Rand Paul Wants To Abolish The Americans With Disabilities Act!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:03:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rand Paul Wants To Abolish The Americans With Disabilities Act!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Author Topic: Rand Paul Wants To Abolish The Americans With Disabilities Act!  (Read 30957 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »

Given the rarity of disabled people, it was not really bad business to discriminate. Losing one customer out of 100 was not going to change your bottom line. This was especially true when bigotry against the disabled was strong enough that refusing to allow the disabled in might increase your abled customers (a little more applicable to race, ethnic origin, gender and sexual orientation there, though).

This is actually critically important point to remember in many other things in relation to the market and why protections are necessary for many things. Those that act as if the free market can correct itself rests on the leap of faith that people would react badly to abuses by businesses and thus it's a self-correcting system.

This may be true in a larger sense, where if thousands upon thousands of people are directly harmed by a business, people might turn their backs on them, but when one person here and there is discriminated against or harmed by a business, people don't take notice, especially if it's an often overlooked segment of society; it's a much different situation that will not correct itself, it must be corrected by another force.

This applies to things like discrimination laws, but it's perfectly applicable for things like safety regulations or labeling laws as well.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2010, 05:40:48 PM »

He was interviewd on NPR this afternoon. They asked him if he'd support the 1964 Civil Rights Act. He evaded that question as hard as he could.
Interviewer: Would you have supported the Civil Rights Act if you were in Congress in 1964?
Paul: I'm against racism and would have been marching with Martin Luther King.
Interviewer: So you'd support the Civil Rights Act?
Paul: Well, it was passed so long ago that I haven't even read it....
Interviewer: So you don't know if you'd support the Civil Rights Act?
Paul: I'm against racism
Interviewer: Thanks for your time.

Good job not falling for that obvious bait.
If by bait you mean answering a simple question plainly. I doubt you'd find any member of Congress, Democrat or Republican, who couldn't answer that question. Hell, even the old-timers who were against it in 1964 can now plainly say that they now support the law. Why can't Paul?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 05:41:48 PM »

He was interviewd on NPR this afternoon. They asked him if he'd support the 1964 Civil Rights Act. He evaded that question as hard as he could.
Interviewer: Would you have supported the Civil Rights Act if you were in Congress in 1964?

If by bait you mean answering a simple question plainly. I doubt you'd find any member of Congress, Democrat or Republican, who couldn't answer that question. Hell, even the old-timers who were against it in 1964 can now plainly say that they now support the law. Why can't Paul?

Because Paul has principles. Those other people don't.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »

Do those principles include opposing civil rights?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 05:45:38 PM »

Good job not falling for that obvious bait ducking that question.

Particularly as if Paul answered it honestly the answer would've been politically quite embarrassing, even in KY.

It's one thing to have a single congressman in an overwhelmingly conservative district and who is widely considered a fringe eccentric (Paul Sr.), but actively supporting a senate candidate that supports repeal of the Civil Rights Act would prove problematic for national GOP figures and the Party itself. Wouldn't help in black, Latino and other minority voter outreach, plus trying to convince moderate whites the Republican Party isn't a haven for racists.

So Paul "would've marched with King" if he was old enough? Unlikely considering King, Lewis and others were specifically marching in support of federal laws against desegregation.

I wonder if he would've been able to invite King to his country club for a victory celebration?

BTW, Grumps, this isn't my specialized area of law, but I'm familiar enough with the ADA and its history to say Verily summed it up quite well.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »

He's going to have to answer the question sooner or later. It's not going away. Further evasion is only going to make it look like he doesn't know what he wants.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 05:46:49 PM »

Do those principles include opposing civil rights?

Nope, they don't.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »

Ok, you've said it. Why can't Paul?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010, 05:52:27 PM »

Long live the state's rights, right? Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »

Then why can't he come out in favor of the Civil Rights Act?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 05:55:33 PM »

Because he doesn't support ineffective, authoritarian, centralizing, anti-freedom legislation?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »

Opposing the Civil Rights Act ≠ opposing civil rights.  If he had answered that he doesn't support the act, that would have been jumped on as a sound bite, ignoring whatever justification he may have.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »

ITT: Implying that opposing an unconstitutional bill means you hate disabled people.

Yes, that what dixiecrats used to say. "No, I don't hate nigras, just state's rights, constitution, liberty..."
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »

ITT: Implying that opposing an unconstitutional bill means you hate disabled people.

Yes, that what dixiecrats used to say. "No, I don't hate nigras, just state's rights, constitution, liberty..."

And you would know this because you fantasize about being one?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2010, 05:59:05 PM »

Because he doesn't support ineffective, authoritarian, centralizing, anti-freedom legislation?

Care to explain what's ineffective about the act?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »

Dixiecrats used state's rights as a cop-out for their own racism.  People like Rand and Ron genuinely believe in the Constitution (Well, only sort-of for Drug War-supporting Rand).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2010, 06:00:31 PM »

Quite true, really. No one actually said they were racist freaks, they hid that behind the issue of the day.

This is a ridiculous situation. Does anyone here have a clue what large sections of the country were like pre-Civil Rights Act? This is another one of those issues where the law is opposed simply because it's a law. It's a highly unrealistic fantastical utopianistic mindset that doesn't care about the effects of the law whether they're positive or not. It's the fact that it's a law that they oppose, consequences be damned.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »

This is a ridiculous situation. Does anyone here have a clue what large sections of the country were like pre-Civil Rights Act? This is another one of those issues where the law is opposed simply because it's a law. It's a highly unrealistic fantastical utopianistic mindset that doesn't care about the effects of the law whether they're positive or not. It's the fact that it's a law that they oppose, consequences be damned.

Roll Eyes
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2010, 06:02:15 PM »

Fine. Then come out against the act. Again, the question's not going to go away until he answers it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2010, 06:02:24 PM »

Would you please actually contribute something to this discussion instead of the entirety of your responses being "NO I SUPPORT FREEDOM. FREEDOM FREEDOM FREEDOM. FREEDOM FREEDOM. LIBERTY FREEDOM. LIBERTY. YOU'RE WRONG."?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »

You can't force people to respect the civil rights of others at federal gunpoint. Federal "civil rights" legislation has only increased racial tension and strife and increased centralized power over everyone's lives.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »

Fail to adress the truth.

When you can't make a point, you're going personal. Typical.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:22 PM »

You can't force people to respect the civil rights of others at federal gunpoint. Federal "civil rights" legislation has only increased racial tension and strife and increased centralized power over everyone's lives.

Sounds great in theory.....but what negative consequences do you feel the Civil Rights Act have caused in REALITY? Do you seriously believe conditions for racial minorities are worse as a result?

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2010, 06:08:08 PM »

Most of the South was never ever going to get over their racial issues and stop discriminating and suppressing minority vote unless forced to. It might've stopped on their own, decades and decades down the road, without them being forced, but certain areas would still be discriminating and legislating against minorities (mainly because state legislatures still actually are doing this).

To pretend that the South would've magically gotten over their racial problems in insanity and any proof to that effect is anecdotal at best.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2010, 06:08:17 PM »

You can't force people to respect the civil rights of others at federal gunpoint.

Actually, yes, you can. Why do you think Eisenhower sent troops to Little Rock?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies