Favorite 1920s Republican POTUS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:17:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite 1920s Republican POTUS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Harding (D)

Harding (R)

Harding (I/O)

Coolidge (D)

Coolidge (R)

Coolidge (I/O)

Hoover (D)

Hoover (R)

Hoover (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Favorite 1920s Republican POTUS  (Read 1138 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2020, 02:53:23 PM »

Harding.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 03:01:12 PM »

Hoover
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »

Coolidge and its not even close
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 03:19:49 PM »

His Administration saw the granting of citizenship to Indigenous people, the first president to go against segregation publicly, and the pardoning of Eugene V. Debs. Considering the latter two were just as economically conservative and led the nation in a more conservative way, the choice is clear.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »

Each was significantly worse than the last
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »

I have a great affection for Hoover.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 06:11:47 PM »

Surprised you like Harding over Hoover since Harding was to Hoover's right and more corrupt
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »

Hoover was dealt a bad hand by Harding and Coolidge.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 06:31:54 PM »

Hoover and it isn't even close.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 08:05:03 PM »

Surprised you like Harding over Hoover since Harding was to Hoover's right and more corrupt

Everyone always points this out like the question of who pardoned Debs is a mystery.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 08:29:41 PM »

His Administration saw the granting of citizenship to Indigenous people, the first president to go against segregation publicly, and the pardoning of Eugene V. Debs. Considering the latter two were just as economically conservative and led the nation in a more conservative way, the choice is clear.

It was actually Calvin Coolidge who signed the Indian Citizenship Act, which was enacted in 1924, the year after Harding's death.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 08:57:26 PM »

More corrupt is an insane stretch. What scandal was Harding involved in that was worse than lying about the cause of a depression and blaming it on an entire race of people?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 01:10:39 AM »

All were awful. I guess Coolidge was the least obviously and directly awful. Plus that “You lose” anecdote is funny even if fake. So I guess it’s him by default.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 01:47:41 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2020, 01:50:59 AM by Old School Republican »

Hope this also snaps this forum of the idea that the 1920s GOP was somehow more moderate than today's GOP . Like literally everything the left claims they hate the modern gop for, the gop then was that on steirods

On Economics- The GOP cut taxes more in the 1920s, cut domestic spending by a greater proportion, were more anti union and were far more laaize faire on economics than the modern gop and it isnt even close

On Immigration- The Immigration Bill the GOP passed in 1924 makes Tom Cotton's immigration bill look like an open borders bill

Being in supportive of keeping marijuana banned- The GOP of the 1920s were a strong proponent of prohibition

Also under Trump the First Step Act while the GOP with massive majorities throughout the 1920s got almost nothing done on civil rights then.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 09:05:31 AM »

Hoover
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 05:50:02 PM »

All three were pretty flawed. Hoover had the most impressive career pre and post Presidency, but his Presidency itself was objectively the worst of the three. Coolidge had the easiest Presidency of the three and did nothing special with it. One has to wonder how he would've fared in less favorable circumstances. Harding was laughably incompetent and corrupt.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 07:00:31 PM »

Hasn’t the academic consensus come around to the fact that Hoover was put in an unwinnable situation? 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 07:23:36 PM »

Hasn’t the academic consensus come around to the fact that Hoover was put in an unwinnable situation? 

Not really ,

Hoover still refused to bail out the banks in the banking crises of 1930 and it was the banking crisis of 1930 not the 1929 crash when things really started to plummet

He still appointed a hard money guy to the fed

He still signed Smoot Hawley
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 02:47:16 AM »

Here is an interesting excerpt from Hoover's sort-of autobiography. It's not a good look - he opposed FDR aligning with Stalin and seems to be ok with Hitler conquering all of Continental Europe.

When American alliance with Russia in the Second World War loomed up at the time of Hitler’s attack upon Stalin, I stated in a nation-wide address on June 29, 1941: "Now we find ourselves promising aid to Stalin and his militant Communist conspiracy against the whole democratic ideals of the world.... It makes the whole argument of our joining the war to bring the four freedoms to mankind a gargantuan jest.... If we go further and join the war and we win, then we have won for Stalin the grip of Communism on Russia and more opportunity for it to extend in the world.... Statesmanship demands that the United States stand aside in watchful waiting, armed to the teeth, while these men exhaust themselves. Then the most powerful and potent nation in the world can talk to mankind with a voice that will be heard. If we get involved in this struggle we, too, will be exhausted and feeble. To align American ideals alongside Stalin will be as great a violation of everything American as to align ourselves with Hitler...

I am convinced Germany will defeat Russia and dispose of that infecting center of Communism. And I am convinced that at the end of the campaign, which I think will move rapidly, that Hitler will propose terms to the British that they will accept. I am hoping for this speech only that it may help stay our hands from the trigger until these events arrive...

https://www.bradford-delong.com/2018/08/herbert-hoover-as-bad-to-ally-with-stalin-and-churchill-against-hitler-as-to-ally-with-hitler-against-stalin-and-churchill.html
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 06:00:18 AM »

All are very bad, but I went Harding for basically the same reasons PSOL gave.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »

Here is an interesting excerpt from Hoover's sort-of autobiography. It's not a good look - he opposed FDR aligning with Stalin and seems to be ok with Hitler conquering all of Continental Europe.

When American alliance with Russia in the Second World War loomed up at the time of Hitler’s attack upon Stalin, I stated in a nation-wide address on June 29, 1941: "Now we find ourselves promising aid to Stalin and his militant Communist conspiracy against the whole democratic ideals of the world.... It makes the whole argument of our joining the war to bring the four freedoms to mankind a gargantuan jest.... If we go further and join the war and we win, then we have won for Stalin the grip of Communism on Russia and more opportunity for it to extend in the world.... Statesmanship demands that the United States stand aside in watchful waiting, armed to the teeth, while these men exhaust themselves. Then the most powerful and potent nation in the world can talk to mankind with a voice that will be heard. If we get involved in this struggle we, too, will be exhausted and feeble. To align American ideals alongside Stalin will be as great a violation of everything American as to align ourselves with Hitler...

I am convinced Germany will defeat Russia and dispose of that infecting center of Communism. And I am convinced that at the end of the campaign, which I think will move rapidly, that Hitler will propose terms to the British that they will accept. I am hoping for this speech only that it may help stay our hands from the trigger until these events arrive...

https://www.bradford-delong.com/2018/08/herbert-hoover-as-bad-to-ally-with-stalin-and-churchill-against-hitler-as-to-ally-with-hitler-against-stalin-and-churchill.html

This wasn't too uncommon a perspective back then.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 02:59:56 PM »

Harding wasn't particularly corrupt, he just had corrupt friends and didn't do enuf about them. If he hadn't died, I think he would have had a decent chance to turn things around and get reelected in 1924. In any case, had he lived, Hoover would not have been elected in 1928.  He lucked into the nomination because Coolidge unexpectedly announced in early 1928 that he wasn't running for a second full term. Hoover had the name recognition to win a short nomination battle, but not the political clout to win a longer one.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »

Of course Hoover didn't want to ally with Stalin. Perhaps no Westerner alive had witnessed the horrors of communism more fully than Hoover had at that point. How much time, money, effort, and political capital had Hoover invested into combating Russian collectivization famines at that point? Hoover and his allies fed more people in the Russian famine of 1921-22 alone than the total of every single person killed in the Holocaust, Jewish and non-Jewish. Hoover never saw the Soviets as any less evil than the Nazis, and if we seriously consider his life experiences, it's not hard to see why.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »

All three are great.  Harding is my “Spirit President,” so I gave my vote to him.  However, Coolidge is my favorite in more “political” terms or whatever, as I appreciate the dignity and temperament he gave to the office.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2020, 01:33:08 PM »

All three are great.  Harding is my “Spirit President,” so I gave my vote to him.  However, Coolidge is my favorite in more “political” terms or whatever, as I appreciate the dignity and temperament he gave to the office.

How can you think Harding and Hoover were Great Presidents while thinking Trump as a bad one .

Hoover presidency was basically Trump’s except we had 3 and a half years of massive incompetence dealing with a major crises instead of 9 months . The 1929 crash while yes did make a recession inevitable the depth and length of the depression was cause of his massive incompetence.

- He literally let the financial system collapse in fall of 1930 as he refused to bail the banks out . This is what led to a collapse in money supply

- He literally appoint hard money guys at the Fed so the blame people give to the fed also goes to him because he appointed Eugene Meyer

- He signed Smoot Hawley into law

The idea that he was unlucky and there was nothing that could be done about it is pretty ridiculous given these 3 major major things .

2008 by many indications was worse than 1929 but we responded well so we didn’t have a repeat of the depression and the way we responded was literally doing the opposite of what Hoover did
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies