Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:28:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 173 174 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 380865 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4200 on: July 30, 2011, 12:00:32 PM »

I'll introduce an amendment echoing Napoleon's concerns, which I will designate as unfriendly so that we can have a separate vote on it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We will have a 24 hour vote on this amendment, followed by a 24 hour vote on the bill as a whole.

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4201 on: July 30, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »

I will vote Nay on the amendment simply because I prefer my original language. That said, if the amendment passes, I will think no less of the bill as a whole and will support it just as enthusiastically.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4202 on: July 30, 2011, 12:03:55 PM »

This seems like an acceptable amendment, and I'll vote Aye for it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4203 on: July 30, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2011, 12:16:39 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

Someone who's thinking enough about their vote to realize they want to change it is generally thinking far more than someone who merely copies and pastes from Bgwah's PM.

(Oh no, I just exposed this ridiculous, partisan effort for what it is!)

For the record, I have no idea who Bgwah is, have never received a PM from Bgwah, have never sent a PM to Bgwah. have never quoted Bgwah, have never been quoted by Bgwah (as far as I know), and am really not concerned with anything Bgwah has to say, although recognizing he has the right to say whatever he wants, as long as it is not against forum rules, the same right as any other forum members.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4204 on: July 31, 2011, 06:37:28 PM »

On the previous question the ayes are one and the nays are one. Lieutenant Governor Simfan is invited to break the tie.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4205 on: July 31, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »

I am currently deliberating upon this question, and I shall exercise my right to break the tie.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4206 on: July 31, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »

Upon seeing the language used by Rep. Homelycooking in his vote, and upon reading this bill, I have decided to vote AYE.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4207 on: July 31, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »

The bill is amended to read:

Ballot Standardization Act

1. The Chief Judicial Officer of the Northeast is hereby authorized to open a voting booth for any and all Northeast Regional regular and special elections.

2. Any other official of the Northeast, including and limited to the Governor, Lt. Governor and members of the Assembly, are hereby authorized to open a voting booth for any and all Northeast Regional regular and special elections only if:
a. The Chief Judicial Officer declares a leave of absence encompassing the first day of the election, or otherwise states publicly his inability to open the polls on time; or
b. The Chief Judicial Officer does not open the polls one hour after an election's constitutionally or legally mandated start time.

3. The post with which the authorized opener of a voting booth begins the election must contain the following text before the listing of candidates running for office, with the bracketed items correctly filled in:

"As [name of authorized poll-opening officer], I hereby declare this polling place open.

This is the Northeast regional polling booth for the scheduled [name of election].  In this polling place, Northeast citizens are electing [names of offices up for election].

Votes for offices in this region are cast using PR-STV.  Voters who wish to preference more than one candidate should allocate a first preference for a candidate by marking a [1] in the space provided by that candidate's name, and proceeding to number as many preferences as they desire by marking a [2], [3], etc for as many candidates as they so desire.

A vote will be counted so long as the voter that casts it is eligible to vote in this election and casts  a formal ballot. A vote is formal so long as it contains numbered preferences with no duplicate numbers. A ballot containing Roman Numerals is not considered informal. A ballot in which candidates have been ranked a,b,c, etc is not considered informal so long as no letter has been repeated, and so long as a single candidate has been ranked a, for as long as the letters are consecutive with no duplicate letters. A ballot is formal if the CJO can determine the intent of the voter without interviewing that voter.

Per past practice, write-in votes are only counted for a candidate if he or she publicly declares a willingness to receive write-in votes for a particular office in the [name of election] before the polls close in the Candidate Declaration Thread or writes in his or her own name on the ballot for that particular office.

Votes for "NOTA" or "None of the Above" for any office are formal regardless of the preference assigned to it. Should a voter preference "NOTA" as well as other candidates, only his vote for "NOTA" will be counted, unless a candidate or candidates are preferred to NOTA, in which case votes for that candidate or those candidates will be counted normally.

This booth shall remain open until [time prescribed for the closing of the polls]."

4. Candidates shall have printed on the ballot certain basic information, limited to the following:
a. their full usernames and display names as of the time of the opening of the polls, should they differ from their usernames;
b. the name of the political party to which they belong, or the affiliation "Independent" in its place should a candidate not belong to a political party;
c. the name of the state in which they reside.

5. All information printed on a ballot must pertain immediately to the election at hand and may not contain solicitation, propaganda, or hyperlinks to other pages.

6. Absentee ballots need not contain all of the information mandated in sections 3 and 4, though it must be provided by the Chief Judicial Officer upon request to an absentee elector at any time beginning one week before the election.

7. An opening post that does not abide by the above clauses of this act inaugurates an election that shall not be recognized as the legitimate voice of the people of the Northeast and shall be rendered null and void.

We will now proceed to a final, 24 hour vote on this bill.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4208 on: July 31, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2011, 08:24:24 PM by Amoralfag »

Aye

Nay

If I might be indulged with an explanation, I believe this bill to be unconstitutional in that it contradicts the language expressed in the constitution.  The Constitution merely states that the Chief Judicial Officer may open a voting booth, and spells out the conditions for running the election in Article IV, clauses ii thru vi.  This bill contradicts the language of the Northeast Constitution in several places.  I cannot support it for that reason.  I would, however, support it as an amendment to the Constitution.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4209 on: July 31, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

Aye
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4210 on: July 31, 2011, 08:24:35 PM »

Aye
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4211 on: August 01, 2011, 02:54:15 AM »

Abstain
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4212 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »

The vote is cancelled. Without objection, the honorable member from Connecticut withdraws his bill and amends it to remove constitutionally objectionable language. He announces his intentions to introduce a constitutional amendment containing the language formerly contained within Section II of the Ballot Standardization Act at some later time.

The honorable member reintroduces his bill as follows:

Ballot Standardization Act

1. The Chief Judicial Officer of the Northeast is hereby authorized to open a voting booth for any and all Northeast Regional regular and special elections.

2. Any other official of the Northeast, including and limited to the Governor, Lt. Governor and members of the Assembly, are hereby authorized to open a voting booth for any and all Northeast Regional regular and special elections only if:
a. The Chief Judicial Officer declares a leave of absence encompassing the first day of the election, or otherwise states publicly his inability to open the polls on time; or
b. The Chief Judicial Officer does not open the polls one hour after an election's constitutionally or legally mandated start time.

3. The post with which the authorized opener of a voting booth begins the election must contain the following text before the listing of candidates running for office, with the bracketed items correctly filled in:

"As [name of authorized poll-opening officer], I hereby declare this polling place open.

This is the Northeast regional polling booth for the scheduled [name of election].  In this polling place, Northeast citizens are electing [names of offices up for election].

Votes for offices in this region are cast using PR-STV.  Voters who wish to preference more than one candidate should allocate a first preference for a candidate by marking a [1] in the space provided by that candidate's name, and proceeding to number as many preferences as they desire by marking a [2], [3], etc for as many candidates as they so desire.

A vote will be counted so long as the voter that casts it is eligible to vote in this election and casts  a formal ballot. A vote is formal so long as it contains numbered preferences with no duplicate numbers. A ballot containing Roman Numerals is not considered informal. A ballot in which candidates have been ranked a,b,c, etc is not considered informal so long as no letter has been repeated, and so long as a single candidate has been ranked a, for as long as the letters are consecutive with no duplicate letters. A ballot is formal if the CJO can determine the intent of the voter without interviewing that voter.

Per past practice, write-in votes are only counted for a candidate if he or she publicly declares a willingness to receive write-in votes for a particular office in the [name of election] before the polls close in the Candidate Declaration Thread or writes in his or her own name on the ballot for that particular office.

Votes for "NOTA" or "None of the Above" for any office are formal regardless of the preference assigned to it. Should a voter preference "NOTA" as well as other candidates, only his vote for "NOTA" will be counted, unless a candidate or candidates are preferred to NOTA, in which case votes for that candidate or those candidates will be counted normally.

This booth shall remain open until [time prescribed for the closing of the polls]."

4. Candidates shall have printed on the ballot certain basic information, limited to the following:
a. their full usernames and display names as of the time of the opening of the polls, should they differ from their usernames;
b. the name of the political party to which they belong, or the affiliation "Independent" in its place should a candidate not belong to a political party;
c. the name of the state in which they reside.

5. All information printed on a ballot must pertain immediately to the election at hand and may not contain solicitation, propaganda, or hyperlinks to other pages.

6. Absentee ballots need not contain all of the information mandated in sections 3 and 4, though it must be provided by the Chief Judicial Officer upon request to an absentee elector at any time beginning one week before the election.

7. An opening post that does not abide by the above clauses of this act inaugurates an election that shall not be recognized as the legitimate voice of the people of the Northeast and shall be rendered null and void.

We will now proceed to a final, 24 hour vote on this bill.

Without objection, we will waive debate and proceed directly to a 24-hour vote.

If a member wishes to object, he is encouraged to notify the Speaker as soon as possible so that his objection can be resolved.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4213 on: August 01, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »

Aye
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4214 on: August 01, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »

Aye
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4215 on: August 01, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »

Aye
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4216 on: August 01, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »

Aye
Elyski
elyski729
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.70, S: -8.00

« Reply #4217 on: August 02, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »

Aye.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4218 on: August 02, 2011, 09:49:09 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2011, 04:22:01 PM by Napoleon »

I'm sorry Elyski, your seat is vacant. You have missed at least three votes on legislation. We will need another special election.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4219 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:18 AM »

On the previous question the ayes are four and the nays are zero. The bill is passed.

The Assembly will now consider the following bill, proposed by the gentleman from Connecticut and signed by the gentleman from Massachusetts:

End to Alcohol Control Act

1. Businesses with liquor permits shall be allowed to sell liquor, beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages to those 16 or older (with proper identification) until 2 AM on any day of the week.

2. Government-owned liquor stores shall be auctioned to the highest bidder.

3. Local governments may not restrict alcohol sales in conflict with this law.

Debate will last 48 hours. The two gentlemen sponsoring this bill are welcome to speak to its merits during debate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4220 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:08 AM »

Government-owned liquor stores are an anachronism. This bill will end that through a fair method utilizing our democratic market. This bill also prevents young children from purchasing alcohol, which I believe is legal now given our lack of legal drinking age. I suggest either 6 AM or 8 AM for an opening time, which I mistakenly excluded.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4221 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »

End to Alcohol Control Act

1. Businesses with liquor permits shall be allowed to sell liquor, beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages to those 16 or older (with proper identification) until 2 AM on any day of the week.

2. Government-owned liquor stores shall be auctioned to the highest bidder.

3. Local governments may not restrict alcohol sales in conflict with this law.

I find this proposal to be much too lax and uncontrolled.  There is no way that 16 year olds should be permitted by law to purchase alcohol.  16 year olds are still in school.  The legal purchase of alcohol by those as young as 16 years of age is a recipe for disaster.  The minimum age for purchase of alcohol should be 18 years of age.

I therefore introduce an amendment to this bill stating that businesses with liquor permits shall be allowed to sell liquor, beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages to those 18 years of age and older, with proper identification..........   

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4222 on: August 02, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2011, 03:34:52 PM by Nathan »

I rise in support of the gentleman from Rhode Island's amendment and further move that the bill be amended to insert '8 AM', the later of the two opening times suggested by the gentleman from Connecticut, into section 1 following the close of the parenthesis, change the word 'until' to 'between', strike '2 AM', and insert '1 AM' in its place. It may seem like a minor difference to some, but as a person who frequently stays up very long into the night, on many occasions within the past few weeks alone hitting the crack of dawn, I can tell you that there is in fact a difference between these times in terms of the darkness of the night, the general quietness, and the possibility of a business with a liquor permit creating an impediment to the peace of the citizenry if open.

Although I would support simply changing the time in the legislation, I would also be open to a form of the legislation mandating some form of a 'winding down' time between midnight or 1 AM and 2 AM.

I am as yet unsure if I would vote for the bill as it currently stands without the gentleman from Rhode Island's amendment or my own. While I strongly support it on principle, I have concerns about the too-young age and too-late time listed in section 1 of the bill.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4223 on: August 02, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »

While I would prefer a 24 hour law like Nevada has, I chose 2 AM because it seems to be the standard in more real life states more than any other time. I definitely think 1 AM is too early (who stops drinking at 1 AM on weekends? Tongue ). Since neither myself nor Dallasfan65 are Representatives, I presume that any amending will be subject to voting. Correct me if I am wrong, though.

As for Winfield's change to age 18, I originally had that as Ihad believed that to be our national drinking age but Dallas and I agreed to lower it to 16 when he informed me that a law had been passed to remove the drinking age at the federal level. I am ambivalent on this proposed change as 18 is reasonable enough if 16 can't be agreed upon.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4224 on: August 02, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »

All right. I do not drink, so I will take your word for the reasonableness of the closing time. It just seemed a bit too late for my tastes, since I do in fact live across the street from a tavern and often have trouble sleeping on weekends.

As I am new to this body, I am not aware of the procedures for an Assemblyman who has introduced an amendment making changes to that amendment. If I may I would like to withdraw my amendment and introduce a new one that simply inserts 'from 8 AM' after the parentheses in section 1 and before the word 'until'.

I still strongly support the gentleman from Rhode Island's proposed change to the minimum age stated in the bill. In fact, not only would I prefer 18 to 16, I would prefer it to 21 as well. The plethora of different minimum ages for different things strikes me as confusing and unnecessary.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 173 174 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies