Are you well off?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:51:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you well off?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Are you well off?
Yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Are you well off?  (Read 9381 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »

No.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »

Boulder county is very expensive due to the mountains and open space and such

Huh
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2009, 03:23:35 PM »

No I don't have malnutrition or AIDS, I can afford to live with a small subsidy from my parents in a student flat for most of the year, I can buy decent food (but often don't)... so I'm fine.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »

Probably yes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »

Don't go getting it soon either - it isn't very fun. Though you can recover (to a point) surprisingly quickly.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2009, 03:58:19 PM »

Now that i see the quote alone i find it rather amusing that an Irish begins by saying this, maybe intended though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2009, 04:08:57 PM »

Don't go getting it soon either - it isn't very fun. Though you can recover (to a point) surprisingly quickly.

Umm... I wasn't planning to. But thanks anyway.

Now that i see the quote alone i find it rather amusing that an Irish begins by saying this, maybe intended though.

Different sort of Irish people.

They're dead.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »

Huh

Lots of people value these things, and as such it drives up property values. Mountain views, an abundance of open space and trails, people out here value that a lot, and we have lots of those. (I'm referring to the cost of owning or renting a home).
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »

They're dead.

Sure, sure, and anyways, that's not the cliché we have of Irish here, at all, here that's more the other clichés, some red haired guys with big pints of beer, or the small green goblin, or the Irish dances with violin. French have a pretty good image of Irish globally speaking.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2009, 04:17:47 PM »

I was trying to win an award in the "random and slightly disturbing comment" catagory.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »

They're dead.

Sure, sure, and anyways, that's not the cliché we have of Irish here, at all, here that's more the other clichés, some red haired guys with big pints of beer, or the small green goblin, or the Irish dances with violin. French have a pretty good image of Irish globally speaking.

Red Hair? Men? Nooooo.... (Ditto with Big Green Goblin... the big pints, sort of true, but you make it sound more fun than it actually is. Usually it is a bunch of old guys abandoned sitting in a corner on stools with the foam ripped out as they haven't been changed for 40 years with the wooden floor decaying from use, the weather and the fact that it smells of wee and last night's congealing vomit, talking bollocks about the weather and the gah and your man's son's daughter for every weekend or day, according to taste, until the end of time. Sorry, I got distracted here.)

Anyway as for 'famine victims', well other than pontificating on the condition of French peasants in the 1840s and that the potato blight also caused famine in Bavaria and the North of Scotland at the same time (but obviously not with the same uber-disastrous consquences, though it may have been a cause of 1848), I should point that I'm not from that 'part' of the country. And I don't come from that 'class of people' that died. Actually for families like my own in the 1840s famine might be a good thing.. keeps labour costs down, see.

I was trying to win an award in the "random and slightly disturbing comment" catagory.

You win! (Though I tried to beat you with my labour costs comment) Tongue.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2009, 04:46:56 PM by Benwah »

Red Hair? Men? Nooooo.... (Ditto with Big Green Goblin... the big pints, sort of true, but you make it sound more fun than it actually is. Usually it is a bunch of old guys abandoned sitting in a corner on stools with the foam ripped out as they haven't been changed for 40 years with the wooden floor decaying from use, the weather and the fact that it smells of wee and last night's congealing vomit, talking bollocks about the weather and the gah and your man's son's daughter for every weekend or day, according to taste, until the end of time. Sorry, I got distracted here.)

That's not at all what describe the commercials we have on our TVs here at least once a year, during a while, and this since about more than an half-decade now. At all.

Well, anyways, for youngs I'd say that's more a kind of  'yeah Dublin! yeah! Beer all the night! yeah! Guiness!'.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »

That's not at all what describe the commercials we have on our TVs here at least once a year, during a while, and this since about more than an half-decade now. At all.

Well, anyways, for youngs that's more 'yeah Dublin! yeah! Beer all the night!' I guess.

Oh yeah there are a couple of 'yoof' bars. I hate them. What in practice they mean is music played so ear-splittingly loud that one, if one does get a migraine or go deaf or go off to kill the management, can not plausibly talk to anyone ever in the place without recourse to shouting and LOUD NOISES. Despite this they remain popular. I don't understand people.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2009, 04:56:58 PM »

Not really, though I guess you could say everyone living in the first world is well off.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »

They're dead.

Anyway as for 'famine victims', well other than pontificating on the condition of French peasants in the 1840s and that the potato blight also caused famine in Bavaria and the North of Scotland at the same time (but obviously not with the same uber-disastrous consquences, though it may have been a cause of 1848), I should point that I'm not from that 'part' of the country. And I don't come from that 'class of people' that died. Actually for families like my own in the 1840s famine might be a good thing.. keeps labour costs down, see.

You win! (Though I tried to beat you with my labour costs comment) Tongue.

Generally speaking, everyone who survives a famine (and doesn't get too much disutility from knowing people who didn't) benefits according to most economic research. Wages tend to increase substantially.

(am I in it now?)

And I guess yes. Though I might have answered this before.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »

Huh

Lots of people value these things, and as such it drives up property values. Mountain views, an abundance of open space and trails, people out here value that a lot, and we have lots of those. (I'm referring to the cost of owning or renting a home).

Most of the companies here have branches where you are. Colorado has a reputation for being ridiculously cheap.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2009, 07:21:56 PM »

Huh

Most of the companies here have branches where you are. Colorado has a reputation for being ridiculously cheap.

Colorado, yes. Boulder, hell no.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »

Huh

From here, Boulder looks awfully inexpensive.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »

Huh

From here, Boulder looks awfully inexpensive.

Well, everything looks inexpensive compared to urban California Tongue

The point is, relative to the rest of the area it is expensive, and because cost of living is less here, salaries are lower too (generally speaking).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »

any of us would be remiss to complain.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »

I have money.

I'll leave it at that.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2009, 11:01:32 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2009, 11:03:19 PM by useful idiot »

Anyone in the U.S.(of proper age and mental capacity) is able to log in to the internet, regardless of financial status; that can't be the criteria. I wouldn't consider myself well off, but I've definitely known others worse off.

My family has been on food stamps, welfare, etc. There were nights we went without eating. My mother married a well off guy when I was about 9 and we lived a comfortable lifestyle until they got divorced a couple years later, so I've known what it's like to live as middle class. After that though we went roughly back to the same state as before. I can only attend college because the govt and loans pay for it(which also gives me room and board). My clothes come from the thrift store, not because it's trendy but because it's all I or my family can afford. My mother is currently unemployed and taking care of my brother who has severe birth defects(my other brother is at Pitt and on scholarship), living off of royalties from a book she wrote a few years ago and which gives her about $10,000 a year.

That said, I grew up in some rough areas and we were always taken care of because my mom would usually work two jobs (putting herself through school as well for a lot of that time), and we were lucky enough to get some government assistance. A lot of the families weren't like ours and the kids weren't taken care of and lived fairly miserable lives, so I won't begin to compare my situation to theirs....
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2009, 03:00:30 PM »

If you're able to log in to the Internet, you're well-off.

Bullsh**t.  It costs 10 baht per hour to do that here, which is about 35 cents.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »

nah
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States