Terrorist attack on London underground
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:17:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Terrorist attack on London underground
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Terrorist attack on London underground  (Read 10259 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2005, 09:37:36 AM »

…who ever did this are in for a big surprise if they think it’ll rattle the brits.             

Too right, Ben

Those "responsible" have claimed it has sent us Brits into fear and panic. The people of London survived the Blitz. If they think they've got us scared then they can dam well think again cos they ain't

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2005, 09:43:35 AM »

Just been announced that over 30 people were killed
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2005, 09:52:57 AM »

* Aldgate East Station
          at least 7 killed
* King's Cross Station
          at least 21 killed
* Edgware Road Station
          at least 5 killed
* Bus in Tavistock Square
"undetermined number of fatalities" - I think this might be a question of counting body parts.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2005, 09:56:26 AM »

"undetermined number of fatalities" - I think this might be a question of counting body parts.

How many people usually go on the top deck of a double decker bus?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2005, 09:57:38 AM »

…who ever did this are in for a big surprise if they think it’ll rattle the brits.             

Too right, Ben

Those "responsible" have claimed it has sent us Brits into fear and panic. The people of London survived the Blitz. If they think they've got us scared then they can dam well think again cos they ain't

Dave

I have a Brit that works with me here in the states.  I told him that I saw these women the news crews were interviewing as they came out of the tube station, and they were smiling and talking up to the camera.  He goes "That's the ol' British resolve.  Until they start sending V2's at us, nothing is going to stop us from living."  hehehe . . . and he's right.  You guys went through one hell of a time during WWII, yet always managed to keep going.  The same is true in this case.  All the terrorists did today was making their future miserable.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2005, 10:01:44 AM »

How many people usually go on the top deck of a double decker bus?

Reportedly it was a bus owned by a tourist company, so it could be more than a standard passenger bus. And even if its a standard bus, in rush hour on a busy route, buses soon fill up as anybody who uses them on a regular basis knows, so the top could fill up.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2005, 10:05:53 AM »

Reportedly it was a bus owned by a tourist company, so it could be more than a standard passenger bus. And even if its a standard bus, in rush hour on a busy route, buses soon fill up as anybody who uses them on a regular basis knows, so the top could fill up.

Ick
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2005, 10:14:00 AM »

this is terrible...I know a couple of people who are in London right now; I hope they're ok.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2005, 10:17:41 AM »

Apparently the Edgeware explosion involved three trains as there were multiple trains pulled up at the station at the time.

I'm also hearing reports that the Kings X numbers are going to go up  since there are still dead trapped below ground.
Cashcow

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2005, 10:41:30 AM »

That's pretty awful. I have friends over there as well, I hope they are OK.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2005, 10:58:57 AM »

I just want to express my support for the people of London and the U.K., and my outrage at the attacks. Or as Huck would say, Bastards! Angry
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2005, 11:22:25 AM »

Oh my god. My deepest condolenceses go out to all the citizens of the United Kingdom and to the Brits on the forum. Oh my god, I don't know how I could have missed this. Do we know if it's al-Qaeda? Is their a possibility that it could be an IRA attack? I haven't checked CNN.com or BBC yet.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2005, 11:30:28 AM »

The thinking is that it's probably Al Qaeda (if so it's been "less bad" than most of their attacks) but nothing's been ruled out yet.
Very unlikely to be the work of an IRA splinter group; not their style. They go after buildings, not transport.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2005, 11:45:40 AM »

I am shocked, gutted and utterly disgusted at these attacks. What disturbs me is was this sleeper cell, if that is indeed what it is, of foreign composition or composed of British nationals? If they are British nationals that is far far worse. I hope this doesn't damage race relations in this country and as much as I regularly condemn Islam as a religion that is abused to promote hate not ONE drop of blood should be shed in our streets between rival youths as a result of this.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2005, 12:29:30 PM »

Al, Dave, and the rest of our friends across the pond . . . I'm sorry to hear about the attacks this morning.  Our hopes and prayers go out to you.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2005, 01:32:29 PM »

My heart goes out to all my British friends. This makes me both incredibly sad and angry. I know the British won't cower and hide like the Spanish did. Their reslove is legendary. I heard that the Queen, as well, is returning from Scotland. Good. I think it may help some to see the Queen traveling around London, undaunted. It reminds me of footage from WWII of King George VI walking around the ruins of bombed out buildings during the blitz.

Oh, and George Galloway just proved again just how much a piece of crap he truly is.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2005, 01:35:17 PM »

This isn't the IRA, they give us warning when they're about to blow something up, and there was no warning here. Also, there'd be absolutely no motive in their actions.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2005, 01:42:12 PM »

It doesn't sound so major. The NYC subway had a far worse incident a few months ago. Appearantly some homeless man started a fire that took out two subway lines for the next few years. Hurrah for Homeland Security!

You truely are a retarded idiot.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2005, 01:51:34 PM »

It doesn't sound so major. The NYC subway had a far worse incident a few months ago. Appearantly some homeless man started a fire that took out two subway lines for the next few years. Hurrah for Homeland Security!

To be fair to jfern, at 1002 this morning, we still thought it was an electrical anomaly spiking through the Underground network.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2005, 01:54:34 PM »

To be fair to jfern, at 1002 this morning, we still thought it was an electrical anomaly spiking through the Underground network.

Have you seen his recent comments?  I truely am saddened by this.  He is using it as an opportunity to attack Blair and Bush.
Lt. Gov. Immy
Immy

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2005, 01:57:09 PM »

Oh my.  I just heard about this.  My heart goes out to the people of London.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2005, 02:14:59 PM »

Have you seen his recent comments?  I truely am saddened by this.  He is using it as an opportunity to attack Blair and Bush.

Obviously, since I split the topic off from this one.

The point remains that his comments of 1002 don't in anyway reflect on his character, though if they had been posted at 1402 they would do.  If you want to criticise his other comments, feel free to do that in the thread that I split off.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2005, 02:20:14 PM »

Some less-bad news... seems as though "only" 2 people died on the bus
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2005, 02:28:39 PM »

Some less-bad news... seems as though "only" 2 people died on the bus

I was surprised by that certainly, though thinking about it, if you're going to have a bus blow-up, directly in front of the British Medical Association filled with GPs attending a conference would be one of the more preferrable places.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »

May God bless the wonderful people of your country. This is a very sad day. Cry
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length