Efficient Automoble Rebate System Bill (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:52:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Efficient Automoble Rebate System Bill (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Efficient Automoble Rebate System Bill (Failed)  (Read 7166 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
« edited: September 17, 2009, 07:29:15 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Efficient Automobile Rebate System Bill

Section 1: Rebates

1. An optional rebate of $4500-$5000 shall be given to consumers who purchase a compact automobile (car) with a rating of at least 33 miles to the gallon or more.

2. An optional rebate of $3500-$4000 shall be given to consumers who purchase a Sport Utility Vehicle or truck with a rating of at least 26 miles to the gallon or more.

3. The total amount of the rebate shall be determined by the amount of gas mileage to the gallon.

4. A total of $8 billion shall be appropriated to this program.

5. This program shall come to an end six months after being signed into law, or the depletion of the funds appropriated, whichever happens first.

Section 2: Eligibility

1. To qualify for the rebate outlined in Section 1, Clause 1, the consumer must have a car that is a model manufactured at least ten years ago, and has been estimated by the EPA to travel 21 miles to the gallon.

2. To qualify for the rebate outlined in Section 1, Clause 2, the consumer must have a Sport Utility Vehicle or truck that is a model manufactured at least ten years ago, and has been estimated by the EPA to travel 18 miles to the gallon.

Spon: Sen. Marokai Blue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:16:22 PM »

My reasons for this program should be quite self-explanatory, as should my belief that it will be very effective.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »

I personally think 29 m/g is too low. Perhaps 35, which is almost exclusively hybrid and diesel cars.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »

I agree with Vepres on that. Too many cars get 29 MPG nowadays. I think it should be up towards 33.

I propose the following amendment...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:37:01 PM »

The bill's language is severely flawed. "gets x mpg" should be changed to "has been estimated by the EPA to travel x mpg". (Section 2)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »

I personally think 29 m/g is too low. Perhaps 35, which is almost exclusively hybrid and diesel cars.

I'd like it if people purchased higher MPG cars, but 29 (as well as the truck MPG requirement) is much higher than the original program. Remember, people will not just buy at 29 MPG, even in the initial program people bought beyond what was required.

I agree with Vepres on that. Too many cars get 29 MPG nowadays. I think it should be up towards 33.

I oppose this amendment and will certainly not be accepting it as friendly. Why don't we just increase it to 500 MPG and gut the program entirely!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »

I oppose this amendment and will certainly not be accepting it as friendly. Why don't we just increase it to 500 MPG and gut the program entirely!
Now that you mention it...Tongue
We're giving people a good sum of money for buying a fuel-efficent car.  They should be doing something really good to be getting that money. You could pick out a random car on a lot, and there's a decent chance it gets 29 MPG.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »

We're giving people a good sum of money for buying a fuel-efficent car.  They should be doing something really good to be getting that money. You could pick out a random car on a lot, and there's a decent chance it gets 29 MPG.

Average gas mileage for all cars is something like 21 MPG in the US. If we make the requirements too high we defeat the purpose of the program.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 07:45:06 PM »

Average gas mileage for all cars is something like 21 MPG in the US. If we make the requirements too high we defeat the purpose of the program.
33 MPG isn't too high. That's a hybrid car, a cleaner type of car our government should be strongly encouraging. The purpose of the program is to encourage people to buy more efficient, cleaner cars, which is still what we'll be doing.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »

33 MPG isn't too high. That's a hybrid car, a cleaner type of car our government should be strongly encouraging. The purpose of the program is to encourage people to buy more efficient, cleaner cars, which is still what we'll be doing.

Your proposition is admirable, Tmthforu. 33 MPG is a better goal, and still reasonable. I see no reason to settle for 29.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 07:52:54 PM »

Your proposition is admirable, Tmthforu. 33 MPG is a better goal, and still reasonable. I see no reason to settle for 29.

No American Hybrid will meet that. The Prius is the only one and we want to benefit our manufacturers. I don't think the Ford Focus meets that requirement.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »

No American Hybrid will meet that. The Prius is the only one and we want to benefit our manufacturers. I don't think the Ford Focus meets that requirement.

Chevrolet Malibu – 34 mpg

BMW 3 Series/M3 – 33 mpg

Chevrolet Aveo/Aveo5 – 34 mpg

Chevrolet Cobalt/SS – 33 mpg

Chevrolet Volt – 50 mpg (Coming in 2010)

Ford Focus – 35 mpg

Honda Civic/SI – 46 mpg

Honda FCX Clarity – 68 mpg

Honda Fit – 35 mpg

Hyundai Accent – 33 mpg

Hyundai Elantra – 33 mpg

Kia Rio/Rio5 – 34 mpg

Mini Clubman/S/JCW – 37 mpg

Mini Cooper/S/JCW – 37 mpg

Nissan Altima – 33 mpg

Nissan Cube – 37 mpg (Coming in 2010)

Nissan Sentra/SE-R – 33 mpg

Nissan Versa – 33 mpg

Pontiac G5 – 37 mpg

Scion xD – 33 mpg

Smart Fortwo – 41 mpg

Toyota Camry – 34 mpg

Toyota Corolla – 35 mpg

Toyota Prius – 45 mpg

Toyota Yaris – 36 mpg

Volkswagen Jetta/GLI – 41 mpg
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 07:58:43 PM »

The bill's language is severely flawed. "gets x mpg" should be changed to "has been estimated by the EPA to travel x mpg". (Section 2)

In that case, semantics-only amendment to Section 2.

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 07:59:45 PM »

Thank you. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »

I'm more than happy with withdrawing my sponsorship of this bill if you people are intent on ruining it. This is not a bill meant to stimulate hybrid car sales, it's meant to stimulate car sales period, and instituting strict rules on what cars people can buy because of MPG requirements interferes with that.

I believe the rules you propose would make the requirements over 10MPG higher than the initial program. We need to trust that people will make the right decision and buy higher quality vehicles, but we shouldn't make the requirements too strict or we will make this program far, far less effective.

I accept your amendment as friendly.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to Hashemite's amendment being taken as friendly.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2009, 10:37:54 PM by Midwest Governor Vepres »

18 and 21 !?! No way, that's too low. Ignore this Sad

Ford Fusion Hybrid is an excellent car which, with rebates, would be $23k-ish, not too bad for a new car. Perhaps there should be two brackets, something like 27-32 MPG gets x, while 33+ gets y.

BTW, we talking highway or city MPG?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 09:03:53 PM »

You do realize that that's talking about trading cars in for the rebate, not purchasing them, right?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 10:01:07 PM »

You do realize that that's talking about trading cars in for the rebate, not purchasing them, right?

No, he doesn't.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 10:36:18 PM »

Cry I was... wrong.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:25 AM »

I favor Tmth's amendment.  Marokai, I am not getting why you so strongly oppose it.  I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 12:32:51 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2009, 12:34:41 AM by Senator Marokai Blue »

I favor Tmth's amendment.  Marokai, I am not getting why you so strongly oppose it.  I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

It guts the purpose of the program, which is to get people buying cars again. The average MPG in 2008 model cars was only 21! If we're going to continue to push the required number for buying a car higher and higher it makes it less likely people will buy new vehicles.

We're turning this into a solely environmental measure as opposed to an economic stimulus program, and we're mucking up a program that already had much higher requirements for MPG than the real one.

I don't want my name on such a thing.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 12:34:54 AM »

It guts the purpose of the amendment, which is to get people buying cars again. The average MPG in 2008 model cars was only 21! If we're going to continue to push the required number for buying a car higher and higher it makes it less likely people will buy new vehicles.

We're turning this into a solely environmental measure as opposed to an economic stimulus program, and we're mucking up a program that already had much higher requirements for MPG than the real one.

I posted a good list of vehicles that met the requirements for cars. You can't justify your position as anything except roadblocking.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:01 AM »

It guts the purpose of the amendment, which is to get people buying cars again. The average MPG in 2008 model cars was only 21! If we're going to continue to push the required number for buying a car higher and higher it makes it less likely people will buy new vehicles.

I posted a good list of vehicles that met the requirements for cars. You can't justify your position as anything except roadblocking.

Oh yes because I love to just block my own legislation for the hell of it.

As I said before THE AVERAGE MILES PER GALLON FOR A 2008 MODEL VEHICLE WAS ONLY 21. ONLY 21. ON.LY.2.1. Now you're all trying to increase it twelve MPG higher than the average? The point of this program is to get as many people as possible buying new cars, not to play the "how green can you go" game.

Yes, you gave me a very small list of cars that just barely hit the requirements. Okay. Who cares? Most of those only just barely hit the requirement, others are expensive, and as I said, you're turning this program into something very very very narrow, where only a handful of cars could be purchased.

It. Guts. The program. We have to be realistic here and focus on getting people buying, not just buying a handful of compact cars.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 12:44:36 AM »

Almost all of them are foreign.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies