Rand Paul Wants To Abolish The Americans With Disabilities Act!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:17:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rand Paul Wants To Abolish The Americans With Disabilities Act!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: Rand Paul Wants To Abolish The Americans With Disabilities Act!  (Read 30792 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:00:15 AM »
« edited: May 19, 2010, 09:04:38 AM by HoffmanJohn »

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/17/rand-paul-ada/

U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul (R-KY), a darling of the tea party movement, has gained notoriety for his extreme views and close relationships with fringe leaders like Alex Jones. Part of Paul’s appeal has been his supposed support of individuals over large interests, like the government. But Paul appeared to reveal his true priorities during an interview with the candidate in Lexington over the weekend.

Paul was asked whether he supports the Americans with Disabilities Act, the landmark 1990 legislation that established a prohibition of discrimination on the basis of disability. Paul said he advocates local governments to decide whether disabled individuals deserve rights. Requiring businesses to provide access to disabled people, Paul argued, isn’t “fair to the business owner.” Later in the interview, when asked if he believes Americans have a right to use the 2nd Amendment to violently overthrow the government, a Paul staffer physically intercepted the recording and shuffled Paul away:

PAUL: You know a lot of things on employment ought to be done locally. You know, people finding out right or wrong locally. You know, some of the things, for example we can come up with common sense solutions — like for example if you have a three story building and you have someone apply for a job, you get them a job on the first floor if they’re in a wheelchair as supposed to making the person who owns the business put an elevator in, you know what I mean? So things like that aren’t fair to the business owner. [...]

Q: Do you think Americans, based on the 2nd Amendment, do you think they have a Constitutional right to violently overthrow the government?

PAUL STAFFER: Alright, we’ll have to stop recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l7A8VBrqa8
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:03:16 AM »

why don't libertarians, state right fundamentalists, small government people target such acts as the CRA,Anti-trust laws, Americans with Disabilities Act, income tax, corporate tax,  but never something like the Taft–Hartley Act?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »

Q: Do you think Americans, based on the 2nd Amendment, do you think they have a Constitutional right to violently overthrow the government?

Yeah, I'd have ended the interview there, regardless of who my candidate was or what I thought the answer would be.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:34:33 AM »

I always get called a liar when I tell people on this site that Ron Paul has absolutist policies on the scope of government and foreign policy.  If Ron Paul became President you would see the elination of the CIA, FDA, IRS, FBI, NSA, etc.  He would let the world burn before he intervened in a foreign war.  He didn't beleive in fighting World War 1 or 2, and he agreed with the South's Secession in the Civil War.   He would eliminate all social aid like food stamps.  

Now we see that his son also shares the same absolutist views.  There is no compromise on the constitution according to Rand Paul.  None.  
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »

I always get called a liar when I tell people on this site that Ron Paul has absolutist policies on the scope of government and foreign policy.  If Ron Paul became President you would see the elination of the CIA, FDA, IRS, FBI, NSA, etc.  He would let the world burn before he intervened in a foreign war.  He didn't beleive in fighting World War 1 or 2, and he agreed with the South's Secession in the Civil War.   He would eliminate all social aid like food stamps.  

Now we see that his son also shares the same absolutist views.  There is no compromise on the constitution according to Rand Paul.  None.  

Ron Paul opposed the Iraq war and the patriot act,but so did david duke. Thus even a broken clock can be right twice a day.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »

Ron Paul opposed the Iraq war and the patriot act,but so did david duke. Thus even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

And Nazi Germany was the first government to enact a public smoking ban.  I guess we should whip out the ashtrays!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »

Yeah, I'd have ended the interview there, regardless of who my candidate was or what I thought the answer would be.

Uh, I wouldn't. That should be considered an softball question with an easy answer that wouldn't piss off anyone but the militia freemen types.

Unless one's candidate is actually barking mad, of course.....
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »

How horrible, the idea that the U.S. government might spend it's resources on the American people, rather than acting as the world's nanny and treating the American people as the beasts of burden for the entire world.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:14:51 AM »

That's a liberty according to Paul followers: if you don't have a money, you can go eat s**t and die. Because helping you is wrong.

Viva la liberte!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »

Of course he does. It doesn't reflect well on him, but he's made no attempt to hide what he is.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »

Sounds like a good start.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »

wouldn't piss off anyone but the militia freemen types.

Yes, and remember, this is Kentucky.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »

How horrible, the idea that the U.S. government might spend it's resources on the American people, rather than acting as the world's nanny and treating the American people as the beasts of burden for the entire world.

To what degree does Paul support cutting the actual budget on military spending as opposed to the relatively minute amount spent on foreign aid (both military and humanitarian)? I think from what I've read he seems to support significant cuts as he supports near-immediate withdrawl from Iraq and Afghanistan plus closing most or all of our overseas bases, actions which would obviously necessitate major cuts in military spending.

I'm genuinely interested to know how much of his isolationist foriegn policy involves reducing the size and cost of the military vs. near-absolute opposition to diplomatic inititives (the UN, NATO, etc.).
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »

OMG freedom, how scary!!!1

Roll Eyes
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »

Rand Paul is a voice for all Americans this year who want true change.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »

I don't think we should participate in foreign aid until we have a balanced budget and its our money to deal.  I can understand deficit spending, but taking out a loan to donate to charity doesn't make much sense.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »

No, defining "freedom" as being able to legally discriminate against the disabled---that's scary.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »

No, defining "freedom" as being able to legally discriminate against the disabled---that's scary.

That is the definition of freedom. You people want to re-define it to mean something other than true freedom.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »

That is the definition of freedom. You people want to re-define it to mean something other than true freedom.

So 'true freedom' is the right to discriminate against the disabled without fear of penalty. Fascinating.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »

No, defining "freedom" as being able to legally discriminate against the disabled---that's

Misguided.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »

Libertas is right, Joseph Goebbels was a tea party patriot.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 12:12:14 PM »

The really awful part about this race is that the press is spinning it as a national referendum on the tea party. It's a GOP primary in Kentucky Roll Eyes
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »

The really awful part about this race is that the press is spinning it as a national referendum on the tea party. It's a GOP primary in Kentucky Roll Eyes

To replace JIM BUNNING at that.... Heck, Paul is a leftward shift from the incumbent.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »

Woah, Paul's a nutjob?

*not exactly stunned*
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »

That's a liberty according to Paul followers: if you don't have a money, you can go eat s**t and die. Because helping you is wrong.

Viva la liberte!

What if some Paul followers like the taste of sh*t?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies