DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:31:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40844 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: April 30, 2021, 03:38:17 PM »

So now we all think Manchin is going to play a bit a 4D chess?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #826 on: April 30, 2021, 03:54:01 PM »

I mean if you read what he’s saying he seems to be implying DC statehood should be held as a referendum vote in 2022 which could fuel dem midterm turnout. Resulting in Dem congressional gains in 2022. Boom 4d chess ♟😤🧐
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #827 on: April 30, 2021, 03:55:41 PM »

No, he's just performing. He notably isn't opposed to DC statehood conceptually, just can't support the bill as it's currently written because he's not convinced it's constitutional.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #828 on: April 30, 2021, 04:01:34 PM »

People who don’t pay attention or are in denial actually believe the Manchin cycle meme.

The reality is that he barely plays checkers. Just like with the filibuster, when he goes to the papers, it’s to defend his strongly held position that Joe Manchin’s personal privileges are the key to democracy (far more important than voting), and he doesn’t move.

He ‘caves’ when he makes a nonsensical objection at the last minute to extort a bribe. eg, holding up the Senate for hours on the Covid relief for no reason before relenting and magically his wife gets appointed to a no-show federal board job weeks later or pulling the same trick as a state senator in WV on a budget to fix his uncle’s Physical Therapist lisensing issue.
I don’t doubt he’s convinced himself of his bs about the wise men of the Senate and the rules of such being sacrosanct, because people don’t like to picture themselves as villains. But the reality is that the man is a crabber Boss Hog.

But, because nothing that won’t pass won’t come up for a vote anyway, people will be insisting I’m just being a doomer until the end of time, even as we watch nothing non-reconciliation happen this term.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #829 on: April 30, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »

No, he's just performing. He notably isn't opposed to DC statehood conceptually, just can't support the bill as it's currently written because he's not convinced it's constitutional.
The man a) has a law degree and b) isn’t a moron

There is no way he actually believes this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #830 on: April 30, 2021, 04:03:32 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2021, 04:07:57 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

DC Statehood is not happening, he already said that he doesn't want weaken the Filibuster it's not happening this term just like Crt packing isn't they don't even have 40 votes for Crt Packing

If D's weaken the Filibuster, the Rs can retaliate and try to block along with Sinema or Manchin all or some of Bidens Cabinet and judges, what does the word you need Unanimous consent for rules of debate mean to people.

In the Senate rules of debate means unanimous can consent not Majority rule.

Next term I think D's will get 53 votes and keep the H and try again but as long as Covid is here, most Senators want bipartisanship
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #831 on: April 30, 2021, 04:15:23 PM »

It would be good if people read the article instead of just the headline.

Manchin's reason for opposing it is that he doesn't think legislation is a constitutional solution, not because he wants to vote no, unless I missed it. That leaves the door open to Schumer and others making the case that it is, likely with hearings. This is potentially laying the path for him to change his mind later. 
I read the article. Keep making excuses for Manchin.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #832 on: April 30, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »

Manchin's reason for opposing it is that he doesn't think legislation is a constitutional solution, not because he wants to vote no, unless I missed it. That leaves the door open to Schumer and others making the case that it is, likely with hearings. This is potentially laying the path for him to change his mind later. 
No one actually believes that DC statehood is unconstitutional. Claims that it is are exclusively of the ‘I don’t want to do it, but can’t say why in public’ variety.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #833 on: April 30, 2021, 04:32:59 PM »

I read the article. Keep making excuses for Manchin.

What choice do I have? I have to live in hope. If he wanted to say DC Statehood was a non-starter and he'd never support it, he could have. I know this could well end in tears.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #834 on: April 30, 2021, 04:33:35 PM »

No one actually believes that DC statehood is unconstitutional. Claims that it is are exclusively of the ‘I don’t want to do it, but can’t say why in public’ variety.

It's not necessary that he believes what he said on the radio show.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #835 on: April 30, 2021, 04:37:30 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2021, 04:41:47 PM by Peak Harry »

"Hey political party in power, here's a bill that will permanently increase your power relative to the other party, it's totally constitutional, AND you get to have the moral high ground legitimately, to the point where you'll be forever remembered as immoral if you don't do it!"

No political party in the world is ever going to pass up a chance like that. It may take some negotiating, some grandstanding, but every single organization in the world would ultimately do it. You know Republicans would have by Feburary. Democrats will get this done.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #836 on: April 30, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »

I’ve been more optimistic on Manchin than most but this is too far for me to believe this is 4D chess I’m sorry.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #837 on: April 30, 2021, 04:44:09 PM »

I’ve been more optimistic on Manchin than most but this is too far for me to believe this is 4D chess I’m sorry.

He's not playing any kind of chess. He's doing his usual attention whoring #ManchinCycle act.

Why even mention what AGs said 40-60 years ago if he's not fishing for the current AG to put an opinion out there?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #838 on: April 30, 2021, 04:47:48 PM »

Lolll desperately wanna hear the “Manchin is playing chess” crowd.

I may have been dead wrong on Georgia. But this was crystal clear.

It’s also reprehensible. period. This kills the bill for a generation.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #839 on: April 30, 2021, 04:50:29 PM »

"Hey political party in power, here's a bill that will permanently increase your power relative to the other party, it's totally constitutional, AND you get to have the moral high ground legitimately, to the point where you'll be forever remembered as immoral if you don't do it!"

No political party in the world is ever going to pass up a chance like that. It may take some negotiating, some grandstanding, but every single organization in the world would ultimately do it. You know Republicans would have by Feburary. Democrats will get this done.

VenMo bet? $50 for me if 2022 midterms end with No state added. $250 for
You.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #840 on: April 30, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »

Why not 2023 after D's win the the Trifecta again, aren't you optimistic D's are gonna net gain seats, but we know you say D's are gonna lose the H, but that's not guarenteed
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #841 on: April 30, 2021, 05:02:54 PM »

I know why Manchin is doing, it's obvious that D's want to Crt pack by adding new states and territories, but 2023 is a different matter if D's net 53/47 Seats WI, PA, and OH, they would have the votes to at least add DC statehood

PPP has Nelson, Ryan and Evers leading or tied and Fetterman and Hassan can win, I only trust a PPP poll in NH or a Change poll. WARNOCK will have to fight his way they a runoff then HR 1 and DC Statehood can finally pass.

But with a tied Senate it can't.

The Rs lost the H last time by 5 M votes, it can easily remain D again

D's lead on the Generic ballot 47/4#
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #842 on: April 30, 2021, 05:07:32 PM »

Why not 2023 after D's win the the Trifecta again, aren't you optimistic D's are gonna net gain seats, but we know you say D's are gonna lose the H, but that's not guarenteed

Jesus give it up. ZERO chance and I do mean Zero that the trifecta survives
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #843 on: April 30, 2021, 05:12:23 PM »

Jesus give it up. ZERO chance and I do mean Zero that the trifecta survives

I agree with you iin.oart that Biden is corrupted and deserves to lose because the Biden Justice Dept confiscated the Guiliani Computer that had Hunter Ukraine probe, but voters are voting for Checking Congress, and Congress is on the line whom isn't connected with Hunter Biden

If McCarthy becomes Speaker he will investigate Hunter Biden like Boehner did Benghazi, but Ds lead on Generic ballot 47)42 , it's not over til it's over
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #844 on: April 30, 2021, 05:22:45 PM »

You.

Not interested in anything like that.

Even if Manchin hadn't left himself a gaping out, this wouldn't be over. There will be lots of dealings and political pressures, carrots and sticks. Let the process play out.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #845 on: April 30, 2021, 05:23:50 PM »

You.

Not interested in anything like that.

Even if Manchin hadn't left himself a gaping out, this wouldn't be over. There will be lots of dealings and political pressures, carrots and sticks. Let the process play out.

This certainly isn't over. It's just not as certain as I believed. And the doomers are still being insufferable as they always are.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #846 on: April 30, 2021, 05:33:26 PM »

Well if he thinks it needs a constitutional amendment to happen, then he won't find it constitutional however it's written.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #847 on: April 30, 2021, 05:40:59 PM »

The only Constitutional Amendment Rs support is making Eleanor Norton a voting Rep without the Senators with Lisa Murkowski has introduced
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #848 on: April 30, 2021, 05:41:53 PM »

Great news! So good to see such divisive legislation being denied. Now we can focus on real issues like UBI, or reforming our health care system, or bringing our troops home.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #849 on: April 30, 2021, 05:42:31 PM »

I'll be donating to Manchin's Republican opponent in 2024. He's the most evil person in the US Senate. Worse than Cruz, Hawley, Sinema, and McConnell combined.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies