Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:43:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 380972 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4150 on: July 21, 2011, 09:39:55 PM »

The bill needs lots of work if it's going to win my support. Section three is unnecessary, and it seems unconscionable to me that we should automatically grant all companies that don't outsource (a term not defined) a 15% tax deduction.

I don't think that the commission needs more than three members, but I would be willing to serve in Cincinnatus', Winfield's or Simfan's place should any of the three find themselves unable to work for the commission.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4151 on: July 21, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

The bill needs lots of work if it's going to win my support. Section three is unnecessary, and it seems unconscionable to me that we should automatically grant all companies that don't outsource (a term not defined) a 15% tax deduction.

I don't think that the commission needs more than three members, but I would be willing to serve in Cincinnatus', Winfield's or Simfan's place should any of the three find themselves unable to work for the commission.

I would be pleased to have Simfan, Cincinnatus, and yourself, homelycooking, serve on the commission.  I guess Simfan and I will have to get wiki accounts.  I will not be on the commission, but I will have to have a wiki account as I will be responsible for updates, from what I understand.

Do we PM Dave to get accounts, or how does it work exactly?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4152 on: July 22, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »

I would be pleased to have Simfan, Cincinnatus, and yourself, homelycooking, serve on the commission.  I guess Simfan and I will have to get wiki accounts.  I will not be on the commission, but I will have to have a wiki account as I will be responsible for updates, from what I understand.

Do we PM Dave to get accounts, or how does it work exactly?

Yes, PM Dave.  He gave me access a day or two after I asked for it, so PM him as soon as possible so that he can see it.  Best to write something like "Wiki Access Request" as the title.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4153 on: July 22, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »

Yeah, it was crap, and probably unconstitutional.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4154 on: July 22, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »

Don't let that stop you from proposing other bills.  I'm always willing to debate whatever you propose with one position or another.

Also, I think that if homely is able to join the commission that would be fantastic.  Realistically, I think the commission would be best served with someone who has experience in the region, and knows more about past Assembly work.  Having worked on the Statute Review, I think Homely has a greater sense of direction than I.  I will be a member, but I hope that homely can join and lend a leading hand Smiley
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4155 on: July 23, 2011, 08:29:01 AM »

Time for debate has expired. Members will now vote on the bill - this will be a 24 hour vote.

Members will also recommend three potential members for the Wiki Review Commission.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4156 on: July 23, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »

Nay on the bill

3 potential members;

Myself
Homelycooking
Simfan (?)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4157 on: July 23, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »

Nay on the bill. I recommend Cincinnatus, Simfan and Winfield.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4158 on: July 23, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »

Nay on my own bill.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4159 on: July 24, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »

I'm rather disappointed we didn't get a better debate on on this. It was a good opportunity to tackle unemployment.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4160 on: July 24, 2011, 02:52:37 PM »

Stupid bill, but Aye
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4161 on: July 24, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »

I'm rather disappointed we didn't get a better debate on on this. It was a good opportunity to tackle unemployment.

Well, to be fair, its sponsor called it "crap" and didn't seem willing to amend it. Another bill would probably be the best vehicle for that debate.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4162 on: July 24, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »

On the previous question the ayes are one and the nays are three. The bill is not agreed to.

Cincinnatus, Simfan, Winfield and homelycooking have been recommended to the Wiki Review Commission. If you are among these four, please notify your acceptance or rejection of your recommendation and, if you accept, become a member of the commission.

The Assembly will now consider the following bill, proposed by the gentleman from Rhode Island, Governor Winfield.

The Northeast Region Voting Act

In all Northeast Region elections, the 20 minute rule whereby a voter can change their vote within 20 minutes of casting it shall be eliminated.  The original vote as cast by the voter shall be their only valid vote.

Debate will last 48 hours and begins now.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4163 on: July 24, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »

On the previous question the ayes are one and the nays are three. The bill is not agreed to.

Cincinnatus, Simfan, Winfield and homelycooking have been recommended to the Wiki Review Commission. If you are among these four, please notify your acceptance or rejection of your recommendation and, if you accept, become a member of the commission.

The Assembly will now consider the following bill, proposed by the gentleman from Rhode Island, Governor Winfield.

In all Northeast Region elections, the 20 minute rule whereby a voter can change their vote within 20 minutes of casting it shall be eliminated.  The original vote as cast by the voter shall be their only valid vote.

I believe it would be in the best interests of the Northeast for the three who have actually expressed a willingness already to serve on the commission, Simfan, homelycooking, and Cincinnatus, to comprise the commission.  Since the three of you have already expressed this interest, I will not be accepting a place on the commission.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4164 on: July 24, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »

This bill could be renamed

The Elimination Of The Twenty Minute Voting Rule Bill

or something along those lines.

I would urge support for this bill, as we have seen in the last federal election, this 20 minute time frame to change a vote leaves open the possibility of a voter being manipulated into changing, or even invalidating their vote due to being pressured by someone else.

Our own Senator Napoleon was the victim of this blatant pressure and manipulation in the last election.

One person, one vote, per election, is a fair way to vote.  This bill eliminates any possibility of a voter being manipulated or pressured in any way by someone else.

This bill personifies democracy in action.

This bill is fair and just and puts all voters on an equal footing in every election.

The will of the people must prevail, not the will of manipulators looking out for their own interests.

I urge the Assembly to get behind democracy and support this bill.

Thank you.

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4165 on: July 25, 2011, 08:35:46 AM »

I agree with the sponsor's sentiments and support this bill. I would just amend it thus for clarity as follows, since "20 minute rule" isn't precise.

Vote Sanctity Act

A voter who edits his ballot any length of time after it has been posted in the voting booth thread for any Northeast Election nullifies it. Election authorities shall not count a ballot altered in the above manner.

I accept my recommendation to the commission.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4166 on: July 25, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »

I agree with homely's amendment.

I also accept my recommendation to the commission, and hope that as soon as simfan does the same we can get to work.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4167 on: July 25, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »

I as well agree with homely's amendment.

Thank you for your well thought out amendment.

It does add more clarity to the bill.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4168 on: July 25, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »

I believe that people should be allowed the opportunity to change their vote within a reasonable timeframe, if they so wish.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4169 on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »

I believe that people should be allowed the opportunity to change their vote within a reasonable timeframe, if they so wish.

I do not. One's vote should be not be a bargaining chip, to be altered as one wishes after the fact to sway potential political allies or punish political enemies. It should reflect the final and irrevocable outcome of a voter's personal deliberation over the merits of the candidates at hand, and should be treated as such.

Should a voter make an error in his ballot, he still should not be permitted to fix it. That voter should have made sure that his ballot was accurate before posting it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4170 on: July 25, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

Well said, Speaker, well said.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4171 on: July 25, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »

This bill is absurd.  20 minutes is a reasonable timeframe in which one can change one's mind or (more importantly), correct errors.  Should people be forced to cast any vote in which they mistakenly rank the candidates in the wrong order?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4172 on: July 25, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »

This bill is absurd.  20 minutes is a reasonable timeframe in which one can change one's mind or (more importantly), correct errors.  Should people be forced to cast any vote in which they mistakenly rank the candidates in the wrong order?

Voters have 72 hours of voting to mull it over. If a voter fails to check their ballot for accuracy, the responsibility falls on that voter. Mind changing and error checking can be done before any ballot is cast (and should be). This is how voting proceeds in a normal democracy.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4173 on: July 25, 2011, 11:16:51 PM »

I believe that a voter who is careless enough to cast a vote which does not reflect his true opinions or preferences, whether through error or partisan machination, does not appreciate the democratic process. It is a fitting punishment that any such voter deprives himself of the ability to make his own true voice resonate through society.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4174 on: July 26, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »

Except, we're not a "normal democracy."  This is the Internet.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies