Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:51:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 380987 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4225 on: August 02, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
« edited: August 02, 2011, 04:24:41 PM by Sic Semper Tyrannis »

Is there currently a regional drinking age?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4226 on: August 02, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »

At this time I would like to introduce Senator Napoleon's proposed Constitution for the Northeast Region in the nature of an amendment.

The constitution may be read here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=138801.0
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4227 on: August 02, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »

As I am new to this body, I am not aware of the procedures for an Assemblyman who has introduced an amendment making changes to that amendment. If I may I would like to withdraw my amendment and introduce a new one that simply inserts 'from 8 AM' after the parentheses in section 1 and before the word 'until'.

There are no fixed procedures for that; if you make a motion, it will be recognized regardless of the language you use to express it. As long as an Assemblyman makes it clear what he wishes to do, the Chair will recognize him.

As to the content of the bill, I am in favor of Nathan's amendment. I would also suggest that it might be prudent to limit liquor store hours to a shorter period of time on weekday nights.

Also, I'm a little perplexed by section II. I was unaware that the Northeast Government owned any liquor stores or taverns.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4228 on: August 02, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »

At this time I would like to introduce Senator Napoleon's proposed Constitution for the Northeast Region in the nature of an amendment.

Please do so in the Legislation Introduction thread, and the Assembly will consider it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4229 on: August 02, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »

As I am new to this body, I am not aware of the procedures for an Assemblyman who has introduced an amendment making changes to that amendment. If I may I would like to withdraw my amendment and introduce a new one that simply inserts 'from 8 AM' after the parentheses in section 1 and before the word 'until'.

There are no fixed procedures for that; if you make a motion, it will be recognized regardless of the language you use to express it. As long as an Assemblyman makes it clear what he wishes to do, the Chair will recognize him.

As to the content of the bill, I am in favor of Nathan's amendment. I would also suggest that it might be prudent to limit liquor store hours to a shorter period of time on weekday nights.

Also, I'm a little perplexed by section II. I was unaware that the Northeast Government owned any liquor stores or taverns.

Some states in our region are liquor-control states.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4230 on: August 02, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »

Please do so in the Legislation Introduction thread, and the Assembly will consider it.

I apologize. I misconstrued the rules of order to indicate that I could do it in the nature of an amendment.

As for the liquor bill, I agree that we should open discussion on whether it would be prudent to limit hours for liquor stores and taverns on Sundays through Thursdays.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4231 on: August 02, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »

Some states in our region are liquor-control states.

But if liquor-control is not uniform across the Region, why is the regional government operating liquor stores in some states and not others? That is, wouldn't it be up to the individual states who institute such policies to operate the stores and taverns within their own jurisdictions? Forgive me, I'm not too clear on this question of "regional federalism".
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4232 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »

I am pretty sure we essentially are the government of the states in a consolidated form. We have to legislate on behalf of the states.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4233 on: August 02, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »

Besides the age of 16 factor, I stand in support of this bill, especially section 2 Smiley

I'm still not sure why we have liquor stores, but, if we do, we won't any longer Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4234 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »

Under no circumstances will I support the sale of alcohol to anyone under the age of 18.  I agree with Nathan that age 21 would be even better, but if age 21 cannot be agreed to by the Assembly, then age 18 is, I believe, a reasonable compromise.

As to hours of opening, I would definitely not support hours of operation going beyond 2 AM.  In fact, I propose 2 AM for weekends, meaning Fridays and Saturdays, and 12 midnight Sunday to Thursday.

It seems to me as well that as we are the government of the Northeast Region that no state governments exist in this simulation, therefore, no state jurisdiction over liquor store operation exists in this case.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4235 on: August 02, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »

There is not.  I will therefore be voting against this attempt to impose one.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4236 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »

A clarification--I did not say or intend to imply that 21 would be better than 18. I think that 18 would be better than either 16 or 21 unless we were to begin raising other minimum ages to 21 as well (which depending on the context I might in fact support).

I agree with the Governor's proposal for the exact hours of operation on different days but I would accept anything from 12.30 to 1 AM as weekday hours as a compromise.

I move that, given the options of 16, 18, or 21, we put our personal preferred minimum drinking age on the record.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4237 on: August 02, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »

There is not.  I will therefore be voting against this attempt to impose one.

Thanks.  And I will vote against this as well.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4238 on: August 02, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »

My amendments:

Change the legal age in the region to purchase alcohol from age 16 as proposed in the bill to age 18.

Change hours of operation of liquor stores in the region to 12 midnight for Sunday to Thursday and 2 AM for Friday and Saturday. 
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4239 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:54 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2011, 12:25:41 AM by Nathan »

I concur with the Governor's amendments and will happily vote for this bill if they are carried. If they are not carried, I am undecided.

I would submit that we may want to make it clear that this bill is not to be construed as banning persons under whatever age is decided upon consuming alcohol. At least, I don't think we should do that.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4240 on: August 03, 2011, 12:45:54 AM »

I propose an amendment to strike section 1 of the bill.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4241 on: August 03, 2011, 03:53:50 AM »

What would your proposed age and hours be?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4242 on: August 03, 2011, 09:29:42 AM »

What would your proposed age and hours be?

N/A, considering I'm proposing we strike that whole section.  The drinking age and liquor store hours should be up to the constituent governments.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4243 on: August 03, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »

It is the absolute height of irresponsibility by lawmakers to have no restrictions on the age to legally purchase alcohol in the Northeast Region.

I recognize the fact that lawmakers have no control over the age of those who consume alcohol, as minors can, clearly, in any jurisdiction, obtain alcohol through illegal means.  The laws governing possession and consumption of alcohol by minors is the subject for another debate.  However, the Northeast government can act responsibly and restrict the sale of alcohol to those age 18 and over only.  

Age 18 for the legal purchase of alcohol is a completely reasonable and fair compromise.

I ask Northeast lawmakers to act responsibly and support this amendment.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4244 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2011, 09:57:01 AM by Napoleon »

I agree that the age is a reasonable compromise but I'd like to see the operating hours remain as they were when introduced. Smiley

By the way, it is great to see all of you guys so engaged in this debate. We need more strong policy debates, even if it is something like alcohol laws that usually don't top people's priority lists.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4245 on: August 03, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »

I assume the sub-regional governments have their own age restrictions.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4246 on: August 03, 2011, 10:11:45 AM »

I would support a drinking age at 18.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4247 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »

I agree that the age is a reasonable compromise but I'd like to see the operating hours remain as they were when introduced. Smiley

By the way, it is great to see all of you guys so engaged in this debate. We need more strong policy debates, even if it is something like alcohol laws that usually don't top people's priority lists.

I would hope to get majority support at least for my amendment to restrict the sale of alcohol only to those age 18 and over.  I believe this will be acting responsibly.  

If the majority decide to keep the hours of operation the same as in the original bill, then that is the way it is.  I believe the hours I have proposed are reasonable, however, one cannot always get everything they propose.  That is the nature of debate and compromise.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4248 on: August 03, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »

There is no drinking age in Portugal or China, as there was no drinking age in America for nearly its entire history, and yet those societies have (unfortunately) yet to devolve into complete anarchy.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4249 on: August 03, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »

So our standards of law are China?  I don't like the American age of 21, but to have no drinking age, I think personally, is irresponsible.  Now, I don't think parents are going to go out tomorrow and throw alcohol down their children's throats.  However, it's obvious that a (typical) teenager would revel at the chance to get drunk, more so then they would with an age of 18 for the sale of liquor.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies