What percentage of white Americans are racist against whites?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:01:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What percentage of white Americans are racist against whites?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What percentage of white Americans are racist against whites?
0%

0-10%

10-20%

20-30%

30-40%

40-50%

50-60%

60-70%

70-80%

80-90%

90-100%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: What percentage of white Americans are racist against whites?  (Read 10034 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 03:22:53 AM »

There's a good discussion to be had as to why some people feel that rising diversity in the U.S. could lead to a more just society. It's not likely to arise in this thread or elsewhere on the forum.

Does that obtain for all societies, or just to what would otherwise be more white societies, or just to the US? I see no reason not to get into whatever you think won't be gone into, and do it right now. Smiley

Its generally easier to get a majority for a relatively high tax level to fund social programmes and a high level of redistribution in a homogenous society, because you are funding "your own people" and raising living standards of people "who could have been me". But whether that kind of solidarity exists between White Americans is very doubtfull, since they are such a diverse group. Still its an interesting question if a less diverse America would have been somewhat more egalitarian. At least the "unworthy" stereotypes like welfare queens etc. that have been used to stigmatize the poor are almost always portrayed as minorities.   
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »

There's a good discussion to be had as to why some people feel that rising diversity in the U.S. could lead to a more just society. It's not likely to arise in this thread or elsewhere on the forum.

Does that obtain for all societies, or just to what would otherwise be more white societies, or just to the US? I see no reason not to get into whatever you think won't be gone into, and do it right now. Smiley

Its generally easier to get a majority for a relatively high tax level to fund social programmes and a high level of redistribution in a homogenous society, because you are funding "your own people" and raising living standards of people "who could have been me". But whether that kind of solidarity exists between White Americans is very doubtfull, since they are such a diverse group. Still its an interesting question if a less diverse America would have been somewhat more egalitarian. At least the "unworthy" stereotypes like welfare queens etc. that have been used to stigmatize the poor are almost always portrayed as minorities.   

Indeed. I highly doubt that Europe's recent skepticism of the welfare state and mass immigration are merely coincidental.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 07:38:25 AM »

Precisely. I have never lived anywhere else but these sorts of communities, hence my confusion over the white = yuppie suburbanite equation, but as I said this is an issue of class.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 09:07:16 AM »

Probably about 2 in 10 strongly support affirmative action and the other components of the war on whites.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »

Probably about 2 in 10 strongly support affirmative action and the other components of the war on whites.

Please explain how on Earth affirmative action is supposed to constitute a "war on whites", krazen. I've been rejected from a high school because of affirmative action - so don't try to pull the "of course you don't care, it doesn't affect you" card.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »

Please explain how on Earth affirmative action is supposed to constitute a "war on whites", krazen. I've been rejected from a high school because of affirmative action - so don't try to pull the "of course you don't care, it doesn't affect you" card.

I think he's making fun of the GOP's "War on Women"
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »

I would feel more uncomfortable in an all-white neighbourhood. White people tend to be pretentious yuppies or godawful suburbanites. Who would want to be among them? Plus, most of the worst people in the world are white.

I'm not racist though, because that would imply I believe whites to be genetically inferior, but I do trust them less, and loathe them more.

No it doesn't.  This is an overly narrow view of what constitutes racism.  Like rejectamenta said, people with racist attitudes use this type of reasoning all the time to justify their racism.  "Well, I don't think it's genetic, so I'm not racist."

Simply judging people based on unfair negative stereotypes associated with their race is racist, IMHO.  That is, it's a racist attitude.  Now, whether a single racist attitude makes someone "a racist person" is another question.  How much racism do you need to be a racist?  But that's not what the thread title asks.  It asks about being racist against a group.....which one could hypothetically do without being "a racist", depending on how one defines "a racist".

Stereotypes are not meant to be all inclusive usually, but more of a tendency. So if you say, given the stereotype, odds are that X individual fits it given his tribe, is that racist? And suppose the stereotype is true - X group statistically has certain Y tendencies, more so than the population overall?  

Racist = judging someone based on the stereotype without knowing whether they, as individuals, live up to the stereotype.  E.g., a black man you've just met mentions to you that he's looking for a place to live, and you don't mention to him that the apartment that you live in has openings, because you think that he's more likely than a white man to bring crime or drugs to the building you live in, or what have you.  That is racist, yes.  It does not mean that you *hate* blacks as a collective group, or that you think they're genetically inferior or something.  But it is racist.

Clearly unfair, and intellectually lazy, and actually cruel really, but per se racist?  I don't know. I suppose yes, if having got to know the guy better, and found he is an "exception" to the stereotype, he does not change his behavior towards him.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »

All of the ones on Tumblr.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »

I would feel more uncomfortable in an all-white neighbourhood. White people tend to be pretentious yuppies or godawful suburbanites. Who would want to be among them? Plus, most of the worst people in the world are white.

I'm not racist though, because that would imply I believe whites to be genetically inferior, but I do trust them less, and loathe them more.

No it doesn't.  This is an overly narrow view of what constitutes racism.  Like rejectamenta said, people with racist attitudes use this type of reasoning all the time to justify their racism.  "Well, I don't think it's genetic, so I'm not racist."

Simply judging people based on unfair negative stereotypes associated with their race is racist, IMHO.  That is, it's a racist attitude.  Now, whether a single racist attitude makes someone "a racist person" is another question.  How much racism do you need to be a racist?  But that's not what the thread title asks.  It asks about being racist against a group.....which one could hypothetically do without being "a racist", depending on how one defines "a racist".

Stereotypes are not meant to be all inclusive usually, but more of a tendency. So if you say, given the stereotype, odds are that X individual fits it given his tribe, is that racist? And suppose the stereotype is true - X group statistically has certain Y tendencies, more so than the population overall?  

Racist = judging someone based on the stereotype without knowing whether they, as individuals, live up to the stereotype.  E.g., a black man you've just met mentions to you that he's looking for a place to live, and you don't mention to him that the apartment that you live in has openings, because you think that he's more likely than a white man to bring crime or drugs to the building you live in, or what have you.  That is racist, yes.  It does not mean that you *hate* blacks as a collective group, or that you think they're genetically inferior or something.  But it is racist.

Clearly unfair, and intellectually lazy, and actually cruel really, but per se racist?  I don't know. I suppose yes, if having got to know the guy better, and found he is an "exception" to the stereotype, he does not change his behavior towards him.

You'd actually consider *not* calling the scenario I described racism?  Seems like a textbook example to me.  It is "discrimination or prejudice based on race".  I don't understand this narrowcasting of racism so that it only includes outright hatred, or racial nationalism.  Though maybe we need different words for the different kinds of racism.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »

Between 0 and 20, depending on what counts as racism. There are white people that only want to marry and have children with non-whites, for example. Is that a white person being racist against a white person?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2013, 02:57:40 AM »

Hmm.. well, I live among non-whites, largely, but I do always 'hang out with' a few whites (mostly French).  Generally speaking I can't really tolerate hanging out with Americans anymore, no, not at all.  Germans and suchlike I can usually tolerate for a while, but hardly consistently.  I'd say its just the French for me, oddly enough.  Maybe an Australian or Brit in the mix.. outside the Asians, obviously.
It seems unlikely to me that French would choose to emigrate from such a "good" country, their residence in Thailand seems to me counter intuitive.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2013, 04:19:19 AM »

...its just the French for me, oddly enough.

It seems unlikely to me that French would choose to emigrate from such a "good" country, their residence in Thailand seems to me counter intuitive.

They like supple, smooth, brown skinned lads or lasses 10-30 years their junior...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »

...its just the French for me, oddly enough.

They like supple, smooth, brown skinned lads or lasses 10-30 years their junior...

You said there were a lot of Austrians and Germans there, right?  (Bruno Reference)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »

I think he's making fun of the GOP's "War on Women"

No, that term, and indeed Krazen's dredging it up from the sewers of his mind, well predate the "War on Women" bit.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2013, 04:27:38 PM »

Contemptable. When it rains, the worms come out.

Krazen: Embarassing blue avatars by association since 2010.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2013, 04:33:28 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2013, 04:48:22 PM by Torie »

I do sometimes wonder in my more paranoid moments as to whether krazen is a Dem mole inside the Pub tent. Smiley  
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »

Contemptable. When it rains, the worms come out.

Krazen: Embarassing blue avatars humanity by association since 2010.

fixed
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »

Rich educated urban whites-including open-minded,"tolerant" white liberals-tend to stereotype and dismiss poor or working-class whites, particularly rural ones, as "uneducated, ignorant hicks" who have yet to be "enlightened" like the yuppie class has been. Then they wonder why a growing number of the people they hold in contempt are voting Republican (although not at the same rate as rich whites, FWIW).
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2013, 08:41:38 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2013, 08:46:12 PM by HockeyDude »

1.  I know full-blooded Irish guys who are darker than you are.

2.  Toomey is a member of the Congressional Hispanic Conference.

3.  Being half-Portuguese does not make one a "Hispanic."  I am more of a Mestizo than you are.  As others have noted, check out which continent Portugal is on.  Also note that if we're doing the whole whiteness-as-blood-guilt thing that the Portuguese are responsible for way more than their fair share of slavery and genocide of native peoples.

Guilty?  I've done nothing wrong.  I would just rather not be one of them.  If the face of the white man ceases to be a spoiled, entitled, racist, paranoid baby... hey, maybe I won't be so embarrassed to be associated. 

That said... I'm not making any argument that I am not genetically white... I most certainly am.  I'm just saying a POLICY of the U.S. Census Bureau allows me to call myself Hispanic if I so please.  So... why not?  I already told you it's pretty funny to me. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies