Cut Wasteful Military Spending!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:34:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Cut Wasteful Military Spending!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: The U.S. military budget should be
Dramatically reduced

Slightly reduced

Kept the same

Slightly increased

Dramatically increased

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Cut Wasteful Military Spending!  (Read 7503 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 11:13:30 PM »

Option 1
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »

Option 1, but only after we are well out of the recession. Don't want to lay off people now.

Uh, one reason we are in recession is because we waste so much damn money on government boondoggles like the "Defense" department.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 06:17:34 PM »

Option 1, but only after we are well out of the recession. Don't want to lay off people now.

You don't necessarily have to lay people off to decrease large chunks of Military Spending.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:10 PM »

Dramatically reduced.

When people talk about waste in government, the DoD should be a prime example.

Happy Memorial Day to you too.

Yes, today we remember all the innocent lives ruined and destroyed thanks to the U.S. government and its long history of senseless warmongering.

You're politicizing their deaths.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 02:43:40 AM »

Somewhat torn. If military spending is reduced I would prefer it to be a draw down from overseas bases instead of any cuts to R&D.

I mean without military spending there might not be an internet to host this forum.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 02:45:56 AM »

Dramatically reduced.

Yes, today we remember all the innocent lives ruined and destroyed thanks to the U.S. government and its long history of senseless warmongering.

And you're trying to use their deaths as a rationale for a bloated military budget.

How about we double to education budget to commemorate the Columbine shooting?  Or bring in socialized health care to honor those who died of cancer this year?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 05:01:01 AM »

I'm saddened that nobody has mentioned that we should cut ALL "wasteful" spending, military or otherwise.  Of course we should cut wasteful military spending....it's wasteful.

I wonder what the numbers would be if we questioned if we should cut wasteful educational spending.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 05:32:56 AM »

I'm saddened that nobody has mentioned that we should cut ALL "wasteful" spending, military or otherwise.  Of course we should cut wasteful military spending....it's wasteful.

I wonder what the numbers would be if we questioned if we should cut wasteful educational spending.

I guess the reason is that 'wasteful' is subjective.  Leaving that aside, probably a majority of this forum would prefer a much smaller military as a policy choice, just to reduce the amount of abuse to which we subject the world.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 05:47:43 AM »

Or maybe we could start voting for people not as keen on pissing off the world.  Remember, the military doesn't get to pick where we go kill brown people at, Democrats and Republicans get together and figure it all out.  I'm proudly 0 for 5 in Presidential elections and one of the main reasons for that is because I don't think we should have troops all over the world.  I'd be willing to bet this "majority" of the forum you speak of that wants a smaller military as a policy choice can't say the same and have proudly pulled the lever for Obama, Kerry or Bush.

But I understand it's easier to swallow when you can just blame the evil military and don't blame yourselves for electing these war hungry asshats.  Lets not vote out the people sending us there, lets just tell them we want the military to do a worse job when we send them around the world to kill brown people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 06:01:29 AM »

Its like the gun control argument - sure, one 'blames' the guy weilding it, not the gun, but the fact remains if he didn't have the gun his destructiveness would be enormously blunted.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »

So lets not fix our atittude, lets just nerf us!  That can't possibly lead to anything bad.  On the bright side, I guess we'd deserve it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 07:10:10 AM »

So lets not fix our atittude, lets just nerf us!  That can't possibly lead to anything bad.  On the bright side, I guess we'd deserve it.

haha, like castrating a serial rapist.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 10:08:18 PM »

Yes, we should cut all wasteful spending. But military spending is by far the greatest offender.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 03:16:13 AM »

Are your clothes from Sept.10, 2001 as well?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 05:28:09 AM »

Do you need a trillion dollar army goose stepping around the streets to make you feel safe?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »

Dramatically reduced.

Politicizing their deaths is using it as an excuse to push your political agenda of a huge military and interventionist foreign policy.  That's politicizing their deaths.  Saying things like, "don't you care about those people who died?" so you can guilt people into accepting your politics.  That's politicizing their deaths.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 11:27:51 PM »

Do you need a trillion dollar army goose stepping around the streets to make you feel safe?

Not on my street but it could do us some good in Compton City.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »

Its like the gun control argument - sure, one 'blames' the guy weilding it, not the gun, but the fact remains if he didn't have the gun his destructiveness would be enormously blunted.

Or one blames gun control for a victim not having a gun in self defense. Sure the murderer fired a gun he knew how to get illegally, but it really wasn't the murderer or the murderer's gun that stopped the victim from defending himself. It was the anti-American gun control law that violated or second amendment.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2010, 11:37:10 PM »

Dramatically reduced.

Politicizing their deaths is using it as an excuse to push your political agenda of a huge military and interventionist foreign policy.  That's politicizing their deaths.  Saying things like, "don't you care about those people who died?" so you can guilt people into accepting your politics.  That's politicizing their deaths.

Have you adopted support for a non-interventionist foreign policy? Cheesy
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2010, 11:49:30 PM »

Dramatically reduced.

Me? That would work except for it's too late.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2010, 11:50:40 PM »

Dramatically reduced.

I was about to sort-of ask the same question.  Haven't heard him use the word "interventionist" before.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 12:04:53 AM »

Dramatically reduced.

I was talking to fezzy. You've made it clear that you do not support a conservative foreign policy.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2010, 01:11:09 AM »

Dramatically reduced.

I was talking to fezzy. You've made it clear that you do not support a conservative foreign policy.

Are you the same person as Senator Libertas? I support a foreign policy where we have a Federations United or F.U. This would only include nations that had free elections.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2010, 01:49:19 AM »

Dramatically reduced.

It's not so much that I'm non-interventionist as I am not interventionist.  I'm not opposed to the idea of alliances and strong foreign trade relations, but I'm not big on forcing our way on others or using international power to gain more support by force.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2010, 01:53:22 AM »

Dramatically reduced.

It's not so much that I'm non-interventionist as I am not interventionist.  I'm not opposed to the idea of alliances and strong foreign trade relations, but I'm not big on forcing our way on others or using international power to gain more support by force.

Trade relations are compatible with a non-interventionist foreign policy.

The basic principles of a non-interventionist foreign policy are the old Jeffersonian dictum:
"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations – entangling alliances with none."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies