COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:08:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116201 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: April 05, 2020, 04:28:29 PM »

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #426 on: April 05, 2020, 04:29:16 PM »

Deep breaths, Torrain.  

And the answer to both questions is: I can't say, unfortunately.  I would need to know the specifics of his symptoms, his vitals, etc. etc.  

What we do know is that he and/or his...caretakers(?) were concerned enough to have him admitted to hospital.  Now, again, this might be because his symptoms haven't subsided, it could be that he was feeling short of breath or experiencing chest pains, etc. etc.  

As I was saying to RB: when someone is kept overnight for observation (which isn't uncommon), it means that doctors want to (a) keep an eye on a patients' present condition while (b) also wanting to be prepared for a change in condition, new or more severe symptoms, and so on.   If he's been admitted -ADMITTED - at this time in the evening, it would be highly unusual for doctors to send him home without keeping him overnight. 

But once more, as much as I'd like to answer you more conclusively, it's tough to say without knowing the PM's specifics.  It really is just a wait-and-see type situation right now.  

Thanks, I realise I was asking a lot, given how little we know right now.
I guess we really will just have to wait this one out...
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #427 on: April 05, 2020, 04:30:08 PM »

Deep breaths, Torrain.  

And the answer to both questions is: I can't say, unfortunately.  I would need to know the specifics of his symptoms, his vitals, etc. etc.  

What we do know is that he and/or his...caretakers(?) were concerned enough to have him admitted to hospital.  Now, again, this might be because his symptoms haven't subsided, it could be that he was feeling short of breath or experiencing chest pains, etc. etc.  

As I was saying to RB: when someone is kept overnight for observation (which isn't uncommon), it means that doctors want to (a) keep an eye on a patients' present condition while (b) also wanting to be prepared for a change in condition, new or more severe symptoms, and so on.   If he's been admitted -ADMITTED - at this time in the evening, it would be highly unusual for doctors to send him home without keeping him overnight. 

But once more, as much as I'd like to answer you more conclusively, it's tough to say without knowing the PM's specifics.  It really is just a wait-and-see type situation right now.  

Thanks, I realise I was asking a lot, given how little we know right now.
I guess we really will just have to wait this one out...

Nope! Always glad to answer whatever I can with whatever I know and have learned!
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #428 on: April 05, 2020, 04:38:22 PM »

Natural selection in action:

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #429 on: April 05, 2020, 04:39:31 PM »

The damning thing is, this isn't unique to health care. It happens with everything that the vampire capitalists can sink their fangs into. Modern capitalism (as practiced in the United States) is all about cutting things to maximize profit at the expense of anything and everything else, and trying to do so in fashion that won't leave the profiteer holding the bag when the real costs need to be paid.  (Or buying "insurance" in the form of connections to the levers of power so that they can socialize their losses the same way they socialize their costs whenever possible. It's just the profits that get to stay in private hands.)

The COVID-19 pandemic is nature slapping our civilization across the face. We can either learn and improve (to the detriment of wealth-extracting parasites) or we can keep marking time until we get hit so hard our civilization dies. (From a pandemic, from global warming, from something hitting us from space, from a massive geologic event, or just from too many things breaking at the wrong time because we've pared everything down too far in the name of 'shareholder value'.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #430 on: April 05, 2020, 05:04:01 PM »

But I'm sure calling it "chinese virus" is totally cool with you. Trump didn't take this seriously and now we may be entering a depression. Deal with it.

If your response to "LOL domestic violence, how funny!" Is to pivot back to "muh orange man racist" then onto ignore you go.

As someone who denies this pandemic is even a problem, that's pretty rich coming from you. The mentality of people like you is one of the reasons why we are in this predicament. Ignorant.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #431 on: April 05, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »

Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2020, 05:11:18 PM »

It would be good to have more information regarding whether it is possible for cats to infect humans:

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2020, 05:14:22 PM »

It would be good to have more information regarding whether it is possible for cats to infect humans:

We saw similar things with SARS-1, the occasional infection of cats, dogs etc.

I think we should extend the old adage "Act as though you already have the virus" to our pets, and keep them distanced from individuals outside our individual households. Even if they are uninfectious now, they could become a worrying reservoir of infection in the years to come, after continuous viral mutation.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #434 on: April 05, 2020, 05:15:44 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2020, 05:24:54 PM by Old Europe »

My mom and I were supposed to go to Amsterdam the 20th but decided to go to Berlin instead because the German government's website was much more helpful and the attractions are opening back up the 19th.

Of April??? I wouldn't want to go on a trip anywhere this month.

Bolded part:

Eh, I wouldn't count on it... they're at the moment closed until April 19, but it's more likely than not that this is going to be extended.

If everything's going well, what is going to happen on April 19 is that more than two people will be allowed to meet in public again. But I seriously doubt that they're going to let crowds of people indoors already.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2020, 05:26:02 PM by Sbane »

A taste of what could happen, if Hillary won. Reducing of flights from China likely would be considered xenophobic and US would have gotten (ten?) thousands of additional imported cases. A 1,000 new cases become a 1,000,000 in a month under the assumption that doubling rate time is ~3 days.

Probably the only thing he got right. That was not enough, as the data shows. The closing of travel to Europe was bungled since people rushed back to the states and airports in cities like New York and Chicago were absolutely crushed by people returning from Europe. Perfect place for the virus to spread into multiple other communities across the US. Looking at the places that are most affected, I would say more cases came from Europe rather than China.

And I won't even go into the testing failure.......that is the main reason why the US is in the predicament it is in.

Testing? How's that Trump's fault? My understanding that CDC did as they usually do and tried to make their own test instead of relying on WHO and was too late to let private firms start it. It't not like it was Trump's idea or that he ordered them not to. Trump followed CDC's expertise (https://www.cdc.gov/about/leadership.htm), didn't he? You think that Hillary would press the experts of CDC to go private? Perhaps, she could, but I doubt it'd be significant diff.

Oh I know it was bureaucratic nonsense but the buck stops with Trump. It was his own people doing the bungling. He did finally put his foot down and got the testing flowing, like it is now. It was just a few weeks too late. We can only speculate if Hillary or someone else would have done better, but Trump's government screwed it up. That is what we know for sure.

Even now states like mine just aren't testing enough and they aren't recommending tests unless you fall under a strict criteria. You can have all the symptoms of covid but if you don't have a bad cough no test for you. So a lot of people with mild symptoms are likely being missed and these people could end up infecting more vulnerable people. Trump needs to be more forceful about ordering all states to get their act together and start testing anyone with covid-19 like symptoms. I blame the local authorities more of course. The mayor of Odessa is an absolute moron. His own mom had to be hospitalized with covid-19 like symptoms before he realized this was serious.

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Odessa-Coronavirus-Testing-Mayor-Turner-doesnt-know-Judge-Hays-wont-talk-Health-Department-cant-talk-569170081.html
https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Statement-to-the-Citizens-of-Odessa-from-Mayor-David-Turner-569193441.html
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #436 on: April 05, 2020, 05:30:04 PM »

No one has it harder than high school seniors right now.

Is this some sort of parody account?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #437 on: April 05, 2020, 05:34:54 PM »

No one has it harder than high school seniors right now.

Is this some sort of parody account?

It's LimoLiberal....
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #438 on: April 05, 2020, 05:35:55 PM »

I feel like this isn't news to anybody who's been paying attention, but it's good that somebody is finally saying it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #439 on: April 05, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »

I feel like we can declare that the worst has passed based on today's stats. A week or two to get things in order and then it's time to go back to work.

It's literally one day with a somewhat lower number of confirmed new cases.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #440 on: April 05, 2020, 05:45:07 PM »

You know, you don't really appreciate things until you lose them. I miss my job, the customers, co-workers, my friends, chatting to them over the internet isn't the same as physically being there.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #441 on: April 05, 2020, 06:02:31 PM »

So yes.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #442 on: April 05, 2020, 06:07:07 PM »

Flattened? It's gotten steeper. Yes it's not accelerating as much, that's not flattening. I hope he just had a brain fart here.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: April 05, 2020, 06:27:52 PM »

Birx and Fauci seem to be implying we're getting close to a nationwide apex.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #444 on: April 05, 2020, 06:45:55 PM »

Birx and Fauci seem to be implying we're getting close to a nationwide apex.
Wow. Fauci said that?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #445 on: April 05, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »

Flattened? It's gotten steeper. Yes it's not accelerating as much, that's not flattening. I hope he just had a brain fart here.

"Not accelerating as much" is flattening.  You'll never see decreasing numbers of total cases/deaths, only flattening.

I hope you just had a brain fart here.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #446 on: April 05, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »

"Not accelerating as much" is flattening.  You'll never see decreasing numbers of total cases/deaths, only flattening.

Flattening would be fewer cases per day. That wasn't happening in recent days. Cases/day had an increasing slope.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #447 on: April 05, 2020, 07:02:21 PM »

Flattening would be fewer cases per day. That wasn't happening in recent days. Cases/day had an increasing slope.

Yes it seems like people are willfully defining "flattening" to be the seventh derivative being negative.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #448 on: April 05, 2020, 07:05:16 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/5 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'll be keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day. The percentages represent the daily increase from the last report.

3/26:
  • Cases: 85,390
  • Deaths: ±1,200

3/27:
  • Cases: 103,798 (+18,408 | ↑21.56%)
  • Deaths: 1,693 (+493 | ↑41.03%)

3/28:
  • Cases: 123,428 (+19,630 | ↑18.91%)
  • Deaths: 2,211 (+518 | ↑30.60%)

3/29:
  • Cases: 142,178 (+18,750 | ↑15.20%)
  • Deaths: 2,484 (+273 | ↑12.35%)

3/30:
  • Cases: 163,490 (+21,312 | ↑14.99%)
  • Deaths: 3,148 (+664 | ↑26.73%)

3/31:
  • Cases: 187,917 (+24,427 | ↑14.94%)
  • Deaths: 3,867 (+749 | ↑22.84%)

4/1:
  • Cases: 215,003 (+27,086 | ↑14.41%)
  • Deaths: 5,102 (+1,235 | ↑31.94%)

4/2:
  • Cases: 244,433 (+29,430 | ↑13.69%)
  • Deaths: 6,070 (+968 | ↑18.97%)

4/3:
  • Cases: 276,965 (+32,532 | ↑13.31%)
  • Deaths: 7,391 (+1,321 | ↑21.76%)

4/4 (Yesterday):
  • Cases: 311,357 (+34,392 | ↑12.42%)
  • Deaths: 8,452 (+1,061 | ↑14.36%)

4/5 (Today):
  • Cases: 336,327 (+24,970 | ↑8.02%)
  • Deaths: 9,605 (+1,153 | ↑13.64%)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #449 on: April 05, 2020, 07:07:54 PM »

Testing capacity is still ramping-up, so we should expect more positive tests as a result of expanded testing.  As Nate Silver says:

Only 6k more new cases over last Sunday, and that's in-spite of a more than 40% increase in testing.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies