Opinion of this quote about centralization of power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:17:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of this quote about centralization of power
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Freedom Quote (R)

Horrible Quote (R)

Freedom Quote (D)

Horrible Quote (D)

Freedom Quote (I/O)

Horrible Quote (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Opinion of this quote about centralization of power  (Read 2082 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
« edited: June 21, 2010, 07:09:40 PM by Senator Libertas »

"Government has become so vast and impersonal that its interests diverge more and more from the interests of ordinary citizens. For a generation and more, the government has sought to meet our needs by multiplying its bureaucracy. Washington has taken too much in taxes from Main Street, and Main Street has received too little in return. It is not necessary to centralize power to solve our problems."
--George McGovern
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:24:51 AM »

Ironic.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2010, 10:30:37 AM by Moderate Hero »

How did you vote?

Do you support centralization of power?
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »

sounds like something a physiocrat would say, but fortunately Adam Smith debunked the physiocrats.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:47:06 AM »

HQ, D.  Not only horrible but a stupid quote by a stupid man.  And by the way it wasn't about 'centralization of power' in the way you think it was - it it was about maximization of the centralization of power in the hands of the owning class, and making sure that the working class has no power.  So perhaps it was both sarcastic (if he was only pretending to be stupid) and ironic.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »

HQ, D.  Not only horrible but a stupid quote by a stupid man.  And by the way it wasn't about 'centralization of power' in the way you think it was - it it was about maximization of the centralization of power in the hands of the owning class, and making sure that the working class has no power.  So perhaps it was both sarcastic (if he was only pretending to be stupid) and ironic.

But do you agree with the core message of the quote rather than focusing on who said it?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:50:56 AM »

It depends how you define "centralized".
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »

But do you agree with the core message of the quote rather than focusing on who said it?

I think it is an alright quote,but on the other hand conservatives often centralize everything around one value. Thus what is the point of such a quote if the ideology only focus's one aspect?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »

When I say centralization, I mean the centralization of power in the hands of big government, with decisions being made by bureaucrats in the capital, rather than encouraging local control.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »

When I say centralization, I mean the centralization of power in the hands of big government, with decisions being made by bureaucrats in the capital, rather than encouraging local control.

so you would support community action programs that are government funded to encourage local control? seems reasonable, but state governments often get jelous when this happens.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 11:02:47 AM »

Hypocritical blather.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 11:04:21 AM »

No, obviously I don't, Libertas.  If you will read my carefully worded critique above you will see that I think his statement is a dishonest attempt to advocate a system in which power is in fact centralized, and most people are dis-empowered.  The man was a power-worshiping liar, he just wanted the power to be in the hands of the rich.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »

In that case, i support less centralization than we (by which i mean both the UK and the USA) currently have.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 11:35:49 AM »

In that case, i support less centralization than we (by which i mean both the UK and the USA) currently have.

And why is that? You like bureaucrats who live far away making your decisions for you?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »

It's entirely true, but a bit ironic considering who said it.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 02:48:52 AM »

No, obviously I don't, Libertas.  If you will read my carefully worded critique above you will see that I think his statement is a dishonest attempt to advocate a system in which power is in fact centralized, and most people are dis-empowered.  The man was a power-worshiping liar, he just wanted the power to be in the hands of the rich.

What if it was a liberal Democrat who said it?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 02:04:13 PM »

"Government has become so vast and impersonal that its interests diverge more and more from the interests of ordinary citizens. For a generation and more, the government has sought to meet our needs by multiplying its bureaucracy. Washington has taken too much in taxes from Main Street, and Main Street has received too little in return. It is not necessary to centralize power to solve our problems."

Libertas, that quote is right on. Keep the tentacles from Washington out of America's heartland.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »

HQ, D.  Not only horrible but a stupid quote by a stupid man.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »

Why is it a "stupid quote by a stupid man"?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »

Because it's always easy to say Government takes too much and gives too few, it's just basic populist rhetoric. The reality is that America has one of the lowest tax rates of western countries, and that the means the States has are nothing compared to what he would need in order to ensure basic equality and soical justice.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »

Because it's always easy to say Government takes too much and gives too few, it's just basic populist rhetoric. The reality is that America has one of the lowest tax rates of western countries, and that the means the States has are nothing compared to what he would need in order to ensure basic equality and soical justice.

So the centralized state needs to steal and waste more money in order to make you happy? Why do you get turned on by high taxes and big government?
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 05:36:23 PM »

So the centralized state needs to steal and waste more money in order to make you happy? Why do you get turned on by high taxes and big government?

why do you get a hard on repeating stupid rhetorical talking points that are beat as a dead horse. Arguing for empowering the wealth through terms that have no intrinsic values (i.e small government) gets old after awhile.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »

why do you get a hard on repeating stupid rhetorical talking points that are beat as a dead horse. Arguing for empowering the wealth through terms that have no intrinsic values (i.e small government) gets old after awhile.

why do you get a hard on repeating nonsensical gibberish I can't even decipher
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »

ever read edmund burke? I am still wondering what natural rights in the narrow sense means, but i am still able to get the gist, and tone of his message. Sometimes one must read not only between the lines but also connect spiritually with the text.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »

ever read edmund burke? I am still wondering what natural rights in the narrow sense means, but i am still able to get the gist, and tone of his message. Sometimes one must read not only between the lines but also connect spiritually with the text.
Alright, good, let me know when you get back to earth and we can get back to the thread topic.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies