Cheese
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:15:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Cheese
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Do you like it?  What's your favorite kind?
Yes, I like it, and I'd happily specify my favorite kind

No, I don't like it, cuz I hate America and puppies and babies.

I'm lactose intolerant because I am cursed and suck at life in general

I have an infection that smells like cheese.  Does that count?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 7831 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2010, 03:42:02 AM »

Disgusting, yet somehow delicious.  I think any true food connoisseur has room in his heart for squeezable or spreadable processed cheese food product.  The same can be said for Spam.  Dice up some spam and fry it til it browns a bit and then throw in some eggs and scramble them up and add some good shredded sharp cheddar and top with a little salt and pepper... it's not bad!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2010, 10:10:10 PM »

That can stuff is FF for crackers on occasion. To expensive to get it at the grocery store though every so often you see it at the dollar store.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »

Love it. I like just about any kind of cheese, but feta, brie, gorgonzola(any bleu cheese really), gouda, and pepper jack all make life worth living.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2010, 12:52:32 PM »

That can stuff is FF for crackers on occasion. To expensive to get it at the grocery store though every so often you see it at the dollar store.

Can't say I've ever priced cheese in a can, but it can't be that expensive. You're sounding like my Grandma.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »

Its like 4 bucks for a 8 oz can.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »

The Laughing Cow is a pretty good processed fake cheese spread.  It's French fake cheese, which makes it a legitimate forgery of cheese.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:01 PM »

Of the few European cheeses I've tried, I like (...) Brie. Although the last one is good you can't eat parts of it and its expensive, so I don't like buying it just to throw some out.
Wtf?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2010, 03:31:52 PM »

Disgusting, yet somehow delicious.  I think any true food connoisseur has room in his heart for squeezable or spreadable processed cheese food product.  The same can be said for Spam.  Dice up some spam and fry it til it browns a bit and then throw in some eggs and scramble them up and add some good shredded sharp cheddar and top with a little salt and pepper... it's not bad!

I do not like Cheese Whiz.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »

Of the few European cheeses I've tried, I like (...) Brie. Although the last one is good you can't eat parts of it and its expensive, so I don't like buying it just to throw some out.
Wtf?

Yes, I know, it's shocking.

The Laughing Cow is a pretty good processed fake cheese spread.  It's French fake cheese, which makes it a legitimate forgery of cheese.

Haha, La vache qui rit, became pretty famous here, but, that's a kid cheese, not for adults. Tongue. Didn't know it passed the borders. Well, sometimes, when nothing else, why not, but, hmm, too tart, and the consistency is kinda weird.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2010, 04:27:56 PM »

I wonder why so many snobs here always say american isn't real cheese. All it is is a form of english cheddar.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »

I wonder why so many snobs here always say american isn't real cheese. All it is is a form of english cheddar.

Because the term "American" is usually associated with processed cheese.  Any time I've seen non-processed American it usually gets labeled as a Colby.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2010, 05:24:37 PM »

Because the term "American" is usually associated with processed cheese.  Any time I've seen non-processed American it usually gets labeled as a Colby.
American isn't really a form of cheddar.  Originally, it was made from a blend of cheddar and colby, which is a similar cheese to cheddar invented in the U.S., but doesn't go through the cheddaring process.

Now American cheese refers to processed, sliced cheese that is not made like traditional cheese, but from a combination of whey, milk fat, proteins, salt, and other ingredients.  This is where the term "processed" comes from.

Here is a list of cheeses that are American in origin.  Many are similar to various European cheeses (such as Swiss being a catchall for nutty, holed cheese similar to Emmentaler or Bergenost being similar to Norwegian style butter cheese)

American cheese
Bergenost
Brick cheese
Colby cheese
Colby-Jack cheese
Cream cheese
Cup Cheese
Farmer cheese
Government cheese
Liederkranz cheese
Maytag Blue cheese
Monterey Jack
Muenster cheese
Pepperjack cheese
Kraft Singles
Pinconning cheese
Provel cheese
String cheese
Spray Cheez
Swiss cheese
Teleme cheese
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2010, 05:43:49 PM »

I still don't understand why folks here are so negative about it. Boars head and LOL are top notch. Maybe the word "processed" has taken up to much of a negative connotation as of late.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2010, 07:11:16 PM »

I still don't understand why folks here are so negative about it. Boars head and LOL are top notch. Maybe the word "processed" has taken up to much of a negative connotation as of late.

Probably because of that nasty Kraft shit everyone thinks is the pinnacle of American cheese.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2010, 07:21:23 PM »

I see your point and I refuse to buy that stuff.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »

$4 is expensive? Have you seen the prices of real cheese?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2010, 12:28:41 AM »

$4 is expensive? Have you seen the prices of real cheese?

Of course, but if I'm buying fake cheese I don't want to pay a lot for it, lol.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2010, 12:30:08 AM »

I agree with StatesRights.  I'd rather just order 4 tiny cheeseburgers from McDonalds to get my American cheese fix.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2010, 03:29:16 AM »

Wtf?

Yes, I know, it's shocking.

I've only had it on a few occasions, so don't get too upset Wink    The top and bottom layers seemed inedible at first. I'll know better next time.

I like Land O' Lakes. They don't make sliced brie to put on sandwiches, so my options are somewhat limited.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »

I made bacon cheeseburgers today - dip some cheddar in the bacon grease as the bacon is frying - oh, it was phenominal.  And the cheeseburgers were great.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2010, 02:49:16 AM »

You know I'm not a chauvinist at all.

But here, well, I can't really answer to all those posts with utterly disgusting references to some... things that aren't cheese at all Grin
Come on. The only real cheeses on Earth are from France or, for few of them, from Switzerland and Italy.

In fact, only UNpasteurized milk cheeses can be called cheeses.
Even in France, it's now difficult to keep them. This may be the only point (with wines) on which I'm not a European federalist Wink.

Now, all the Epoisses, the most amazing cheese you can taste (stinking, runny, strong !), are with pasteurized milk... Another heresy ! Sad

Imagine you can eat the Epoisses with a spoon Cheesy

Brie, Cantal, of course, you've referred to them. Brie from Meaux, of course (even though I've eaten too much of it in my 20s Grin), but also Brie from Melun, stronger.

But Rocamadour, Sainte-Maure-de-Touraine, Selles-sur-Cher, Valençay, even Chabichou and Picodon are all wonderful goat cheeses. Crottin and Cabri are more "modern" forms of goat cheese that are also very fine.
Rocamadour is my favourite:

And don't forget Saint-Nectaire, Reblochon, Fourme d'Ambert, Morbier, Tomme de Savoie ou du Jura.

And Comté, Beaufort, Bethmale, Ossau-Iraty (yeah, the Pyrenees are also good at making cheeses).

And, of course, UNpasteurized Camembert (more and more difficult to find, even in France... sigh...), Livarot, Pont-l'Evêque, Coulommiers.

Oh and Saint-Félicien and Saint-Marcellin !

It's 9 o'clock in the morning and I'm hungry...

Of course, Bordeaux wine is COMPULSORY with all those cheeses !
And REAL bread, not crackers, bread for burger, industrial bread, or whatever... My Godness...
And no butter, please...

When I see that 80% of bottles of some great Bordeaux wines go to American countries or to Japan or China, it's awful to just think about it: wines DON'T like at all being carried by plane or by boat. And after that, they are drunk in bad glasses, with inaccurate shape, at bad temperatures (too low or too high) and with the wrong meals.
JAMAIS SUR UN METS SUCRE was written on some old French bottles. But it was before Bordeaux castles wanted to make big money... Sigh...

And don't put Champagne in this discussion. This is not a wine. This is a commercial products like Barbie dolls or iPhone. Disgusting.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2010, 03:03:15 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2010, 03:04:51 AM by Snowguy716 »

France and sometimes Switzerland or Italy?

You say nothing of the Nordic countries or Belgium or the Netherlands.. or Germany or England...

Stilton and cheddar are two of the best kinds of cheeses on earth.  Just because England doesn't have a boat load of world famous cheese doesn't mean anything... they make a few kinds really really really well.  That's what matters.

Though my experience with French cheese is rather limited... I really don't like the taste of the mould on brie.  It has a terrible texture and it tastes like musty drywall.  I think it's an abomination not to eat it just because if it didn't have some strong social faux pas connected to not eating it, nobody actually would eat it.  Unless you like musty flavored drywall.  

But really bigbadfab, you are really limiting yourself by pretending that only France makes good cheese.  But that certainly isn't just you.  The French are probably the only people in the world who limit themselves more in their experiences than Americans out of some unnecessarily stubborn pride of where they're from.  (Though the English certainly aren't innocent.  That's what makes the old French-English rivalry so cute.  It's like a competition on who can sound more nasally when they talk.)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2010, 03:06:44 AM »

States:  Are you talking about this stuff?

I guess I don't remember how it tastes.  Certainly better than Velveeta or kraft singles.

Oh, and for all you haughty orange cheese haters, it comes in natural white too.  Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2010, 03:14:52 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2010, 03:18:24 AM by dead0man »

Cheese only works for me with other foods, and even then, I only like the "mild" stuff.  American, swiss, mild chedder...velveeta Smiley

edit-and I see cheese elitists are as annoying as any other kind of elitist Smiley  though I think beer elitists have you beat (a lot of crossover I'm guessing).  Still look like nuns compared to audiophiles though.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2010, 04:12:34 AM »

France and sometimes Switzerland or Italy?

You say nothing of the Nordic countries or Belgium or the Netherlands.. or Germany or England...

Stilton and cheddar are two of the best kinds of cheeses on earth.  Just because England doesn't have a boat load of world famous cheese doesn't mean anything... they make a few kinds really really really well.  That's what matters.

Though my experience with French cheese is rather limited... I really don't like the taste of the mould on brie.  It has a terrible texture and it tastes like musty drywall.  I think it's an abomination not to eat it just because if it didn't have some strong social faux pas connected to not eating it, nobody actually would eat it.  Unless you like musty flavored drywall.  

But really bigbadfab, you are really limiting yourself by pretending that only France makes good cheese.  But that certainly isn't just you.  The French are probably the only people in the world who limit themselves more in their experiences than Americans out of some unnecessarily stubborn pride of where they're from.  (Though the English certainly aren't innocent.  That's what makes the old French-English rivalry so cute.  It's like a competition on who can sound more nasally when they talk.)

Basically, every cheese made with pasteurized milk isn't a cheese Wink
That's why Netherlands isn't a cheese country, neither Britain, nor Germany. Of course there are some real cheeses (in Black Forest or in Bavaria), but that's the exception.
I like cheddar, parmiggiano, etc..., of course, but they aren't cheeses.
Even Gouda and Mimolette can come until my plate... Why not ? But they aren't real cheeses.
They are some industrial products based on milk.

"Musty drywall" for Brie ?
Oh, it's impossible, but how funny it would be to make you all taste Epoisses !! Cheesy
Many of you would probably vomit on the spot !

We don't know each other well as we aren't on the same threads.
Those who know me would tell you I'm not (AT ALL, Antonio V would say Wink) a typical French...
But on cheese, wines and bread, well, after having tried many things (believe me), there is no possible comparison.

But taste is also a question of education and habits.

There is a song by Jo Dassin (Billy le Bordelais) that says
Car le bon vin de Saint-Emilion, ça vous donne un coeur de lion, à condition d'en mettre dans les biberons
something like that:
"as Saint-Emilion good wine gives you a lion's heart, provided you put it in feeding bottles"

And also: ton sang est fait de vin bien plus qu'il ne l'est d'eau
"your blood is made of wine, far more than of water"

Cheesy
Bon appétit !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies