme" and "Emmenez-Moi" are my favorite.

You have interesting taste.  Have you ever listened to Charles Trenet?

As for myself I was first a fan of New Wave in my youth, then punk, then 'alternative', nowadays I also love disco and the stranger old hippy music.. and obviously those of you who visit the 'what are you listening to at the moment' thread know I love to explore non-Anglo-Saxon pop, rock, and jazz.. 

(to be honest I'm not sure I have the names of genres just right)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2010, 01:42:21 PM by Pacific Lt. Gov The Doctor »

Completely ignorant of music at one point in my life.  Not any longer.Cheesy

I actually got into rock when I watched Wrestling; it introduced me to rock songs I wouldn't normally have heard on lite rock radio.Tongue

Anyways, I was then exposed to post-grunge bands and the sort; not exactly great artists, but still good nonetheless.  Then, I was exposed to Lostprophets and via that, alternative rock.  Around this time, I also bought Rock Band and was amazed at the great songs on it that I hadn't even heard of.

Moving on with my newfound liking of alternative rock, I moved through several bands, Fuel, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Rise Against, the Offspring, and the list goes on and on.  Soon afterwards, I started to re-listen to the Beatles (from my younger years, I was aware of them but didn't really get into them later), and I loved their songs and delved a bit into classic rock.

Then, through a friend's recommendation, I listened to The Killers, Radiohead, then Muse, fascinated by the strange type of songs they put out.  Soon after, I heard "Happiness is a Warm Gun".  I loved the proto-prog structure it had and went with that, listening to Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, and Porcupine Tree (which became an instant favourite of mine).

Now, I write songs and am trying to form a band with my friend.  I play rhythm guitar and in charge of lyrics.  I'm more prog/alternative-leaning, while the other is more thrash/metal-leaning.

Oh, and when I discovered LPs, I was stoked and couldn't get enough.Cheesy

Current tastes include Alternative, Prog, Classic, Punk, Jazz (smooth and normal), some Pop, some Hip-Hop (this is pretty much Gorillaz and De La Soul territory).
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 01:46:35 PM »

Then there is anything in between. I really love any kind of song as long as it is not a) boring and it over 5 min generally. If it is over 5min I have to be doing something. B) it can not, CAN NOT be metal.

A - I have a 47 minute long song on my iTunes Tongue
B - Define metal Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »

I've been getting back into my grunge stuff lately and I've come to the conclusion that Nirvana are, while still being a great band, probably the worst of the grunge four (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden). Listening to Facelift by Alice in Chains and Superunknown by Soundgarden made me realise they're underrated compared to the other two. I think it may be due to the more metal based sound of both bands, especially AiC.

At the same time, I've been looking at some of the stuff by lesser known grunge bands. I downloaded Temple of the Dog's self-titled album and it was a pretty well made record - sort of like a less angsty Pearl Jam.

Nevertheless it all comes down to preference.  Honestly, if Kurt had lived and if they continued going the direction they were going, they would be regarded a lot more highly by the elitists.  And honestly, most of the time the only reason elitists hate is because the band is mainstream.Tongue

And I still prefer Nirvana to the other three.  About a Girl FTW.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 01:59:02 PM »

Nevertheless it all comes down to preference.  Honestly, if Kurt had lived and if they continued going the direction they were going, they would be regarded a lot more highly by the elitists.  And honestly, most of the time the only reason elitists hate is because the band is mainstream.Tongue

Well, if you look at where the other grunge bands have gone, I guess it becomes more clear where they would have headed. Pearl Jam these days are far more general alternative rock, and I'd say their last grunge album was Vitalogy. Soundgarden are far more metal than they used to be too. Alice in Chains I haven't really heard much of the stuff done recently in their new incarnation, but I doubt they'll ever quite match up to Layne Staley's AiC just because it was pure genius and grunge music at its rawest.

Nirvana certainly weren't mainstream, mind you. No band which did songs like tourette's and Territorial Pissings could be considered mainstream Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 02:05:11 PM »

Nevertheless it all comes down to preference.  Honestly, if Kurt had lived and if they continued going the direction they were going, they would be regarded a lot more highly by the elitists.  And honestly, most of the time the only reason elitists hate is because the band is mainstream.Tongue

Well, if you look at where the other grunge bands have gone, I guess it becomes more clear where they would have headed. Pearl Jam these days are far more general alternative rock, and I'd say their last grunge album was Vitalogy. Soundgarden are far more metal than they used to be too. Alice in Chains I haven't really heard much of the stuff done recently in their new incarnation, but I doubt they'll ever quite match up to Layne Staley's AiC just because it was pure genius and grunge music at its rawest.

Nirvana certainly weren't mainstream, mind you. No band which did songs like tourette's and Territorial Pissings could be considered mainstream Tongue

Tell that to the elitists.  At the time though, that was the in-thing to listen to.  I'm sad that we can't live through that kind of era now.

Plus I've never really considered Soundgarden grunge.  I always tough that were called Grunge just because they were associated with the Seattle Scene.  They're pretty much just metal.

Plus, grunge as a genre doesn't really exist, does it?  It's more of a fashion/way of performance.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »

B - Define metal Smiley
A- if you play that don't expect me to be awake. Tongue
B- Things Pit likes, for example Metallica, etc. yuck!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »

B - Define metal Smiley

So, thrash?  Or just loud, headbanging music?
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »

B - Define metal Smiley

Yes, both.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »

B - Define metal Smiley

Yes, both.

Berkeley hates you now.Tongue
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »

You have interesting taste.  Have you ever listened to Charles Trenet?

I have not, but i really like him. Smiley Thanks!!!

B - Define metal Smiley

Yes, both.

HAHAHA i don't like them either. They took my ex. they cant be that great. UC Davis all the way. Wink

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 02:43:55 PM »

Metallica have done two good songs, One and Enter Sandman. The rest of their stuff ranges from mediocre to appalling.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »

Metallica have done two good songs, One and Enter Sandman. The rest of their stuff ranges from mediocre to appalling.

well it doesn't matter what it 'is' it should make me ears bleed and me cry for how horrid it is. who called this music anyways? My boss says it is a joke. and then people who take the joke seriously are not getting that it is a joke.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

B - Define metal Smiley
[/quote]
[/quote]

So, thrash?  Or just loud, headbanging music?
[/quote]
Yes, both.
[/quote]

[/quote]

HAHAHA i don't like them either. They took my ex. they cant be that great. UC Davis all the way. Wink[/quote]

Meh, Davis bores me.  The surrounding area is too....quiet.  But my aunt is a professor there so I guess I have to like it a little.

You mainstream piece of crap.Tongue

well it doesn't matter what it 'is' it should make me ears bleed and me cry for how horrid it is. who called this music anyways? My boss says it is a joke. and then people who take the joke seriously are not getting that it is a joke.

Geez, that's a lot of anger for some music.  Did something happen when you were little?  Were you traumatized by an electric guitar?Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »

I'm not mainstream! I'M NOT MAINSTREAM!!!! *hides away and listens to Led Zeppelin* D'oh Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 02:56:47 PM »

I'm not mainstream! I'M NOT MAINSTREAM!!!! *hides away and listens to Led Zeppelin* D'oh Tongue

If that LZ song is anything off of LZIV, I've lost my respect for you.Tongue
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 03:06:07 PM »

B - Define metal Smiley
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes, both.
[/quote]

[/quote]

HAHAHA i don't like them either. They took my ex. they cant be that great. UC Davis all the way. Wink[/quote]

Meh, Davis bores me.  The surrounding area is too....quiet.  But my aunt is a professor there so I guess I have to like it a little.

Geez, that's a lot of anger for some music.  Did something happen when you were little?  Were you traumatized by an electric guitar?Tongue
[/quote]
no, I actually have an electric guitar. Tongue But I was also born an opera baby so to me music has to flow and be smooth for me to think it is music. Also metal physically hurts my head.

As for Davis being 'boring' I love that. I am quite tired of the bust hustle of the city. I have always loved living in rural areas. I have preferred it to the city. But the suburbs is a good compromise if i ever have to.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 03:17:34 PM »

B - Define metal Smiley

[/quote]
Yes, both.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Meh, Davis bores me.  The surrounding area is too....quiet.  But my aunt is a professor there so I guess I have to like it a little.

Geez, that's a lot of anger for some music.  Did something happen when you were little?  Were you traumatized by an electric guitar?Tongue
[/quote]
no, I actually have an electric guitar. Tongue But I was also born an opera baby so to me music has to flow and be smooth for me to think it is music. Also metal physically hurts my head.

As for Davis being 'boring' I love that. I am quite tired of the bust hustle of the city. I have always loved living in rural areas. I have preferred it to the city. But the suburbs is a good compromise if i ever have to.
[/quote]

Ah, all in upbringing I guess.  Metal used to give me headaches, but I warmed up to it by listening to songs that became heavier and heavier.

Well you've lived in SF for your life, I've lived in the East Bay Suburbs.  It bores me.  I mean, it's interesting from time to time, but other than the weekend getaway, I really can't see myself living in a rural area.  Although it has always made me wonder as to what would've happened if I grew up in such an environment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies