Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:16:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 347763 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« on: October 20, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »

I knew this forum was full of upper-class white college kids who don't have families but damn I was not expecting Terry's anti-parental involvement quote to be spun into a positive.

After all these months away it's good to see that some things haven't changed, like you being a disingenuous hack.

So, now that even McAuliffe is running ads defending himself and backtracking, will you admit you were wrong?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 07:36:56 PM »

Blame the Democrats who nominated a Clinton has been. This is about the failures of third way neolib politics.

Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin of the Republican lite wing. Swingy suburban voters are never going to be the base of the supposedly left wing party. Ever.

So we should have run a birdie Sanders clone? Please. The answering meal liberal is an exactly a cure all for the Democratic Party's party's ills. If Terry McCullough had run at least as good a campaign as he did 8 years ago, he might have had a shot here.

Addressing the issue  Constructively now, I have to admit I'm a little surprised as I was under the impression that, republicans notwithstanding of course, that McCullough had left office reasonably well reasonably well liked and popular.

No, the answer is to run Democrats who actually have a plan and can both run on issues and motivate voters. Fetterman, Conor Lamb, Ossoff, Warnock, AOC, they don't have to be from the Sanders wing.

McAuliffe motivated no one, he ran against Trump instead of his actual opponent and he isn't charismatic.

How is AOC not from the Sanders wing?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 07:44:09 PM »

No better way for Youngkin to win than seeing Loudoun and Fairfax crown him. Dems need to stay away from the aggressive CRT messaging and embrace something more inclusive and appropriate for middle and high school kids. Could also see Asian parents (like 20% of the demographic here) revolting against making Thomas Jefferson, probably the best high school in the country academically, lottery based as opposed to merit centered. Although it’s pretty laughable to think a more leftist candidate would win VA at all; I could see the Republican winning Loudoun  and cracking 40% in Fairfax at that point. Abandoning the suburbanites would be a huge mistake because I can safely say the WWC is not going to come back if we leave the party.

Please point me to the Democratic Party's "aggressive CRT messaging." I'd love to see it.

https://spectrumnews1.com/ky/louisville/news/2021/04/27/biden-100-days-race

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 07:47:17 PM »

The national environment will certainly be better for Democrats next year, as the economy improves and as the issues with the supply chain get sorted out. The problem is, that only means better than 12 points worse than they did in 2020. They have a LOT of work to do to win back what they've lost.

"as the economy improves"

This was supposed to be a V shaped year with a massive economic recovery and double digit growth.

Instead, it's been anything but.

It's possible that a general decline of coronavirus could bring the world economy, and thus the US, higher. But with the virus having actually gotten worse since Biden took office, and with inflation etc on track to only continue to grow, there's no reason to think the economy will just magically improve over the next 12 months. It could -- but it could also stay stagnant, or fall.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »

No better way for Youngkin to win than seeing Loudoun and Fairfax crown him. Dems need to stay away from the aggressive CRT messaging and embrace something more inclusive and appropriate for middle and high school kids. Could also see Asian parents (like 20% of the demographic here) revolting against making Thomas Jefferson, probably the best high school in the country academically, lottery based as opposed to merit centered. Although it’s pretty laughable to think a more leftist candidate would win VA at all; I could see the Republican winning Loudoun  and cracking 40% in Fairfax at that point. Abandoning the suburbanites would be a huge mistake because I can safely say the WWC is not going to come back if we leave the party.

Please point me to the Democratic Party's "aggressive CRT messaging." I'd love to see it.

That's not critical race theory, that's common sense. After you had a black man murdered by a white police officer on video there is no way that you can avoid addressing racism any longer. Much of the Republican whining over critical race theory really is just a cover for the fact that they can no longer truly pretend that racism isn't a problem.

Okay. It was less than a month ago that Bill de Blasio ended New York gifted and talented schools (or, tried to), because they weren't sufficiently enough for you. Is the Mayor of America's largest city Democratic enough for you? Terry McAuliffe said that Virginia's public schools needed to be made more diverse because they were too White. Is Terry McAuliffe Democratic enough for you?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 07:54:21 PM »

I think the uncomfortable truth here is that part of this is Suburban whitelash after this past year of new conversations about race, not just CRT. That one issue just happens to encapsulate it.

I don't think Suburbanites are as reliable for Democrats as they may think. They are still okay with racism as long as it's in pretty packaging with respectable language.

https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/democrat-candidate-in-va-governors-race-argues-too-many-teachers-in-state-are-white

Opposing anti-White racism isn't the same as being okay with racism. It's the opposite.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 07:55:32 PM »

That's not critical race theory, that's common sense. After you had a black man murdered by a white police officer on video there is no way that you can avoid addressing racism any longer. Much of the Republican whining over critical race theory really is just a cover for the fact that they can no longer truly pretend that racism isn't a problem.

Okay. It was less than a month ago that Bill de Blasio ended New York gifted and talented schools (or, tried to), because they weren't sufficiently enough for you. Is the Mayor of America's largest city Democratic enough for you? Terry McAuliffe said that Virginia's public schools needed to be made more diverse because they were too White. Is Terry McAuliffe Democratic enough for you?

McAuliffe made a valid point, even if it was poorly phrased. Racial parity among educators will become less of an issue as today's students become tomorrow's teachers. And that isn't really "teaching CRT in schools".

No, he said something racist.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 12:18:07 PM »

Looks like Democrats are doing to Youngkin what Republicans have done to Biden, of blaming Biden for all of America's problems on day one (all of Virginia's problems in this case.)

I wonder how many Republicans are now whining "How dare they do to us what we do to them?!"

Of course, the usual caveats: this is just one poll, it's on one issue, not overall approval of Youngkin, and it was sponsored by a left leaning advocacy organization.

Seems noteworthy to note that the 44% number is from PPP and is as opposed to 42% disapprove, no? A positive approval rating from a Democratic-leaning pollster is hardly a bad sign.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 01:01:44 PM »

Looks like Democrats are doing to Youngkin what Republicans have done to Biden, of blaming Biden for all of America's problems on day one (all of Virginia's problems in this case.)

I wonder how many Republicans are now whining "How dare they do to us what we do to them?!"

Of course, the usual caveats: this is just one poll, it's on one issue, not overall approval of Youngkin, and it was sponsored by a left leaning advocacy organization.

Seems noteworthy to note that the 44% number is from PPP and is as opposed to 42% disapprove, no? A positive approval rating from a Democratic-leaning pollster is hardly a bad sign.

PPP usually doesn't bias their samples, I provided the potential caveat, but your numbers are wrong:

"The survey, which was first seen by The Hill, found that 44 percent of Virginia voters polled said they approved of Youngkin's handling of the pandemic, while 47 percent said they disapproved."

He's still 44-42 on overall approval.

And PPP's results are definitely left-leaning, by a variety of factors even if their samples are sometimes okay.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 09:29:06 AM »

Bump.

Earlier this month, the Republican nominee for 1 of the 2 median districts in the HoD was recorded privately endorsing a total abortion ban.  IMO, this will probably nationalize things enough for Dems to flip the chamber.

Nah the real nationalization is Youngkin proposing a supposed 'compromise' on Abortion when the electorate doesn't really see it as a compromise.

Where does this poll show majority opposition to a 15 week abortion ban? I only see a question about legality in all, some, or no cases.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 09:44:57 AM »

Bump.

Earlier this month, the Republican nominee for 1 of the 2 median districts in the HoD was recorded privately endorsing a total abortion ban.  IMO, this will probably nationalize things enough for Dems to flip the chamber.

Nah the real nationalization is Youngkin proposing a supposed 'compromise' on Abortion when the electorate doesn't really see it as a compromise.

Where does this poll show majority opposition to a 15 week abortion ban? I only see a question about legality in all, some, or no cases.

We've never had a referendum where the choice was between a 15 week limit with the standard self-defense exemptions for life endangerment and rape vs. the standard Dem ballot initiative position legal to viability with life/health exemption to term, including mental health, so we don't really know.  We will probably get to see this play out in AZ next year.

Right now, too many people think any new restrictions at all are just step 1 to a total ban, and this guy got recorded having that view in private.

I agree on both counts: we don't know what level of support a referendum would find for 15 weeks, and this candidate's comments provide support for a slippery slope argument. But that's not the same thing as polling showing voters actually opposing a 15 week ban, which the poll didn't show.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies