Italy 2013: The official thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:43:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy 2013: The official thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 81
Author Topic: Italy 2013: The official thread  (Read 234245 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: February 09, 2013, 04:13:54 PM »

Silvio appreciates your support, Antonio!

Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1026 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »

BTW, the Europe constituency had only 9 lists running: PD, SEL, RC, Monti, PdL, M5S, FiD, some commie outfit nobody knows about, and a "local" Italians Abroad party. I would have liked more diversity, like in Italy at large. Sad
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #1027 on: February 09, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »

What's your experience of the campaign on the ground?

I live in a little municipality (7,000 residents) north of Milan and it has been very lackluster.
They barely put out posters so far. The free spaces for parties to put out electoral posters have been totally empty until few days ago. On Thursday PD sticked their posters. And on Friday Rivoluzione Civile added their material. Nothing from other lists.

And we also have regional elections. No "war of preferences" so far between council candidates. In the past there was usually materials from candidates asking for a personal vote (at regional level there aren't blocked lists like for MPs).

Nothing by post either. I guess they don't have much money and they are saving for a final push.

But lots of spots on youtube for Maroni. The last one is priceless....apparently people in Lombardy wake up early in the morning because they have to work and produce for the whole country.

Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #1028 on: February 09, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2013, 06:40:11 PM by Franknburger »

BTW, the Europe constituency had only 9 lists running: PD, SEL, RC, Monti, PdL, M5S, FiD, some commie outfit nobody knows about, and a "local" Italians Abroad party. I would have liked more diversity, like in Italy at large. Sad

You mean, like one man, one party?

But lots of spots on youtube for Maroni. The last one is priceless....apparently people in Lombardy wake up early in the morning because they have to work and produce for the whole country.

The last time I used an Italian product it was from Emilia Romana (Parma). Oh, I forgot about that wonderful Montepulciano d' Abruzzo. I alos remember a product from Torino I once used to drive. But what the hell are they working on in Lombardy, except for banking and fashion shows?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1029 on: February 09, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »

You mean, like one man, one party?

I just wanted to see the full slate of lists, yeah. All the choices from Fiamma Tricolore to some marxist-leninist outfits. Tongue
ERvND
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1030 on: February 09, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »

I hear that the industry is supporting Monti, big time. I guess they were rather pro-Berlusconi in 2006.

Will this make a difference?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1031 on: February 09, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »

What's your experience of the campaign on the ground?

I live in a little municipality (7,000 residents) north of Milan and it has been very lackluster.
They barely put out posters so far. The free spaces for parties to put out electoral posters have been totally empty until few days ago. On Thursday PD sticked their posters. And on Friday Rivoluzione Civile added their material. Nothing from other lists.

And we also have regional elections. No "war of preferences" so far between council candidates. In the past there was usually materials from candidates asking for a personal vote (at regional level there aren't blocked lists like for MPs).

Nothing by post either. I guess they don't have much money and they are saving for a final push.

The ground game in North/Central America consists of me, my friends and the Deputy's son/other confidants putting up signs in front of Italian clubs and Catholic Churches. Smiley
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #1032 on: February 10, 2013, 12:56:18 PM »

I'm going to Italy next weekend to campaign for Bersani in Lombardia and Lazio.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1033 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:35 PM »

Some Monti supporters say they want to support the PD guy for Lombaria regionals, instead to the "official" centrist candidate. Monti is VERY pissed off.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1034 on: February 10, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »

Some Monti supporters say they want to support the PD guy for Lombaria regionals, instead to the "official" centrist candidate. Monti is VERY pissed off.

Sure. Reasonable people must be worried and don't want to run to risk of letting Maroni get in.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1035 on: February 10, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »

Tactical voting.

ERVND: No, because SB is talking fairy tales instead of actual, ya know, policies. He'd screw up the economy even worse if by some nightmare he got back in.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1036 on: February 10, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »

Sure. Reasonable people must be worried and don't want to run to risk of letting Maroni get in.

Yeah, but Monti seemingly did not want "his" candidate (Albertini) to be sidelined, even though it's clear he can't win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1037 on: February 10, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »

Can one of the Italians explain what goes into get out the vote efforts in these elections? Italy almost always has astronomical turnout in national elections. It just seems like a given. It might sound silly but if 80-85% of people are coming out regardless, is there any really serious effort to push your side to the polls or is there more of an emphasis in having these policy debates to win over the undecideds in the run up to the election?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1038 on: February 10, 2013, 11:48:46 PM »

Can one of the Italians explain what goes into get out the vote efforts in these elections? Italy almost always has astronomical turnout in national elections. It just seems like a given. It might sound silly but if 80-85% of people are coming out regardless, is there any really serious effort to push your side to the polls or is there more of an emphasis in having these policy debates to win over the undecideds in the run up to the election?

I have never heard about significant efforts by parties to turn out their voters, honestly. I know I don't live in Italy, but I highly doubt GOTV is a big deal there. Really, the US is the only Western country where there is such a focus in making sure people vote (which reflects even more poorly on your turnout levels).
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1039 on: February 11, 2013, 05:17:36 AM »

I have never heard about significant efforts by parties to turn out their voters, honestly. I know I don't live in Italy, but I highly doubt GOTV is a big deal there. Really, the US is the only Western country where there is such a focus in making sure people vote (which reflects even more poorly on your turnout levels).
Atlasia Tongue
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #1040 on: February 11, 2013, 06:18:55 AM »

UK also have GOTV operations. In continental Europe we are much less focused on it.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #1041 on: February 11, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »

The last time I used an Italian product it was from Emilia Romana (Parma). Oh, I forgot about that wonderful Montepulciano d' Abruzzo. I alos remember a product from Torino I once used to drive. But what the hell are they working on in Lombardy, except for banking and fashion shows?

After a long thought, I come up with Panettoni!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1042 on: February 11, 2013, 06:51:28 AM »

We interrupt this exciting election for a Papal election.

I saw Italy's Grande Fratello put out an image with the caption "The next Pope" and Silvio's face photoshopped over Benedict's. Tongue
freek
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1043 on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »

We interrupt this exciting election for a Papal election.

I saw Italy's Grande Fratello put out an image with the caption "The next Pope" and Silvio's face photoshopped over Benedict's. Tongue
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1044 on: February 11, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »

UK also have GOTV operations. In continental Europe we are much less focused on it.

The Social Democrats here in Sweden often have GOTV efforts in poor immigrant communities, but besides that it's basicly unheard off.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1045 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »

There are no real GOTV efforts here as well.

Once in a while the parties send some goodies like pencils/lighters etc. with a party logo and an additional letter to young and first-time voters to encourage them to vote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1046 on: February 11, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »

Doesn't Italy have mandatory voting?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1047 on: February 11, 2013, 12:13:18 PM »

Theoretically yes, but this is not enforced.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1048 on: February 11, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »

Anyway, just "voted"! Cheesy

By "voted", I mean, my parents put a cross on the symbol I indicated and then put my ballot in the envelope... which of course looks nothing like really voting. Sad

Is that really legal?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1049 on: February 11, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »

Italy has compulsory voting? That's news to me.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 81  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies