2023 UK Local Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:56:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2023 UK Local Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21
Author Topic: 2023 UK Local Elections  (Read 18900 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »

One thing to note is that the Conservatives will be much more vulnerable to losses vs. Labour than anyone else as the main feature of the (very odd!) 2019 locals was that the two big parties performed terribly against smaller parties and independents while holding up reasonably well against each other, with a small number of exceptions here and there.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2023, 02:58:26 PM »

Forgot to add the key word that was metro mayors!

One thing to note is that the Conservatives will be much more vulnerable to losses vs. Labour than anyone else as the main feature of the (very odd!) 2019 locals was that the two big parties performed terribly against smaller parties and independents while holding up reasonably well against each other, with a small number of exceptions here and there.

My reading of last years locals and the one before was that the Liberals and greens were much more effective at picking up seats off the Conservatives but equally voters were becoming a lot more tactical- these two factors plus a stronger Labour lead could all prove difficult bordering on awful for the Conservatives.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2023, 03:29:04 PM »

My reading of last years locals and the one before was that the Liberals and greens were much more effective at picking up seats off the Conservatives but equally voters were becoming a lot more tactical- these two factors plus a stronger Labour lead could all prove difficult bordering on awful for the Conservatives.
Although given the current Labour lead, there’s a risk that tactical voting could go wrong (both people voting Labour in places they won’t win, and people voting Lib Dem etc but Labour actually coming 2nd).
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2023, 08:19:34 AM »

Andrew Teale has a bumper preview: https://medium.com/britainelects/previewing-the-english-local-elections-of-4th-may-2023-d90f5831f1e7
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2023, 08:47:45 AM »

BBC1 is covering the results (or purporting to do so) from 11:40PM. Doesn't seem to be much coverage scheduled for the day after, as there sometimes is.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2023, 08:59:49 AM »

BBC1 is covering the results (or purporting to do so) from 11:40PM. Doesn't seem to be much coverage scheduled for the day after, as there sometimes is.

That's mildly annoying (not that I'll be in a position to watch TV much on Friday, and there are usually better ways of following the councils I'm most interested in) given how many councils aren't counting until Friday.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2023, 01:27:29 PM »

A sign of the times is that last year the Tories were briefing they would win Sunderland last year and now labour appear set to increase their majority.
Logical

« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2023, 01:34:33 PM »

Brian's getting a new hat you know.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2023, 03:21:29 AM »

I can’t find the quote but the Tories are having a very funny wobble at getting called out over their stupid expectations predictions.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2023, 06:09:33 AM »

I said in another thread that the fact they are now starting to talk about *2000* losses suggests that around half that is now a genuine possibility - though I will still believe it when I see it.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2023, 09:32:56 AM »

I said in another thread that the fact they are now starting to talk about *2000* losses suggests that around half that is now a genuine possibility - though I will still believe it when I see it.

I mean I have thought 1K losses for a while is on the cards - certainly not all to Labour - mainly because the nuances of the data suggest it to be a possibility.

Like compared to 2021 and in some places 2022, the Labour result looks good, but matched with older elections, the 2019 result wasn't that good for Labour. Which makes sense given the behavior of voters in early 2019 - the last days of May's Brexit fumbles. A chunk of both big parties was still going for the Strong Remain aligned parties  - Greens, Lib-Dems, the parties formed by parliamentary defectors - and a Chunk was looking at the Strong Leave aligned Brexit Party. But the latter did not stand local candidates. So we had a result that was very good for the Lib-Dems, especially since they were rising from the absolute floor of 2015 in many places, in the areas we associate with Remain in the south. But in the Leave areas it was often the Tories who were the Leave option, with occasionally a large crop of independents benefiting instead. There's a reason why the Tories ended up in control of places like Darlington, NE Derbyshire, Stoke-on-Trent, and NE Lincolnshire after 2019.

Then we have council redistricting, or an equivalent change in processes like in Wirral. The boundary changes aren't that important in most areas, but rather the result is that all councilors must stand at once on the new lines. This is a big shakeup in places which usually stagger their councilors and elect in thirds. The Conservative wave class of 2021 and the suboptimal class of 2022  - at least in many of the areas which matter this year - now have to stand in a year opposite of what initially elected them. And a full one-thirdof councilors up for reelection this year standing in new wards. Obviously not all of such areas have relevant battles for control either locally or nationally, but a surprising number of them do. This includes places like Derby, Amber Valley, and Bolton.

All this is to say that we have not seen a political environment like this in a while, and Labour have a lot of targets in such an environment. And it won't just be the Tories who lose, the pro-Brexit indies across Leave-land also have outlived their usefulness. The Lib-Dems fantastic 2019 intake means overexposure. They probably will lose seats in Lib-Lab fights, and the Tories might pick up seats in places the Lib-Dems really shouldn't have won in 2019. But those losses should be canceled out by gains off the Tories in the Con-Lib southern councils dotted across Hertfordshire, Surry, Oxfordshire, Devon, and the rest.
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2023, 11:34:30 AM »

That's mildly annoying (not that I'll be in a position to watch TV much on Friday, and there are usually better ways of following the councils I'm most interested in) given how many councils aren't counting until Friday.
Looks like Auntie have organised a bumper edition of Politics Live for the afternoon, which would cover that.  The presenting team looks fairly second-string, which is probably to be expected given that Huw Edwards will be busy with Coronation prep.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2023, 09:55:28 AM »

Briefing game about these elections from all sides reaching genuinely silly proportions now (this has been aided by an Electoral Calculus "prediction" that verges on actual ludicrousness)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2023, 09:57:46 AM »

Briefing game about these elections from all sides reaching genuinely silly proportions now (this has been aided by an Electoral Calculus "prediction" that verges on actual ludicrousness)
LD: we will lose 100 councilors
Labour: we will lose 1,000 councilors
Con: we will lose a hundred million councilors
Greens: we will lose every single councilor in the entire country
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2023, 10:56:34 AM »

Just a reminder that the Conservatives losing 1000 councillors would mean they were losing just under 1/3 of those up, overwhelmingly last elected in the disastrous 2019 elections. To lose 2000, as supposedly someone, somewhere predicted, would mean about they are losing 60% of their seats. I remain sceptical that even with a dire result in terms of vote share, the Conservatives will actually lose as many seats as people seem to be expecting from such a result.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2023, 12:54:46 PM »

Surely no one actually expects them to lose a 1000+ though?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2023, 01:21:21 PM »

It's also weird how much we focus on the numbers when everyone always gets pulled in by the shiny lights e.g those councils who declare first.

It's a complete guess but they could do relatively ok on headline numbers and still lose a good chunk of councils including those mirroring key likely marginals but there's a very weird failure to even understand local government.

Even the obsession with 'well these are actually elections about bins' annoys me because your council will provide a lot more important services than bin collection e.g health & safety inspections, care for children with additional needs up to aged 25, local school oversight, support for refugees and a whole host of things you don't often realise until it goes wrong (see flood defence planning in London)
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2023, 02:07:51 PM »

It's also weird how much we focus on the numbers when everyone always gets pulled in by the shiny lights e.g those councils who declare first.

It's a complete guess but they could do relatively ok on headline numbers and still lose a good chunk of councils including those mirroring key likely marginals but there's a very weird failure to even understand local government.

Even the obsession with 'well these are actually elections about bins' annoys me because your council will provide a lot more important services than bin collection e.g health & safety inspections, care for children with additional needs up to aged 25, local school oversight, support for refugees and a whole host of things you don't often realise until it goes wrong (see flood defence planning in London)

They'll be some wild result with a wild swing in some ward in some obscure town that'll declare early and will set much of the tone on Twitter.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2023, 02:35:58 PM »

If they lose 2000 seats, the only conclusion we can draw is that the Tories are heading towards an extinction level event. (I.e. don't get your hopes up).
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2023, 02:55:39 PM »

If they lose 2000 seats, the only conclusion we can draw is that the Tories are heading towards an extinction level event. (I.e. don't get your hopes up).

It is hilarious on reflection that there was a time when they expected to use said result to hope Prime Minister Truss resigned. A shame she didn’t say as they honestly could have lost that many under her.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2023, 03:12:23 PM »

Though I pitty the councillors because they are in most cases innocent bystanders of their party leaderships, I hope they do.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2023, 04:59:25 AM »

Are there any councils declaring in the first 12 hours that will set the pigeons?

I’ve given up on planning how to follow the results- last years guide was completely wrong
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2023, 05:21:29 AM »

Are there any councils declaring in the first 12 hours that will set the pigeons?

I’ve given up on planning how to follow the results- last years guide was completely wrong

Seems like a bunch of north-eastern and Essex councils will be in the mix early on (Hartlepool, Sunderland, Halton, Basildon, Castle Point, Harlow etc).
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2023, 06:18:40 AM »

There will likely be a big rush of results around lunchtime/early afternoon on Friday.

But the early declarers could still be significant - their results last year allowed Tory spinners to claim "we have done BRILLIANTLY in the Red Wall and they all still LOVE BoJo!" which, of course, our media (including, needless to say, the BBC) faithfully relayed as undisputed fact.

This time round, they are unlikely to be as deceptively "good" for the blue team. If the overall results do prove as bad for them as some suspect, expect wall to wall coronation coverage by teatime Smiley
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2023, 07:42:40 AM »

To be fair, the issue last time wasn't that the early results were deceptively good for the Tories - they were rubbish, and their actual good results mostly trickled in late on Friday. The issue was that the media fell for very obvious lies.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies