Favorite 1920s Republican POTUS (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:44:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite 1920s Republican POTUS (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Harding (D)

Harding (R)

Harding (I/O)

Coolidge (D)

Coolidge (R)

Coolidge (I/O)

Hoover (D)

Hoover (R)

Hoover (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Favorite 1920s Republican POTUS  (Read 1175 times)
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« on: July 11, 2020, 02:47:16 AM »

Here is an interesting excerpt from Hoover's sort-of autobiography. It's not a good look - he opposed FDR aligning with Stalin and seems to be ok with Hitler conquering all of Continental Europe.

When American alliance with Russia in the Second World War loomed up at the time of Hitler’s attack upon Stalin, I stated in a nation-wide address on June 29, 1941: "Now we find ourselves promising aid to Stalin and his militant Communist conspiracy against the whole democratic ideals of the world.... It makes the whole argument of our joining the war to bring the four freedoms to mankind a gargantuan jest.... If we go further and join the war and we win, then we have won for Stalin the grip of Communism on Russia and more opportunity for it to extend in the world.... Statesmanship demands that the United States stand aside in watchful waiting, armed to the teeth, while these men exhaust themselves. Then the most powerful and potent nation in the world can talk to mankind with a voice that will be heard. If we get involved in this struggle we, too, will be exhausted and feeble. To align American ideals alongside Stalin will be as great a violation of everything American as to align ourselves with Hitler...

I am convinced Germany will defeat Russia and dispose of that infecting center of Communism. And I am convinced that at the end of the campaign, which I think will move rapidly, that Hitler will propose terms to the British that they will accept. I am hoping for this speech only that it may help stay our hands from the trigger until these events arrive...

https://www.bradford-delong.com/2018/08/herbert-hoover-as-bad-to-ally-with-stalin-and-churchill-against-hitler-as-to-ally-with-hitler-against-stalin-and-churchill.html
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies