DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 02:43:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40541 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: April 30, 2021, 05:43:27 PM »
« edited: April 30, 2021, 05:45:25 PM by TexasGurl »

Great news! So good to see such divisive legislation being denied. Now we can focus on real issues like UBI, or reforming our health care system, or bringing our troops home.

Because all those things are going to happen with Republican control of Congress.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #851 on: April 30, 2021, 05:47:52 PM »

I'll be donating to Manchin's Republican opponent in 2024. He's the most evil person in the US Senate. Worse than Cruz, Hawley, Sinema, and McConnell combined.

In a tied Senate the Rs can join with Sinema or Manchin to block confirmation of unqualified Judges and Cabinet, they haven't filled any judge's but Cabinet they have, that's the consequences of a Power sharing agreement, Joe Manchin have already blocked cabinet members

If they get a clear Majority in the Senate 53 they can get rid of Fillibuster after 2022
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #852 on: April 30, 2021, 06:06:12 PM »

Great news! So good to see such divisive legislation being denied. Now we can focus on real issues like UBI, or reforming our health care system, or bringing our troops home.

DC Statehood is only "divisive" to people who don't believe in America anyway and have no interest in solving any of its problems.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #853 on: April 30, 2021, 06:38:11 PM »

I'll be donating to Manchin's Republican opponent in 2024. He's the most evil person in the US Senate. Worse than Cruz, Hawley, Sinema, and McConnell combined.

🤡🤡🤡
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #854 on: April 30, 2021, 07:13:41 PM »

This is already starting to be framed as "he supports the idea of DC statehood but wants to try a constitutional amendment first."

Obviously the Manchin Amendment won't get close to the necessary 2/3 vote in Congress, which will give him cover to say "I tried, but given Republicans' refusal to do the right thing for partisan reasons, and considering AG Garland's updated opinion, I now have no choice but to back this initiative through a regular bill."

#ManchinCycle
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #855 on: April 30, 2021, 07:52:21 PM »

What is Manchin even talking. A constitutional amendment isnt needed to create a state because it is already gives congress the power to create a new state.

If Manchin wants to have this debate then I demand we have a constitutional amendment on the legitimacy of every state except the original 13. Why is there 2 Dakotas, is West Virginia even legitimate, and why did we pay for Florida?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #856 on: April 30, 2021, 08:10:44 PM »

Y'all get taken for a ride every time he does his triangulation to preserve his image. Of course voting with the D's isn't good enough when it comes to statehood.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #857 on: April 30, 2021, 08:15:38 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2021, 08:25:21 PM by brucejoel99 »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0P4ijfVkAEcfmJ?format=jpg&name=small

Y'all get taken for a ride every time he does his triangulation to preserve his image. Of course voting with the D's isn't good enough when it comes to statehood.

Say it again louder for the people in the back.

Seriously, though, if after everything which we've already been through, one somehow still can't bring themselves to admit that the Manchin Cycle is literally just *a thing that exists*, Idk what to tell you anymore.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #858 on: April 30, 2021, 08:19:02 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2021, 08:25:36 PM by brucejoel99 »

Also:

Is there a way DC gets 2 senators without becoming a state?

It would take a constitutional amendment and might even need to get over the entrenched clause. Practically impossible.

I never considered the potential equal suffrage implications, but now that I think about it, yeah, I'm sure some butthurt right-winger would've made a court case about it had the D.C. Voting Rights Amendment ever been ratified.
Each State would still have the same number of Senators, and the provision was clearly intended to prevent the Senate being switched to some other form of apportionment.  I think it would survive any court challenge and if not, Statehood would remain an option.  However, politically, there's zero chance of the Amendment being revived by Congress, let alone ratified by the States. (At most, I could see perhaps Manchin insisting a revival be tried first, with him supporting DC Statehood if not enough Republicans agreed to resend it to the States.)

Ernest is Nostradamus confirmed.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #859 on: April 30, 2021, 08:46:07 PM »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0P4ijfVkAEcfmJ?format=jpg&name=small

Say it again louder for the people in the back.

Seriously, though, if after everything which we've already been through, one somehow still can't bring themselves to admit that the Manchin Cycle is literally just *a thing that exists*, Idk what to tell you anymore.

People just love to pessimistic for some reason, and it’s annoying af and also a problem for our country
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #860 on: April 30, 2021, 08:54:01 PM »

Joe Manchin is a worthless piece of sh**t
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #861 on: April 30, 2021, 09:18:54 PM »

The Manchin Cycle looks to be verging on a cult at this point.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #862 on: April 30, 2021, 09:26:56 PM »

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #863 on: April 30, 2021, 10:18:51 PM »

The Manchin Cycle looks to be verging on a cult at this point.
But don’t you know that Joe Manchin saying he won’t do a thing means he’s sold on it.

I know because I keep reposting a picture.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #864 on: April 30, 2021, 10:20:07 PM »

that implies this is gonna start over again, which I'd assume this specific issue wouldn't
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #865 on: April 30, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »

The constitutional amendment approach to giving DC representation in congress was already tried. Only 16 states ratified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_Voting_Rights_Amendment
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #866 on: April 30, 2021, 10:25:53 PM »

that implies this is gonna start over again, which I'd assume this specific issue wouldn't

52. Puerto Rico
53. Mariana Islands
54. Virgin Islands
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #867 on: April 30, 2021, 10:33:19 PM »

The constitutional amendment approach to giving DC representation in congress was already tried. Only 16 states ratified.

Even if some ERA case caused the Supreme Court to rule that amendment deadlines are unconstitutional (not happening), there are only about 10 more states that could plausibly ratify that one, definitely not 20+.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #868 on: April 30, 2021, 10:44:00 PM »

If you actually read King Joseph’s drivel, he’s not giving himself an out. He’s not even saying he necessarily thinks it’s unconstitutional, he;a saying it will go to the Supreme Court so it’s not worth doing without an amendment.

Also, he doesn’t appear to know how federal amendments work, because he’s apparently under the impression it’s a referendum. Or more likely just lying, because the one through-line in his career is that Joe Manchin will never ever allow Joe Manchin to become even marginally less important for any reason.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #869 on: April 30, 2021, 10:57:22 PM »

Even if some ERA case caused the Supreme Court to rule that amendment deadlines are unconstitutional (not happening), there are only about 10 more states that could plausibly ratify that one, definitely not 20+.

It's a moot point since it's obviously not getting 38 states, but the deadline is in the text of the amendment, and so it can't be extended.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #870 on: May 01, 2021, 01:44:58 AM »

52. Puerto Rico
53. Mariana Islands
54. Virgin Islands
Stop dreaming if D's get 53 Seats DC Statehood would only be enacted not PR statehood, there are moderates opposing PR Tester Sinema and Manchin, Manchin supports DC STATEHOOD not PR due to proximity to WVA

Just like Feinstein put the breaks on Crt packing

If D's get 53 votes after 2023 Manchin will vote for DC Statehood, only
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #871 on: May 01, 2021, 02:08:03 AM »

It would be good if people read the article instead of just the headline.

Manchin's reason for opposing it is that he doesn't think legislation is a constitutional solution, not because he wants to vote no, unless I missed it. That leaves the door open to Schumer and others making the case that it is, likely with hearings. This is potentially laying the path for him to change his mind later. 

You're reaching.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #872 on: May 01, 2021, 02:51:53 AM »

I'm confused why CNN and MSNBC seem to be ignoring Machin's statement entirely. Whether the believe him or not, it's the kind of thing that gets reported pretty prominently.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #873 on: May 01, 2021, 07:18:01 AM »

It would be good if people read the article instead of just the headline.

Manchin's reason for opposing it is that he doesn't think legislation is a constitutional solution, not because he wants to vote no, unless I missed it. That leaves the door open to Schumer and others making the case that it is, likely with hearings. This is potentially laying the path for him to change his mind later. 

You're reaching.

True, but so are 100% Doomers. Truth lies somewhere in between.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #874 on: May 01, 2021, 03:52:47 PM »

Racist assholes
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies