OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:53:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 187602 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: August 21, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »

Schiavoni has nothing else to run for. As he said, it's Governor or Ryan's seat. Dettelbach would probably beat him in the AG primary -- he out raised all the Gubernatorial candidates and would likely get an Obama endorsement. His only option is Treasurer, really, where we still don't have a candidate.

Maybe I misread Pillich's fundraising, but my understanding was her small dollar donors contributed from across the state, just not outside of it. I wouldn't call that localized. She's the closest to running as an insurgent.

I dont think Dettelbach defeats Schiavoni in a primary.

Pillich has decent small dollar fundraising across the state, but the bulk of her money came from SW Ohio. At least from what I saw.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #751 on: August 21, 2017, 10:14:57 PM »

I disagree, but the point is largely moot because he shouldn't drop down the ticket given his past statements.

The surprising strength of Pillich's haul shouldn't be underestimated. Everyone thought she was going to come in dead last, but she came out swinging. Grass roots support is going to be pivotal. I do hope she's on the ticket in some way, if only to promote better geographic diversity.

Cordray from Columbus for Governor, Whaley from Dayton for Lieutenant Governor, Dettelbach from Cleveland for Attorney General, Clyde from Kent for Secretary of State, Space from Dover for Auditor, and Pillich from Cincinnati for Treasurer would be a strong line up. So long as the ticket doesn't repeat Strickland's fatal flaw and pays NEOH the attention it deserves.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #752 on: August 21, 2017, 11:26:24 PM »

Just noticed Cinci Mayor John Cranley endorsed Nan Whaley on Friday. Probably not that good for Whaley, TBH.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #753 on: August 22, 2017, 08:59:32 AM »

So has the door completely closed on any chance of Nina Turner 2018?

It closed in 2014:
Jon Husted   1,811,020   59.8%
Nina Turner   1,074,475   35.5%            
Kevin Knedler   141,292   4.7%

Wasn't her lose attributed to low voter turnout and Kasich's popularity?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #754 on: August 22, 2017, 09:00:13 AM »

So has the door completly closed on any chance of Nina Turner 2018?

The door was never opened.

This. Nina could never get elected statewide. Not even in a primary. Especially not after 2016. And most Ohio Bernie people I know agree.
Is she unpopular in Ohio? If so why?
Rjjr77
« Reply #755 on: August 22, 2017, 09:18:03 AM »

So has the door completely closed on any chance of Nina Turner 2018?

It closed in 2014:
Jon Husted   1,811,020   59.8%
Nina Turner   1,074,475   35.5%            
Kevin Knedler   141,292   4.7%

Wasn't her lose attributed to low voter turnout and Kasich's popularity?

haha no. her loss was attributed to the fact shes a terrible politician and Husted is a very good one.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #756 on: August 22, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »

So has the door completly closed on any chance of Nina Turner 2018?

The door was never opened.

This. Nina could never get elected statewide. Not even in a primary. Especially not after 2016. And most Ohio Bernie people I know agree.
Is she unpopular in Ohio? If so why?

Way too far to the left. Sherrod's only electable because he's been around forever and has a very good personal brand. Nina tanked her brand even within the party after she very seriously considered taking the VP slot for Stein. The only Ohio supporters she has left in Ohio are the most hardcore Berniecrats, and Bernie was never popular here because he too was way too far to the left for the state. (And Brown endorsed Hillary.)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #757 on: August 22, 2017, 09:12:03 PM »

Turns out Kasich has been working on a bipartisan healthcare plan with Gov. Hickenlooper of Colorado. They hope to present it to the Senate as soon as next week. This comes at something of a politically odd time for Kasich, as the State Senate just voted to override six of his eleven vetos to the budget.
Rjjr77
« Reply #758 on: August 23, 2017, 07:03:42 AM »

It's as if Kasich is pivoting towards national politics and no longer cares about Ohio politics

he hasnt cared about ohio since 2015
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #759 on: August 23, 2017, 07:54:04 AM »

A lot of little interesting things out today.

Cordray had an op-ed in the New York Times; Cleveland City Councilman Jeff Johnson is working on a 2018 ballot initiative for a $15 minimum wage; Yvette Simpson has earned the endorsement of former Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory, Cranley is screwed; and Dettelbach has earned the endorsement of all 4 of Ohio's Democratic Congressman, Schiavoni would put them all in an odd spot were he to drop down to run for AG.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #760 on: August 23, 2017, 02:56:51 PM »

I'm hearing Leland has ruled out running for Treasurer. A real damn shame.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #761 on: August 23, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »

F***
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #762 on: August 23, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2017, 11:38:33 PM by BuckeyeNut »

F***

Same, really. I'm just glad we've fielded credible candidates in both the down-ticket apportionment board positions. I suppose he could still be Sutton or Whaley's Lieutenant Governor candidate since they need to file with someone.

There's also now, evidently, polling for Cordray/Beatty, which seems like an awful idea, given its Columbus-centric nature.
Rjjr77
« Reply #763 on: August 24, 2017, 07:59:46 AM »

F***

Same, really. I'm just glad we've fielded credible candidates in both the down-ticket apportionment board positions. I suppose he could still be Sutton or Whaley's Lieutenant Governor candidate since they need to file with someone.

There's also now, evidently, polling for Cordray/Beatty, which seems like an awful idea, given its Columbus-centric nature.
Beatty? They are really desperate to have a black LG, that's a weak ticket.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #764 on: August 24, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2017, 08:23:20 AM by BuckeyeNut »

F***

Well, specifically, a Black woman. Though I agree, it's weak. I get the impetus, though, since it looks like the only Black candidate on the ticket is going to the candidate for Treasurer. (The failed Cinci Mayoral candidate.)

In Other News: The Springer rumor mills keep chugging away, with Springer appearing at a Labor Day event in support of Fight For Fifteen; frmr Gov. Dick Celeste's son has joined Sutton's campaign as a co-chair; and frmr State Senator Lou Gentile has landed at Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease, where he was welcomed by frmr State Senate Pres. Tome Niehouse. Vorys is the same law firm frmr Congressman Zack Space landed at after beeing booted from office, and his current place of work as he runs statewide. Me thinks we haven't seen the last of Lou Gentile. (Thank God.)
Rjjr77
« Reply #765 on: August 24, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »

F***

Well, specifically, a Black woman. Though I agree, it's weak. I get the impetus, though, since it looks like the only Black candidate on the ticket is going to the candidate for Treasurer. (The failed Cinci Mayoral candidate.)

In Other News: The Springer rumor mills keep chugging away, with Springer appearing at a Labor Day event in support of Fight For Fifteen; frmr Gov. Dick Celeste's son has joined Sutton's campaign as a co-chair; and frmr State Senator Lou Gentile has landed at Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease, where he was welcomed by frmr State Senate Pres. Tome Niehouse. Vorys is the same law firm frmr Congressman Zack Space landed at after beeing booted from office, and his current place of work as he runs statewide. Me thinks we haven't seen the last of Lou Gentile. (Thank God.)

I mean they could go recruit Paula Hicks-Hudson, Emily Sykes or Alicia Reece if they are that desperate for a black female, at least bring geographical diversity to a ticket
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #766 on: August 24, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »

F***

I mean they could go recruit Paula Hicks-Hudson, Emily Sykes or Alicia Reece if they are that desperate for a black female, at least bring geographical diversity to a ticket

Or even Marica Fudge, who has a great personality.

I really don't know what to think about Cordray anymore. One day I hear he's in, one day I hear he's out. There seem to be a lot of people endorsing Whaley now, which I think points to one of two things. 1) The obvious one, which is he's not getting in and people want Whaley, or 2) He is getting in and there's a strong shadow campaign for her to take the LG spot.

At this point, I am convinced now more than ever that Cordray would be surprisingly weak as a candidate. I hope he doesn't get in.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #767 on: August 24, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »

F***

*snip*

I really hope that was sarcasm Tongue
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #768 on: August 24, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »

F***

*snip*

Did you see her on Colbert back when she was the Chair of the CBC? If she can evoke that on the trail, I'd say she's great.
Rjjr77
« Reply #769 on: August 24, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »

F***

I really don't know what to think about Cordray anymore. One day I hear he's in, one day I hear he's out. There seem to be a lot of people endorsing Whaley now, which I think points to one of two things. 1) The obvious one, which is he's not getting in and people want Whaley, or 2) He is getting in and there's a strong shadow campaign for her to take the LG spot.

At this point, I am convinced now more than ever that Cordray would be surprisingly weak as a candidate. I hope he doesn't get in.

I've said for months I dont think Cordray gets in, I also think if he does its really late and that hurts his campaign badly. We have leaders endorsed already, statewide unions endorsed already, its looking like hes Joe Biden'd himself
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #770 on: August 24, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »

F***

I've said for months I dont think Cordray gets in, I also think if he does its really late and that hurts his campaign badly. We have leaders endorsed already, statewide unions endorsed already, its looking like hes Joe Biden'd himself

If Cordray can clear the field, it won't matter. Didn't hurt Rubio last year.
Rjjr77
« Reply #771 on: August 24, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »

F***

If Cordray can clear the field, it won't matter. Didn't hurt Rubio last year.

I dont see how he clears the field, hes basically made 2 people unemployed by waiting so long... Also Cordray isn't a nationally known incumbent who just spent months running for president, comparing him to Rubio is silly.

I know Ohio elections pretty well, I think there isn't an Ohio poster on here who doesn't think Cordray getting in this late will have dimmed his chances, some people will disagree on HOW much, but I think anyone who knows Ohio knows its crazy late in this state for him to jump in, and it also means he missed a chance to raise big pre-primary funds and that doesn't allow max donors to double up as easily.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #772 on: August 24, 2017, 11:27:59 PM »

I agree with RJ. The only way the field is cleared entirely would be if Sherrod Brown decided to run for Governor instead of Senate. But then you'd see half the field change races, and that's not happening for a multitude of reasons.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #773 on: August 25, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »

F***

*snip*

Did you see her on Colbert back when she was the Chair of the CBC? If she can evoke that on the trail, I'd say she's great.

Oh boy...she really goes the extra mile in treating her staff horribly.  And she has a reputation within ODP (or at least certain circles) for being incredibly difficult to work with and is pretty widely disliked as a result to the point that there were rumors of a serious primary challenge for a few cycles simply b/c of how obnoxious she was to...well...everyone.  It's one thing when you treat your staff horribly (which is really bad, but in politics that's not really taken too seriously outside of said politician's own office), John Kerry, Chuck Hagel, Joe Sestak, Sheila Jackson Lee, Barbara Mikulski, and John Kasich are/were all notorious for this and it never caused them any serious problems.  However, when you're an a**hole to other politicians, donors, and non-staff folks whose support you need and go around treating them like incompetent hired help, then you run into problems. 

I wouldn't put much stock in the Cordray/Beatty rumors.  1) I still don't think Cordray's running for Governor, 2) If he does then he won't pick Beatty as his running-mate, 3) I think LG would be a step down for Beatty even if she was on a winning ticket, so she probably wouldn't accept anyway, 4) Even if Cordrey for some ridiculous reason needed a running-mate from Franklin County (a.k.a. Cordray country Tongue ), it'd be someone like Zach Klein (who actually might make a really good LG pick, the dude's definitely a potential rising star to watch and may well be a top-tier statewide candidate in another cycle or two, although he's really a county/local-level guy right now). 

I suppose the silver lining about Leland not running for Treasurer is that the Republican field is kinda weak and there are definitely other Democrats who could run instead (and still win, especially if Mingo is the Republican nominee).  I doubt Richardson or whatever that joke candidate's name is will be the Democratic nominee.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #774 on: August 25, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »

F***

*snip*

Oh boy...she really goes the extra mile in treating her staff horribly.  And she has a reputation within ODP (or at least certain circles) for being incredibly difficult to work with and is pretty widely disliked as a result to the point that there were rumors of a serious primary challenge for a few cycles simply b/c of how obnoxious she was to...well...everyone.  It's one thing when you treat your staff horribly (which is really bad, but in politics that's not really taken too seriously outside of said politician's own office), John Kerry, Chuck Hagel, Joe Sestak, Sheila Jackson Lee, Barbara Mikulski, and John Kasich are/were all notorious for this and it never caused them any serious problems.  However, when you're an a**hole to other politicians, donors, and non-staff folks whose support you need and go around treating them like incompetent hired help, then you run into problems. 

I wouldn't put much stock in the Cordray/Beatty rumors.  1) I still don't think Cordray's running for Governor, 2) If he does then he won't pick Beatty as his running-mate, 3) I think LG would be a step down for Beatty even if she was on a winning ticket, so she probably wouldn't accept anyway, 4) Even if Cordrey for some ridiculous reason needed a running-mate from Franklin County (a.k.a. Cordray country Tongue ), it'd be someone like Zach Klein (who actually might make a really good LG pick, the dude's definitely a potential rising star to watch and may well be a top-tier statewide candidate in another cycle or two, although he's really a county/local-level guy right now). 

I suppose the silver lining about Leland not running for Treasurer is that the Republican field is kinda weak and there are definitely other Democrats who could run instead (and still win, especially if Mingo is the Republican nominee).  I doubt Richardson or whatever that joke candidate's name is will be the Democratic nominee.

Ah. I had not heard this, and that's a shame. I don't really run in Cuyahoga County circles. Know a bit more about Summit, but that's more local level.

Both you and RJ don't think he's in? Hmm. Wonder what Badger thinks... Klein'll be a good statewide candidate some day -- God knows he wants high office -- but as is, I don't think that's happening until he serves out at least a term as County Prosecutor, and that's not happening until 2024 at the earliest.

I hope Richardson's not the nominee, but I know of no one interested in running for Treasurer. Not to say there isn't anyone, but... And if Cordray isn't getting in, I don't see Pillich dropping down. Her fundraising is too strong. I'm still hoping my sources were wrong about Leland.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies