Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:17:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas  (Read 11020 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2017, 08:03:29 PM »

So, because I trust this for him to come up with news rather than just my listening to NPR and the BBC, is there any clue yet what this dudes motive was?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2017, 08:12:52 PM »

So, because I trust this for him to come up with news rather than just my listening to NPR and the BBC, is there any clue yet what this dudes motive was?
Rumors about gambling debts. That's about it.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2017, 08:17:35 PM »

Sounds more and more like this guy was a deranged psychopath who wanted to kill.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2017, 08:21:34 PM »

I wonder if he had a brain tumor.  That's all it took to set Charles Whitman off.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2017, 08:33:40 PM »

What ever happened to the increased mental health funding that Republicans supposedly supported before? Oh, that's considered "nanny state welfare", gotcha. Also the crusade against taking guns away from mentally unfit people due to Alzheimer's, etc shows that nothing will ever be done with the current Congress.

I haven't seen any evidence the shooter had Alzheimers.

Wasn't trying to say it was the case this time. Just that whole outrage by the NRA about "the government will declare you mentally unfit and take your guns away if this passes" was the fear mongering over not letting people with decreased mental capacity in old age or otherwise have guns.

I don't know how that's any more fear mongering than responding to acts of violence by taking away rights from disabled people who didn't have anything to do with it.

Guarenteed you fully support taking away felons right to vote and own guns which are their constituitional rights. I just prefer it someone who has no sense of anything not have a gun. Maybe we should go the way of abortion clinics in Republican states though. Only have one gun store in a 500 mile radius, you need to drive there and wait the three day waiting period and give full access to all personal accounts just for funsies. So while legal to get it just makes it crazy difficult! Just an FYI, I own a pistol, have no problem with law abiding, fully mentally sound people owning them.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »

1. He was apparently a Multi-Millionaire

2. He passed a mental health test, to become a pilot

3. He never had a problem with the law

4. He was in a happy relationship

https://www.yahoo.com/news/portrait-mass-killer-details-dont-add-231217887.html

To earn his private pilot license, which recently lapsed, Paddock would have had to prove that he hadn’t been diagnosed with psychosis, bipolar disorder or any severe personality disorder.

Paddock wasn’t a loner, either: He had a girlfriend, 62-year-old Marilou Danley, and he had been married before, 27 years ago, to a woman now living in Southern California.

And Paddock did well financially, first as an accountant or auditor (at one point for Lockheed Martin), then buying, selling and managing properties, and finally, in retirement, as a “professional gambler” (his term) who, according to a Washington Post report, would take frequent trips to Las Vegas with Danley to play high-stakes poker.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »

So a rich person with no medical, mental or criminal background red flags, gets his hands on an illegal weapons and ammunition cache and then shoots up a packed concert from an elevated position.

I wonder if he had a brain tumor.  That's all it took to set Charles Whitman off.

I was thinking the same. Though I was not aware that was what motivated Whitman.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »

The President refused to call it "domestic terrorism" and did not call for action. I'm sick of politicians trying to grand stand.

His speech wasn't a call to action, it was useless grandstanding. Thus, it was inappropriate.

This is the brand of hypocritical hackery that drives me insane.

When the right would get mad that Obama would refuse to impulsively label tragedies as terrorist attacks, the left defended him by saying that he was a composed leader who didn't want to disrespect victims by politicizing the events. Trump takes that very course of action today...making a respectful statement that acknowledged the victims' families and thanked the first responders without fanning political flames...and you want to crucify him for it. I'd be willing to bet that if Obama was president and made the exact same speech word-for-word, you'd be hailing it as a levelheaded and presidential response.

As far as the rest of this thread, there are a lot of people who should be ashamed of themselves. Almost sixty people died as a result of this event. Sixty people who have families and friends who are in the wake of a horrible tragedy right now. Fathers and mothers who will never see their children again, and sons and daughters who will never see their parents again. To use such a terrible circumstance as a platform for "Trump is bad" is quite disrespectful and says a lot for your collective character.
Give me a break. Nothing about Trump's response was meant to be tempered and to not politicize the deaths. He didn't call it terrorism because the shooter was a white man.

Stop working overtime to make Trump's critics look like flip floppers when he himself is the hypocrite. When Muslims commit attacks he is right on the frontline ready to condemn it and remark about how evil the Muslims are and how they want to threaten "our" way of life. When whites are the perpetrators he drags his feet and gives half assed remarks with no passion. And we know this man knows how to show complete and utter hatred for what he dislikes. Cut the sh*t. Calling out double standards and demanding Trump live up to the standards he demanded of President Obama is not the left's hypocrisy, it is Trump's.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »

Action on what?

We don't why this guy did this.

Who are we support to "act" on at this hour? Do we just go shooting up a bunch of "likely suspects foreign or domestic?

We don't know how he obtained the weapons or ammunition, how we are suppose to ban something that he may and likely have already acquired illegally?

I am all for background checks, mental health etc and have called the GOP out many times on under-funding health care including mental health, but at this hour, I cannot say anything as to "pass x" to make sure this never happens again, because frankly, we still don't know all what happened beyond why I just posted in my summary post above.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »

The President refused to call it "domestic terrorism" and did not call for action. I'm sick of politicians trying to grand stand.

His speech wasn't a call to action, it was useless grandstanding. Thus, it was inappropriate.

This is the brand of hypocritical hackery that drives me insane.

When the right would get mad that Obama would refuse to impulsively label tragedies as terrorist attacks, the left defended him by saying that he was a composed leader who didn't want to disrespect victims by politicizing the events. Trump takes that very course of action today...making a respectful statement that acknowledged the victims' families and thanked the first responders without fanning political flames...and you want to crucify him for it. I'd be willing to bet that if Obama was president and made the exact same speech word-for-word, you'd be hailing it as a levelheaded and presidential response.

As far as the rest of this thread, there are a lot of people who should be ashamed of themselves. Almost sixty people died as a result of this event. Sixty people who have families and friends who are in the wake of a horrible tragedy right now. Fathers and mothers who will never see their children again, and sons and daughters who will never see their parents again. To use such a terrible circumstance as a platform for "Trump is bad" is quite disrespectful and says a lot for your collective character.
Give me a break. Nothing about Trump's response was meant to be tempered and to not politicize the deaths. He didn't call it terrorism because the shooter was a white man.

Stop working overtime to make Trump's critics look like flip floppers when he himself is the hypocrite. When Muslims commit attacks he is right on the frontline ready to condemn it and remark about how evil the Muslims are and how they want to threaten "our" way of life. When whites are the perpetrators he drags his feet and gives half assed remarks with no passion. And we know this man knows how to show complete and utter hatred for what he dislikes. Cut the sh*t. Calling out double standards and demanding Trump live up to the standards he demanded of President Obama is not the left's hypocrisy, it is Trump's.

Here we go again.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2017, 08:59:22 PM »

When Muslims commit attacks, in the recent past they have always either declared allegiance to ISIS, or before ISIS was a thing, cited some ideological grievance. This Patterson guy, despite claims by ISIS that he acted on behalf of them, has no proven or ideological message that we know of emanating from him directly. It's not that he's a white man. Had he declared allegiance to some group or cause, then it would be different. Not that it makes it much better.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2017, 09:03:09 PM »

When Muslims commit attacks, in the recent past they have always either declared allegiance to ISIS, or before ISIS was a thing, cited some ideological grievance. This Patterson guy, despite claims by ISIS that he acted on behalf of them, has no proven or ideological message that we know of emanating from him directly. It's not that he's a white man. Had he declared allegiance to some group or cause, then it would be different. Not that it makes it much better.
Yeah. Sure.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:03 PM »

Yeah. Sure.
Good point.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2017, 09:08:06 PM »

Clearly, the 'all mass murder (not just Islamic-radical inspired attacks) is terrorism because it is also committed to cause terror' line of thinking did not age well...

There is a very specific nuance being missed that makes this unlike other domestic terrorism incidents, and it really isn't that difficult to understand.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2017, 10:05:17 PM »

There's a lot of possible evidence seemingly pointing to it being a left-winger. His attack on a country music festival, ISIS claiming responsibility, the ANTIFA literature in his room. Nothing's been confirmed yet but nothing discredited either.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »

There's a lot of possible evidence seemingly pointing to it being a left-winger. His attack on a country music festival, ISIS claiming responsibility, the ANTIFA literature in his room. Nothing's been confirmed yet but nothing discredited either.

Either you are saying radical Islamic terrorism is inherently left wing, or that ISIS views itself as fighters for the left wing. Both are nonsensical thoughts.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2017, 10:16:23 PM »

Antifa sucks, but I doubt he's connected with them. Really the only interesting thing we know about this guy is that his father was a famous bank robber.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #192 on: October 02, 2017, 10:17:45 PM »

Can you provide a source for the claim about literature? I haven’t seen that anywhere outside of InfoWars.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2017, 10:25:39 PM »

You got a source for that because it smells like bullsh**t.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »

Source?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »

Absolutely horrifying, but we've all become so numb to these events, so nothing is going to change. It's going to be the same old routine of "that's terrible", then back to business as usual. I hate how desensitized we've become.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #196 on: October 02, 2017, 11:06:09 PM »

Nothing will change. Thoughts, prayers, and moments of silence are pathetic excuses for "action" and the GOP will rue this.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #197 on: October 02, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »

After all their talk about how the real way to reduce gun violence is to crack down on illegally obtained guns, watch them do nothing.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2017, 01:11:29 AM »

ISIS and Anti-Fa! Working together!

Sounds totally plausible and not at all like you are on f**king meth.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2017, 04:51:32 AM »

US Department of Homeland Security should designate the NRA as a terrorist organisation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies