Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:20:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 344371 times)
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« on: October 20, 2021, 05:14:34 PM »

I've seen enough, Glenn Youngkin (R) has defeated Terry McAuliffe (D) in the Virginia Governor's Race.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 08:05:40 PM »

First of all, the McAuliffe quote about "parents not being able to decide the curriculum" or whatever has been blown WAY out of proportion. I mean parents don't get to decide every single part of the curriculum, that's literally not their job. Sure they should have input, they can vote for school board --- or run for it.

I have to ask, is it true that this sample was 50-49 Trump? Because that's kind of important info being left out if that's true.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 08:27:46 PM »

First of all, the McAuliffe quote about "parents not being able to decide the curriculum" or whatever has been blown WAY out of proportion. I mean parents don't get to decide every single part of the curriculum, that's literally not their job. Sure they should have input, they can vote for school board --- or run for it.

I have to ask, is it true that this sample was 50-49 Trump? Because that's kind of important info being left out if that's true.

It's not just a quote, he vetoed a bipartisan "bill permitting parents to block sexually explicit books in school".

The bill was so broad it could have applied to the works of William Shakespeare and Toni Morrison.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »

I have no idea what's going to happen on Tuesday. But if you told me 2 1/2 years ago that a Republican would get elected Governor of Virginia and not because of Ralph Northam, I probably wouldn't have believed you.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 11:04:30 AM »

This thread has really become --- something.

Either way, it's not a sure bet by any means, but Youngkin is the favorite right now, and I'm saying that as a Democrat who wants McAuliffe to win. Maybe some of the others here who are from Virginia have some information that I don't have, but Youngkin has the momentum and is now leading in the polling averages.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 01:15:21 PM »

This thread has really become --- something.

Either way, it's not a sure bet by any means, but Youngkin is the favorite right now, and I'm saying that as a Democrat who wants McAuliffe to win. Maybe some of the others here who are from Virginia have some information that I don't have, but Youngkin has the momentum and is now leading in the polling averages.

Nope, and there haven't been *that* many polls, and that likely bogus Fox poll is skewing the averages.

Obviously the Fox Poll was biased. Youngkin is not winning the election by eight, but it is clear that he has the momentum and his supporters are much more motivated. It is also very close right now and McAuliffe can still pull this out, but he hasn't run a good campaign.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »

I think Glenn Youngkin is probably going to win, McAuliffe has run a sh**tty campaign. Also, Chris Hurst is probably going to lose in HD-12.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 12:24:27 PM »

Is there any reason why polls close so early in VA? 7PM doesn't leave much time for the after-work crowd.

The polls close way too early in most of America. We should be a lot more like the UK where the polls close at 10 PM.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 04:55:52 PM »

LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 04:58:47 PM »

So in his last pitch McAuliffe had nothing more to say than "Trump bad" and kept bringing up Youngkin's Trump endorsement. Youngkin actually spent his last pitch talking about his policies.

And that's why McAuliffe is losing. It would've helped if Democrats passed most of their agenda though too.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 05:34:11 PM »

If Youngkin doesn't win there are going to be a whole lot of angry blue avatars on here. They are boosting themselves up for a landslide that might not even happened based on an early exit poll.

And even if he does win you won't see Democrats threatening violence or demanding audits. That is the difference between the parties.

lol. You forget riots in 2020 by your friends. And accusation of fraud in 2000, 2004, georgia,...

What riots in 2020? And the fraud accusations in 2000 and 2004 were nowhere near as mainstream among Democrats as the fraud allegations are amongst Republicans. Don't reply to my posts with your silly self.

BLM riots but I see that you are in denial. Even for the rest. lol.

You were implying that there were riots over the election. No one is talking about BLM, but of course you people have to bring it up at every turn. Typical.

please...

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37946231

That's from 2016, you said there were riots over the election in 2020. You lied and got called out. Let it go.

lol. The riots in 2020 were BLM riots. After, i prove to you that dems can also riot when they lose elections.

Random people rioting is not the same thing as actual Republican elected officials organizing an attack on the US Capitol and actively trying to overturn legitimate election results. You are comparing apples to oranges.

The people who were rioting in places like Portland in the summer of 2020 were repeatedly condemned by Biden and they often held signs like "We don't want Biden, we want revenge"
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 06:01:30 PM »

Polls closed, NBC has it as Too Early To Call. No surprise there.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 07:43:14 PM »

The national environment will certainly be better for Democrats next year, as the economy improves and as the issues with the supply chain get sorted out. The problem is, that only means better than 12 points worse than they did in 2020. They have a LOT of work to do to win back what they've lost.

EDIT: Also as they get more done.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 07:49:56 PM »

LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »

I've seen enough, calling it for Youngkin. I really don't have any idea how TMac can pull it out. This should be a wake up call for the powers that be in the Democratic Party, but based on what I've seen, it won't be.

Of course it won't be. They've been trying the "orange man bad" strategy for the past 5 years in NH.

All they have to show for it are a 33-point loss and giving Sununu a trifecta.

People are focusing MUCH more on this race than NH Governor as it was far from the top race last year, but I get where you're coming from.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 07:57:23 PM »

The national environment will certainly be better for Democrats next year, as the economy improves and as the issues with the supply chain get sorted out. The problem is, that only means better than 12 points worse than they did in 2020. They have a LOT of work to do to win back what they've lost.

"as the economy improves"

This was supposed to be a V shaped year with a massive economic recovery and double digit growth.

Instead, it's been anything but.

It's possible that a general decline of coronavirus could bring the world economy, and thus the US, higher. But with the virus having actually gotten worse since Biden took office, and with inflation etc on track to only continue to grow, there's no reason to think the economy will just magically improve over the next 12 months. It could -- but it could also stay stagnant, or fall.

Uh coronavirus has not gotten worse. When Biden took office, we were at over 200,000 cases per day. They're still high today, but less than half that. The only reason why they're as high as they are right now is because of people choosing not to get vaccinated. And the CDC just authorized Pfizer in children ages 5-11.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 08:03:17 PM »

I'm watching New Jersey State Senate District 16 to see if former Congressman Mike Pappas who lost reelection in 1998 after his performance of "Twinkle Twinkle Kenneth Starr", can make a political comeback tonight and hold the seat for the Republicans.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 11:28:47 PM »

NBC calls it for Youngkin. GOP pickup.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 11:57:12 AM »

I don't see how gaining 7k more Rs in the same period means Rs will perform better in a neutral setting, after Dems just gained over 200k+ more from 2016-2020.

I don't see how Ciatarelli can make it pretty close either, unless you count Murphy +10 as "pretty close"

Dems gained 220k over Republicans yet Biden won NJ with roughly the same margin that Clinton did.

It's not so much that 7k is a lot. It's more of a symbol of Republicans' wave.
In a neutral setting, I'd imagine that Dems would register something like 1.2-1.5 more voters than Republicans in NJ. The fact that Republicans are outpacing Democrats in a blue state means Republicans have the enthusiasm.

I think Murphy will end up winning by 4-5 points instead of 10, when considering that Murphy was lucky enough to run in a year in which voters hated Christie, and that Independents will probably swing back more Republican in a red wave year.

It's going to be a more Republican year, but on the other hand, in 2017, Murphy was seen a rich guy with no substance. NJ was hit hard, but Murphy has been popular throughout the pandemic, though his approvals have dropped from their highs in the spring of 2020. He'll probably underperform Biden's 2020 numbers, but 4-5 points seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

"Oh waiter, one order of crow!"
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »

I'm glad I tempered my expectations for this race after the Tox poll gave me an ulcer. In spite of this, that poll being an outlier after all and me actually nailing my updated Youngkin+2 prediction were the only minor silver linings. It was an excruciating night otherwise, like every election since 2014 (2027 and 2019 excepted).

I want to be sedated.

See? I f***ing knew we couldn't trust suburbanites in general. They hate Trump, but only him personally. They're like relapsing addicts with the GOP without him.

So if Democrats can't rely on them, or even voters of color anymore, what does a winning Democratic coalition even look like? Let's face it, we're going the way of the British Labour Party but we can't even partly blame Scotland like they can.

I'd argue that the British Labour Party took Scotland for granted for a long time in the same way that Democrats have taken many of their voters for granted for a long time, even as they've had the best interests of those voters at heart.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies