1848: Polk runs for Re-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:58:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1848: Polk runs for Re-election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: When should the Civil war occur in this timeline
in the 1850's

in the 1860's

Later on

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: 1848: Polk runs for Re-election  (Read 10538 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »

Here is my second attempt at a timeline. Maybe it will be better understood.

December  26th,1847: Despite earlier promising to not run for reelection, President James K. Polk has decided to run again following all of the successes of his administration.

December 31st, 1847: Vice President Dallas has also decided to run again as the VP.

January 1st 1848: Popular General Zachary Taylor releases a statement to the media declining to run for the nomination as the Whig candidate for president. This sends shock waves to the Whig establishment, which denies one of their favorites to win.

May 22nd, 1848: President Polk and Vice President Dallas are re-nominated at the 1848 Democratic Convention.

June 7, 1848: At the Whig convention, it took 3 ballots to determine the winner. The frontrunners were Daniel Webster, and General Winfield Scott.

After the third ballot was ordered by the panel, Daniel Webster took the lead and won the nomination. For his Vice Presidential nominee, he chooses Senator John M. Clayton of Delaware.

June 14th, 1848: The Free-Soil party nominates former President Martin Van Buren, and Charles F. Adams as his VP.

The Campaign

The Democrats were costing to re-election due to overwhelming support for President Polk. The Whig party split over their stance about slavery. Because of all this, the Whigs lost a lot of votes to the free soil party because of their pro-slavery stance.

Polk’s campaign pledge was to continue prosperity for America, while continue to expand, based on his belief of Manifest Destiny. Webster campaigned against Polk by claiming the president was planning to increase taxes, and continue with unjust wars. Both the Democrats campaigned against the Whigs by attacking Webster’s and the Whigs stance on slavery.  The question was who was going to finish second; Webster, or Van Buren?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »

Election Night 1848: The first presidential election to occur on the same day, it proved to be a one sided night. While Polk won in a landslide, the real battle was to see who would finish second.

In the North, Van Buren was drawing 2nd place numbers, even winning two states.

In the middle part of the country and the south, it was Webster that finished second to Polk.

The Final EV Votes:   Polk: 205
                                   Van Buren: 46
                                   Webster: 42 

While he lost the popular vote, Van Buren finished second in the popular vote.

Here are the maps:

The next post will be about year one of Polk’s second administartion
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »

Very interesting! I like the county map. Smiley
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:01:47 PM »

Thanks, i appreciate it. It took me a while to do but it was worth it. Part 3 won't be up until tomorrow.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:13:19 PM »

I presume Polk's second term will be very short...?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:49:40 PM »

The 2nd Term of James K. Polk: Year One

November 4th 1848: While the Whigs lost in a landslide in the presidential election, their main goal was to gain leadership in both houses of Congress. But, the only seats gained for the Whigs were five seats in the house. Surprisingly, the Free soil party gained 7 seats in the senate, defeating Whig candidates.  Many historians believe this to be the beginning of the third party system in American politics.

December 14th, 1848: President Polk creates a new cabinet position, the Secretary of the interior who is charge with Land management, and wildlife management. The leading candidate for the new position is Senator Lewis Cass.

December 31st, 1848: President Polk announces the Senator Lewis Cass is his choice for secretary of the interior.

Polk’s Cabinet for his Second Term:

President: James K. Polk 1845-Current
Vice President: George M. Dallas: 1845-Current
Secretary of State: James Buchanan 1845-Current
Secretary of the Treasury: Robert J. Walker 1845–1849
Secretary of War: George B. McClellan 1489- Current
Attorney General: Stephen Douglas 1849-Current
Postmaster General: Cave Johnson 1845-Current
Secretary of the Navy: John Y. Mason 1846-Current
Secretary of the Interior: Lewis Cass 1849-Current

March 4th 1849: President Polk is inaugurated for his second term.  In his inauguration speech, Polk promised to continue his great record of service for the American people, while working with congress to help make the country better in the long term. Polk stated he was not afraid to use the veto to get his point across to the congress.

March 31st 1849: The coinage act of 1849 is signed by President Polk.

April 10th, 1849: President Polk travels to California by rail to witness the California Gold Rush.

May 20th 1849: Harriet Tubman escapes from the plantation she was slaved on by traveling the Underground Railroad.

June 4th 1849: the Washington monument is approved by congress and the president

November 4th, 1849: Abraham Lincoln is elected the governor of Illinois in a special election after the current governor Augustus French resigns.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 11:49:22 PM »

Between 1816 and 1916, there was no election in which the President and Vice President were reelected.

Just thought I might throw that out.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 10:22:22 AM »

Between 1816 and 1916, there was no election in which the President and Vice President were reelected.

Just thought I might throw that out.

Well, this is a fantasy election, it's supposed to be different.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »

Good so far, but you might want to throw in a note about he survived this long already.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 11:39:50 AM »

Good so far, but you might want to throw in a note about he survived this long already.

I am planning on having him live a little while longer. In real life, he only died from Cholrea, which he got from traveling in New Orleans. But his time will come before long.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »

Election Night 1848: The first presidential election to occur on the same day, it proved to be a one sided night. While Polk won in a landslide, the real battle was to see who would finish second.

In the North, Van Buren was drawing 2nd place numbers, even winning two states.

In the middle part of the country and the south, it was Webster that finished second to Polk.

The Final EV Votes:   Polk: 205
                                   Van Buren: 46
                                   Webster: 42 

While he lost the popular vote, Van Buren finished second in the popular vote.

Here are the maps:

The next post will be about year one of Polk’s second administartion

I am confused as to how the Free-Soil Party won ANY counties in the Slave States, let alone Maryland, when Lincoln himself failed there almost 12 years later, when people were not as protective of the institution.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »

Maryland is a free state in this TL, and since Van Buren was popular in the north, he did well there.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 09:13:01 PM »

The 2nd term of James K. Polk: Year 2
------------------------------------------------------
January 29th, 1850: Senator Henry Clay introduces The Compromise of 1850 to congress. A series of bills that deal with slavery in the new states immediately starts conflict among anti and pro slavery fractions.

March 7th, 1850: In an effort to promote his new novel, and to express his views on The Compromise of 1850, Nathaniel Hawthorne gives his famous “Seventh of March” speech, in which he endorses the Compromise of 1850.

March 16th, 1850 – Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter is published.

March 19th, 1850: American Express is founded by Henry Wells, and William Fargo.

March 31st, 1850: President Polk finally issues a statement regarding his stance on the compromise of 1850.  Despite being middle of the road on the issue, Polk claimed the compromise would not be passed because it lacks morals. This is surprising to everyone because of the President’s past ownership of slaves at his farm. The president also states that the Democratic Party is against the compromise, and will vote against it in both houses of congress.

April 15th, 1850: Los Angeles and San Francisco California are established.

April 19th, 1850: A major piece of Foreign Policy is signed by The United States, and England. The Clayton-Bulwer Treaty, which allows both countries to Nicaragua, and not claim complete control over the proposed Nicaragua Canal.

June 3rd, 1850: Kansas City, Missouri is established.

June 15th, 1850: Harriet Tubman becomes the official conductor of the Underground Railroad while still listed as a fugitive.

July 4th, 1850: President Polk attends the opening ceremonies of the Washington Monument.  Based from several people who attended the event, President Polk looks like he is in bad health.

July 10th, 1850: President Polk dies from Heart Failure, he was 54 years old.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming up: The Presidency of George M. Dallas.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 02:36:24 AM »

You should know that poor Polk didn't die from heart failure.

He overworked himself and well....

He got a bad case of the runs that he couldn't shake, and he died of dehydration...
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »

In this Scenario, he dies from heart failure, not Cholrea, nor dehydration
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 11:23:58 PM »

San Francisco and Los Angeles existed well before the American conquest of California.

Also poor Polk.....

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 12:18:06 AM »

San Francisco and Los Angeles existed well before the American conquest of California.

Incorporated, presumably.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »

Incorporated, presumably.

That is what I meant, i will change it. The next part will be up today or tomorrow.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 08:39:32 PM »

The Presidency of George M. Dallas: Year one: 1850-1851
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 12th, 1850: The state funeral of President Polk is held in Washington DC.

July 14th, 1850: President Polk is taken by train to Nashville to be buried.

July 15th, 1850: President Dallas gives his first address a president. In his address he promises to continue the polices of his fallen predecessor.

September 9th, 1850: California becomes the next US state admitted to the Union, while the New Mexico territory is created.

September 18th, 1850: The Compromise of 1850, including the Fugitive Slave Law is passed barely in the US Senate.

September 20th, 1850: President Dallas veto's the Compromise of 1850. It is passed barely in both houses of congress. Afterwards, the debate over slavery starts to become the main topic of discussion.

October 14th, 1850: US census is released, 11.2% of all population is African American.

November 12th, 1850: Lehman Brothers is established in Alabama.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming up: 1851, the beginning of Civil Unrest.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »

BUMP

If you have any thoughts feel free to post them.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »

Polk is one of my favorite Presidents. I really like him --probably cause of his name but for what he did also. I approve.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »

Polk is one of my favorite Presidents. I really like him --probably cause of his name but for what he did also. I approve.

Thanks, i appreciate it.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 06:35:34 PM »

The Presidency of George M. Dallas: Year Two: 1851-1852
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 15th, 1851: The first sole women’s college is established.

January 23rd, 1851: A coin flip determines either to name a new city in Oregon either after Boston, Mass, or Portland, Maine. Portland wins.

February 15th, 1851: Talk of succession in Mississippi is banned when the Mississippi convention bans the right to succession.

March 31st, 1851: Former General Zachary Taylor, the favorite for the Whig nomination, announces his attentions to run for the Whig nomination in 1852.

April 6th, 1851: A new amendment is added to the Constitution, which officially states that if the President’s death occurs, the Vice President can take over. The vice President can also pick anyone for VP.

July 4th, 1851: President Dallas release a statement to the press, in which he announces he will not seek another term as president.

August 1st, 1851: Virginia closes its state constitutional convention by declaring only white men can vote. Riots begin to spread across the south. President Dallas is criticized for his lack of participation in stopping the riots.

September 18th, 1851: The New York Times is established.

October 17th, 1851: Northwestern University is established.

December 9th, 1851: The first YMCA is established

December 14th, 1851: The Library of Congress burns to the ground.

December 20th, 1851: Lewis Cass announces his attentions to become the Democratic nominee for president.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming up: The Presidential Election of 1852.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 09:20:47 PM »

The Presidency of George M. Dallas: The Final year
------------------------------------------------------------------
January 15th, 1852: Mount Sinai hospital is established.

February 3rd, 1852: Secretary of State James Buchanan announces his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for president.

March 20th. 1852: Uncle Tom’s Cabin is published. A controversial novel about slavery, the slavery problem continues to be the main problem of the presidential campaign.

April 18th, 1852: George Fitzhugh’s The Pro Slavery Argument is published.

June 1st-5th, 1852: The Democratic Convention was held. The convention featured a battle between Secretary of the Interior Lewis Cass, and Secretary of State James Buchanan. Cass was the favorite, but the convention remained close until the fifth ballot, where Cass was nominated fro his running mate, he selected Senator Franklin Pierce.

June 17th-18th, 1852: The Whig convention was held. There was only one candidate, General Zachary Taylor. The real battle was for his running mate. Abraham Lincoln, the Whig Governor of Illinois, and William A. Graham former Governor of North Carolina. It took five ballots but Governor Lincoln was selected.

June 29th, 1852: Senator Henry Clay dies. A former presidential candidate was respected by all members of congress, plus citizens across the country. Vice Presidential candidate Lincoln gives a Eulogy, which helps to boost the Whig tickets poll numbers.

July 1st, 1852: Henry Clay is the first person to lie in state at the capital.

July 4th, 1852: Frederick Douglass delivers his famous speech The Meaning of July Fourth for the Black man.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming Up: The Campaign summery of 1852

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 10:06:53 AM »

BUMP!

Update coming, please leave your comments.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies