Efficient Automoble Rebate System Bill (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:52:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Efficient Automoble Rebate System Bill (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Efficient Automoble Rebate System Bill (Failed)  (Read 7156 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 12:45:36 AM »

I favor Tmth's amendment.  Marokai, I am not getting why you so strongly oppose it.  I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

It guts the purpose of the amendment, which is to get people buying cars again. The average MPG in 2008 model cars was only 21! If we're going to continue to push the required number for buying a car higher and higher it makes it less likely people will buy new vehicles.

We're turning this into a solely environmental measure as opposed to an economic stimulus program, and we're mucking up a program that already had much higher requirements for MPG than the real one.

I don't want my name on such a thing.

I posted a good list of vehicles that met the requirements for cars. You can't justify your position as anything except roadblocking.

Almost all of them are foreign.

That too.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 12:54:51 AM »

I'm not trying to make a big deal of this, but the original program worked in the US so well because it was broad and got alot of people buying cars. This amendment makes the requirements for buying a new car very high, to the point to where no Atlasian cars will be bought, and only a handful of models will be bought at all. It pointlessly limits a good program.

If people want more efficient cars, they can get them on their own, we shouldn't narrow this program down to the point of barely being worth implementing.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 01:39:06 AM »

I tend to oppose this idea. I have concerns about what it would to to the automobile market in the near future.....I don't dispute that it would increase automobile sales (whether or not that's a good thing is another matter), but even after the economic crisis is over, I have my doubts as to whether people that purchased a car under this program would go out and buy another one just because they have a job again. I think we're only delaying the slump rather than preventing it.

Furthermore, even if you argue that putting newer and more efficient cars (and BTW, I would only support 33 mpg, if at all), would have a net positive effect on the environment, I would use caution. Manufacturing a new car requires lots and lots of energy, probably more than you would save by operating a more efficient vehicle as opposed to your "clunker".

I generally see this whole idea as a waste of money.

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 02:33:45 AM »

I tend to oppose this idea. I have concerns about what it would to to the automobile market in the near future.....I don't dispute that it would increase automobile sales (whether or not that's a good thing is another matter), but even after the economic crisis is over, I have my doubts as to whether people that purchased a car under this program would go out and buy another one just because they have a job again. I think we're only delaying the slump rather than preventing it.

Furthermore, even if you argue that putting newer and more efficient cars (and BTW, I would only support 33 mpg, if at all), would have a net positive effect on the environment, I would use caution. Manufacturing a new car requires lots and lots of energy, probably more than you would save by operating a more efficient vehicle as opposed to your "clunker".

Also, the destruction of the old cars is even more harmful to the environment. But even regarding the intent of the bill, Marokai has flawed the true goal- we are replacing these old cars for a reason, and it's not to get more polluters out on the roads. Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 06:33:13 AM »

Also, the destruction of the old cars is even more harmful to the environment. But even regarding the intent of the bill, Marokai has flawed the true goal- we are replacing these old cars for a reason, and it's not to get more polluters out on the roads. Wink

My goal is to improve the economy with a proven effective program. Your goal is to narrow it to the point of uselessness and ultimately, to the detriment of our very own automakers.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 07:28:04 AM »

I don't think anyone is disputing the effectiveness of such a program to increase demand in the short term.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 08:38:14 AM »

I tend to agree with the original proposal.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »

My goal is to improve the economy with a proven effective program. Your goal is to narrow it to the point of uselessness and ultimately, to the detriment of our very own automakers.

LOL

I've always been one of the most outspoken proponents of American automobiles. However, we need to focus on specific models that are environmentally friendly (at least as much as we can get). We have to remember that we can't just start ignoring environmental concerns to fix some economic ones. Economy runs in a cycle, environmental damage is permanent.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »

I favor Tmth's amendment.  Marokai, I am not getting why you so strongly oppose it.  I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

It guts the purpose of the amendment, which is to get people buying cars again. The average MPG in 2008 model cars was only 21! If we're going to continue to push the required number for buying a car higher and higher it makes it less likely people will buy new vehicles.

We're turning this into a solely environmental measure as opposed to an economic stimulus program, and we're mucking up a program that already had much higher requirements for MPG than the real one.

I don't want my name on such a thing.

I posted a good list of vehicles that met the requirements for cars. You can't justify your position as anything except roadblocking.

Almost all of them are foreign.

That too.

Plenty of "foreign" cars are actually made in the US these days, while "American" cars generally have lots of components built abroad.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 01:01:01 PM »

Aug. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Four of the top five models sold so far under the U.S. “cash for clunkers” program, aimed at boosting the auto industry, are made by foreign automakers, according to Transportation Department data.

Ford Motor Co.’s Focus was the top seller, followed by Toyota Motor Corp.’s Corolla, Honda Motor Co.’s Civic and Toyota’s Prius and Camry, data from the department showed today.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aOvqtH88QaJg

I like your logic though. Even with America's more lax requirements, foreign automakers dominated the program, unless you are willing to support an American only provision (I am Smiley ), there is still no reason not to have stricter environmental standards.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »

Well I don't support this program at all....but an "American only" clause is particularly disgusting.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »

Well I don't support this program at all....but an "American only" clause is particularly disgusting.

And unconstitutional, which is why I didn't propose it.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 02:46:19 PM »

How would it be unconstitutional?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »

There's a section of the constitutional that refers to maintaining a "free and undistorted market" or something other. That's usually interpreted very narrowly (thankfully) but restricting this only to Atlasian automobiles would be a clear violation.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »

Even if that was constitutionnal, I don't think it would be accepted by the Senate. See what happened to the ''Buy Atlasian'' of the stimulus. I would not support that clause, anyways.

By the way, I am against Tmth's amendment.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 02:53:58 PM »

I probably wouldn't support that anyway, but I was just wondering what made it unconstitutional. Thanks.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 04:29:24 PM »

I will oppose the amendment. This program is meant to kill two birds with one stone. It makes no sense to turn an economic stimulus program into an Environmental protection program only, when both could be benefited.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:09 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to Hashemite's amendment being taken as friendly.

The amendment has now been added to the bill. I've updated the text in the first post.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 09:14:15 PM »

Don't we already have some pretty sizable tax breaks and/or subsidies for buying fuel efficient cars? Or am I misremembering?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 02:43:59 AM »

Don't we already have some pretty sizable tax breaks and/or subsidies for buying fuel efficient cars? Or am I misremembering?

Yes, I actually was the sponsor of it back then. I'm not sure it was a great idea, but it's there.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2009, 02:46:09 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Fuel_Efficient_Cars_Act
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 08:25:28 PM »

There has been no debate on Senator Tmthforu94's amendment for over 24 hours. I can start a vote on the amendment as soon as a Senator calls for it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »

Just keeping the Senate informed: From the GM's Desk
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »

Mr Vice President, I move that we immediately proceed to a vote on the amendment by the honerable Senator tmthforu94.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 08:52:25 PM »

There is a vote on the following amendment. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain. This vote will remain open for five days at most, or until there are enough votes for the amendment to pass or fail. Senators can change their vote at any time while voting is still open.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies