Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:43:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 46056 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: June 03, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »

Smile
As if the protestors care.
Even if we get comprehensive police reform, they would still continue to riot.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #926 on: June 03, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 02:52:37 PM by Silent Hunter »

Considering that a key element of second degree murder is an intent to kill or cause serious injury, doesn't that risk an acquittal if the intent can't be proved?

Edit: I see that third degree murder and manslaughter remain on the charge sheet.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #927 on: June 03, 2020, 03:27:32 PM »

Before we continue this back and forth, jimrtex, let me ask: in your opinion, was there wrongdoing on the part of Officer Chauvin?
What do you mean by wrongdoing?

Is that the same as doing the wrong thing?

Were his actions those of malfeasance or misfeasance?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Lane?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Kueng?

Was their wrongdoing on the part of Officer Thao?

According to the indictment Officer Lane asked Floyd whether he was "on anything"? It is unknown whether Floyd responded.

When Justine Damond was shot and killed by a Minneapolis Police officer in 2017, was it because she was black?

What an utterly obtuse response. It was a simple question, it didn’t require a ponderous line of branching inquiries capped by a non-sequitur.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #928 on: June 03, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »

Before we continue this back and forth, jimrtex, let me ask: in your opinion, was there wrongdoing on the part of Officer Chauvin?

According to the indictment Officer Lane asked Floyd whether he was "on anything"? It is unknown whether Floyd responded.

When Justine Damond was shot and killed by a Minneapolis Police officer in 2017, was it because she was black?

So what was the price of gold today, JJ?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #929 on: June 03, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »

Considering that a key element of second degree murder is an intent to kill or cause serious injury, doesn't that risk an acquittal if the intent can't be proved?

Edit: I see that third degree murder and manslaughter remain on the charge sheet.
In this case, the key element is that the death occurred during commission of a felony (assault). Conceivably they could convince a juror that it was an "assault".
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #930 on: June 03, 2020, 04:35:59 PM »

Here’s a question for you: If you’re so confident in your position on this issue, why don’t you just state your position rather than engaging in this asinine line of questioning?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #931 on: June 03, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 10:50:26 PM by jimrtex »

What an utterly obtuse response. It was a simple question, it didn’t require a ponderous line of branching inquiries capped by a non-sequitur.
Wrongdoing means illegal or dishonest behavior

You can do something wrong, but it not be illegal or dishonest.

I was simply asking for clarification of what PQG was asking.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #932 on: June 03, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »

Here’s a question for you: If you’re so confident in your position on this issue, why don’t you just state your position rather than engaging in this asinine line of questioning?

Because he has a (no longer deserved) reputation for not being a nutcase to maintain.
Roblox

« Reply #933 on: June 03, 2020, 04:48:40 PM »

Dude just come out and say your ok with black people being murdered. We all know that's what you think.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #934 on: June 03, 2020, 04:51:14 PM »

Wow. I don't want to overplay this since we still have a long way to go, but this is starting to feel truly revolutionary in the best possible way.

You are overplaying it - by sharing it. Really?

How did all that Parkland reform turnout? This is just the issue de jour - which was all about Coronavirus until a few days ago lol.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #935 on: June 03, 2020, 04:57:21 PM »

PQG used a certain word in her question that has a particular connotation. I can not answer her question if I don't understand it.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #936 on: June 03, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 05:13:02 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Wrongdoing means illegal or dishonest behavior

You can do something wrong, but it not be illegal or dishonest.

I was simply asking for clarification of what PKG was asking.

You launched off into a line of tangential questions that weren't necessary for stating your position clearly. She didn't ask you about what you thought about the other officers' culpability or about another unrelated police shooting case involving a black victim, she asked you whether you think Derek Chauvin is responsible for wrongdoing. You also could have just freely given your opinion on whether you thought it was malfeasance or misfeasance, or whether it was wrong, illegal, dishonest, or any combination of the three, or none. PGQ isn't a lawyer or judge, she probably wasn't even thinking about the legalese aspect when she asked her question.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #937 on: June 03, 2020, 05:09:54 PM »

At least one of jimrtex's rhetorical questions also heavily implies that he thinks it's morally or at least legally acceptable to kill people for public intoxication. So that's one more for the New and Improved Bloody Code.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #938 on: June 03, 2020, 05:24:22 PM »

Because that's not how sealioning and JAQing off work, and that's what he's doing.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #939 on: June 03, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »

Floyd said that he couldn't breathe while standing up and when he was constrained on the ground. It is not unreasonable to believe that his position did not have an effect on his breathing.

An autopsy proved he was suffocated due to the placement of knees on his neck and back so it doesn't really matter what it might be reasonable to believe before we had that result. Now we know he was suffocated and why he suffocated.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #940 on: June 03, 2020, 06:09:58 PM »

I was simply asking for clarification of what PKG was asking.

Q starts with a c not a k.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #941 on: June 03, 2020, 07:29:19 PM »

It is an absolute tragedy that the other officers were charged and even worse are remaining held on $1 million bond. They deserve to be not guilty as quickly as the poor police senselessly charged in the Freddy Gray case. My heart goes out to them and their beautiful families needlessly suffering to quell a mob that knows no virtue when all they do every day of their lives is serve their community. So painful to know this injustice exists.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #942 on: June 03, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »

It is an absolute tragedy that the other officers were charged and even worse are remaining held on $1 million bond. They deserve to be not guilty as quickly as the poor police senselessly charged in the Freddy Gray case. My heart goes out to them and their beautiful families needlessly suffering to quell a mob that knows no virtue when all they do every day of their lives is serve their community. So painful to know this injustice exists.
Is this a meme?

I thought you "didn't care" about this case.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #943 on: June 03, 2020, 07:37:59 PM »

Let's let a jury decide. You don't know all of the evidence that supported these arrests. If there's exculpatory evidence they might be acquitted easily. As for the bail, thy're accused of abetting murder, of course they're not going to just be allowed to roam free.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #944 on: June 03, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »

Is this a meme?

You really have some severe reading issues. I wrote that people are able to ignore peaceful protests if they want and that I would pass by without a care. I care very deeply about the unnecessary trauma being inflicted on these completely innocent men and their families for being present at the scene of accidental manslaughter.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #945 on: June 03, 2020, 07:46:33 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 07:50:03 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Let's let a jury decide. You don't know all of the evidence that supported these arrests. If there's exculpatory evidence they might be acquitted easily. As for the bail, thy're accused of abetting murder, of course they're not going to just be allowed to roam free.

We all know what supported the arrests because it's the same thing that always happens. Politicians felt there was a name to make for themselves by appealing to an unhinged and illogical mob against all sensible justice. Remember when Stephanie Rawlings-Blake thought she could make herself a national name. And especially Marilyn Mosby.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #946 on: June 03, 2020, 07:49:17 PM »

Is this a meme?

You really have some severe reading issues. I wrote that people are able to ignore peaceful protests if they want and that I would pass by without a care. I care very deeply about the unnecessary trauma being inflicted on these completely innocent men and their families for being present at the scene of accidental manslaughter.
If you think the protests could have caused the arrests (I would agree there's a decent chance they did), it doesn't make sense to not care about them given your subsequent consideration of the resulting arrests as a tragedy.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #947 on: June 03, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »

We all know what supported the arrests because it's the same thing that always happens. Politicians felt there was a name to make for themselves by appealing to an unhinged and illogical mob against all sensible justice. Remember when Stephanie Rawlings-Blake thought she could make herself a national name. And especially Marilyn Mosby.

I don't know that. I assume that probable cause was found since they have been charged, and I'm willing to keep an open mind that there will not be proof beyond a reasonable doubt of their guilt.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #948 on: June 03, 2020, 07:55:09 PM »

Is this a meme?

If you think the protests could have caused the arrests (I would agree there's a decent chance they did), it doesn't make sense to not care about them given your subsequent consideration of the resulting arrests as a tragedy.

I believe the rioting and violence caused that since that is what got news coverage. Action was taken to prevent destruction of valuable property. Non-violent protest would have done nothing alone. Now it's time for bad officials to reward bad behavior to limit the damage to their regimes. But it seems like you and I are only capable off talking in circles.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #949 on: June 03, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »

Is this a meme?

I believe the rioting and violence caused that since that is what got news coverage. Action was taken to prevent destruction of valuable property. Non-violent protest would have done nothing alone. Now it's time for bad officials to reward bad behavior to limit the damage to their regimes. But it seems like you and I are only capable off talking in circles.

That's fairly consistent logic, actually. I assumed when you said this:

Politicians felt there was a name to make for themselves by appealing to an unhinged and illogical mob against all sensible justice

you meant the protesters at large as opposed to rioters specifically, as the former constitute a larger group of voters to appeal to. If you believe the politicians saw making a name for themselves only because of riot-specific news coverage or in responding to the riots as opposed to the protests, then that holds up.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies