Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:13:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 46042 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: June 03, 2020, 08:02:17 PM »

We all know what supported the arrests because it's the same thing that always happens. Politicians felt there was a name to make for themselves by appealing to an unhinged and illogical mob against all sensible justice. Remember when Stephanie Rawlings-Blake thought she could make herself a national name. And especially Marilyn Mosby.

I don't know that. I assume that probable cause was found since they have been charged, and I'm willing to keep an open mind that there will not be proof beyond a reasonable doubt of their guilt.

To be fair this case is more clear cut than many previous BLM cases, and Officers Keung and Lang were holding Floyd down, so if Chauvin committed a crime then they certainly helped in it. And Thao did as well by physically protecting Chauvin from bystanders. You could say they were accessories to a crime which warrants being charged, in a similar way that the getaway driver is charged even though he didn't commit the robbery.

As far as politicians "making a name" sure, but absent public pressure the police and prosecutorial systems have an incestuous relationship. What's really needed is a truly independent prosecutorial branch that oversees the police, but we don't have that. Without these cell phone videos the whole thing would have been swept under the rug.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #951 on: June 03, 2020, 08:07:36 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 08:10:46 PM by emailking »

Yeah I don't expect them to be acquitted and definitely agree with the arrests but will keep an open mind that there may be something we're missing. A trial will definitely sort it out and see justice is served, one way or the other.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #952 on: June 03, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »

We all know what supported the arrests because it's the same thing that always happens. Politicians felt there was a name to make for themselves by appealing to an unhinged and illogical mob against all sensible justice. Remember when Stephanie Rawlings-Blake thought she could make herself a national name. And especially Marilyn Mosby.

I don't know that. I assume that probable cause was found since they have been charged, and I'm willing to keep an open mind that there will not be proof beyond a reasonable doubt of their guilt.

To be fair this case is more clear cut than many previous BLM cases, and Officers Keung and Lang were holding Floyd down, so if Chauvin committed a crime then they certainly helped in it. And Thao did as well by physically protecting Chauvin from bystanders. You could say they were accessories to a crime which warrants being charged, in a similar way that the getaway driver is charged even though he didn't commit the robbery.

As far as politicians "making a name" sure, but absent public pressure the police and prosecutorial systems have an incestuous relationship. What's really needed is a truly independent prosecutorial branch that oversees the police, but we don't have that. Without these cell phone videos the whole thing would have been swept under the rug.

The getaway driver intended to be part of a crime job. The police intended to enforce the law as a legitimate job that supports our municipalities, and one of their colleagues did that job inadequately. They didn't willingly plan on being there for the commission of a crime. That's the problem with all these leftists - they believe that being a cop is a criminal act in itself. Arresting a suspect experiencing side effects of drugs translates to third degree assault - give me a break.

Inaction in a window of minutes should not be a criminal matter.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #953 on: June 03, 2020, 09:31:13 PM »

Floyd said that he couldn't breathe while standing up and when he was constrained on the ground. It is not unreasonable to believe that his position did not have an effect on his breathing.

An autopsy proved he was suffocated due to the placement of knees on his neck and back so it doesn't really matter what it might be reasonable to believe before we had that result. Now we know he was suffocated and why he suffocated.

Don't confuse JJ 2.0 with facts.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #954 on: June 03, 2020, 09:34:49 PM »

I have a bad feeling the cop won’t be found guilty 2nd degree murder
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #955 on: June 03, 2020, 10:51:04 PM »

https://twitter.com/LeonHWolf/status/1268168296714698752?s=19

There's pretty much no response to this. I think it's narcissism more than a lack of sincerity. When they want to stay home then everyone has to stay home, but the second something they think is important happens then it's okay to go out again. Morality determined 100% by their personal wishes and not any objective standard.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #956 on: June 03, 2020, 10:52:37 PM »

I have a bad feeling the cop won’t be found guilty 2nd degree murder

That might be part of the logic of charging him with it. A normal person watching the video footage would conclude that he's totally guilty of it, so it more than meets probable cause, but the reasonable doubt standard is stringent enough, and difficult enough to convince duly empaneled juries of in cases involving cops, that Ellison might be using this charge as a ploy to make conviction on third-degree murder and/or voluntary manslaughter more likely.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #957 on: June 03, 2020, 10:55:29 PM »

Before we continue this back and forth, jimrtex, let me ask: in your opinion, was there wrongdoing on the part of Officer Chauvin?
What do you mean by wrongdoing?

Is that the same as doing the wrong thing?

Were his actions those of malfeasance or misfeasance?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Lane?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Kueng?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Thao?

According to the indictment Officer Lane asked Floyd whether he was "on anything"? It is unknown whether Floyd responded.

When Justine Damond was shot and killed by a Minneapolis Police officer in 2017, was it because she was black?

What an utterly obtuse response. It was a simple question, it didn’t require a ponderous line of branching inquiries capped by a non-sequitur.
Wrongdoing means illegal or dishonest behavior

You can do something wrong, but it not be illegal or dishonest.

I was simply asking for clarification of what PKG was asking.

You launched off into a line of tangential questions that weren't necessary for stating your position clearly. She didn't ask you about what you thought about the other officers' culpability or about another unrelated police shooting case involving a black victim, she asked you whether you think Derek Chauvin is responsible for wrongdoing. You also could have just freely given your opinion on whether you thought it was malfeasance or misfeasance, or whether it was wrong, illegal, dishonest, or any combination of the three, or none. PGQ isn't a lawyer or judge, she probably wasn't even thinking about the legalese aspect when she asked her question.

She asked a question that included a word which typically has a certain connotation.

I know that she is neither a lawyer or judge, but I suspect that she does understand what I was asking.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #958 on: June 03, 2020, 11:01:23 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 11:24:59 PM by jimrtex »

Smile
I bet if Klobuchar was still prosecutor she would have thrown the binder at him.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #959 on: June 03, 2020, 11:26:11 PM »

So do I have this right, he's being charged with 2nd degree murder in addition to 3rd degree murder? I've read some articles that say the charge has been "upgraded" and others that say he's being charged with both. I didn't think you could charge someone with two different degrees of murder for the same killing, but Minnesota's murder laws appear to be somewhat funky.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #960 on: June 04, 2020, 02:01:33 AM »

As someone who's been in support of social distancing and the lockdowns, I guess I'll take the bait. The same as the reopen protests, I don't think people should be protesting right now. However, as I said then, it is their right to do so, and at least a higher percentage of the current protestors are wearing masks. In addition, it seems to be overall a younger demographic, so in some ways I pray they are safe, but they are endangering themselves and others.

It stinks because the momentum and timing of this moment is very important. I understand why people want to protest. If it weren't for the virus, I would be protesting every possible moment. I wish we could bottle and save the momentum for when things are safer, but it doesn't work that way. I also have much more sympathy for this cause because it is protesting the last 400 years, not merely the last two months.

This is a complex issue and it's not easily disentangled.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #961 on: June 04, 2020, 04:45:49 AM »

So do I have this right, he's being charged with 2nd degree murder in addition to 3rd degree murder? I've read some articles that say the charge has been "upgraded" and others that say he's being charged with both. I didn't think you could charge someone with two different degrees of murder for the same killing, but Minnesota's murder laws appear to be somewhat funky.

If it's only 2nd degree murder, oh god.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #962 on: June 04, 2020, 05:48:39 AM »

Before we continue this back and forth, jimrtex, let me ask: in your opinion, was there wrongdoing on the part of Officer Chauvin?
What do you mean by wrongdoing?

Is that the same as doing the wrong thing?

Were his actions those of malfeasance or misfeasance?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Lane?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Kueng?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Thao?

According to the indictment Officer Lane asked Floyd whether he was "on anything"? It is unknown whether Floyd responded.

When Justine Damond was shot and killed by a Minneapolis Police officer in 2017, was it because she was black?

What an utterly obtuse response. It was a simple question, it didn’t require a ponderous line of branching inquiries capped by a non-sequitur.
Wrongdoing means illegal or dishonest behavior

You can do something wrong, but it not be illegal or dishonest.

I was simply asking for clarification of what PKG was asking.

You launched off into a line of tangential questions that weren't necessary for stating your position clearly. She didn't ask you about what you thought about the other officers' culpability or about another unrelated police shooting case involving a black victim, she asked you whether you think Derek Chauvin is responsible for wrongdoing. You also could have just freely given your opinion on whether you thought it was malfeasance or misfeasance, or whether it was wrong, illegal, dishonest, or any combination of the three, or none. PGQ isn't a lawyer or judge, she probably wasn't even thinking about the legalese aspect when she asked her question.

She asked a question that included a word which typically has a certain connotation.

I know that she is neither a lawyer or judge, but I suspect that she does understand what I was asking.

Fair enough, jimrtex! So let me ask in a more specific way: do you believe that it is appropriate for Chauvin to be charged with homicide?

I'm not trying to needle you or ask you loaded questions. Yours is simply a perspective that isn't being expressed all that frequently.  
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #963 on: June 04, 2020, 06:05:38 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2020, 09:35:15 AM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

One can charge one with various degrees of murder out of the same incident. And in this case should. The jury can convicted of multiple counts, but under a Doctrine called merger the prosecution sentencing has to choose which particular account they were convicted up on which the defendant would be sentenced - - of course presumably the most serious count - - rather than him being sentenced on each individual charge.

I say he should be charged with various degrees because juries are so so so willing to give cops the benefit of the doubt even in these heinous cases. That is changing, but they are still reluctant to say that a cop was more than just freaked out and scared, Etc.

Let's get a good conviction rather than the perfect one. Beats the s*** out of an acquittal.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #964 on: June 04, 2020, 07:14:31 AM »

For the record Mohamed Noor was charged with second degree murder and acquitted of it, but still convicted of third degree murder.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #965 on: June 04, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »

Huge Black Lives Matter protest in Vienna right now.

More than 10.000 people (who are 99% white).

Even police cars say „Black Lives Matter“:

https://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/wien/Mehr-als-10-000-bei-BlackLivesMatter-Kundgebung-in-Wien/432474290
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #966 on: June 04, 2020, 12:24:41 PM »

More pictures and videos from the huge Vienna Black Lives Matter protest:

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #967 on: June 04, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »

The jury can convicted of multiple counts, but under a Doctrine called merger the prosecution sentencing has to choose which particular account they were convicted up on which the defendant would be sentenced - - of course presumably the most serious count - - rather than him being sentenced on each individual charge.

Alright, that makes sense, none of the news articles I'd seen actually explained how it was going to work.

I was a little worried because 2nd degree murder sounds like a tough nut to crack but I think he will be convicted of 3rd degree murder.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #968 on: June 04, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »

Police now estimate the BLM protest crowd at ca. 50.000 or more at the Vienna Karl's Square:

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000117877949/black-lives-matter-proteste-erreichen-wien

https://kurier.at/chronik/wien/toedlicher-rassismus-solidaritaets-demo-in-wien-ist-gestartet/400931663
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #969 on: June 04, 2020, 02:49:44 PM »

More black people have been murdered in the riots than what started the protests in the first place. I thought black lives matter?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #970 on: June 04, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »

Not only are those Minneapolis cops who killed George Floyd facing charges -they may be facing being infected with the coronavirus as well:

George Floyd had tested positive for COVID-19 before his death, full autopsy reveals

Floyd's family gave the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office permission to release the full 20-page report
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #971 on: June 04, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »

I can't help it wondering, though, how many would appear there for a Muslim lives matter March?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #972 on: June 04, 2020, 05:49:12 PM »

More black people have been murdered in the riots than what started the protests in the first place. I thought black lives matter?

This isn't just about George Floyd. He was just a tipping point for the protests. This is about hundreds of years of injustice. Stop saying this, please. We get that you dislike the protests but stop with the concern trolling. You're not going to checkmate anyone.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #973 on: June 04, 2020, 06:14:46 PM »

Donald Trump’s Toupée c. 1863: "Dozens of black soldiers were killed at the Second Battle of Fort Wagner, way more than have been killed by slaveowners this past week. I thought this was a war for emancipation?"
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #974 on: June 04, 2020, 06:21:16 PM »

Donald Trump’s Toupée c. 1863: "Dozens of black soldiers were killed at the Second Battle of Fort Wagner, way more than have been killed by slaveowners this past week. I thought this was a war for emancipation?"

Talk about a reach! Go and tell this to the 17 people who lost their lives so far.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies