2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:39:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 89657 times)
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« on: November 18, 2020, 11:13:26 PM »

I drew a Southern California map that is a) fair b) reflects COIs most of the time and c) just so happens to reduce Republican representation. I think the commission might try something like this out:

So Partisan nonsense, got it. A fair map would try to make representation closer to the voter split.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 12:19:01 AM »

Oh God, the pain.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 12:20:20 AM »

I drew a Southern California map that is a) fair b) reflects COIs most of the time and c) just so happens to reduce Republican representation. I think the commission might try something like this out:

So Partisan nonsense, got it. A fair map would try to make representation closer to the voter split.

Look, I'm just trying to figure out how the commission is going to deal with OC since we all know they're going to have a Dem-bias. Huntington Beach+Long Beach and Southeast OC in with Escondido seems like the most workable solution.
If you're admitting it's not really fair, I've got no problem with it, I would expect the commission to cut our seats.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 12:22:54 AM »

[quote author=LordDrachir link=topic=373117.msg7780772#msg7780772 date=1605763220
If you're admitting it's not really fair, I've got no problem with it, I would expect the commission to cut our seats.

I am. My whole goal was to get the GOP down to 2 Southern California districts while keeping districts relatively compact.
[/quote]
At least it's a pretty map that foretells our soon.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:57:05 PM »

Are you concerned about the Fullerton, Irvine, Oceanside/San Clemente, and Escondido seats flipping?

Fullerton, no way. Irvine and Oceanside are even stronger for Biden than they were for HRC, so no. Escondido, maybe, but a swing seat is better than an R sink IMO.
Swing seats will probably trend D over the years, so it's better for y'all. Any of y'all know where Trump increased his vote?
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »

Are you concerned about the Fullerton, Irvine, Oceanside/San Clemente, and Escondido seats flipping?

Fullerton, no way. Irvine and Oceanside are even stronger for Biden than they were for HRC, so no. Escondido, maybe, but a swing seat is better than an R sink IMO.
Swing seats will probably trend D over the years, so it's better for y'all. Any of y'all know where Trump increased his vote?
That band of four districts in North OC. HB and Westminster trended toward Trump, while NB and LB trended toward Biden in the Porter district.
Ah. I'm just shocked he picked up 3%
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »

That band of four districts in North OC. HB and Westminster trended toward Trump, while NB and LB trended toward Biden in the Porter district.
Ah. I'm just shocked he picked up 3%
What do you mean by that?
Statewide, he went from 31% to 34%
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 03:50:46 PM »

The commission looks fair to me no way that map passes. Also it doesn't look like there's a Hispanic majority district in OC which you can easily make.
I think one the republicans on the commission worked or donated big to Planned Parenthood, so it won't be fair.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 03:54:19 PM »

The commission looks fair to me no way that map passes. Also it doesn't look like there's a Hispanic majority district in OC which you can easily make.
I think one the republicans on the commission worked or donated big to Planned Parenthood, so it won't be fair.

A Berkely woman who donated to NARAL and Sierra Club. There's also I think a black Republican from West LA.
Ah, that should've been a disqualifier right off. Well, we're screwed, it'll be fun
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 03:58:46 PM »

A Berkely woman who donated to NARAL and Sierra Club. There's also I think a black Republican from West LA.
Ah, that should've been a disqualifier right off. Well, we're screwed, it'll be fun

Still beats letting Sacramento Dems draw everything, no?
Nah, because now they get to claim it's unbiased map, and that republicans dominate redistricting so much, when dems still get Cali.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »

Still beats letting Sacramento Dems draw everything, no?
Nah, because now they get to claim it's unbiased map, and that republicans dominate redistricting so much, when dems still get Cali.

A Sacramento map would eliminate everyone but McCarthy. Its not hard to do. Republicans probably get five or six seats via commission.
Got a point, jesus.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 01:22:38 PM »

I think the entire commission is stacked to all just be basically Democrats? even if some of them are registered Indy or Republican.
Mhm
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 06:58:16 PM »

I was bored and decided to make some Central California districts.

How to delete another's post?
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 10:15:11 AM »

From what we now know, how many Trump districts do y'all think are in the map? 5? 7? 9?

Started putting it into VRA. Issa goes from Trump+8 to Biden+6, Young Kim goes from Biden+10 to Biden+8, Steel goes from Biden+2 to Trump+0. So in OC/SD, Issa flips to Biden but Steel (by like 700 votes) flips to Trump.

What happens to Garcia, Porter, and Levin?

Garcia: Biden+10 -> Biden+12

Porter: Biden+11 -> Biden+14
Levin: Biden+13 -> Biden+11

Porter and Levin should be good. Levin moving right moves Issa left.
Anddddddd out of state opportunities once again take the forefront.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 12:04:26 AM »

WTF are those giant desert seats, by god, they're so bloody ugly. I always thought our current map had some wonky looking seats, but by god, at least you can actually have straight lines.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2021, 01:55:47 PM »

Christy Smith lost the current CA-25 by a razor-thin margin. She should be able to win a CA-25 nested within LA County with relative ease. (provided she is main Dem candidate)
It's only 3 points more D, I strongly doubt she would even win a Biden midterm
3 points more D is enough to make Garcia disfavored even in a Biden midterm.
That presumes the cycle is less than 3 points more R, I imagine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies