IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:41:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 114372 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: February 08, 2017, 04:13:53 PM »

I would say I hope we nominate literally anybody else, but I remembered that Pritzker is probably running. Ugh.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:16:52 PM »

Lipinski to face a primary challenge.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:35:35 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2017, 01:02:29 PM by SJoyce »

Sure seems like it. I'll be voting Pawar if that's the field. I do think there's an opening for a candidate like Andy Manar, who would be the sole representative from downstate in the field and who would stand a shot at consolidating labor behind his campaign.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:41:16 PM »

Not a big fan of Biss, despite his U of C ties - I remember he was linked to a lot of "pension reform" efforts.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:43:01 AM »

Not a big fan of Biss, despite his U of C ties - I remember he was linked to a lot of "pension reform" efforts.

He seems to have come around on that issue. Also, other than this, I've known him to be fairly progressive. Illinois really doesn't have any great candidates to run against Rauner, but I probably agree with Biss more than Kennedy and I think he would do better in a general than Pawar.

I'm holding out hope for Andy Manar, who has a proven record of winning downstate. He's also made a name as a friend of labor, engineered a good plan on school funding, and has made automatic voter registration one of his signature issues in Springfield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »

Scott Drury sure sounds like he's running for Governor.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »

Saw every Democratic candidate last weekend (except Pawar). Very impressed by Biss and thought Pritzker also handled himself very well—I don't know if I'd vote for him in the primary, but I'd be comfortable voting for him in the general, his heart seems like it's in the right place. Chris Kennedy was, uh, an experience.

Straw poll afterwards (among College Democrats) had Biss around 75%, Kennedy and Pritzker around 12% each.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 12:18:28 AM »

Saw every Democratic candidate last weekend (except Pawar). Very impressed by Biss and thought Pritzker also handled himself very well—I don't know if I'd vote for him in the primary, but I'd be comfortable voting for him in the general, his heart seems like it's in the right place. Chris Kennedy was, uh, an experience.

Straw poll afterwards (among College Democrats) had Biss around 75%, Kennedy and Pritzker around 12% each.

Kennedy that bad huh?
He was less than comfortable during most of the Q&A sessions. Not a good vibe about him—Rauner isn't particularly special, but without a lot of prep between now and then I don't think he'd handle himself very well in a debate.

Well Biss and Kennedy aren't exactly poor.
Huh? Kennedy is loaded, but Biss made $33K last year. His normal salary (when the state actually has a budget) is around $54K. Relative to Kennedy and Pritzker, that's pocket change.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »

It's almost as if there's an army of morons standing in his way!

That "army of morons" has been in control for quite a while now. They've always been able to pass a budget. Even when there was a Republican governor, Thompson and Edgar and Ryan were all able to get a budget passed. That all seems to suggest the problem is not with anyone in the legislature or even with the party of the governor, but rather with the individual currently occupying the office.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »

AFL-CIO for Pritzker
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »

Albeit on a relatively narrow vote, with most of the big unions (AFSCME and the teachers) opposed. This is essentially just a signal of support from the building trades - the big-money unions in the AFL-CIO, as well as the SEIU and the Teamsters, are still in play for the other candidates.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »

Rauner's problem is that his name is going to be on the ballot, and not Mike Madigan's, so even if Illinois voters blame both equally for the last 3 years, they will only have one clear outlet to express their rage.

I never understood why Madigan is not running for governor? Not that I would like it (at least by knowing what I know about the dude).

He would probably have less power as governor, and would also lose.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 11:45:48 PM »

kennedy apparently told a bunch of old people "if you don't vote for me you'll die alone"
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »

kennedy apparently told a bunch of old people "if you don't vote for me you'll die alone"
Link to an article/video, please.
friend of a friend was there
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 07:14:02 AM »

Once the goons of Pritzker and Madigan pick up on this, Kennedy might be dead. We better hope at least Drury runs.
Speak for yourself. I'm an Illinois resident and I couldn't care less about the campaigns of Chris Kennedy or Scott Drury (current preference order is 1. Biss, 2. Pawar)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 08:07:04 AM »

When you already have the nation's highest property taxes, yeah it kinda is—or at least it's enough not to dismiss it as minor.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »

Video proof or article would be better, if this is somehow real though...

Here's the video.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 06:43:18 PM »

Goddamnit. The first Kennedy to show some ambition in decades and he has to blow a winnable race. God f****** damnit.
Robert Kennedy will win this one tonight for you
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »

Question for Illinois Dems/Indies- If Kennedy & Pritzer both suck, who's the best candidate in your eyes? Biss?

I don't vote in IL but I'll be knocking doors for Biss. If I thought Pawar had a better chance to win I'd flip to him. Pritzker would be my choice against Kennedy or Drury.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 11:56:11 PM »

It's downright bizarre how Biss is pretending to be a Bernie-ite or something given he's a braindead Madigan stooge who voted to gut the pension system. Very surreal.

Who he's running against helps immensely in that regard
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 08:39:15 PM »

biased but I think Biss clearly won this round. he's competing with Pawar for the "Bernie lane" - Rosa burnishes Biss's progressive credentials, while Coleman has the opposite effect for Pawar
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »

Is it common for gubernatorial candidates in IL to announce their LG picks this early? It seems weird to me

you need to have an LG to start collecting ballot petitions
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »

So does no one want to run with Chris Kennedy? LMAO. Even Tio Hardiman (who is apparently a real person) has an LG candidate.

my personal theory is that CK is dropping out soon
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »

just when I thought I couldn't support Biss any more than I do!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »

Why would Kwame Raoul give up his current job to jump on a losing gubernatorial campaign?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies