Detroit to destroy former home of Mitt Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 03:45:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Detroit to destroy former home of Mitt Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Detroit to destroy former home of Mitt Romney  (Read 3195 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2010, 01:32:48 PM »

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/109551/detroit-shrinks-itself-historic-homes-and-all?mod=realestate-homeimprove

From the second last paragraph...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am convinced that Romney is running now....
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »

Yes I'm afraid that area will never learn that it's actually the democrats' policies of government intrusion into the economy that is causing high unemployment and other problems in that city. The answer isn't more of the same. The answer is change and by change that means reversing their economic policies. Look at Michigan and compare it to how well Texas is doing. I'm laughing at those in the situation up in Michigan because they are getting what they deserver. Now don't you wish you would have voted Republican?
Poundingtherock
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 05:52:36 PM »

Does anyone care?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »

I am convinced that Romney is running now....

Uh, you weren't before?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »

Yea he's going to run. Any runner up from the primaries usually runs the next time. Look at John Edwards, John McCain, Bob Dole, Al Gore, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Jesse Jackson, even Hillary Clinton in 2016.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:58:07 PM »

Yea he's going to run. Any runner up from the primaries usually runs the next time. Look at John Edwards, John McCain, Bob Dole, Al Gore, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Jesse Jackson, even Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Plus Howard Dean, Wes Clark, Al Sharpton, Joe Lieberman, Dick Gephardt, and Bob Graham, who all ran in 2008.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »

Yes I'm afraid that area will never learn that it's actually the democrats' policies of government intrusion into the economy that is causing high unemployment and other problems in that city. The answer isn't more of the same. The answer is change and by change that means reversing their economic policies. Look at Michigan and compare it to how well Texas is doing. I'm laughing at those in the situation up in Michigan because they are getting what they deserver. Now don't you wish you would have voted Republican?

Actually is the product life cycle that destroyed Detroit. GM and Ford weren't going to have 90% of the market share for ever and foreign manufacturers began offering better cars at lower prices and stole market share from the auto companies.

The issue became one of not encouraging diversification like say Pittsburgh had. Now the pulling of the rug out from underneath Detroit (auto industry) brought every other problem to the fore and magnified it including White flight, entrenched educational establishment that prefers the failing status quo to actually helping the kids, crime and lack of support and encouragement for small business and industries other then autos have created a mess on display for all to see.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 09:15:57 PM »

Plus Howard Dean, Wes Clark, Al Sharpton, Joe Lieberman, Dick Gephardt, and Bob Graham, who all ran in 2008.

No they didn't and they weren't runner ups. I'll clarify myself by runner up I meant second place.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 12:55:14 AM »

How have "liberal social policies" turned it "hollow"? I remember when Mitt Romney was a social liberal, good times.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 04:45:23 AM »

Not realy relevant, but I thought that I might mention that Prop 13 killed Compton.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »

You are wrong. Since you seem to know so much about political leadership and its effect on the economy, I'm sure you wouldn't mind providing a nuanced description of how Democratic policies have led to a nearly 15% unemployment rate in Michigan. And before you get into "Granmole made a mess LOL," let me remind you that we had 12 years of Republican leadership leading up to Granholm--former Gov. Engler's hands aren't clean, either. On top of this, our State Senate is Republican controlled.

And the idea that residents of the state of Michigan somehow deserve to see record job losses and foreclosure rates simply because the state has a Cook PVI of D+5 is downright insulting. You know, it's not just Democrats losing their jobs...everybody is having a tough time. We've been experiencing brain drain for the past five years. The GM plant closures in the past couple of years have really put a strain on local governments. Before you start drawing comparisons between Michigan and states like Texas, you should really know what you are talking about. One has nothing to do with the other.

Actually is the product life cycle that destroyed Detroit. GM and Ford weren't going to have 90% of the market share for ever and foreign manufacturers began offering better cars at lower prices and stole market share from the auto companies.

The issue became one of not encouraging diversification like say Pittsburgh had. Now the pulling of the rug out from underneath Detroit (auto industry) brought every other problem to the fore and magnified it including White flight, entrenched educational establishment that prefers the failing status quo to actually helping the kids, crime and lack of support and encouragement for small business and industries other then autos have created a mess on display for all to see.

Actually...this is fairly accurate. Good job.
perdedor

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »

Liberal social policies? lol. Remember when Mitt Romney's gubernatorial campaign handed out pink flyers at gay parades declaring his support for the GLBT community?
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »

Romney is supportive of the GLBT, he has to say what he needs to say in order to get the job to do what needs to be done. Like Cheney, his real feelings will come out later.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »

You are wrong. Since you seem to know so much about political leadership and its effect on the economy, I'm sure you wouldn't mind providing a nuanced description of how Democratic policies have led to a nearly 15% unemployment rate in Michigan. And before you get into "Granmole made a mess LOL," let me remind you that we had 12 years of Republican leadership leading up to Granholm--former Gov. Engler's hands aren't clean, either. On top of this, our State Senate is Republican controlled.

And the idea that residents of the state of Michigan somehow deserve to see record job losses and foreclosure rates simply because the state has a Cook PVI of D+5 is downright insulting. You know, it's not just Democrats losing their jobs...everybody is having a tough time. We've been experiencing brain drain for the past five years. The GM plant closures in the past couple of years have really put a strain on local governments. Before you start drawing comparisons between Michigan and states like Texas, you should really know what you are talking about. One has nothing to do with the other.

They do deserve it for their stupid voting records. Mitt Romney changed for the better but I'd still be uncomfortable with him as the GOP nominee. If you lose your job, go get another one. Moving in order to find work is the same thing our ancestors did to find food when we lived in caves. Life was alot tougher back then and they didn't have anyone saying "vote for me and you'll have a job." Get over it and move on. Stop playing your sob song because it's not working on me.
DariusNJ

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:26:58 PM »

They do deserve it for their stupid voting records.

Disgusting.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »

They do deserve it for their stupid voting records. Mitt Romney changed for the better but I'd still be uncomfortable with him as the GOP nominee. If you lose your job, go get another one. Moving in order to find work is the same thing our ancestors did to find food when we lived in caves. Life was alot tougher back then and they didn't have anyone saying "vote for me and you'll have a job." Get over it and move on. Stop playing your sob song because it's not working on me.

Um...there are so many problems with this I'm only going to discuss one of them.

People did leave Detroit once the jobs left....Hence the thread name...Hence the deserted city...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 07:57:05 PM »

I'm amazed this thread has gone so far with no mention of white flight, which is by far Detroit's biggest problem. I'm not saying Macomb and Oakland (which together have a population more than twice Detroit's) are in perfect shape, but they're pretty stable metro areas. Detroit's woes are just as much a response to local issues as they are to national and international ones.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »

It was just in the wrong location. Around here, it could be in a sh**tty neighborhood, and it would probably still be worth 7 digits.
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 12:08:21 AM »

I'm amazed this thread has gone so far with no mention of white flight, which is by far Detroit's biggest problem. I'm not saying Macomb and Oakland (which together have a population more than twice Detroit's) are in perfect shape, but they're pretty stable metro areas. Detroit's woes are just as much a response to local issues as they are to national and international ones.

White flight was mentioned.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »

It was just in the wrong location. Around here, it could be in a sh**tty neighborhood, and it would probably still be worth 7 digits.

Not every property in the Bay Area is worth a million dollars. Here's a nice slum property for you:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1740-11Th-St_Oakland_CA_94607_1115467753

Still, point taken. Overpopulation's a bitch.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:48 AM »

Growing up in Baltimore, I know the face of white flight. It's meant the complete deprivation of some classic neighborhoods. There's a strip of houses along Harford Road (a very major road in Baltimore and the County) which has some incredibly nice houses architecturally. They were owned by middle and upper middle class whites mostly, much like those who live in Guilford/Roland Park/Homeland today. However as the poor black folks began to move in the neighborhoods around Lake Monticello (same area) the white folks dipped out. Now you have a row of houses that are horribly delapitated. It's not because they're black, it's because you had a neighborhood go from being one way and completely changing. It's the same in Detroit. White middle class leaves and the poor black class steps in without any economic means of betterment.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 11:06:12 AM »

Everyone in that town would've been better off implementing Reagan's policies rather than FDR's. I know it's too complex for the other side to see but it's true.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 03:48:21 PM »

Detroit went downhill because of:

1. The disappearance of the automobile from the "commanding heights" of industry.  As late as the 1950s one in every four jobs was linked to the auto industry. Such is unsustainable in the view of other activities.

2. Local corruption. Detroit has had some bad political leadership.

3. Bad schools. The Detroit Independent School Board has been extremely corrupt -- and wasteful of educational funds. If I were in charge, the first thing I would do is to bring in some independent auditors. I'd drastically cut all expenditures not related to in-school activities. Travel and entertainment costs would plummet. If anything, instead of sending school administrators to conferences in resort areas I would have them go to places in rural Michigan where educational achievements are good.

4. Poor law enforcement. Detroit has become infamous as a "good place in which to dump a body". Crooks in places like Pittsburgh and Indianapolis know that it is far wiser to drop off a dead body in Detroit rather than let it be found in their home towns. Sometime they might simply take the doomed person to Detroit so that they can avoid the attention of law enforcement where they have an "inconvenient" person. Poor law enforcement, whether brutal or lax, causes great harm to a city.

Multitudes have left Detritus, Michigan -- so they have done much of what you suggest. It's because nobody can say "vote for me and you will have a job". Politicians can't offer industrial jobs in anything other than a "socialist" economy of the Soviet type. In such places the vote is a sure thing for obvious reasons.

Get a soul. 
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »

Detroit went downhill because of:

1. The disappearance of the automobile from the "commanding heights" of industry.  As late as the 1950s one in every four jobs was linked to the auto industry. Such is unsustainable in the view of other activities.

2. Local corruption. Detroit has had some bad political leadership.

3. Bad schools. The Detroit Independent School Board has been extremely corrupt -- and wasteful of educational funds. If I were in charge, the first thing I would do is to bring in some independent auditors. I'd drastically cut all expenditures not related to in-school activities. Travel and entertainment costs would plummet. If anything, instead of sending school administrators to conferences in resort areas I would have them go to places in rural Michigan where educational achievements are good.

4. Poor law enforcement. Detroit has become infamous as a "good place in which to dump a body". Crooks in places like Pittsburgh and Indianapolis know that it is far wiser to drop off a dead body in Detroit rather than let it be found in their home towns. Sometime they might simply take the doomed person to Detroit so that they can avoid the attention of law enforcement where they have an "inconvenient" person. Poor law enforcement, whether brutal or lax, causes great harm to a city.

Multitudes have left Detritus, Michigan -- so they have done much of what you suggest. It's because nobody can say "vote for me and you will have a job". Politicians can't offer industrial jobs in anything other than a "socialist" economy of the Soviet type. In such places the vote is a sure thing for obvious reasons.

Get a soul. 

Yes corruption that would've been by the democrats in a city like that. I'm not saying only democrats are corrupt, but in that city if you're in office you're a democrat. Politicians can make promises, but that doesn't mean that they keep them in terms of making it sound like everyone will have a job. Law enforcement is an issue that Republicans are known to be good with. It sounds like the parents should have had a say in where their kids go to school.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 09:40:13 PM »

Not every property in the Bay Area is worth a million dollars. Here's a nice slum property for you:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1740-11Th-St_Oakland_CA_94607_1115467753

Still, point taken. Overpopulation's a bitch.

Not 5000 square feet. And yes, that's in a pretty sh**tty neighborhood.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies