Detroit to destroy former home of Mitt Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:39:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Detroit to destroy former home of Mitt Romney
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Detroit to destroy former home of Mitt Romney  (Read 3184 times)
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 12:24:54 AM »
« edited: May 19, 2010, 12:59:18 AM by Lafayette53 »

It was just in the wrong location. Around here, it could be in a sh**tty neighborhood, and it would probably still be worth 7 digits.

Not every property in the Bay Area is worth a million dollars. Here's a nice slum property for you:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1740-11Th-St_Oakland_CA_94607_1115467753

Still, point taken. Overpopulation's a bitch.

Not 5000 square feet. And yes, that's in a pretty sh**tty neighborhood.

Don't even get me started on Oakland's home-brewed brand of mismanagement.

Interestingly enough I believe Oakland was nicknamed "the Detroit of the West" at one point before both cities fortunes began to deteriorate.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »

Cities are bad places to live and rural areas are much safer. The ppl are friendlier too.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:04 PM »

Cities are bad places to live and rural areas are much safer. The ppl are friendlier too.

Rural America is also deathly-dull. People are just as paranoid as they are in the Big City. Rural America has a meth epidemic as nasty as the heroin epidemic was in the 1970s.

The cost of government services in rural areas is lower -- the roads aren't as expensive, and public servants -- cops, fire fighters, and teachers, largely -- don't have to be paid as much as if they live in big cities.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 09:33:04 AM »

Yes I'm afraid that area will never learn that it's actually the democrats' policies of government intrusion into the economy that is causing high unemployment and other problems in that city. The answer isn't more of the same. The answer is change and by change that means reversing their economic policies. Look at Michigan and compare it to how well Texas is doing. I'm laughing at those in the situation up in Michigan because they are getting what they deserver. Now don't you wish you would have voted Republican?

You are wrong. Since you seem to know so much about political leadership and its effect on the economy, I'm sure you wouldn't mind providing a nuanced description of how Democratic policies have led to a nearly 15% unemployment rate in Michigan. And before you get into "Granmole made a mess LOL," let me remind you that we had 12 years of Republican leadership leading up to Granholm--former Gov. Engler's hands aren't clean, either. On top of this, our State Senate is Republican controlled.

And the idea that residents of the state of Michigan somehow deserve to see record job losses and foreclosure rates simply because the state has a Cook PVI of D+5 is downright insulting. You know, it's not just Democrats losing their jobs...everybody is having a tough time. We've been experiencing brain drain for the past five years. The GM plant closures in the past couple of years have really put a strain on local governments. Before you start drawing comparisons between Michigan and states like Texas, you should really know what you are talking about. One has nothing to do with the other.

Actually is the product life cycle that destroyed Detroit. GM and Ford weren't going to have 90% of the market share for ever and foreign manufacturers began offering better cars at lower prices and stole market share from the auto companies.

The issue became one of not encouraging diversification like say Pittsburgh had. Now the pulling of the rug out from underneath Detroit (auto industry) brought every other problem to the fore and magnified it including White flight, entrenched educational establishment that prefers the failing status quo to actually helping the kids, crime and lack of support and encouragement for small business and industries other then autos have created a mess on display for all to see.

Actually...this is fairly accurate. Good job.

They do deserve it for their stupid voting records. Mitt Romney changed for the better but I'd still be uncomfortable with him as the GOP nominee. If you lose your job, go get another one. Moving in order to find work is the same thing our ancestors did to find food when we lived in caves. Life was alot tougher back then and they didn't have anyone saying "vote for me and you'll have a job." Get over it and move on. Stop playing your sob song because it's not working on me.

ANTI-AMERICAN!!!!

Michigan is a great state, my best friend is from Michigan, you sir are no friend of Michigan. Tongue

Michigan voted for Reagan twice and for Bush 41. Michigan had a 9-6 Republican delegation in the House from 2002 to 2008. Michigan had a Conservative Republican Governor from 1990-2002, and a Republican majority in both houses of the state Legislature from 1994-2006. Its a swing state and one the GOP should be trying to peel off, not disrespect into oblivion.

Detroit could use some political competition. The Unions could be knocked down a peg or two but MI as a state has switched back and forth for years and is very competative. Its problems are much larger then "liberal social policies". Thankfully I know the real Romney, and the real Romney knows much better what is wrong with Michigan.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »

Rural America is also deathly-dull. People are just as paranoid as they are in the Big City. Rural America has a meth epidemic as nasty as the heroin epidemic was in the 1970s.

The cost of government services in rural areas is lower -- the roads aren't as expensive, and public servants -- cops, fire fighters, and teachers, largely -- don't have to be paid as much as if they live in big cities.

The heroin problem isn't true and everything else you mentioned sounds like paradise.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »

Yes I'm afraid that area will never learn that it's actually the democrats' policies of government intrusion into the economy that is causing high unemployment and other problems in that city. The answer isn't more of the same. The answer is change and by change that means reversing their economic policies. Look at Michigan and compare it to how well Texas is doing. I'm laughing at those in the situation up in Michigan because they are getting what they deserver. Now don't you wish you would have voted Republican?

You are wrong. Since you seem to know so much about political leadership and its effect on the economy, I'm sure you wouldn't mind providing a nuanced description of how Democratic policies have led to a nearly 15% unemployment rate in Michigan. And before you get into "Granmole made a mess LOL," let me remind you that we had 12 years of Republican leadership leading up to Granholm--former Gov. Engler's hands aren't clean, either. On top of this, our State Senate is Republican controlled.

And the idea that residents of the state of Michigan somehow deserve to see record job losses and foreclosure rates simply because the state has a Cook PVI of D+5 is downright insulting. You know, it's not just Democrats losing their jobs...everybody is having a tough time. We've been experiencing brain drain for the past five years. The GM plant closures in the past couple of years have really put a strain on local governments. Before you start drawing comparisons between Michigan and states like Texas, you should really know what you are talking about. One has nothing to do with the other.

Actually is the product life cycle that destroyed Detroit. GM and Ford weren't going to have 90% of the market share for ever and foreign manufacturers began offering better cars at lower prices and stole market share from the auto companies.

The issue became one of not encouraging diversification like say Pittsburgh had. Now the pulling of the rug out from underneath Detroit (auto industry) brought every other problem to the fore and magnified it including White flight, entrenched educational establishment that prefers the failing status quo to actually helping the kids, crime and lack of support and encouragement for small business and industries other then autos have created a mess on display for all to see.

They do deserve it for their stupid voting records. Mitt Romney changed for the better but I'd still be uncomfortable with him as the GOP nominee. If you lose your job, go get another one. Moving in order to find work is the same thing our ancestors did to find food when we lived in caves. Life was alot tougher back then and they didn't have anyone saying "vote for me and you'll have a job." Get over it and move on. Stop playing your sob song because it's not working on me.

ANTI-AMERICAN!!!!

Michigan is a great state, my best friend is from Michigan, you sir are no friend of Michigan. Tongue

Michigan voted for Reagan twice and for Bush 41. Michigan had a 9-6 Republican delegation in the House from 2002 to 2008. Michigan had a Conservative Republican Governor from 1990-2002, and a Republican majority in both houses of the state Legislature from 1994-2006. Its a swing state and one the GOP should be trying to peel off, not disrespect into oblivion.

Detroit could use some political competition. The Unions could be knocked down a peg or two but MI as a state has switched back and forth for years and is very competative. Its problems are much larger then "liberal social policies". Thankfully I know the real Romney, and the real Romney knows much better what is wrong with Michigan.

Good for your friend. Yes and everyone voted for Reagan twice and Bush 41 the first time. It's always been the unions that have run that state's economic policies and the factory jobs there don't all exist anymore. Since 1988 Michigan hasn't gone GOP and that was over 20 years ago. It's also liberal economic policies which give more power to unions.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »

ANTI-AMERICAN!!!!

Good for your friend. Yes and everyone voted for Reagan twice and Bush 41 the first time. It's always been the unions that have run that state's economic policies and the factory jobs there don't all exist anymore. Since 1988 Michigan hasn't gone GOP and that was over 20 years ago. It's also liberal economic policies which give more power to unions.
I would like to introduce you to the state of Minnesota. Tongue

Agree to an extent but you can't deny economic trends and purchasing habits had an impact. People wanted something different and Detroit wasn't providing it at the time. Its not all the unions fault.

Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 11:48:11 PM »

ANTI-AMERICAN!!!!

Agree to an extent but you can't deny economic trends and purchasing habits had an impact. People wanted something different and Detroit wasn't providing it at the time. Its not all the unions fault.

It's not all the unions. Trends and wanting change also, but mostly unions. As for Minnesota, I think you know what I mean by everybody lol.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »

ANTI-AMERICAN!!!!

Populations only last so long so yes not entirely the unions, but to a great extent. As for Minnesota lol I think you know what I meant.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 12:31:20 AM »

Michigan has heavily relied upon automobile manufacturing for employment and high incomes from auto workers for tax revenues. Of course adapting to harsh reality is never easy. Tell Michiganders that to get Texas' economic conditions that they will need to have a 10% sales tax applicable even to food and major reductions in government services so that the state can quit collecting income taxes, and they will reject the advice.

Michigan demographics strongly favor Democrats now. The state has proportionally more blacks than any other northern state, so that makes Michigan more D than either Minnesota or Wisconsin now.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »

Michigan has heavily relied upon automobile manufacturing for employment and high incomes from auto workers for tax revenues. Of course adapting to harsh reality is never easy. Tell Michiganders that to get Texas' economic conditions that they will need to have a 10% sales tax applicable even to food and major reductions in government services so that the state can quit collecting income taxes, and they will reject the advice.

Michigan demographics strongly favor Democrats now. The state has proportionally more blacks than any other northern state, so that makes Michigan more D than either Minnesota or Wisconsin now.

More D than Minnesota and Wisconsin yes. As for your ramble on 10% sales tax on food in Texas. How about you ask Texas if they like their economy and that will speak for the "tax." The American car industry is failing because auto unions demand such high wages that the costs of cars are much more than what the cars are worth. Yes there are foreign cars that cost more but they are worth more too. Your economy is what you get for relying on the rich for taxes and income redistribution.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 03:52:10 AM »

Noboby is giving a s**t about Mitt old home.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 05:08:46 PM »

And if it were your home?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 05:08:46 PM »

You would if it were your home.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »

Agreed. Why is this thread still ongoing?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 07:04:59 PM »

I  mentioned this when the article was published in a thread about Detroit. It is sad - but necessary.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »

I don't usually post on this forum but as I far as I understand it the way to win the Republican Nomination is to say as much downright offensive things as possible.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies