Maine's Question 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:20:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maine's Question 1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28
Author Topic: Maine's Question 1  (Read 157911 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: November 04, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »

No one's asking you to recognize it, in fact no one cares that you recognize anything cause you're irrelevant. This is about the state recognizing the marriages. And now I'm awaiting that you reply to me by quoting at least 10 Bible verses.

the state is an extension of the people, the people are an extension of the individual.  Sodom and Gomorrah is not just historical, it is also prophetical, which is why Jesus used it to describe the end times.  Your side will get their way, but only for a season, until Christ returns.  As for me, I will choose to hold to God's word.  I will not join with those who believe the lie and are condemned.  So, let the chips fall where they may.

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded getting into a debate about state vs people, but you had to go into a whole speech about some fairy tale.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #526 on: November 04, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »

This is almost as good as last year's California: "Keep it straight...YES on 8!"

Cheesy
so, 47% of Maine is morally retrobate...sad news

Need I say that the pair of you are utter disgraces, a fact that cannot be overemphasised.

Rom 1:21-32
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Psa 1:1-3
 1 Blessed is the man
       who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
       or stand in the way of sinners
       or sit in the seat of mockers.

2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
       and on his law he meditates day and night.

3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
       which yields its fruit in season
       and whose leaf does not wither.
       Whatever he does prospers.

And your point being?  None whatsoever.  You know I won't fall for any of that rubbish so I don't know why you even try.  The more I see people pulling that idiotic stunt you're performing the more turned off I am by organised religion.

1 No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief.

Indeed.

May I simply note that Jmfcst and his ilk do not speak for all of us Christians. Such selective reliance on handpicked portions of scripture---particularly the Levitican priestly codes---to justify his personal social mores, while ignoring Christ's unambiguous message throughout the Gospels of unqualified unreserved love for all his children, well, shall we nicely say "misses the point entirely"?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #527 on: November 04, 2009, 03:48:31 PM »

In case anyone wanted the (almost) full results:

596 of 608 Precincts Reporting - 98%
 Yes 298,787 52.79%
 No 267,188 47.21%
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #528 on: November 04, 2009, 03:52:12 PM »

Chrstians opposing gay marriage is one thing, but the results in Washington make me wonder how many of them are cool with gay civil unions. Surely any individual actor has the fundamental right to be as morally reprobate as s/he wishes, provided that s/he does not harm anyone else.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #529 on: November 04, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »

I for one am very pleased with the result making Tuesday a good day for the Conservative Movement.  We've got a Bible-believing governor in Virginia, NJ I'm not so sure about, and we have a pro-lifer in upstate New York.  Then, the biblical definition of marriage is restored in Maine.

Is everybody so damn ignorant in your bible-believing glorious hellhole Oklahoma?

(awkward silence)
Man, this state feels empty of civil libertarians!
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #530 on: November 04, 2009, 04:15:01 PM »

Since I am obviously not going to pitch a tent in Portland to object to this portrayal of bigotry, putting an L-ME in my avatar shall suffice for now.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #531 on: November 04, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »

This is almost as good as last year's California: "Keep it straight...YES on 8!"

Cheesy

Need I say that the pair of you are utter disgraces, a fact that cannot be overemphasised.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

1 Blessed is the man

And your point being?  None whatsoever.  You know I won't fall for any of that rubbish so I don't know why you even try.  The more I see people pulling that idiotic stunt you're performing the more turned off I am by organised religion.

1 No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief.

Indeed.

May I simply note that Jmfcst and his ilk do not speak for all of us Christians. Such selective reliance on handpicked portions of scripture---particularly the Levitican priestly codes---to justify his personal social mores, while ignoring Christ's unambiguous message throughout the Gospels of unqualified unreserved love for all his children, well, shall we nicely say "misses the point entirely"?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #532 on: November 04, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »

1 No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry
   whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods,
   nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief.

oh, I am not going to stop you from doing what you what.  go ahead and marry ten men...just don't ask me to recognize it

No one cares if YOU recognize it or not.  Or even LIKE it.

What's important is that the LAW recognizes it.  You know, the simple dignity of being able to pass on property without it being unfairly taxed by the government.  Or being able to visit someone in the hospital.

I don't understand why people are so fervently opposed to THAT, that they don't even care about pretending it's about the institution of marriage and instead fight against any sort of recognition, any sort of "favor."
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #533 on: November 04, 2009, 04:47:58 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2009, 04:53:04 PM by jmfcst »

JSojourner/Badger

That is an extremely BLIND argument that makes a TOTAL MOCKERY out of the bible.  God’s love brings freedom, but does God’s love give us a license to do whatever we please?  I think NOT!

Gal 5:13 “But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature.”

God’s love gives us freedom FROM sin, not freedom TO sin!  Therefore, sin is NOT defined by God’s love, rather it is defined by God requirements.  And in the case of sexual immorality, the question becomes “What is the context God established for human sexual activity?”
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #534 on: November 04, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »

Cheesy

1 Blessed is the man

And your point being?  None whatsoever.  You know I won't fall for any of that rubbish so I don't know why you even try.  The more I see people pulling that idiotic stunt you're performing the more turned off I am by organised religion.

Indeed.

What I was saying there was really just me having a rant at jmfcst there, not attempting to make any generalisations or the likes.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #535 on: November 04, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »

Can you all take the religion pissing contest to general discussion? I for one have no interest in reading this crap here.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #536 on: November 04, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »

Can you all take the religion pissing contest to general discussion? I for one have no interest in reading this crap here.

Amen.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #537 on: November 04, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »

then maybe this thread should stop attempting to crucify those that oppose gay marriage and it wouldn't turn into such
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #538 on: November 04, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »

then maybe this thread should stop attempting to crucify those that oppose gay marriage and it wouldn't turn into such

where do you find the courage?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #539 on: November 04, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »

1 No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry
   whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods,

oh, I am not going to stop you from doing what you what.  go ahead and marry ten men...just don't ask me to recognize it

No one cares if YOU recognize it or not.  Or even LIKE it.

What's important is that the LAW recognizes it.  You know, the simple dignity of being able to pass on property without it being unfairly taxed by the government.  Or being able to visit someone in the hospital.

I don't understand why people are so fervently opposed to THAT, that they don't even care about pretending it's about the institution of marriage and instead fight against any sort of recognition, any sort of "favor."

That's precisely why I support civil unions by-and-large, because every person has a right to be cared for and loved and a right to care and love no matter their sexual orientation.  Just because I may not agree with their choice doesn't mean they're any less entitled to the same rights as I do.

As for same-sex marriage, what I said in a post earlier in this thread needs clarification.  I don't support it per se, but I feel I don't have a right to discriminate against it with the "Bible" excuse, because we, as Christians, haven't exactly lived up to what the Bible also says about marriage, and I'm talking about DIVORCE.  Its a matter of trying to take the plank out of your eye when i have a log in mine.  So, I don't like gay marriage, and I probably never will, but one thing I have always believed when I point a finger at my good friend, I have three fingers pointing right back at me.  If I were only to open those three fingers and extend the hand of good fellowship and aide to my brothers and sisters.  I guess what I'm trying to get at is I believe gay marriage is wrong, but divorce is equally as wrong, so until we, as Christians, get that plank called divorce out of our eye, we can't see clearly to erradicate gay marriage from the global discussion.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #540 on: November 04, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »

What's important is that the LAW recognizes it.  You know, the simple dignity of being able to pass on property without it being unfairly taxed by the government.  Or being able to visit someone in the hospital.

That's precisely why I support civil unions by-and-large, because every person has a right to be cared for and loved and a right to care and love no matter their sexual orientation.  Just because I may not agree with their choice doesn't mean they're any less entitled to the same rights as I do.

As for same-sex marriage, what I said in a post earlier in this thread needs clarification.  I don't support it per se, but I feel I don't have a right to discriminate against it with the "Bible" excuse, because we, as Christians, haven't exactly lived up to what the Bible also says about marriage, and I'm talking about DIVORCE.  Its a matter of trying to take the plank out of your eye when i have a log in mine.  So, I don't like gay marriage, and I probably never will, but one thing I have always believed when I point a finger at my good friend, I have three fingers pointing right back at me.  If I were only to open those three fingers and extend the hand of good fellowship and aide to my brothers and sisters.  I guess what I'm trying to get at is I believe gay marriage is wrong, but divorce is equally as wrong, so until we, as Christians, get that plank called divorce out of our eye, we can't see clearly to erradicate gay marriage from the global discussion.

Some of you may rag on Okie for some of his views on this matter, but trust me folks his views on this issue are WAAAAY better than most other Oklahoma social conservatives. Trust me.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #541 on: November 04, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »

That's a very thoughtful post.

One question I still have though: If you can accept the arguments in favor of civil unions, and you clearly explained your reasoning for that, how can you not support marriage?

Basically, do you believe in the seperation of church and state? If yes, I challenge you to find one argument against full state recognition of marriage. The state cannot recognize religious arguments, and if it does, it is clearly discriminating against people who hold different religious beliefs or none at all.

Any church should be able to marry whoever they want, based on whatever crazy rules they want. That's their business, and they're free to do it.

But the state has no business in playing that game, the state is there to provide worldy representation in a fair and objective manner. Discrminating against two consenting adults that happen to be of the same sex simply isn't acceptable.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #542 on: November 04, 2009, 06:21:14 PM »

That's a very thoughtful post.

One question I still have though: If you can accept the arguments in favor of civil unions, and you clearly explained your reasoning for that, how can you not support marriage?

Basically, do you believe in the seperation of church and state? If yes, I challenge you to find one argument against full state recognition of marriage. The state cannot recognize religious arguments, and if it does, it is clearly discriminating against people who hold different religious beliefs or none at all.

Any church should be able to marry whoever they want, based on whatever crazy rules they want. That's their business, and they're free to do it.

But the state has no business in playing that game, the state is there to provide worldy representation in a fair and objective manner. Discrminating against two consenting adults that happen to be of the same sex simply isn't acceptable.

Well, remember what I said a long time ago, I'm warming to it, it may take some time for me to get "used" to it.  I do believe in SC&S, and I'm warming to it.  Those are just my Oklahoma roots talking.  I do have my own mind on a lot of things and this is becoming one of them.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #543 on: November 04, 2009, 06:26:34 PM »

Franzl, this has nothing to do with separation of church and state. And even so, that argument would side with the church. The state is interfering with religion's right to define marriage, therefore, the state needs to abandon marriage.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #544 on: November 04, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »

Franzl, this has nothing to do with separation of church and state. And even so, that argument would side with the church. The state is interfering with religion's right to define marriage, therefore, the state needs to abandon marriage.

Oh even better, I'd love for the state to abandon the concept of marriage, and perhaps issue civil unions to any adult couple, whether heterosexual or homosexual.

But even as it is, the state is not interfering with religion's right to define marriage in any way. Churches have the freedom to recognize whichever marriages they want to. For all I care, they can even deny interracial marriages. That's none of my business.

This is very clearly an issue of seperation of church and state, as the church shouldn't have any say about state policy in regards to unions between two consenting adults.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #545 on: November 04, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »

Oh even better, I'd love for the state to abandon the concept of marriage, and perhaps issue civil unions to any adult couple, whether heterosexual or homosexual.

But even as it is, the state is not interfering with religion's right to define marriage in any way. Churches have the freedom to recognize whichever marriages they want to. For all I care, they can even deny interracial marriages. That's none of my business.

This is very clearly an issue of seperation of church and state, as the church shouldn't have any say about state policy in regards to unions between two consenting adults.

The state has no right to regulate what contracts individuals can and cannot enter. I don't care if they are straight or gay. I don't care if they are just two or three friends, hermaphrodites, that just want to have a financial bonding. The state has no right to dictate the terms of said contract, and furthermore, no right to define it. Especially in this circumstance, when it is a clearly religious subject.

It's not just a church issue. Trust me. This is an act of the state intruding on religious grounds. Marriage derives from religion and has integrated into our culture. That doesn't mean our government can define it one way or the other.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #546 on: November 04, 2009, 07:51:02 PM »

The problem with you liberals is I hear someone say: I am for same sex marriage.

My response is: Okay, I'm not.

I say: I am against same sex marriage.

Your response is: OMG BIGOT OMG CAVEMAN HOW DARE YOU SO HEARTLESS BOO FRICKIN HOO@@@!

Naso, the problem with you is that you are incapable of serious thought.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #547 on: November 04, 2009, 08:12:16 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2009, 08:21:40 PM by Lunar »

I am one of the most vocal supporters of gay rights on the forum, and that's certainly not how I view opponents of gay marriage whatsoever.  

Naso is actually right though Xahar,even if it's  just a coincidence.   That is part of our problem....it was not a problem in Maine as far as I am aware, which ran a very sympathetic, logical, and straight-forward campaign messaging-wise, but the white [and you're not white, I know] liberal activists in CA especially hurt the campaign by focusing too much on themselves instead of reaching out to people who have doubts....  and the "white" part is very important to note since the entire campaign  in 2008 was focused on themselves when there really wasn't much of a danger of poor turnout among the No On Prop 8 faithful due to the presidential election

If Maine has proven anything to me, it's proven that the campaigns have to acknowledge the legitimacy of doubts over institutional homosexuality touching children, but shift the burden of proof of the negative.  I mean, how can gay marriage BANS argue that the existing law is going to do something which isn't already happening under the existing law time after time?

Far too many gay rights activists don't understand the viewpoints of people who disagree, and thus are unable to persuade.  Step one would be not calling it gay marriage or calling themselves gay activists, but whatchagonnado?  As Nate Silver has  pointed out, activists should be addressing everything in terms of "same-sex marriage ban" in cases where the populace is potentially rejecting an existing law, in order to frame the rights perspective properly

if any of that makes sense
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #548 on: November 04, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »

The state has no right to regulate what contracts individuals can and cannot enter. I don't care if they are straight or gay. I don't care if they are just two or three friends, hermaphrodites, that just want to have a financial bonding. The state has no right to dictate the terms of said contract, and furthermore, no right to define it. Especially in this circumstance, when it is a clearly religious subject.

But didn't the state dictate who can or cannot enter into contracts with these marriage bans? They have effectively told gays they cannot join into civil contracts on the same terms as heterosexuals. I am all for getting government out of the marriage business and changing the government's definition of "marriage" into civil unions for ALL. Then religious organizations can define marriage on their own terms. But until that day comes when the state doesn't issue marriage licenses, they must extend that right EQUALLY to all of it's residents (and please don't start up the bullsh**t about how gays can get married as long its of the opposite sex and blah blah blah, unless you really believe homosexuality is a choice in which case you are deluded).
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #549 on: November 04, 2009, 08:50:27 PM »

Hey, does anyone know what the composition of the electorate for this election was in Maine? I'm trying to figure out if this would have failed last year or if gay marriage could come back next year.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies