Social Thread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 01:26:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Social Thread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Author Topic: Social Thread!  (Read 31826 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »

Do you guys heat with wood or is it just for campfires/the occasional fire in the fireplace?  The house I grew up in (log house) had electric heat but the two huge fireplaces were the primary sources of heat during the coldest weather.  The only problem is that getting the wood, splitting it, and hauling it around is a crap load of work when you can just turn a knob and have instant heat.

We were on the "ripple" program so on the coldest days when demand was highest, all but a few essential heaters were shut off.. and we'd have to build fires in the fire places in 14 buildings.  Then my dad and grandpa got the grand idea that we should load a winter's worth of wood onto the decks during the fall rather than replenishing it all winter long.  Worst.  Week.  Of.  My.  Life.  We had to haul push carts overloaded with wood down steep hills to the cabins since the road didn't go to all of them...

And it's not like I got paid.. oh no.. I was free child labor.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2010, 11:04:05 PM by Lunar »

Do you guys heat with wood or is it just for campfires/the occasional fire in the fireplace?

Wood is cheaper than heating through the electric company.

Spent a couple hundred hours of my life stacking wood logs to be burned, I have.

My Dad has been, and always will be, deafly unaware of the concept that time = money, and hiring experts can be cheaper than doing things yourself.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 11:03:53 PM »

You're giving her a hyphenated name?

Yes, I am a feminist after all Tongue

I find giving a child a long hyphenated last name is just evil on them, forcing them to write out the whole shazam the whole time. I carry my mother's family name as my middle name instead.

To each their own, I guess. She certainly won't be raised in a way that she would think it's evil, though. She could rebel, though.

I don't think the kid would rebel and turn towards meaningless tradition, especially if you raise him or her to question those norms.  If the child is a girl, for example, and she has always used a hyphenated name, she may find it absurd, the notion that she'd have to take someone else's name and have children with a different name.

Well, you can always have that official last name but casually use one of them.  I had a friend who had a hyphenated last name.. Risch-Jansen... everybody just called him Risch... but Risch-Jansen isn't that long.  It'd be worse if it was like Oppenheimer-Bromenschenkel or something ridiculous like that.

That's how it works in the story I'm working on.  Everyone has a dual surname, but in casual usage, they typically just use the name of their same-sex parent.

I know people who drop one of their names too. In an ideal world, everyone would have a hyphenated name, and the girls would drop their father's half of the name upon marriage and the boy's their mother's. (so they don't get too long). If she asks what she should do upon marriage, I'll suggest dropping my name. That's just my solution anyways.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »

I find giving a child a long hyphenated last name is just evil on them, forcing them to write out the whole shazam the whole time. I carry my mother's family name as my middle name instead.

To each their own, I guess. She certainly won't be raised in a way that she would think it's evil, though. She could rebel, though.

I don't think the kid would rebel and turn towards meaningless tradition, especially if you raise him or her to question those norms.  If the child is a girl, for example, and she has always used a hyphenated name, she may find it absurd, the notion that she'd have to take someone else's name and have children with a different name.

Well, you can always have that official last name but casually use one of them.  I had a friend who had a hyphenated last name.. Risch-Jansen... everybody just called him Risch... but Risch-Jansen isn't that long.  It'd be worse if it was like Oppenheimer-Bromenschenkel or something ridiculous like that.

That's how it works in the story I'm working on.  Everyone has a dual surname, but in casual usage, they typically just use the name of their same-sex parent.

I know people who drop one of their names too. In an ideal world, everyone would have a hyphenated name, and the girls would drop their father's half of the name upon marriage and the boy's their mother's. (so they don't get too long). If she asks what she should do upon marriage, I'll suggest dropping my name. That's just my solution anyways.

That would have the same effect as the dual surname in the story I'm working on.  Everybody keeps their dual surname, and the child of a couple will inherit a name from each of his or her parents.  For example, your kid would have the surname [Your last name]-[Your girlfriend's last name].  If she (It's a girl?) has a child with someone else, that child will have your girlfriend's last name, as part of his or her dual surname.

I hope my attempt to explain the concept made sense...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »

How about you don't name your kid and thus truly stick it to our traditionalist society that is obsessed with giving people names!  Oh how when I have a kid I will just refer to him/her as "you".
That is what the truly radical among us would do it, I recommend you do the same, else you are no different than the traditionalist namers who dare give their kids first and last names!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:14 PM »

That would have the same effect as the dual surname in the story I'm working on.  Everybody keeps their dual surname, and the child of a couple will inherit a name from each of his or her parents.  For example, your kid would have the surname [Your last name]-[Your girlfriend's last name].  If she (It's a girl?) has a child with someone else, that child will have your girlfriend's last name, as part of his or her dual surname.

That's the way it should be imo, except the name order shouldn't necessarily be male-female. We're using Eisner-Washburn because it sounds better than Washburn-Eisner. If someone truly wants to make things neutral and not subjective, then they could always go by alphabetical order.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 11:40:21 PM »

How about you don't name your kid and thus truly stick it to our traditionalist society that is obsessed with giving people names!  Oh how when I have a kid I will just refer to him/her as "you".
That is what the truly radical among us would do it, I recommend you do the same, else you are no different than the traditionalist namers who dare give their kids first and last names!
"you" would still be a name. Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 11:42:58 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2010, 11:44:43 PM by Aaron Burr »

How about you don't name your kid and thus truly stick it to our traditionalist society that is obsessed with giving people names!  Oh how when I have a kid I will just refer to him/her as "you".
But it would be so much more hardcore and sticking it to the man than naming my kid some sh*t long name like "Benjamin Brett Andrews Anderson-Doyles".
Just "you", three letters, one word.  Simple, effective, no capitalized first letter, and most of all blow to the status quo.

Note: Hatman don't take this too seriously, Eisner-Washburn would be a pretty badass last name.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »

How about you don't name your kid and thus truly stick it to our traditionalist society that is obsessed with giving people names!  Oh how when I have a kid I will just refer to him/her as "you".
But it would be so much more hardcore and sticking it to the man than naming my kid some sh*t long name like "Benjamin Brett Andrews Anderson-Doyles".
Just "you", three letters, one word.  Simple, effective, no capitalized first letter, and most of all blow to the status quo.

Note: Hatman don't take this too seriously, Eisner-Washburn would be a pretty badass last name.
or you could just name him X.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 11:58:23 PM »

Well, you can always have that official last name but casually use one of them.  I had a friend who had a hyphenated last name.. Risch-Jansen... everybody just called him Risch... but Risch-Jansen isn't that long.  It'd be worse if it was like Oppenheimer-Bromenschenkel or something ridiculous like that.

That's how it works in the story I'm working on.  Everyone has a dual surname, but in casual usage, they typically just use the name of their same-sex parent.

That would have the same effect as the dual surname in the story I'm working on.  Everybody keeps their dual surname, and the child of a couple will inherit a name from each of his or her parents.  For example, your kid would have the surname [Your last name]-[Your girlfriend's last name].  If she (It's a girl?) has a child with someone else, that child will have your girlfriend's last name, as part of his or her dual surname.

That's the way it should be imo, except the name order shouldn't necessarily be male-female. We're using Eisner-Washburn because it sounds better than Washburn-Eisner. If someone truly wants to make things neutral and not subjective, then they could always go by alphabetical order.

In Shiani society (of the story I'm talking about) the surname inherited from an individual's same-sex parent traditionally comes first.  Though, the order can be different, based on, for example, sounding better.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2010, 01:15:19 AM »

Well, you can always have that official last name but casually use one of them.  I had a friend who had a hyphenated last name.. Risch-Jansen... everybody just called him Risch... but Risch-Jansen isn't that long.  It'd be worse if it was like Oppenheimer-Bromenschenkel or something ridiculous like that.

That's how it works in the story I'm working on.  Everyone has a dual surname, but in casual usage, they typically just use the name of their same-sex parent.

That would have the same effect as the dual surname in the story I'm working on.  Everybody keeps their dual surname, and the child of a couple will inherit a name from each of his or her parents.  For example, your kid would have the surname [Your last name]-[Your girlfriend's last name].  If she (It's a girl?) has a child with someone else, that child will have your girlfriend's last name, as part of his or her dual surname.

In Shiani society (of the story I'm talking about) the surname inherited from an individual's same-sex parent traditionally comes first.  Though, the order can be different, based on, for example, sounding better.

Ahh, but then you can siblings with different last names. Not desirable imo.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2010, 02:13:16 AM »

Ahh, but then you can siblings with different last names. Not desirable imo.

Well, in such a situation I'd imagine that they'd have names in the same order.  I'm in the process of constructing that society, so most of their culture isn't really set.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2010, 03:24:51 AM »

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2010, 06:33:44 AM »

My mother's maiden name is also my middle name, and I prefer that to being hyphenated.

However, the people I know with hyphenated names all use their father's name anyway.

My mother-in-law had no middle name, so she moved her maiden name to become her middle name upon marriage. My wife was given her mother's middle name along with her father's last name. That sets up a natural progression where the middle name is of matrilineal origin and the last name is of patrilineal origin. In principle the middle name can extend indefinitely from mother to daughter through the generations, much as a last name does from father to son. A daughter can choose to adopt a new last name at marriage and it doesn't disrupt the matrilineal name chain.

It's a rational way to include both genders of descent, so that's the model for both of my children. They each have their mother's middle name and father's last name. No hyphens needed, no lengthy list, just one name representing each side.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2010, 07:24:30 AM »

My mother used her maiden name as a middle name.  Though I have a cousin with his mother's middle name, mine is not.

Interestingly, my great grandfather had the Conklin, and was named, according to family tradition, for the doctor that delivered him in the 1870's.  One son was named after him, as a grandson, great grandson, and a great great grandson.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »

I just recieved my first penis extension spam email. Today is a proud day.

Amazing increase in thickness of your penis, up to 30$‏
 You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: 09 July 2010 13:30:31
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »

Thanks. It was unexpected, but you know... these things happen. This isn't actually news, since she's 7 months pregnant, but we didn't know until a few months ago (it's complicated).

is it gonna be a shot gun wedding?

Ironically, this will push wedding plans off to the distant future instead of within 2 years like previously envisioned. Weddings cost money; so do babies.
oh makes sense. Smiley never thought of that before. hmmm.
Not the kind of wedding I was at yesterday. Tongue Depends on what you want, I guess...

Anyways, congrats Earl! That's awesome! Cool (Poor baby, saddled with that father. My prenatal commiserations. Grin)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2010, 01:37:02 PM »

Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2010, 01:39:42 PM »

Thanks. It was unexpected, but you know... these things happen. This isn't actually news, since she's 7 months pregnant, but we didn't know until a few months ago (it's complicated).

Ironically, this will push wedding plans off to the distant future instead of within 2 years like previously envisioned. Weddings cost money; so do babies.
Not the kind of wedding I was at yesterday. Tongue Depends on what you want, I guess...

Anyways, congrats Earl! That's awesome! Cool (Poor baby, saddled with that father. My prenatal commiserations. Grin)

Well, all the planning and organizing of even a cheap wedding is too much work for us to worry about right now.

The big question though is whether she will grow up to vote NDP like her father or Green like her mother. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »

Anyways, I don't see what's wrong with Eisner as a standalone name or why you would want to saddle her with anything as preposterous as "Washburn".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2010, 01:44:31 PM »

Well, all the planning and organizing of even a cheap wedding is too much work for us to worry about right now.

The big question though is whether she will grow up to vote NDP like her father or Green like her mother. Wink
She can support the NDP in Canada and Greens in Europe; doesn't that sound like a deal? Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »

Anyways, I don't see what's wrong with Eisner as a standalone name or why you would want to saddle her with anything as preposterous as "Washburn".

Cheesy

I'm surprised you didn't point out Michael Eisner, the most famous one. But anyways, thanks for linking to a Wikipedia page I created and to a man I think may be one of my ancestors Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Works for me!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »

I'm surprised you didn't point out Michael Eisner, the most famous one.
Because I had never heard of him and wouldn't have considered him an advertisement for the name if I had... but Will and Kurt were both badass in their respective ways.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2010, 02:02:24 PM »

I'm surprised you didn't point out Michael Eisner, the most famous one.
Because I had never heard of him and wouldn't have considered him an advertisement for the name if I had... but Will and Kurt were both badass in their respective ways.

Ah, I guess I've been too Americanized. Interestingly, my girlfiend's brother's name is Michael. Tongue
Eisner is a pretty Jewish name, but not in this case.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2010, 03:36:31 PM »

The whole point of a hyphenated name is to abandon the misogynistic tradition of only the male's last name being passed on to the children.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies